Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Griz
May 21, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

brown rice goes rancid. how old is it?

yeah brown rice has a shelf life of like 6 months

white rice keeps basically indefinitely in an airtight container with silica gel packets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Minera posted:

im sure he was motivated to start getting paid 70 million a year instead of 5 million a year because hes going to return all his other money to the other workers at the stadiums and on his teams because he is a true proletariat lol

:ok:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Salt Fish posted:

I think we can all agree that baseball is labor - unless that player owns stocks or any kind, rental property of any kind, or has any employees.

The baseball remains labor but those other things mean their class interests change though, but that's kind of beside the point probably

Anyway class affiliation isn't a matter of righteousness so much as an identification of shared material interests. I imagine it's generally in the interest of the working class for high profile workers to win more of the product of their labor through collective action, particularly if it contributes to the general sense of the working class's agency. I'd like to think working people would be watching and taking note

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

it didn’t come up in this thread but there was something else that came out in the retail discussions elsewhere. Merchandising and transportation shrink (theft in the supply chain stuff) were being lumped together on annual reports.

Merchandising includes sales discounting.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it didn’t come up in this thread but there was something else that came out in the retail discussions elsewhere. Merchandising and transportation shrink (theft in the supply chain stuff) were being lumped together on annual reports.

Merchandising includes sales discounting.

:sickos:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

the popes toes posted:

Bought a russet potato for a buck at the supermarket. I guess a big bag would be cheaper. But a buck for one potato? Ah well. It's tater time!

One of the loss leaders at the grocery the other day was a 3-lb bag of yellow onions for $.79 so you better believe I bought one. Half the onions are on the verge of going soft & I know I'll toss them but I still came out ahead.

When I was young & poor a baked potato with sour cream, butter & chives was one of my favorite dinners.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Willa Rogers posted:

When I was young & poor a baked potato with sour cream, butter & chives was one of my favorite dinners.
even if you aren't poor, it's still a top tier lazy dinner, and about just as healthy as other burgerlife options. the brits are disgusting but jacket potatos are good

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
tater dinner sounds like a good lazy option for me on WFH days, just pop that bad boy in the oven to eat at 5pm

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

take a sweet potato, put holes in it with a fork, get it wet and nuke for 4-6 minutes depending on size. always tasty and easy

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

no that's not how it works maybe you should read the marxism thread

:razz: :razz:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
shrinkflation would make me much less angry if the companies spun off their products into a premium line before gutting them

"oreos legacy", "pringles prime", whatever, just keep it the way it's always been. don't touch the size or swap out the ingredients.

but no, it won't do for me to spend slightly more to buy the treats i actually like slightly less often.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

actionjackson posted:

take a sweet potato, put holes in it with a fork, get it wet and nuke for 4-6 minutes depending on size. always tasty and easy

now i gotta gently caress the yams??

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Another shrinkflation thing I've noticed is ballpoint pens that have their ink reservoir filled with less ink than they used to.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

Another shrinkflation thing I've noticed is ballpoint pens that have their ink reservoir filled with less ink than they used to.

the worlds best pen (Pilot G-2 07) has recently fallen victim to this. inks not even two thirds full

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

i mean, any scenario where housing prices start to deflate significantly doesn't involve joe schmoe the science teacher being able to afford a house, or anyone smiling at the reduction in their property taxes. it involves the economy being in free fall, and tens of millions suddenly losing their jobs and no longer being able to afford their mortgages

Housing number go up is a societal suicide pact and there's no way out of it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i just use the bic stics or whatever, they seem to last forever

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Xaris posted:

the brits are disgusting but jacket potatos are good

did exactly this tonight.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nothus posted:

Housing number go up is a societal suicide pact and there's no way out of it.

stagnation.

an extended period of nominal housing price stagnation while there is a reduction in real value by inflation is a way out.

but everything says we’ve got atleast another 20 years of restricted supply.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

stagnation.

an extended period of nominal housing price stagnation while there is a reduction in real value by inflation is a way out.

but everything says we’ve got atleast another 20 years of restricted supply.

It's not a way out for the current system, because house price go up is not only the trick for convincing Americans that their material interests are fundamentally capitalist but is also the thing pensions were replaced with and social insurance was mostly ignored for. The average homeowner has around 70% of their own net worth in home equity, and the average homeowner has 40 times the net worth of the average renter--that stops and you've got as many people radically offended right away that you fully proletarianized them, and they're the ones who tend to have local pull, as you do people you've thrown a lifebuoy to by it and can be happy at the end of the two decades if it worked.

That's why it's a suicide pact, because it can only either ratchet until you find out exactly how many licks of immiseration it takes to get to the center of the "viable swamp Maoists in the metropole" pop, or stop ratcheting and let the reaction culminate in either a successful March on Rome or a Toseiha to make it fail.

Mandoric has issued a correction as of 06:57 on Dec 11, 2023

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

thank you for this post

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Xaris posted:

the brits are disgusting but jacket potatos are good

nah gently caress that, Rime was right about those

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

your class is determined by your relationship to capital not whether you're a millionaire or not, hth

gently caress no. guillotine all rich people.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

RadiRoot posted:

gently caress no. guillotine all rich people.

basic marxism bro

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ever heard of quantity becomes quality?

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
leftism is when you run society according to the equation; Power = Virtue = (# of hrs. building personal character at work) - (amount of corrupting money accumulated)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is 5G still a thing, or is that part of AI now

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

mawarannahr posted:

but my other uncle who lived in England would do it:
https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/473505964659073025?s=20

Guy went before a judge in England for shooting a golden eagle, he said, look your honor, it was an accident, I was shooting pheasant, the eagle flew into my line of fire, I didn't intend to kill it. Judge asked, well what did you do with it? He said, your honor, I ate it. Judge said, well out of curiosity what did it taste like? Guy answered, rather like swan.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

is 5G still a thing, or is that part of AI now

what do you mean?

5G has been rolled out to a lot of countries worldwide, and the most direct/practical application is that it lets you have much faster internet on your smartphone via the cellular network, for whatever you might want to use that for.

one neat application of 5G has been China using it to run automated/robotic systems in its port facilities: it would've been impractical to try to do it over wifi given the distances involved, and it would've been impossible to do it over 4G given the amount of data to be transferred when handling real-time telemetry

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

gradenko_2000 posted:

what do you mean?

5G has been rolled out to a lot of countries worldwide, and the most direct/practical application is that it lets you have much faster internet on your smartphone via the cellular network, for whatever you might want to use that for.

one neat application of 5G has been China using it to run automated/robotic systems in its port facilities: it would've been impractical to try to do it over wifi given the distances involved, and it would've been impossible to do it over 4G given the amount of data to be transferred when handling real-time telemetry

I think the OP was asking is it still a conspiracy theory specter haunting the minds of American lunatics

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

the worlds best pen (Pilot G-2 07) has recently fallen victim to this. inks not even two thirds full

i use the 1.0 refills in my epic tactical BOLT ACTION PEN that i bought myself for graduation ($100) (owner might be a chud?)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Von Sloneker posted:

Guy went before a judge in England for shooting a golden eagle, he said, look your honor, it was an accident, I was shooting pheasant, the eagle flew into my line of fire, I didn't intend to kill it. Judge asked, well what did you do with it? He said, your honor, I ate it. Judge said, well out of curiosity what did it taste like? Guy answered, rather like swan.

lol

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Pro Athletes are extremely important mascots for capitalism: if you work hard enough, you too can experience incredible economic mobility in our democratic, meritocratic, rules-based society.

shoutout though to Football (not American football) for distributing the highest percent of revenue to players as wages: 70% as of 2022. (for reference MLB is 54%, NBA is 50%, NHL is 50%, NFL is 48%, and the average among Tennis associations is 18%)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

I think the OP was asking is it still a conspiracy theory specter haunting the minds of American lunatics

what about 5G loving up weather forecasting did that happen

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

webcams for christ posted:

I don't think it's been mentioned here but the largest holding corperation in Austria, Signa Holding (owns a majority stake in the Chrysler Building, Hamburg Elbtower, Munich Karstadt Train Station, Berlin KaDeWe Mall, etc) is insolvent and currently undergoing bankruptcy / restructuring / liquidation. it's affecting a bunch of European e-commerce too

Late to that, but the owner was one of the major instigators of the Kurz takeover so it's not surprising it blows up soon ish after Kurz was pushed out.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

UBI would completely remove any class and political power from people, so really you just have to look ahead a decade, two, maybe a generation and see that the people obsessed with profits and who are ideologically poisoned against not just a welfare state, social welfare (in the sense of communal wellbeing) but the idea of society in general, and realize that given people would have total dependance on them, would be removed from any political power, lose the ability to use labour as leverage, and presumably be more socially isolated than ever and so unable to organize, the temptation to just starve out undesirables by ending UBI (which would be used as justification to cut most social benefits once implemented, that's how liberals talk about UBI now anyways) would be insurmountable.

I feel like a lot of squishy anarchist, progressive liberal types see UBI and MAID as positive things and not the perfect Calm Hitler solution to surplus labour, a play in two acts.

You don't have power because capitalists have to pay you. They have to pay you because you have power.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Wrong, the worlds best cheap pen is a pilot metropolitan.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

what if we guillotine them for being reactionaries rather than misunderstanding how Marxist class analysis works

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sustainable

https://x.com/unusual_whales/status/1734184001756156201?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

but I was told no one could possibly think 2020 was better than 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

but I was told no one could possibly think 2020 was better than 2023