Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Playing the greatest hits, "the dominant ideology is the ideology of the dominant class" from the The German Ideology.

As financial capitalism takes hold and becomes dominant in neoliberalism, it's the financier capitalist's worldview that becomes more imperative. As they have the greater means of capital and capital has more pull of power in those conditions, it is as if things are spontaneously rearranged in their favor.

Try to view such problems in their shoes. What background does the financier capitalist have? What education, what parents, what activities their families were involved? A CEO, a managerial financier, is someone who deals with the world in terms of finance, because that is their function, their social role. Individually, there are capitalists who of course have command of history, of sociology; there are the rare ones who do also have command of political economy.

However, even as powerful individuals, that doesn't mean that they necessarily are able to leverage that force in structural matters. For example: such an individual, seized by a bout of nationalist fervor and imperial sentiment, decides to mobilize capital to build a no-bullshit military factory. His potential investors, however, don't get swayed by the less-than-average predicted ROI and initial estimates of valuation. Raytheon, Lockheed et al don't like this unexpected surge of competition one bit and take to the government to judicially pile upon the company; consultant groups analyze if they would be committing unfair market practices by delivering prices below average rate while having lesser average profitability and so on and on

This individual wants to address a real material problem, but the others around him do not see how that can be interesting if there are no gains in profitability to be had, because that is the main ideological problem to be dealt with. "Do I receive a greater return than what I invested? Is that return better than other possible investments? How can I have more?"

This capitalist class takes things like redundancy or capacity as anathema. Efficiency, for them, is a purely financial angle: spend less as possible and get the most out of it for the sake of profit, not for the actual problem that they are engaging with.

Zodium posted:

tremendous post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah, it feels like one of the defining elements of the contemporary financial class is that they don't understand their methods are a scam. They genuinely believe that this tail chasing financialization is just the best possible way to organize society. The significance is that since they are true believers, they aren't going to change course even if it is in their interest to do so. That's why I don't think overtly financialized neoliberal states are able to fight and win actual wars. They either have to become a different sort of society or find an acceptable defeat that is able to be reframed as victory. When you no longer consider material reality to be significant on its own then managing perception is the safer and more profitable course.

This is some kind of AI reading? It's surprisingly good.

Yeah I apologize for the break into Italian pronunciation, the new multi-language model doesn't know when to stick to a language and when someone is using an expression. It doesn't usually break into Italian pronunciation.

I used the service everyone uses to re-dub Cum Town, Chapo and Red Scare in foreign languages, and then trained it on the narrator from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3PHVtTKpxA

e: Actor's name was Marvin Miller, for the interested.

https://voca.ro/15zwc7vVKRU7

https://voca.ro/1mHGDNlex7PQ

e: This take is better, but was before I worked in the section from A Christmas Carol
https://voca.ro/1215mNxS3fiD

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 01:53 on Dec 11, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

More proof that people don't read enough marx tbh.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Playing the greatest hits, "the dominant ideology is the ideology of the dominant class" from the The German Ideology.

very well put

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

crepeface posted:

very well put

Gramsci put it in a way that's more understandable to normal people, imo: common sense is just the ideology of the dominant class. All of that Max Weber stuff every middle class person in the Anglosphere implicitly or explicitly believes is just this.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's also not about returns.

US capitalists waste a lot of money on stupid and pointless projects with no return.

They have so much money that they don't even know what to do with it.

The problem is a lack of imagination. Not the means.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lostconfused posted:

US capitalists waste a lot of money on stupid and pointless projects with no return.

what if yachts that could launch more yachts

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah I apologize for the break into Italian pronunciation, the new multi-language model doesn't know when to stick to a language and when someone is using an expression. It doesn't usually break into Italian pronunciation.

I used the service everyone uses to re-dub Cum Town, Chapo and Red Scare in foreign languages, and then trained it on the narrator from this:

e: Actor's name was Marvin Miller, for the interested.

https://voca.ro/15zwc7vVKRU7

https://voca.ro/1mHGDNlex7PQ

e: This take is better, but was before I worked in the section from A Christmas Carol
https://voca.ro/1215mNxS3fiD

I don't know if it is literally this dude, but he tickles some nostalgia memory of documentaries in my youth. These are really good. Is the service some wink wink nudge nudge thing? I've never heard of it before.

I wonder how legally nervous this makes people if you train it on your own voice or someone who has given explicit permission. My sister works for an accessibility office at a college and sometimes has to record herself reading stuff for students and she'd probably love to use it at least before all this stuff puts her out of a job one day (everyone around her feels the doom on the horizon but that's a topic for another thread).

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Elon Musk can imagine himself needing a means to escape earth's gravity field.

He can't imagine himself ever needing a munitions factory.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It isn't about the actual returns but the perception and ideology of returns. My experience around wealthy types and corporate higher ups is that what they do is rarely any kind of actual optimized profitable course, but it's usually rationalized as so. Part of Bullshit Jobs is that a lot of corporate structure is unnecessary and therefore reduces profits, but it fits within the ideology/perceptions of how work is supposed to be conducted.

Otherwise, it's about flexing and flexing is generally not very imaginative.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Exactly, they have to imagine a bullshit excuse to do something.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

"The Americans won Midway via airplane wave tactics" would be an incredible bit to troll with

But... we did?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BrotherJayne posted:

But... we did?

that's why it would be funny - nobody would want to frame the narrative that way, even if it were true

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

FuzzySlippers posted:

It isn't about the actual returns but the perception and ideology of returns. My experience around wealthy types and corporate higher ups is that what they do is rarely any kind of actual optimized profitable course, but it's usually rationalized as so. Part of Bullshit Jobs is that a lot of corporate structure is unnecessary and therefore reduces profits, but it fits within the ideology/perceptions of how work is supposed to be conducted.

Otherwise, it's about flexing and flexing is generally not very imaginative.

why do they have this ideology tho

how did it become dominant

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

FuzzySlippers posted:

I don't know if it is literally this dude, but he tickles some nostalgia memory of documentaries in my youth. These are really good. Is the service some wink wink nudge nudge thing? I've never heard of it before.

I wonder how legally nervous this makes people if you train it on your own voice or someone who has given explicit permission. My sister works for an accessibility office at a college and sometimes has to record herself reading stuff for students and she'd probably love to use it at least before all this stuff puts her out of a job one day (everyone around her feels the doom on the horizon but that's a topic for another thread).

lol they have a bunch of stuff set up for "creators" so my guess is that either YouTubers or podcasters are already using it. Finding a way to turn books into audiobooks that's not Siri reading it in accessibility mode has been a lifesaver for me. I could do without, and I'm happy to pay for audiobooks where they exist. It's just that I have to read these 400 page books and sometimes it would be nice to listen to them while doing other things. It's a toy, in other words. I am also concerned that this is going to hurt voice acting.

Like everything else AI, it's a pastiche of real work real people dedicated themselves to, and no substitute. If I had Audible's money, I would pay actors and authors to come in and record, but I think the idea these companies are hoping for is that they'll own the rights to those actors voices or something instead.

https://elevenlabs.io/voice-lab

A silver lining - as you said, I expect they, like the AI art and generative text people, are going to get slapped for copyright violations sooner or later

I threw this together in 30 seconds from a small sample, so it's not very good, but it would still get you sued to oblivion, I'd imagine
https://voca.ro/13LMTjNZAEJ1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYttHXAszkk

Anyway, it's a fun little toy and for people who have to record themselves speak and hate it, I fall into that camp, certainly, it is kind of nice.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The only tts service I know that supports regex is on android (voice aloud), so the only way to read SA threads for me is use voice aloud with a lot of regex rules to remove/replace things I don't need to hear (such as poster reg/sig/av portion). I wish vouce aloud is on windows.

The voices themselves are just serviceable but I like it enough that I don't mind using to read epub files instead of going through the trouble of converting audible files into mp3 format.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Lostconfused posted:

Isn't "imagination" itself just suffering from the same issue? Every step of the process required to train someone to do proper research is also designed to maximize profits instead of maximize the efficiency and efficacy of said research.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the only text to voice service you need is xtranormal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux3IPRGK6F8

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the only text to voice service you need is xtranormal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux3IPRGK6F8

speaking of lf xtranormal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-JrPFkcEq4

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
goddamnit I was looking for that one instead and couldn’t find it by just searching for jdpon

guess I could have just browsed krinkle’s channel

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah, it feels like one of the defining elements of the contemporary financial class is that they don't understand their methods are a scam. They genuinely believe that this tail chasing financialization is just the best possible way to organize society. The significance is that since they are true believers, they aren't going to change course even if it is in their interest to do so. That's why I don't think overtly financialized neoliberal states are able to fight and win actual wars. They either have to become a different sort of society or find an acceptable defeat that is able to be reframed as victory. When you no longer consider material reality to be significant on its own then managing perception is the safer and more profitable course.

We can extend this analysis to other sectors. A lot of the MIC is obsessed with startupland (as is a lot of industry in the West in general) and startup people genuinely, deeply believe that delivering non-functional products is the best possible way of doing things.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

We can extend this analysis to other sectors. A lot of the MIC is obsessed with startupland (as is a lot of industry in the West in general) and startup people genuinely, deeply believe that delivering non-functional products is the best possible way of doing things.

It's never about delivering any product. It's all about making the valuation high as possible, selling and leaving the third or fourth round investors holding the bag as they lose their shirts.

Imagine a military that bets the bank on say, munitions delivered by trained owls. Really bets everything, invests a fortune. Then after 10-12 years the owl farm closes down, the shells are all discovered to be hollow and 100 billion has all been lost to consultant fees. And now you have a massive capability gap because you designed your whole force around the owls and can't undo the last 12 years of force planning.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 13:20 on Dec 11, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
so you are saying I can theoretically turn the thread into a radio play with a bunch of noir movie characters speaking to each other?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/japantimes/status/1734052553002815750?s=20

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

so you are saying I can theoretically turn the thread into a radio play with a bunch of noir movie characters speaking to each other?

Yes.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/air-force-recruiting-service-tracking-data/

lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

‘this isn’t like ace combat AT ALL’

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

"capitalist country who doesn't pay recruits enough shocked by capitalism happening"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

As financial capitalism takes hold and becomes dominant in neoliberalism, it's the financier capitalist's worldview that becomes more imperative. As they have the greater means of capital and capital has more pull of power in those conditions, it is as if things are spontaneously rearranged in their favor.

Try to view such problems in their shoes. What background does the financier capitalist have? What education, what parents, what activities their families were involved? A CEO, a managerial financier, is someone who deals with the world in terms of finance, because that is their function, their social role. Individually, there are capitalists who of course have command of history, of sociology; there are the rare ones who do also have command of political economy.

However, even as powerful individuals, that doesn't mean that they necessarily are able to leverage that force in structural matters. For example: such an individual, seized by a bout of nationalist fervor and imperial sentiment, decides to mobilize capital to build a no-bullshit military factory. His potential investors, however, don't get swayed by the less-than-average predicted ROI and initial estimates of valuation. Raytheon, Lockheed et al don't like this unexpected surge of competition one bit and take to the government to judicially pile upon the company; consultant groups analyze if they would be committing unfair market practices by delivering prices below average rate while having lesser average profitability and so on and on

This individual wants to address a real material problem, but the others around him do not see how that can be interesting if there are no gains in profitability to be had, because that is the main ideological problem to be dealt with. "Do I receive a greater return than what I invested? Is that return better than other possible investments? How can I have more?"

This capitalist class takes things like redundancy or capacity as anathema. Efficiency, for them, is a purely financial angle: spend less as possible and get the most out of it for the sake of profit, not for the actual problem that they are engaging with.

:hmmyes:

also lmao forever that capitalism can't even get people to sign up for fighter jock poo poo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol at Liz Warlord

quote:

One person keen to see the resulting data is Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), chair of the Senate Armed Services Committee’s subcommittee on personnel. Warren grilled the heads of the services’ recruiting commands, including AFRS boss Brig. Gen. Christopher Amrhein, at a Dec. 6 hearing, saying that many healthy candidates are held up in a lengthy medical accessions review process due to conditions as minor as a childhood wrist sprain.

The senator cited military data showing that one out of every six recruits needed a medical waiver in fiscal 2022. Getting through a review could add 70 or more days to the applications process for Army recruits, she said.

“Now obviously we want a screening process that catches disqualifying medical conditions, but do each of you agree that it is a problem if our process is creating unnecessary barriers to enrollment?” she asked. “It is an even bigger problem if all of that red tape is causing some healthy applicants to drop out of the recruitment process altogether.”

she has a way with troops and assessing their health

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

the ideology says that wasting a billion dollars on a hundred projects that all fail hoping to find one that will return 10 billion is better than investing a billion dollars for a 5% return because you can bail out of the 100 projects before they go tits up and hopefully make bank and leave other people holding the bag

DancingShade posted:

It's never about delivering any product. It's all about making the valuation high as possible, selling and leaving the third or fourth round investors holding the bag as they lose their shirts.

bingo

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Frosted Flake posted:

The more concerning thing imo is that it proves that colour revolutions can be induced to fight to the death and can't be rolled back.

I would expect a similar thing, liberal colour revolution paired with nazis, in Moldova, Georgia or one of the central asian republics.

You could if you perform a Hamas (Syria) morality play for negative reinforcement to the rest of the country.

Posting it here because of the weak of neoliberalism to manufacture enough artillery guns to encircle a town, produce plentiful artillery shells and replacement parts for artillery, train conscripts to sit in place and turn anyone back trying to retreat from a town, dig trenches, and have someone take the fall of a massacre.

AmyL has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Dec 11, 2023

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Thanks for the appreciation guyse.

---

crepeface posted:

why do they have this ideology tho

how did it become dominant

the super TL;DR of it is compound interest.

The longer answer: financial capitalism takes over industrial as more means of capital transaction become interesting or necessary for its own expansion, forming means of accumulation that are faster than the rate of expansion for material value. Engels on vol. 3:

"The Stock Exchange", Friedrich Engels, notes to Capital vol. 3 posted:

1. The position of the stock exchange in capitalist production in general is clear from Vol. III, Part 5, especially Chapter [27]. But since 1865, when the book was written, a change has taken place which today assigns a considerably increased and constantly growing role to the stock exchange, and which, as it develops, tends to concentrate all production, industrial as well as agricultural, and all commerce, the means of communication as well as the functions of exchange, in the hands of stock exchange operators, so that the stock exchange becomes the most prominent representative of capitalist production itself.

[...]

At that time, the stock exchange was still a place where the capitalists took away each other’s accumulated capital, and which directly concerned the workers only as new proof of the demoralising general effect of capitalist economy and as confirmation of the Calvinist doctrine that predestination (alias chance) decides, even in this life, blessedness and damnation, wealth, i.e., enjoyment and power, and poverty, i.e., privation and servitude.

[...]

Now it is otherwise. Since the crisis of 1866 accumulation has proceeded with ever-increasing rapidity, so that in no industrial country, least of all in England, could the expansion of production keep up with that of accumulation, or the accumulation of the individual capitalist be completely utilised in the enlargement of his own business; English cotton industry as early as 1845; the railway swindles. But with this accumulation the number of rentiers, people who were fed up with the regular tension in business and therefore wanted merely to amuse themselves or to follow a mild pursuit as directors or governors of companies, also rose.

Through stocks and all sorts of securities, a speculative valuation can be assigned to companies on the combination of its factories, stores, resources, production, etc - that can be summarized in its share ticket price. The stock price does not reflect at all what the actual material value of the company is. But this valuation can be then operated in many, many different forms that can provide massive returns larger than the actual material value produced by the company (such as in options etc), through the magic of fictitious capital. The stockbroker could loan, invest and speculate on twenty different factories at the same time, while the industrialist works only on his own business; the stockbroker also provides the credit for the industrialist for that exact same reason. This eventually leads to

The Oldest Man posted:

the ideology says that wasting a billion dollars on a hundred projects that all fail hoping to find one that will return 10 billion is better than investing a billion dollars for a 5% return because you can bail out of the 100 projects before they go tits up and hopefully make bank and leave other people holding the bag

Contemporary capitalism is extremely grift-welcoming because for that type of capitalist (the bourgeois person with Actual Money) matters little to piss cash if it can pulverize into two hundred ventures in which one will flip into an "unicorn" and make jackpot once it goes into initial public offer. Money managers, who are not in the top level but occupy second or third in global capitalism, are there for the very reason of organizing and expediting that process in smaller firms (such as in the form of venture capital).

Another way to not worry about it is just to form a Blackrock who does everything for you, while also guaranteeing your Actual Money through being major investor in many Actual Companies That Provide Lots of Actual Revenue, such as wal-mart, amazon, exxon, chevron, apple etc. You will never get to become a Walton or anything like that, but you get to be on a nice eight to a cool twelve billion USD mark (publicly ofc, you might have way more) without absolutely any effort at all. Every now and then you get a payday because they have flipped an unicorn.

Everything is pretty good until that person suddenly has to try their hand at the 155mm Shell Production International Index. How do you make hands and a mind that have never really struggled in laboring for real value understand that they cannot solve this problem by throwing cash at it?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Contemporary capitalism is extremely grift-welcoming because for that type of capitalist (the bourgeois person with Actual Money) matters little to piss cash if it can pulverize into two hundred ventures in which one will flip into an "unicorn" and make jackpot once it goes into initial public offer.

It's very hard to explain to normies that IPOs are not when you can get in on the ground floor, but rather when all the real players recruit bag-holders so they can cash out.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Everything is pretty good until that person suddenly has to try their hand at the 155mm Shell Production International Index. How do you make hands and a mind that have never really struggled in laboring for real value understand that they cannot solve this problem by throwing cash at it?

Well, you present solutions that require cash being thrown at it, Excalibur, the proposed new RA shells, loving ramjets. Those are all extremely expensive, so it satisfies the requirement that they have a way to throw money at a problem.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The market has spoken.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, you present solutions that require cash being thrown at it, Excalibur, the proposed new RA shells, loving ramjets. Those are all extremely expensive, so it satisfies the requirement that they have a way to throw money at a problem.

Of course. Which, by self-contradictions of capitalism, managed to create categories of capitalists in their middle and lower echelons, such as the grifter-sorta-entrepreneur

These are people who are very well-off and specialize in setting up businesses and companies that are specifically targeted to capture the money from the inability/incapacity/unwillingness of the Actually Rich People for a solution to a problem. Solving is completely apart of the purpose here. What these provide are means of value extraction through a parlor trick, offering a vehicle than can solve the problem while also providing a future investment payoff, but also as means of serious narcissistic gratification for the investors (a secondary function in the individual level of things). For examples, see any startup that tried to come with something other than trains for public transit

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Something something neoliberals and liberals not remembering history, focused on short-term market value something something.

AmyL has issued a correction as of 20:59 on Dec 11, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

ironic that this video really drives home how much we're all missing out now that no one uses live orchestras for film / television anymore. lmao at 0:20 - 0:45

also thank you dead gay comedy forums for your excellent content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

AmyL posted:

Something something neoliberals and liberals not remembering history, focused on short-term market value something something.

look if you diverted more MIC pork barrels to the constituencies of the Ms. Insider Trader she might figure out the real problem isn't because of 70 days waiting for medicals