Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Godzilla Megathread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Godzilla Megathread: the most fun a man can have in a rubber suit

This but amend it to add & Kaiju to after Godzilla

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Godzilla Megathread:

:emptyquote:

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Godzilla Megathread: Look at this kaiju’s huge balls of fire

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

FooF posted:

Godzilla Megathread: Look at this kaiju’s huge balls

Stop digging when you hit gold

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FooF posted:

Godzilla Megathread: Look at this kaiju’s huge balls of fire

Please, those were Godzilla's huge electrode balls as shown in Godzilla vs Hedorah.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

(except the American ones. they've got nothing for me, tho i need to go back to 98 to see how much of an artifact if its era it is)

it’s the best American Godzilla movie, for whatever that’s worth

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it’s the best American Godzilla movie, for whatever that’s worth

that's how my memory has it

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Went and saw Godzilla -1 again today with subtitles this time. I had seen it before in Japan and of course don't understand Japanese.

Definitely some important bits I didn't get when I saw it before but surprisingly little. Only things with no really obvious visual indicator or other obvious historical context.

It's a movie that's well acted and nearly everything in it is portrayed in a way you can get without language and the emotional punch to it still hit home for me on both viewings. I couldn't say that about Shin. Not that that's a qualitative comparison. Just interesting to me as it speaks to how different the movies are from each other.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FooF posted:

The fact that G-1 didn't really delve into where the hell the giant monster came from doesn't bother me in the least.

I'm glad the movie is doing well, though. It deserves it.

"That must be Godzilla."
"WTF?"
"The locals told me about it, it comes ashore sometimes."

I really liked that. Big G has always been around, since before there were any authorities to tell about a giant lizard. The locals just roll with it. Then there was the A Bomb test, and now it's bearhugging buildings in Tokyo and throwing warships around like toys.

The financial success is going to be what gets more movies made, but I hope this gets the critical acclaim it so clearly deserves.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

MrMojok posted:

Granted there are still a couple of them I haven’t seen. Ebirah, and Biollante are the main ones.

But this is my top ten:

Gojira 1954
Godzilla Minus One 2023
Shin Godzilla 2016
GMK 2001
Godzilla 2014
Return of Godzilla 1984
Mothra vs Godzilla 1964
Tokyo SOS 2003
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 2019
Destroy All Monsters 1968

Tokyo SOS but not against mechagodzilla is a rare choice

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can see the argument for it. I also think Tokyo SOS is the better film. Against Mechagodzilla has a good ending but a lot of it kinda drags and despite the Godzilla suit looking good it's also borderline static in most scenes.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

It's impressive how the Monster Planet trilogy manages to have both the worst Mechagodzilla and Ghidorah.

Legendary stooges are ok, other than being filmed too close you can't see his fat rear end.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

At least the anime trilogy gave the MikuMikuDance crowd some new toys to play with

MechaGodzilla vs Godzilla Earth
Ghidorah vs Godzilla Earth

They've also done short films with Gigan and Shin Hedorah

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Vinylshadow posted:

At least the anime trilogy gave the MikuMikuDance crowd some new toys to play with

Gigan looks like the mall ninja guy that works at best buy.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

BiggestBatman posted:

Tokyo SOS but not against mechagodzilla is a rare choice

I think Tokyo SOS is a better-made film (best practical FX the series has ever had), but it's safer and less interesting character-wise. GxMechagodzilla has more interesting stuff going on ideas- and characters-wise, although it doesn't always land.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HannibalBarca posted:

I think Tokyo SOS is a better-made film (best practical FX the series has ever had), but it's safer and less interesting character-wise. GxMechagodzilla has more interesting stuff going on ideas- and characters-wise, although it doesn't always land.

Yeah, like how they drop Akane in the second. I liked her and that never set right.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
-1 is amazing. I was concerned a little because the last time I was looking forward to a movie this much going in was The Last Jedi and well.... :barf:

Thankfully this one delivered, it loving ruled. Also I will not stand for this Space Godzilla slander

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Nodoze posted:

Thankfully this one delivered, it loving ruled. Also I will not stand for this Space Godzilla slander

Chakrazilla rules, he goes to a yoga retreat in space and comes back full of pumpkin spice energy

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Godzilla vs. Megathread

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Godzilla vs. Megathread

Godzilla vs MechaMegathread

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

Godzilla vs MechaMegathread

:hmmyes:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vinylshadow posted:

Those first 2 made me realize that battles like. that couldn't have saved the movie trilogy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Those first 2 made me realize that battles like. that couldn't have saved the movie trilogy.

If anything there should have been less action.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dang

https://x.com/azuken01/status/1734123300752932976?s=20

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

If anything there should have been less action.

Less action and more space dwarfs talking about technology while a prissy space elf rattles off more tortured metaphors and Sakaki just keeps frothing and shouting die die die die die?

No I don't think that would save it either.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

I completely forgot about the space dwarves and elves. I only remember a guy that wants to kill Godzilla so bad that he'll gently caress everything up to try. And fail.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Saw G-1 with the wife the other day, we both absolutely loved it. My ideal Godzilla movie would still be one where Godzilla himself is the protagonist, but failing that, having an actually interesting protagonist with a compelling story was nice. A very nice counterpoint to the Legendary films that insist they're about the characters but still build them out of cardboard.

I just strongly appreciate a story about the meaninglessness of self-sacrifice. Koichi and other characters think that he should have died, and that if cowards were less cowardly, things would have turned out differently, and countering that idea is the main theme. My wife pointed out that one interpretation of the title is that if Koichi had carried out his kamikaze attack, or been killed on Odo Island, then who would have been there to carry out the final attack in the end? What would Godzilla have done 'minus one,' without Koichi? Just such a refreshing counterpoint to the million and one war and superhero stories about the courageous necessity of self-sacrifice.

In general though, some of our favorite scenes were some of the campier wanton destruction--ships flying through the air from offscreen, that sort of thing. We were cackling in an otherwise-silent theater. If we wanted more of that, what would be a good next watch? I think I saw someone describe vs. Megalon upthread as "tag-team wrestling," which sounds about right.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Muscle Tracer posted:

I think I saw someone describe vs. Megalon upthread as "tag-team wrestling," which sounds about right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuEa6Hum0b4

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s kind wild how many people ITT are like “oh, after G Minus One, we must admit that all other Godzilla movies are for weirdos and have never been truly good until now.”

I don't see it that way. I see a bunch of us who love a lot of different niche films in different ways who've struggled with choosing which films to use to introduce friends or loved ones to the genre being excited that we've been given an unalloyed good pro-tier choice. This movie threads a tough needle of quality, performance, and memorability. Do I enjoy other Godzilla films more? Probably. Biollante and Terror of Mechagodzilla are real far up there. Monster Zero is tons of fun. I hold the original in higher esteem than that same year's Seven Samurai. Shin's great, too. Hell, I have a soft spot for vs Gigan of all things.

But this is a very drat good, and, crucially, modern film overall, it does a fantastic job of just being enthralling and entertaining without needing to apologize for or make winking meta-jokes about being a giant monster movie. It takes itself seriously and absolutely benefits as a result, and it does it all without devolving into a soulless mess. It's a piece of work with a lot of confidence, and I admire that.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 11, 2023

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Desumaytah posted:

I don't see it that way. I see a bunch of us who love a lot of different niche films in different ways who've struggled with choosing which films to use to introduce friends or loved ones to the genre being excited that we've been given an unalloyed good pro-tier choice. This movie threads a tough needle of quality, performance, and memorability. Do I enjoy other Godzilla films more? Probably. Biollante and Terror of Mechagodzilla are real far up there. Monster Zero is tons of fun. I hold the original in higher esteem than that same year's Seven Samurai. Shin's great, too. Hell, I have a soft spot for vs Gigan of all things.

But this is a very drat good, and, crucially, modern film overall, it does a fantastic job of just being enthralling and entertaining without needing to apologize for or make winking meta-jokes about being a giant monster movie. It takes itself seriously and absolutely benefits as a result, and it does it all without devolving into a soulless mess. It's a piece of work with a lot of confidence, and I admire that.

I agree with this, I love cheesy rubber suit bullshit and quality in-camera effects for all eternity but this is the Godzilla movie I can tell family and friends to watch. Shin is awesome but it's still not imo accessable to like the average person who is dead set on the idea that Godzilla is corny dumb scifi

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

they really should do another rubber suit one though

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

they really should do another rubber suit one though

Agreed but honestly rubber suits are most likely going to be confined to smaller indy Kaiju movies and tokusatsu shows like Ultraman and such from now on (this year's Ultraman series, Ultraman Blazar has a BUNCH of new Kaiju).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd like to see a rubber suit movie that keeps the physicality we've seen in Legendary Goji and Minus One Goji. Throw some punches.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Part of me wonders how much of this film's success can be attributed to having a big central romance plot that might (thinking like a cynical movie producer) bring in a segment of the moviegoing public who traditionally wouldn't be drawn by the spectacle of cities being leveled by guys in dinosaur costumes.

Like of the more recent entries in the franchise (still haven't seen Vs Kong):
KotM was almost anti-romantic in the struggle between White Football Dad and his insane ex-wife
Skull Island maybe had some romantic chemistry in an action-adventure-movie way but more just to check off a box of "things that are in an action adventure movie,"
Shin was everyone being incredibly professional and not having much in the way of elaborate human drama because everyone has More Important poo poo to deal with
2014 had... well there was some chemistry between Army Dude and his wife, but it was a central conceit of the plot that circumstances kept them from being in the same scene for 95% of the movie. The MUTOs had more on-screen romance.

And I don't remember much of the Millennium era, but it's not like Final Wars had a romance for the ages in it between Not Keanu Reeves and that one scientist lady.

I'm not going to say "Oh this one is unique because it's about the characters," or something, because all Godzilla movies are REALLY about the characters at the end of the day. It's just been a while since we had this much screentime devoted to a man and a woman talking about their feelings and relationship outside the context of a right-that-minute giant monster apocalypse. And that's historically a not-insignificant part of these kinds of movies, at least in the Showa era. Hell, the first movie had a love triangle involving tortured eyepatch geniuses, that is catnip to the sort of people who like weepy romantic dramas.

I'm not even saying that these movies do better when there's something for ~the ladies~ or whatever, though historically the franchise tends to spike in ticket sales when Mothra shows up. It's just a more balanced four-quarters crowd-pleaser than we've seen in like... 20 years? It's refreshing. It's like Titanic, it's got something for everyone.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd like to see a rubber suit movie that keeps the physicality we've seen in Legendary Goji and Minus One Goji. Throw some punches.

What I'm amazed at with G-1 is that it seems that there was no motion capture as far as I've seen, but completely animated. This is a first for any live action G movie as far as I can tell. Just goes to show if you get professionals in their field to do what they know to do, you get amazing results, because Minus One is one of the best looking & moving Godzillas ever made.

I'll most likely go see the new G & K movie, but I have to say that Godzilla running in that trailer scene looks so drat OFF is that it looks like they mocapped a guy running like hell and didn't consider Godzilla's anatomy at all. I have no problem with Godzilla running, but I think it should look like they considered his massive tail etc.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

KotM was almost anti-romantic in the struggle between White Football Dad and his insane ex-wife

it had a pretty good romance between Godzilla and Mothra

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Asterite34 posted:

Skull Island maybe had some romantic chemistry in an action-adventure-movie way but more just to check off a box of "things that are in an action adventure movie,"

I think it was KWaste who pointed out how much Skull Island seems to go out of its way to avoid featuring romance.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really enjoyed K. Waste's Devotional on Minus One.

Shikishima got a lot of poo poo for not shooting Godzilla with the machine gun but I get the impression it wouldn't have been effective. He likely would have been killed, like he would have if he had carried out his kamikaze attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I really enjoyed K. Waste's Devotional on Minus One.

Shikishima got a lot of poo poo for not shooting Godzilla with the machine gun but I get the impression it wouldn't have been effective. He likely would have been killed, like he would have if he had carried out his kamikaze attack.

:yeah:

I do like that it's ambiguous enough though that It is believable why he feels responsible. It's a path untraveled similar to his kamikaze mission that leaves him with the nagging question of "If I had done it, would that have been enough?"