Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

King of Solomon posted:

They decided to add a new bachelorette two thirds into the game's main story. It sucks because I wanna meet everyone before making any choices like that

Is she in an update the consoles don't have yet? It seems like I'm almost done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

FireWorksWell posted:

Is she in an update the consoles don't have yet? It seems like I'm almost done.

Did you build a school?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

King of Solomon posted:

Did you build a school?

I haven't had that come up yet. The most recent thing I've got going on is Wei's first meeting.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

She's coming soon-ish, then.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

You do get refunded if you say delete a floor of your house later.

Oh, nice! That definitely lowers the risk.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Me when I come across a group of pensky.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Me when I come across a group of pensky.

It's a shame but that wool cloth won't make itself.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Well, this has been a pleasant surprise. Never really got into life sims but something about the setting and characters here is really charming without being cloying or cartoonish.

Some noob questions:
- Is there any way to track ingredients for things that aren't commissions or whatever's currently on your assembler, like machine upgrades?

- How important are cooking and farming? So far I've just been doing Owen's farming requests and growing a coffee tree because I saw a tip saying that would pay off, and I haven't touched cooking at all.

- I can't seem to increase relationships beyond 3 hearts, I'm assuming this is a story related limit? I've just rebuilt the bridge

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Godlessdonut posted:

It's a shame but that wool cloth won't make itself.

Making a puppy-penguin animal seems like they'd make it to bring up a point about animal cruelty or something. But I guess we have seemingly sapient kangaroo boxers walking around too.

I do wonder about the ecology a bit, would not have minded some more environmental cues as to how they exist or live, besides waddling around in exposed sand dunes night and day.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Khanstant posted:

Making a puppy-penguin animal seems like they'd make it to bring up a point about animal cruelty or something. But I guess we have seemingly sapient kangaroo boxers walking around too.

I do wonder about the ecology a bit, would not have minded some more environmental cues as to how they exist or live, besides waddling around in exposed sand dunes night and day.

The funny thing is that I usually take down the kangaroo boxers with my pistol and doing so makes the game feel a bit tonally dark.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Gato posted:

Well, this has been a pleasant surprise. Never really got into life sims but something about the setting and characters here is really charming without being cloying or cartoonish.

Some noob questions:
- Is there any way to track ingredients for things that aren't commissions or whatever's currently on your assembler, like machine upgrades?

Disappointingly, no.

quote:

- How important are cooking and farming? So far I've just been doing Owen's farming requests and growing a coffee tree because I saw a tip saying that would pay off, and I haven't touched cooking at all.

Not very. Eventually you'll open up another mission board where you can deliver grown plants and cooked stuff for rewards just like you can deliver machine parts for rewards; there will be side plots where grown stuff are requirements; and homegrowing your own healing may be nice. But putting a lot of effort into it is just a waste of time. You won't really need more than one of each type of tree.

quote:

- I can't seem to increase relationships beyond 3 hearts, I'm assuming this is a story related limit? I've just rebuilt the bridge

It's not a limit I'm aware of but maybe?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

King of Solomon posted:

They decided to add a new bachelorette two thirds into the game's main story. It sucks because I wanna meet everyone before making any choices like that

I had two rapid back-to-back thoughts reaching this post in the conversation, namely: "I have no idea who that is" followed by "how could I possibly not be 2/3 of the way through this game it's been 70 loving hours" so I went on the wiki and checked the list of main missions and lmao this game is loving huge

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

The funny thing is that I usually take down the kangaroo boxers with my pistol and doing so makes the game feel a bit tonally dark.

AFAIK there aren't boxing gloves in the game and there should be. Make it a fair fight.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Meiteron posted:

I had two rapid back-to-back thoughts reaching this post in the conversation, namely: "I have no idea who that is" followed by "how could I possibly not be 2/3 of the way through this game it's been 70 loving hours" so I went on the wiki and checked the list of main missions and lmao this game is loving huge

It really is, it's awesome.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If the pacing ends up being like Portia, I found that for the last 30% or so of the game, it goes much faster. Toward the end of Portia, I would just sleep days away to get to the next story mission because I had burned through the other content.

In the beginning, there is too much to do every day when trying to juggle main missions, side quests, building up your workshop, gathering resources, etc. By the end, there aren't as many side quests and your workshop should be fairly developed, so I would end up with days where I had literally nothing that I felt like it "had" to be done. Especially when you have so much money and workshop ranking that you don't really need commissions anymore.

I suspect they have a handful of characters as late introductions to pace out the side content a little more.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

AFAIK there aren't boxing gloves in the game and there should be. Make it a fair fight.

There are; they just happen to fire laser beams too

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Gato posted:

Some noob questions:

-No and it sucks, custom tracking would be very nice but alas.

-Farming is important insofar as you get commissions down the line that want grown produce, and there are some other heavily requested items like canvas that have an ingredient that can be grown. Also grow like 50 rose willow and just put it in a chest out of mind, trust me on this you will thank me later. Much, much later. Cooking really isn't important at all, there's nothing you can make that's all that better than what you'll buy out of the salvage ruin vending machines or get from Owen in terms of health/stam regen or buffs. Past a certain point there is one recurring commission for meat stuffed mushrooms that you have to cook and is pretty lucrative but that's kinda it.

-There's no time limit on relationships, just keep gifting stuff and completing main missions and you'll push past.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

skeleton warrior posted:

Not very. Eventually you'll open up another mission board where you can deliver grown plants and cooked stuff for rewards just like you can deliver machine parts for rewards; there will be side plots where grown stuff are requirements; and homegrowing your own healing may be nice. But putting a lot of effort into it is just a waste of time. You won't really need more than one of each type of tree.

I've been doing farm stuff (without any cooking) for passive income over time, I get a couple hundred from harvesting every day and I sell off at a few stores. I've still got a lot to sell but they only refresh so much gol at a time. What have people been doing to make their money instead of farming?

This game keeps wowing me with how long it goes and the amount of content it's packing. I still have no idea when this factory y'all keep talking about is going to show up but I'm looking forward to it.

Unrelated but I've had Amirah clean the sand from my machines for a while now, and I'm still amused by how often she does it. Sometimes I'll be doing stuff and see her double back at Hugo's store to go clean off the newest speck of sand. I'm not sure if she's ever actually made it to her store.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hahaha I don't think she ever did that for me, that's funny don't think it ever came up. Does anyone else do chores for you before the obvious spoiler one later?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

You can have your spouse do chores via a board you can build

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The "bring me cooked/grown stuff" things draws from the same limit as the "build me stuff" things. I usually pick based on what pays more, because I'd rather deliver some mushrooms to Ernest again for 1,400 than bring steel to Hugo for 500, but if the pay is close, I will go by whatever's convenient. I'm not going all the way out to the Moisture Farm for an extra twenty bucks when Amirah is asking for food and I'm delivering stuff to her anyway, you know?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean, they're nice as a way to still max out your commissions on a given day and get some money without straining your resources or machines. Like if there's a big main quest build order that's taking up all my resources, it's nice to still be able to get some money and commission points by bringing Vivi some tea and Ernest 20,000 plates of stuffed mushrooms.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

It's not a limit I'm aware of but maybe?

It took a lot of bashing different keywords into google to finally find the single steam community post reporting the same thing, but turns out the heart display just doesn't accurately reflect your actual relationship level. So the heart appears as full before you reach the next threshold but the number continues to go up in the background.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

FireWorksWell posted:

I've been doing farm stuff (without any cooking) for passive income over time, I get a couple hundred from harvesting every day and I sell off at a few stores. I've still got a lot to sell but they only refresh so much gol at a time. What have people been doing to make their money instead of farming?

Commissions, side quests, and time. I don’t think I’ve sold more than 500 gols of stuff across the course of my game.

There’s a social skill where you earn extra money for finishing a commission same-day. That’s hard to do at first, but if you build two of each machine and have them running constantly with “what does my inventory say I have less than twenty of” you can generally get to the point where commissions are asking you for bars and pieces you’ve got, and you’re only really reacting to the big story/level commissions, and then eventually you can start same-daying the big stuff. Same-daying also means you’re turning in more commissions each day, so you’re generally taking in more and now making a bonus on top of that.

The other help is another social skill that gives more extra money for submitting something of higher quality, and once you have the refiner, it’s usually pretty easy to refine big single orders for an extra 10% cash.

Harder to get because it’s the last skill in a tree of three, but you can eventually get a social skill that gives you +10% gols for commissions while you’re advertising your shop in the paper.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Seems like fairly quickly you notice the same items popping up in commissions, too, so you can plan ahead.

Also as you progress you’ll be able to do more than two commissions per day.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Picking a full set of commissions for stuff you already have ready to turn in is the best.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Picking a full set of commissions for stuff you already have ready to turn in is the best.

Even better is also having the materials for 3-4 story-based commissions that you can take concurrently with regular commissions.

And having enough stuff to instantly bang out a request for a water tower for an easy 10k? Heck yeah.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha during early access it felt almost like cheating so I made sure to stop playing as soon as I finished the current story to wait for the next part, but then I did that and still was able to pull it off without any lingering cheating feelings and it was great. I like that it's balanced that if you're playing for maximizing workshop ASAP you get the satisfaction of completing immediately, while the game itself is generous enough you can start from scratch and complete it at a leisurely pace all the same.

Not mechanically incentivizing min max behaviour makes for better design for chill gaming while not detracting at all from the satisfaction and motivations of being a workshopaholic.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hey Yan you uh...you ok there buddy?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Godlessdonut posted:

Hey Yan you uh...you ok there buddy?

He's clearly living his best life.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I got to the point where Nia comes back. She told me that my parents had been asking about things, including my love life, but she's not going to tell them anything about that. But I could tell her, and she asked if there was anybody I liked, with the answers being "no," "yes," or ":h:I was waiting for you."

I told her yes, and her "oh...really?" was so disappointed. Why do I have to keep breaking hearts, Sandrock. :negative:

And to rub salt in the wound, there was one of those "let's do a hangout as an actual mission" things afterwards, and in a good chunk of those, you get flirty options. The feel for most of them was doing the "I am showing the fact that I am interested in you," but the way these were written was more "I am picking up what you are putting down." Maybe next time. :(

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

skeleton warrior posted:

Commissions, side quests, and time. I don’t think I’ve sold more than 500 gols of stuff across the course of my game.

There’s a social skill where you earn extra money for finishing a commission same-day. That’s hard to do at first, but if you build two of each machine and have them running constantly with “what does my inventory say I have less than twenty of” you can generally get to the point where commissions are asking you for bars and pieces you’ve got, and you’re only really reacting to the big story/level commissions, and then eventually you can start same-daying the big stuff. Same-daying also means you’re turning in more commissions each day, so you’re generally taking in more and now making a bonus on top of that.

The other help is another social skill that gives more extra money for submitting something of higher quality, and once you have the refiner, it’s usually pretty easy to refine big single orders for an extra 10% cash.

Harder to get because it’s the last skill in a tree of three, but you can eventually get a social skill that gives you +10% gols for commissions while you’re advertising your shop in the paper.

I've been doing day-one commissions for a few weeks new; the only time I miss is when I haven't farmed up petrified wood in a few days. I never figured out how to do the ad thing so I haven't leveled them up at all. Come to think of it the skill tree mentions inspections somewhere and I have no idea what that's about.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

FireWorksWell posted:

I've been doing day-one commissions for a few weeks new; the only time I miss is when I haven't farmed up petrified wood in a few days. I never figured out how to do the ad thing so I haven't leveled them up at all. Come to think of it the skill tree mentions inspections somewhere and I have no idea what that's about.

You do ads by checking the news thingy outside City Hall. There's a bit in the lower right saying "space for rent," and below that is a "place ad" button. You pay 100 Gols, and for a week you get some combination of more XP, more rep, or more money for doing jobs. Exactly what you get is random, and you can cancel it and pay again if you want. I usually don't bother rerolling for better ads, though.

Inspections are available at the guild office every Saturday and Sunday. There's six items, and it's a "spot the differences" thing. There has been grumbling in the thread about "these scuffs are loving impossible to see, especially since most of this garbage is built out of scrap," which I agree with, some bring a wad of magnifying glasses, because using one will tell you where the thing you're supposed to hit is.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
What does the inspection do for you? I was also wondering what that skill was referring to. I was expecting my workshop to get inspected at the end of the first month lol

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Inspections get you money, reputation, and XP. If you don't make any mistakes, you can also earn some of those bullshit funbux you can spend at the store for various bits and bobs, like power stones and crap. If you do make a mistake, you get a magnifying glass so you can use it to not gently caress up next time.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Thank you so much!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

What does the inspection do for you? I was also wondering what that skill was referring to. I was expecting my workshop to get inspected at the end of the first month lol

Inspections are just a way to earn a little extra money and rep.

In My Time at Portia, you couldn't take commissions on Saturday/Sunday, so it was a bit of downtime production-wise to catch up. Inspections were there to earn rep on the weekend when you're not doing commissions.

For Sandrock, you can take commissions every day, even on weekends. Half of the time, I forget about inspections because of this.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Mordiceius posted:

For Sandrock, you can take commissions every day, even on weekends.
And that change came to pass because Yan found a loophole in labor laws. :allears:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yan's the real hero of Sandrock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

MechaCrash posted:

I got to the point where Nia comes back. She told me that my parents had been asking about things, including my love life, but she's not going to tell them anything about that. But I could tell her, and she asked if there was anybody I liked, with the answers being "no," "yes," or ":h:I was waiting for you."

I told her yes, and her "oh...really?" was so disappointed. Why do I have to keep breaking hearts, Sandrock. :negative:

And to rub salt in the wound, there was one of those "let's do a hangout as an actual mission" things afterwards, and in a good chunk of those, you get flirty options. The feel for most of them was doing the "I am showing the fact that I am interested in you," but the way these were written was more "I am picking up what you are putting down." Maybe next time. :(

If you marry before she arrives in town thats like "you got married without telling me?!?" and you can reply "I'll tell you next time :smuggo:"