Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kestral posted:

If you were putting together a sort of RPG charcuterie plate for people who have only ever played D&D, and you wanted to provide a sampler for the modern landscape of the hobby, what would you put on it?

Microscope to see how much a group can create with a fairly small amount of rules and some structured improv

Fellowship 2E to see how different a game with roughly the same elevator pitch as D&D can be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Try Golden Sky Stories or Honey Heist - give 'em a chance to play a game that isn't 90% rules for murdering someone and stealing their poo poo

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
What would be a good system where you can play in a setting that is like the vibes in this music video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1xZ_kAhjMc

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Kestral posted:

If you were putting together a sort of RPG charcuterie plate for people who have only ever played D&D, and you wanted to provide a sampler for the modern landscape of the hobby, what would you put on it?

With all that in mind, what else should I consider putting in here to showcase meaningfully different facets of the hobby, that you can get a decent idea of in 1-4 short sessions, with five players?

I really like games that different kinds of players would enjoy. Take them on a tour of different approaches to roleplaying.

Ghostbusters: International may be the best RPG ever written. Open up a Ghostbusters franchise in your town, see what happens. While folks with hesitate roleplaying a one armed dwarven rogue, they’ll totally be fine being Winston or Walter Peck…but a good guy.

Amber Diceless is super unique. Grab a deck of cards, place everyone in their own rooms, and roleplay out a bunch of nobles vying for the throne.

Fate is a game that really needs to be on this list. It just opens the door to so many other games and approaches to play.

Stealing the Throne is a game that I think gets into a teamwork mood. It is also GM-less and all the prep you do at the table. It offers something different than Amber but also different than most other games in that you have to spend some time making the world and don’t answer to a GM.

Dungeon Crawl Classics: Portal Under the Stars is leaning in to dnd and taking away all pretense that your character matters. Smash a buttton for 4-8 characters and watch them all die. If they like the game, their survivors suddenly seem interesting.

I think you can learn a lot about how the ttrpg world works through one shots of these games. In fact, I think these (or similar equivalents) would probably make a good first step in an OKcupid for rpg groups.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

PuttyKnife posted:

Amber Diceless is super unique. Grab a deck of cards, place everyone in their own rooms, and roleplay out a bunch of nobles vying for the throne.

For some reason this reminded me that there's a one shot scenario for Burning Wheel that starts as you all find a magic sword. It has pregen characters who all have their own reasons for wanting it and is designed as a demo for the system. I would add that to the list as well

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Kestral posted:

Paranoia.

Unlearn what you have learned (about party unity).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mirage posted:

Paranoia.

Unlearn what you have learned (about party unity).
Yes. Include this. Bring props

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh! Run a 1e d&d tournament module like ToH or Tamoachan. This is advice for anyone really, it's loads of fun. It's basically rules free.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kestral posted:

With all that in mind, what else should I consider putting in here to showcase meaningfully different facets of the hobby, that you can get a decent idea of in 1-4 short sessions, with five players?
Danger Patrol taught me how to have fun with failure.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Is there a reason I'm suddenly getting videos of John Wick reviewing rpgs on my youtube feed?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
No, not that kind of failure.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

DalaranJ posted:

Is there a reason I'm suddenly getting videos of John Wick reviewing rpgs on my youtube feed?
Keanu Reeves, in-character, bewilderedly trying to answer questions intended for the other John Wick sounds like a solid Clickhole video

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Keanu as John Wick reviewing tabletop games with his co-hosts, Keanu as Jonathan Harker and Keanu as John Constantine, all equally bewildered. Off to the side Keanu as Johnny Mnemonic and Keanu as Johnny Silverhand argue over the best cyberpunk games.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Keanu as John Wick reviewing tabletop games with his co-hosts, Keanu as Jonathan Harker and Keanu as John Constantine, all equally bewildered. Off to the side Keanu as Johnny Mnemonic and Keanu as Johnny Silverhand argue over the best cyberpunk games.

it turns out Johnny Silverhand has played every TTRPG known to man and has hot takes on them.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Oh, by the way, I bet you can guess what his channel name is.

The real John Wick

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Keanu as Ted would make it amazing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ted seems like a chill game player, only plays indie and import games.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

there’s a lot of Keanu fans looking for movie clips and wondering why the algorithm keeps directing them towards some neckbeard ranting about D&D or whatever

but he’s just more white noise alongside the dudes who look and act exactly like him except he rants about rpgs instead of why there are too many women in Star Wars movies

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ratoslov posted:

it turns out Johnny Silverhand has played every TTRPG known to man and has hot takes on them.
No wonder Kerry was sick of his poo poo

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

My "horizons broadening" RPG sampler would be Kids on Bikes, Apocalypse World: Burned Over, Mouse Guard or Fellowship, Mothership or CoC (depending on which kind of horror they prefer), and a goofy one page RPG like Lasers and Feelings.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Capfalcon posted:

My "horizons broadening" RPG sampler would be Kids on Bikes, Apocalypse World: Burned Over, Mouse Guard or Fellowship, Mothership or CoC (depending on which kind of horror they prefer), and a goofy one page RPG like Lasers and Feelings.

add mongoose traveller and you have a perfect list imo

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Oh hell yes, I get to be the one to tell the thread...

They fired Mike Mearls!!!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jimbozig posted:

Oh hell yes, I get to be the one to tell the thread...

They fired Mike Mearls!!!

Where was that posted and is there any verification that it's real?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Sounds about right, WotC has always done layoffs right before the holidays.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

King of Solomon posted:

That's Facebook.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hasbro corporate just announced big layoffs a couple days ago so that tracks too.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

sebmojo posted:

add mongoose traveller and you have a perfect list imo

Open to it for sure, but never actually played it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kestral posted:

For context, I recently completed a seven-year-long 5e campaign which was the first roleplaying experience for a bunch of kids who are now all late teens and young adults. We've talked for years about wanting to try a bunch of different games after this campaign ends, and now that the time has come, I’m putting together a shortlist. We'll probably do a few months’ worth of stuff in this vein, one to four sessions per game at about four hours each, with the "con game" expectation that not every story we start will see a conclusion.

At the moment, my shortlist is something like:

Apocalypse World 2e. It's the foundational game of the modern era of RPG design. Nothing else comes close to being as influential.

Lancer. This is what a game built around good tactical combat looks like, and it carries on the genetic lineage of 4e – which is not a game I care for, tbh, but it’s worth seeing what something like that looks like.

The King is Dead or Mobile Frame Zero: Firebrands. GMless, hyper-focused, with a structure of play wildly divergent from the norm.

Tales from the Loop. An investigative game is a must for this project, but it needs an accessible hook. For adults I’d probably go with Night’s Black Agents or Delta Green, but Stranger Things is ridiculously popular with this crowd, so TftL fills this role well.

Other possibilities: Agon 2e, Torchbearer.

I’d include Blades in the Dark on this list as well, but we’re already settled on that being the next campaign-length thing we do; likewise Dread and Starforged, which they’ve had brief experience with, and The Quiet Year which we’re currently playing. Meg Baker’s 1001 Nights would also be an auto-include if we were playing in person, but since that’s not an option and it loses so much atmosphere when played on a VTT, I’ve reluctantly pulled that one from the list too. Other honorable mentions lost to the necessity of a VTT: Ten Candles, Polaris, and Sleepaway.

The intent isn't just to showcase a bunch of my favorite games, but rather to undo a mistake I made years ago of locking this group into 5e, and not giving them enough exposure to the rest of the art form before Critical Role took over their brains. It is physically painful to see the astonishing, "you could publish this and I'd buy it in a heartbeat" creativity coming out of some of these kids, and watching them struggle with having a mental model that begins and ends with a d20.

Glorantha, for a wild fantasy setting unlike any other.

Maybe ease into it with 13th Age Glorantha.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

King of Solomon posted:

I don't have any verification. I grabbed this screenshot from someone who posted it on Bluesky. I also saw Olivia Hill posting about it on Twitter, but she might have seen the same thing I did. And I don't use FB, so no clue what's there.

It's possible I got taken by a fake screenshot, but I hope not.

Assuming it's true, I'm glad to see him finally gone - it's not quite justice since it was just their annual layoffs and not him actually getting fired for what he did, but I'll take it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
in no particular order: Lancer OR Gubat Banwa (more interesting tactical crunchy gameplay), Tenra Bansho Zero OR Double Cross (games with a 'choose how you go out in a blaze of glory' mechanic that enforce that rng death doesn't have to be a thing), Brindlewood Bay or Tales from the Loop, depending if you want to play Jessica Fletcher or the Stranger Things crew, Fellowship (lotr/dnd/jrpg but pbta), Wanderhome OR Golden Sky Stories (diceless gentle storytelling), Fledge Witch OR Convictor Drive (extremely quick pick up and play games), Shinobigami OR Picaresque Roman (games actually built for player conflict and pvp), Ryuutama

that's a pretty close approximation of the spread of gaming I've been doing this year and/or contain things worth exploring as someone who's only played dnd.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Lots of good suggestions here for horizon-broadening games, thanks folks! Some new things to consider, some reinforcement of what I'd been tenatively considering.

Some specific questions and comments:

Vadun posted:

I'd definitely throw a funnel in there.

This is a great idea that I'd completely overlooked. Any funnels you'd recommend that we could either complete in 1-3 sessions, or that would give a satisfying experience in that length of time?

MonsieurChoc posted:

God, I'd love to. If I can get them to play Glorantha with me I'll do it, but that's got to have room to breathe, and this current run is going to be 3-4 sessions per game max. Putting that on the list as for post-Blades though, good call.

Leraika posted:

in no particular order: Lancer OR Gubat Banwa (more interesting tactical crunchy gameplay)

How's Lancer in a one-shot or short-series context, something like 2-4 sessions including character creation? That's another one that I definitely want to do with this group, but I'm concerned that it won't really get a chance to spread its wings in a short run.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gloranthia is amazing, but it's does seem to have a hefty rules lift from the versions I have seen.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Kestral posted:

This is a great idea that I'd completely overlooked. Any funnels you'd recommend that we could either complete in 1-3 sessions, or that would give a satisfying experience in that length of time?

Sailors on the Starless Sea is the one to beat for Dungeon Crawl Classics, but I'm also partial to the one in the back of Mutant Crawl Classics, the 'Assault on the Sky High Tower'

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Vadun posted:

Sailors on the Starless Sea is the one to beat for Dungeon Crawl Classics, but I'm also partial to the one in the back of Mutant Crawl Classics, the 'Assault on the Sky High Tower'

Conveniently, Starless Sea is the only DCC module I own and have actually read! That said, the DCC corebook is over 500 pages, which is a lot for a single adventure. I imagine most of it can be dispensed with for a peasant funnel, but what should I actually read and get GM-level familiar with if I'm going to do Starless Sea?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Funnels don't use any of those rules because no-one has any skills or spells yet

Technically you need a million weird dice but your can fake it with the regular selection easily enough.

Funnels are hilarious.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

sebmojo posted:

Funnels don't use any of those rules because no-one has any skills or spells yet

Technically you need a million weird dice but your can fake it with the regular selection easily enough.

Funnels are hilarious.

poo poo, sometimes you don't even roll dice in a funnel. "The orc hits you in the head with his axe. His minimum damage is 2D4 and you have 1 HP so you're instantly killed, who's your next dirt farmer character?"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Capfalcon posted:

Gloranthia is amazing, but it's does seem to have a hefty rules lift from the versions I have seen.

Steal the setting but leave the rules would be my take on Glorantha.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kestral posted:

How's Lancer in a one-shot or short-series context, something like 2-4 sessions including character creation? That's another one that I definitely want to do with this group, but I'm concerned that it won't really get a chance to spread its wings in a short run.

i think it would work okay as a one-shot, but i'd give them premades. character creation is pretty complex and like many high-crunch games the order in which it encourages you to do things doesn't really line up with the order in which you actually learn new subsystems

also i can't believe nobody's mentioned Nobilis in this conversation. probably a better representative of diceless TTRPGs than Amber frankly

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i think it would work okay as a one-shot, but i'd give them premades. character creation is pretty complex and like many high-crunch games the order in which it encourages you to do things doesn't really line up with the order in which you actually learn new subsystems

also i can't believe nobody's mentioned Nobilis in this conversation. probably a better representative of diceless TTRPGs than Amber frankly

I like Amber mostly because it doesn’t hinge on bible stuff. Being a spoiled noble kid seems an easier mental model than being the personification of something.

Ymmv is always the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think with Lancer, a good bit of the fun is making "your" mech, so I'd give "Premades" but let each one have a few "Pick one of these three options." So the artillery can get sniper rifle, giant cannon, or missile spam, for example.