Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Justin Tyme posted:

Also wasn't the exact portal effect sprite discovered too in some 1990's video game, was that ever addressed

it was also used here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sY0X_n2fcw&t=114s

some options:
- there was some tweet I can't find about how this is a naturally-occurring formation, and other explosions create the exact same ripples and dots in the exact same places, so it may not be the same stock video even if it looks *remarkably* similar
- somebody slapped this vfx onto the mh370 video to make it seem like a fake
- the ripple wasn't actually used anywhere in the past, the 90s video game screenshots and above youtube video were planted just as the textures.com page may have been faked
- the orbs are time travelers and planted the stock vfx in the past to prevent a panic in the present
- the abduction of mh370 created ripples in collective consciousness causing this specific portal to appear in various places throughout spacetime
- the mh370 video is fake as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
The second one:

http://www.draplin.com/pics/merch_site_fence_signs.jpg

http://draplin.com/

gileadexile posted:

I won't blame anybody tl;dr'ing this post. I'm just some goon on the internet and in all my 41 years on this earth and ten some odd on SA, the only thing I'm sure of is experiences and happenings only matter to the person they happen to.

Anyway, small bit of backstory. Since Covid hit the US in earnest, my life has been a shitshow. Furloughed at work, my mom passed away then a few months later, my nana.

This year, my wife and I have lost two pets, both cats. Wembley and Pancake. Our two little brothers.

The day I brought Pancakes ashes back from the vet, my wife surprised me with a new male kitten, named Indy (I call him Henry Jones Jr as a nickname).

A couple of weeks ago, we adopted his mother from the shelter and this is her second week here. We named her Gilly. She's timid but loves pets, and Indy and her play. It's taking some time for the other cats to warm to her, but I think it'll happen.

So just now, getting home from work, I did my routine, getting out of work clothes, putting wallet and belt up, etc. Our car Jack always comes into the bedroom with me, it's our little ritual.

I picked her up and bundled her a bit, then set her down and went to wash my hands. She went down the hall and into the living room and Indy followed me into the bathroom.

After drying my hands, I picked up Indy and cuddled him for a bit and felt a cat brush against my leg. I looked down and no cat was there.

Flat out no cats near me. Gilly has a collar with a bell on it, so her I would hear. All the other cats are in the living room waiting on food. There are NO cats back here with me except the one I'm holding in my arms but I felt a cat brush my leg.

It's a very specific feeling and I'm not drunk, high or sleep deprived. But I felt a cat brush my leg.

Sarah has felt a cat jump on the bed. We close the bedroom door when we lay down. We love our cats, but sleeping with them is impossible. But several times a week we would leave the door open half and hour or so while we were getting ready and the boys would come in and lay on the bed and either cuddle up with us or just enjoy being around us while we talked and did little tasks before bed.

I don't know...my wife hasn't turned off the lamp beside her recliner since we lost Pancake, the oldest boy and second brother cat a few months ago. She told me it's in case that they retain..something after. And she wants them to be able to find their way home.

I know exactly how she feels and it sort of makes me feel better than somebody can feel comforted by similar thoughts.

Like I said. I'm just a goon on the internet who's lost a lot lately, but I felt a cat brush against my leg.

Excuse me, need to cry now.

Failson has issued a correction as of 00:51 on Dec 12, 2023

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Grusch was on Newsnation tonight and said he was directly read into a UAP SAP and he has an op ed coming out soon

Uhh thats a big new one

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

gileadexile posted:

I won't blame anybody tl;dr'ing this post. I'm just some goon on the internet and in all my 41 years on this earth and ten some odd on SA, the only thing I'm sure of is experiences and happenings only matter to the person they happen to.

Anyway, small bit of backstory. Since Covid hit the US in earnest, my life has been a shitshow. Furloughed at work, my mom passed away then a few months later, my nana.

This year, my wife and I have lost two pets, both cats. Wembley and Pancake. Our two little brothers.

The day I brought Pancakes ashes back from the vet, my wife surprised me with a new male kitten, named Indy (I call him Henry Jones Jr as a nickname).

A couple of weeks ago, we adopted his mother from the shelter and this is her second week here. We named her Gilly. She's timid but loves pets, and Indy and her play. It's taking some time for the other cats to warm to her, but I think it'll happen.

So just now, getting home from work, I did my routine, getting out of work clothes, putting wallet and belt up, etc. Our car Jack always comes into the bedroom with me, it's our little ritual.

I picked her up and bundled her a bit, then set her down and went to wash my hands. She went down the hall and into the living room and Indy followed me into the bathroom.

After drying my hands, I picked up Indy and cuddled him for a bit and felt a cat brush against my leg. I looked down and no cat was there.

Flat out no cats near me. Gilly has a collar with a bell on it, so her I would hear. All the other cats are in the living room waiting on food. There are NO cats back here with me except the one I'm holding in my arms but I felt a cat brush my leg.

It's a very specific feeling and I'm not drunk, high or sleep deprived. But I felt a cat brush my leg.

Sarah has felt a cat jump on the bed. We close the bedroom door when we lay down. We love our cats, but sleeping with them is impossible. But several times a week we would leave the door open half and hour or so while we were getting ready and the boys would come in and lay on the bed and either cuddle up with us or just enjoy being around us while we talked and did little tasks before bed.

I don't know...my wife hasn't turned off the lamp beside her recliner since we lost Pancake, the oldest boy and second brother cat a few months ago. She told me it's in case that they retain..something after. And she wants them to be able to find their way home.

I know exactly how she feels and it sort of makes me feel better than somebody can feel comforted by similar thoughts.

Like I said. I'm just a goon on the internet who's lost a lot lately, but I felt a cat brush against my leg.

You did and it was, op :hai:

Also belated condolences RB

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Grusch was on Newsnation tonight and said he was directly read into a UAP SAP and he has an op ed coming out soon

Lol

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

~~~~~ everybody move your feet and feel united oooh ooh ooh ~~~~~

gileadexile posted:

Not to be 'that guy' but if you have multiple alive cats it would seem more likely that one of them brushed against your leg and ran away before you looked down rather than a cat ghost.

I like cats and have one of my own and I'm sure he was a great companion but ghosts don't exist, only aliens do.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Pennant posted:

Not to be 'that guy' but if you have multiple alive cats it would seem more likely that one of them brushed against your leg and ran away before you looked down rather than a cat ghost.

I like cats and have one of my own and I'm sure he was a great companion but ghosts don't exist, only aliens do.

scram

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Pennant posted:

Like I said. Unexplainable things only matter to the person they happen to. I looked down immediately to see who brushed me. There was no cat there. Cats don't move at lightspeed, only aliens do.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

As much as I want to go all-in too there's the spectre of massive financial reward being enough of a motivator to tamper with the site (& unfortunately is way easier to believe) but let's see what they say!

Also wasn't the exact portal effect sprite discovered too in some 1990's video game, was that ever addressed

Well except kimdotcom offered the guy who provided the textures.com "proof" the money and he turned it down

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pennant posted:

Mr. deGrasse Tyson, for the last time, please settle down.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Pennant posted:

I mean maybe but there's an awfully thin line between aliens and ghosts and springheel jack

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
In a mirror you can only kiss yourself on the lips
In a mirror it's only your lips that you can kiss on yourself
You can't kiss anything but your lips in a mirror
A mirror only lets you kiss yourself on the lips
There's nowhere to kiss yourself in a mirror except on the lips
There's no lips you can kiss in a mirror that aren't your own lips
You kiss lips only in a mirror
Only lips kiss mirror can kiss mirror when you're kissing yourself if it's in a mirror

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

it's comforting to know that this thread also has nite crew and day crew

nite crew checking in

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pennant posted:

on the contrary: ur wrong

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
pondering my orb

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

gileadexile posted:

when my wife was in college she went to her friend's apartment. they were sitting around deciding what to do when my wife laughed a bit. her friend asked what's funny and my wife said "just your cat walking by tickling the back of my leg." turns out her friend's cat had passed away some time the month earlier. my wife is an NDT brain so I can accept ghost kitties

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
is op ed short for disclOsure haPpEns December because if so im in

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

-pulls up in a flying saucer, revs that flat/round hog nice and loud- get in, it's time

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
I wonder if Kimdotcom already paid that 'debunker'. Textures.com about to blow this wide open. :pray:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

textures dot com and news nation are the Woodward and Bernstein of 2023

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

I wonder if Kimdotcom already paid that 'debunker'. Textures.com about to blow this wide open. :pray:

No the guy turned it down

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Barry Foster posted:

I've come to entertain the notion that reality is fundamentally informational (or composed of consciousness, or whatever you want to call it) and - per Hofmann - spacetime+objects are only perceptual tools we use to navigate that informational space.

If this is the case then there may be all kinds of ways information can be transmitted without our knowledge, or in ways we can't control or understand. This may be happening all the time, all around us - and here, again, I can't get away from language that uses spatial and temporal metaphors. It is hard to even talk about this, let alone experience it

I agree when Nima Arkani-Hamed says that the new physics of the 21st century probably has to do away with locality. This is likely part of a larger movement toward a picture of emergent spacetime- spacetime not as fundamental but as an appearance in a certain limit / within a certain organizational structure. Too tired to write more at the moment

121123_4
Dec 12, 2023

Rickshaw posted:

I agree when Nima Arkani-Hamed says that the new physics of the 21st century probably has to do away with locality. This is likely part of a larger movement toward a picture of emergent spacetime- spacetime not as fundamental but as an appearance in a certain limit / within a certain organizational structure. Too tired to write more at the moment

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Rickshaw posted:

this is my take. it might take ai/nonlinear math to make that next leap, but if it happens, suddenly its Star Trek utopia

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

D-Pad posted:

No the guy turned it down

Now this strikes me as odd. Why not take the money?
Unless of course there's a chance you'll be sued for fraud lol

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

The Demilich posted:

Now this strikes me as odd. Why not take the money?
Unless of course there's a chance you'll be sued for fraud lol

Or someone else already paid you?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

poisonpill posted:

this is my take. it might take ai/nonlinear math to make that next leap, but if it happens, suddenly its Star Trek utopia

I think your reasoning might have a ruling class shaped hole

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

I think that hole is a large part of the reason we HAVEN’T done it yet

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Thanks I love it!

I just finished Encounters by Pasulka and it was ok but there is absolutely nothing new in there and she is depressingly vulnerable to Tech Bro Bullshit

Now I'm back onto Revelations by Jacques Valleé and he is absolutely going ham on Budd Hopkins, Linda Howe, John Lear etc. All but out and out calling them credulous morons. It's pretty funny

This is exactly what I was trying to get across a few pages ago - imo Pasulka reads like she has a weird girl crush on Moongirl and because of the fawning can't see past all the AI word salad jargon enough to identify it as bullshit.

Not that I'd expect a religious studies professor to be equipped for that, but Christ Almighty is the Simone chapter difficult.

Also FWIW, in Forbidden Science 5 Jacques basically implies Linda Howe was peddling intentional disinformation because she was always hungry for a "scoop" and the powers that be knew and made use of that.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

what do you poo poo planes

sorry what

E: Lmao

https://twitter.com/BrandonFugal/status/1734083264728744222?t=v7iY5yrNCViDC3qiYQkR9Q&s=19

Objurium has issued a correction as of 03:32 on Dec 12, 2023

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Objurium posted:

This is exactly what I was trying to get across a few pages ago - imo Pasulka reads like she has a weird girl crush on Moongirl and because of the fawning can't see past all the AI word salad jargon enough to identify it as bullshit.

Not that I'd expect a religious studies professor to be equipped for that, but Christ Almighty is the Simone chapter difficult.

Also FWIW, in Forbidden Science 5 Jacques basically implies Linda Howe was peddling intentional disinformation because she was always hungry for a "scoop" and the powers that be knew and made use of that.

sorry what

I think I will skip Encounters, American Cosmic was hard enough to get through and had very little substance vs junk.

Watching an Linda Howe's interview makes me think she is just a narcissist, she's just kinda boring tbh.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Ghost cats: I read a story of a couple who purchased a house with a cat ghost. When they were in bed at night they would feel the cat settling down at the foot of their bed. iirc they were the kind of people who welcomed that kind of thing, which may play a part in its manifestation.

I haven't had any ghost animal experiences that I know of, except for during part of the visions surrounding my NDE my childhood dog appeared and rescued me. I have experienced the "seeing the pet out of the corner of your eye" thing that can happen after you lose a pet, but I feel like that is a memory/grief thing

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

gileadexile posted:

I'm so sorry for your losses. My mom and I lost our two old boys (17-18 years old) within a few months of each other late last year/early this year. Iggy and Finny. Those two dudes had been with me through everything - multiple moves, deaths in the immediate family, covid. Iggy was one of those cats who never wanted to leave your side, he was bonded to me like nothing else.

They never slept in my room but Iggy would sometimes want attention in the middle of the night at times and would tip his head up towards ceiling corners and just yowl and howl so that his voice would echo through the whole house. Over the years I got used to the noise being his way of letting me know he was awake and hanging out in the living area if I wanted to come chill (but no worries if not - I'll stop howling eventually).

Anyway, a few weeks after we lost Iggy, I started hearing that sound in the middle of the night or even in the morning. If I was lying on my bed and facing the door, multiple times a week I'd swear I could hear Iggy howling for attention. We already had two other cats at the time, but neither of them have a voice like his and they don't howl like that, either.

Well. When I adopted the newest addition to the family, Bean, I stopped hearing Iggy's voice in the night. She's displayed so many behaviors and personality quirks that were quintessentially Iggy and Finny combined and even just the look in her eyes in the first few weeks she was with us, it felt like something was reaching back to me.

Wembley and Pancake love you so very much, they sent Indy and Gilly to keep you in line and now they know everything will be just fine. ♥

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

^edit: top quality cats, excellent :hmmyes:

Pennant posted:

yes they do

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I love this cat posting

I love cats. I have become one of you all. Knowing that the little cat from next door loves me and trusts me completely is such a huge boon to my mental health. She's teaching me a lot about myself

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mdemone posted:

time travel is not possible Euhpromous we have been over this

it's not forbidden. it just can't occur in a non-R rotating solution to the Einstein field equations, which we clearly are not in.

edit: aliens are vastly more likely than time travel in the way that all non-zero numbers are vastly larger than zero

dancing R solution to the Einstein field equations

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Ghost cats are absolutely real lmao can you imagine God and his angelic choir being like come into the light to a cat and it listens???? Absolutely not they stay around to investigate boxes and such

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m very hesitant to say something doesn’t exist, but AI doesn’t exist and never will

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

euphronius posted:

I’m very hesitant to say something doesn’t exist, but AI doesn’t exist and never will

I like the ear piece assistant the lady has in Westworld

e why wouldn't a computer that could upgrade itself or make innovations ever exist though, would that fit the definition of AI

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

you best start believing in AI...you are one :eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

euphronius posted:

it exists