Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Elissimpark posted:

I think it's something you grow up with. That said, having watched the tail end of the original series, I haven't really been interested in much of the new lot. The Doctor as a near god-like figure is not nearly as interesting as a weird science dude stumbling through adventures with randos.

I've got a theory that the best Dr Who is the one when you were 12. In my case, that's Sylvester McCoy. Easily had the best villain in the Kandyman:

A psycho robot made of sugar who murders people with fondant. Perfection.

I was never into it as a kid - I grew up in the era where it was pretty dormant, so it was just this goofy old show.

I gave it a go upon its return, but it gave me that vibe of when the BBC spend money on like, a Christmas episode or something, how things end up paradoxically looking very cheap and flat, and not in a good way. There was also a lot of cloying mid-aughts winsomeness in there with all that "aren't you humans brilliant! A girl from Peckham just overthrew an alien empiah!" The phrase "wobbly timey-wimey stuff" or whatever makes me physically recoil.

I do find the old episodes appealing on paper though - they seem to have some Nigel Neale, Charles Fort, cosmic horror and new-wave sci-fi bleakness in there.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I understand the appeal of most fandoms but I have bounced off of Dr. Who like three times without observing any redeeming qualities. What do people see in this show?

Edit: that one episode with the spoopy angel statues had a cool vibe but still just felt like Dollar Tree X-Files imo

Yeah there were some eps that worked especially the angel one you mentioned but so many were nothing. A few had interesting ideas but then the Daleks would show up and it was the same dull resolution again. Bailed when it became entirely about Amy & Rory, the couple who can’t act but let’s pretend they have a love for the ages.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I grew up on The Twilight Zone so all other sci-fi TV has been spoiled for me, forever.
poo poo gently caress, I love The Twilight Zone.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Twilight Zone is some of the most perfectly written TV ever. Rod Serling was a genius.

Dr Who sucks but I never saw it til my late 20s.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Das Boo posted:

I grew up on The Twilight Zone so all other sci-fi TV has been spoiled for me, forever.
poo poo gently caress, I love The Twilight Zone.

:yeah:

I've got a theory that Twilight Zone is the most culturally-referenced tv show in the US at least.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

My problem with Dr Who, besides just not really caring for it, is that the new episodes are being heralded as amazing mainly because they replaced the showrunner with the previous showrunner. Okay, sure. Problem is that it wasn't like the previous/now current showrunner didn't have a lot of bad or boring episodes.

Dr Who is this show where people only remember episodes they liked, or episodes they didn't if they want to pick on a writer or the showrunner. 90% of the show is barely memorable and isn't even bad, just boring, and no one ever brings up those episodes.

"Remember the best Doctor with Tennant? Every episode was so good" no you keep talking about like six episodes in as many seasons that are genuinely good and memorable. The rest are just there.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I grew up watching Tom Baker.

He is the best Doctor.

This discussion is terminated.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

"Remember the best Doctor with Tennant? Every episode was so good" no you keep talking about like six episodes in as many seasons that are genuinely good and memorable. The rest are just there.

Doctor Who fans, particularly Tennant fans, are paint-chip eating dumbasses and always have been. We get it-- Tennant is super boneable and a good actor. The rest is, like you said, six episodes.

The rest is just general Millennial sepsis where anything new has to come with some childhood poo poo with tired-looking older actors doing their schtick "one last time." I swear we're worse than the Boomers for this, and the Boomers were rotten.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I went from the first season of the modern Dr Who with Eccleston to the second last Capaldi season before I could t take any more. I wanted to join my friends loving the show.

My confession is that I couldn't tell you where the showrunners or writers changed, and could not pinpoint where the quality apparently dropped because it seemed consistent the entire time, I just ran out of patience and good will.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I started watching with Eccleston, really enjoyed Tennant, rapidly got tired of Matt Smith, and I think I watched a few episodes of Capaldi before falling off the series. Nothing against Capaldi, but the writing for Matt Smith's Doctor was just really annoying (felt like Moffat just really needed to reiterate over and over how wacky and badass the Doctor is, and failed at making either one fun) and the writing for Capaldi would've had to have been amazing for me to get back on board

The campy, low budget "oh no, Earth is being taken over by fishmen wearing water tanks on their heads! What will we do?" kind of thing is exactly what appealed to me about Doctor Who. It just being kind of a dumb, silly good time. With that and some real moments of pathos (like Eccleston absolutely nailed), it made for solid TV. Matt Smith just wasn't that. I think the moment when they had like literally every major group of villains invade Earth at the same time, and Matt Smith managed to get them all to turn around by giving a speech about how he's the Doctor and he's so cool and badass that he's going to kick all their asses if they try, was just sooooo cringey. Increasingly higher stakes with dumber payoff every time

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Asking Davros if he’d care for a jelly baby is peak Doctor Who.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

tango alpha delta posted:

I grew up watching Tom Baker.

He is the best Doctor.

This discussion is terminated.

If you were 12 when Tom Baker was the Doctor, then I am vindicated.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Elissimpark posted:

If you were 12 when Tom Baker was the Doctor, then I am vindicated.

Doctor Who was pretty cool when I was twelve, just like the original A-Team, Battlestar Galactica, Airwolf, Blue Thunder and Knight Rider.

I'm unable to stomach any of them for any reasonable length of time because, now, they are mostly unwatchable cheese and are best left as childhood memories.

They've been replaced by guilty pleasures, like Smallville, or amazing television like the tale of the downfall of one of the founders of Gray Matter Technologies.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 12, 2023

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Waiting Room is the only good Fugazi song

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I really dislike Only Murders In The Building. Do people like that show? My parents like it. I don't like it and I don't feel like articulating why but I do feel like saying it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Ralph Hurley posted:

t:mad:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ralph Hurley posted:

Oooh, this one is spicy. I disagree, but its a great pop song and they should have more of those.

The Argument is better than Repeater.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Fugazi is the anime of punk rock

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lt. Cock posted:

Fugazi is the anime of punk rock

:drat:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I really dislike Only Murders In The Building. Do people like that show? My parents like it. I don't like it and I don't feel like articulating why but I do feel like saying it.

I don't really know much about the show, but I really appreciate it because it totally steamrollered that horrible "Oh Hello" thing John Mulaney was trying to push on us. I really hated that poo poo.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
aside from the "when you were 12" thing, kinda, it seems no one mentioned in all that that dr who is a children's show, for kids. not sure why anyone would expect decades of quality entertainment from this

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

I went from the first season of the modern Dr Who with Eccleston to the second last Capaldi season before I could t take any more. I wanted to join my friends loving the show.
Weirdly enough Capaldi's last season was one of the better ones I watched, with some dynamite children's horror in the finale.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

aside from the "when you were 12" thing, kinda, it seems no one mentioned in all that that dr who is a children's show, for kids. not sure why anyone would expect decades of quality entertainment from this
Amazing that this line is still getting trotted out like an ancient show pony in 2023. Let the poor thing die.

Anyway-- Sturgeon's Law necessitates that if 90% of something is garbage, that remaining 10% must be some form of not-garbage.

Chrpno posted:

I don't really know much about the show, but I really appreciate it because it totally steamrollered that horrible "Oh Hello" thing John Mulaney was trying to push on us. I really hated that poo poo.
Even before Mulaney fell out of major favor with that rehab stuff, something about his whole "Midwestern Good Boy with a pseudo-gay affect" schtick had this overly manicured vibe that didn't sit quite right.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

That's bunk, because things can and do grow with their audience, and there was a vein of bleak, folk-horror/new-wave sci-fi adjacent children's programming in the UK, that just wasn't there anymore when Who rebooted to be full of WONDER! and MAGIC!

Far removed from stern schoolmaster immortal cosmic beings and experimental soundtracks (and probably a slight obsession with Quatermass).

https://thequietus.com/articles/12498-who-is-next-dr-who

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
look i am not into it, i've not participated in decades of dr who discourse to know i'm making an old point, but it remains true.

the BBC absolutely produces the show as a kids show. i'm not talking baby stuff but it is a solid 8 or 10+ kind of PG threat thing.

if they can, i'm sure they try to satisfy crusty diehards too, as there's a lot of them, but there's a point at which you can't expect further narrative maturity in a children's adventure simply because it started a long time ago.

the BBC want it to be an ongoing institution for every generation of kids, not just the previous ones who want it to grow up with them. i think that's a good thing!

this is something star wars fans who talk to kids who grew up with the prequels, or even the disney era movies, also have a problem with. they're always shocked that younger people also like best the stuff that enchanted them first as kids. I loved the original SW movies but at some point you can let go and say this isn't being made for me. if there's still some enjoyment to be had from new stuff then great, but it's incidental

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You keep saying this like we don't already know. That's the problem. Did it ever once occur to you that we know, and found a peace with it that isn't willful denial?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I've seen a lot of stuff made for kids that didn't suck so I don't know if that's really a defence for why Dr Who sucks.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

look i am not into it, i've not participated in decades of dr who discourse to know i'm making an old point, but it remains true.

the BBC absolutely produces the show as a kids show. i'm not talking baby stuff but it is a solid 8 or 10+ kind of PG threat thing.

if they can, i'm sure they try to satisfy crusty diehards too, as there's a lot of them, but there's a point at which you can't expect further narrative maturity in a children's adventure simply because it started a long time ago.

the BBC want it to be an ongoing institution for every generation of kids, not just the previous ones who want it to grow up with them. i think that's a good thing!

this is something star wars fans who talk to kids who grew up with the prequels, or even the disney era movies, also have a problem with. they're always shocked that younger people also like best the stuff that enchanted them first as kids. I loved the original SW movies but at some point you can let go and say this isn't being made for me. if there's still some enjoyment to be had from new stuff then great, but it's incidental

I didn't phrase that well - I meant more that I disagree that something has to remain a kids property, just because it began as one. A friend and I had that conversation about 2000AD comics recently, but I agree that it is a children's/tweens show in the most clumsy sense.

Gravity Falls, for example, is more ostensibly a kids show (a Disney Channel cartoon, even!) but has a lot for me to get my teeth into as an adult viewer (or at least one who really enjoys cryptids and Pacific Northwest Gothic)

I'm not going to defend Who's honour - I don't particularly care for it; but it's twee sentimentality, lack of style and insistence on a succession of wacky uncle (and auntie) leads isn't in keeping with what it once was and still could be. It leans into the tastes and assumptions of the most Funko Pop people imaginable, regardless of their age. Kids can and do like cool stuff.

To put it another way - the modern image of Dr Who isn't an interstellar sociopath loving around with time; it's an adorkable substitute drama teacher crying in the rain. That actor went on to do Marvel and Neil Gaiman properties, so he knows that chunky steampunk poly couples are paying off his mortgage, for sure. Even slight course corrections like Capaldi (casting that piqued my interest) made him "abrasive" in the least imaginative way possible - like someone's dad refusing to listen to ABBA at a wedding because he likes The Clash.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 12, 2023

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Dr Who is a property that's all over the place. Sometimes it's a kids show, sometimes a family show (look, it's a celebrity!), sometimes it tilts into weird horror, sometimes it's science fiction, a lot of the times it's goofy humour ... It's whatever the current showrunner or scriptwriter wants it to be.

Which you could look upon as a strength. Or you could get irritated that you tuned in for a strange horror piece, but this week they're doing crazy hijinks with some topical humour while the Doctor mopes about being lovesick.

I watched the older series as a child and suspect the inconsistency is much greater with the new stuff. From memory, old Who had moments of wackiness but mostly played it straight.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Ralph Hurley posted:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Nigmaetcetera posted:

The first season was kinda ok but second was boring, and reminded us why we’d stuffed Steve Martin & Martin Short into the attic.

Chrpno posted:

Oh yeah it was weird how much Mulaney liked doing that bit but it didn’t feel up to his usual standards & it’s not ok to inflict that much Nick Kroll on society. Remember that guy who would ruin comedy bang bang by yelling in a Mexican accent for an hour? Would you like to see him on Broadway?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The first season was kinda ok but second was boring, and reminded us why we’d stuffed Steve Martin & Martin Short into the attic.

Yeah, the first season worked as a pleasant surprise because nobody expected a Steven Martin/Martin short vehicle to have any legs at all in this decade but that only carries it so far. I still wound up watching the whole thing because it's one of the more watchable shows that some of my family is into, but there's definitely a drop off after the first season.

I also feel they also leaned way harder into the generation clash jokes in season 2 and it got really grating, it was never really a highlight but in the first season it felt fairly unobtrusive. Actually, that probably applies to a lot of the gags.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah it was weird how much Mulaney liked doing that bit but it didn’t feel up to his usual standards & it’s not ok to inflict that much Nick Kroll on society. Remember that guy who would ruin comedy bang bang by yelling in a Mexican accent for an hour? Would you like to see him on Broadway?

The guy who would come on CBB and casually drop the n-word?

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
only murders is gr8

where else will you get to hear Steve Martin say the name Del Tha Funkee Homosapien

The first season was the best, obviously. They can't have their main character be the heart of the mystery more than once.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Only murders chat made me think of this: Does anyone else just forget to finish streaming shows?

I've watched a bunch of partial seasons of shows that I at least enjoy a little (like only murders), but then just don't bother finishing off the season/series.

I think some of it can be explained by a lot of shows having (IMO) strong first seasons and then losing their way afterwards, but that's not every show.

But also, so many shows come out that get talked about EVERYWHERE for like a week or two and then you never hear about them again. Maybe just not having them front of mind makes me move on to something else.

Is this a thing, or am I just forgetful?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

stealie72 posted:

I mean, there's so much content now that it's trivially easy to move on whenever a show drags or gets to a part you don't like.

I'll even do this with shows (or a docuseries or whatever) that are legitimately good. The wife and I watched an episode or two of the MAX documentary on the Duggars and the cult they belong to, were like "welp that's enough total loving darkness for tonight," and we've never resumed watching.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

stealie72 posted:

Only murders chat made me think of this: Does anyone else just forget to finish streaming shows?

I've watched a bunch of partial seasons of shows that I at least enjoy a little (like only murders), but then just don't bother finishing off the season/series.

I think some of it can be explained by a lot of shows having (IMO) strong first seasons and then losing their way afterwards, but that's not every show.

But also, so many shows come out that get talked about EVERYWHERE for like a week or two and then you never hear about them again. Maybe just not having them front of mind makes me move on to something else.

That happened to me with The Boys AND The Good Place. I'm glad I'm not alone here.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

YeahTubaMike posted:

That happened to me with The Boys AND The Good Place. I'm glad I'm not alone here.
I just remembered that I forgot to finish The Good Place :shepface:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The 2000s Who reboot came at a time when the anglophile media boom was still in full swing and the YA/Childrens genre adventure stuff was hot and post-Prequel geek culture was starting to show a changing fandom make-up. The marketplace was lacking a quirky Buffy/Farscape type series while Trek and Star Wars were seemingly entering eras of no new media for the foreseeable future.

Add into that the US side of things were seeing bigger pushes for grim and serious BSG reboots and mystery box sci fi series.

Not sure how much of this affects the popularity of the reboot era of the franchise, though. If any of those things had been different, I don't know if people would have rebelled against the 'darker, more mature Who' (as some thought of it at the time) had Harry Potter not been around or if more similar counterprogramming (outside of anime) had been around.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Don't bother with the end of the Good Place, the last season is top to bottom feces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spoiler it’s really the bad place.