Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

It definitely did effect his career though, it's not like he died before he had a chance to direct something else. He had another directing gig all ready to go but the studio replaced him when they saw the bad box office returns for Night of the Hunter. So in the short term Night of the Hunter did prevent him from directing again, and then he died before another chance came around, which I'm sure it would have for such a respected actor as Laughton was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

on the plus side, he never blew it

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1734365669175840913?s=46

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I cant remember if I’ve seen Eyes of Laura Mars but I’m gonna watch it tonight if its accessible

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I watched a gun for Jennifer today. A movie made in 1997 that looks and feels like an 70s/80s exploitation flick. It's about a gang of weapon killing/castrating abusive men.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hell yeah Saw XI. If Tobin Bell is still down for these movies, keep cranking them out.

It still stuns me that X was as good as it was. Like if someone said it was the best of the series, I wouldn't be taken aback at all by that take.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

dorium posted:

its a crazy club to belong to with many other stalwarts

Herk Harvey
I will not stand for this industrial, societal, health, and safety films erasure.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

dorium posted:

its a crazy club to belong to with many other stalwarts

Charles Laughton
Gerald Kargl
Tom Green
Herk Harvey

Sometimes you're just misunderstood totally in your first outing. The world doesnt deserve the talent.

Speaking of Charles Laughton, have any of you ever seen the original Island of Dr. Moreau? How does it rate?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Perhaps a controversial take, but they should just reboot Saw, keep Tobin Bell, and not kill off Jigsaw this time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://shop.txchainsawgame.com/products/family-recipe-dry-rub-pack

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Night Feeder whips rear end yall

quote:

The very first shot is a long, lingering look at a dead hooker, eye gouged out and in a pool of blood. With her titty out. So, like, that's what they decided to open with. It's lurid, it's patently offensive and it's artless trash, OK? But this movie kinda whips rear end though?

I think it's because I've been to film school. There's so, so much wrong with this. And it almost all comes together into a perfect melange of awful mixed with genuine silliness. Nothing in the script makes a goddamned lick of sense ("oh thank you neighbor for letting me in, there was a man chasing me. Oh well, now that I called the cops guess I'll wait outside on the stoop!"), every character's motivation is absolutely inscrutable, scenes just kinda happen (what was that funeral? who were those people? why did the husband show up to his own wife's funeral in cargo shorts?)

Have a Torgo-like hobo who is the reddest herring of all time? As he stumbles around, hunchbacked, have some mean characters call him "Frankenstein." Not, y'know... Igor? The famous fictional character who is hunched over from the same goddamned book.

But that's just the structural stuff. The real joy is in how amateurish the rest of the proceedings are. Hope you like jump cuts! No respect for the 180° rule, the camera zooms in and out at will, every musical sting is a wacky sound-effect from a Casio keyboard, and the 4:3 aspect ratio and SOV depth of field just make everything look insanely fake.

There's even insane sound issues like when some construction workers are catcalling some women who are having a conversation, but it's mixed with both conversations at max volume, even as they cut between the shots.

Oh, did the actress cough just before delivering her line? gently caress you, we aren't doing a second take. In fact every line delivery is so stilted that it becomes super obvious not only are these not trained actors, these are barely local community theater rejects. Did you want some room tone so the audio isn't wildly switching from trains rumbling by in the background to total silence as we go shot-reverse shot in a conversation? gently caress you! White balancing? Buddy you're lucky things are even in frame!

But I kind of love it all. It's so cheesy and terrible and I haven't even talked about the nonsensical dick-mouthed baby at the end!

It's Free!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt7t1ysCA74&t=8s

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

wow so many roman numerals... roman... it takes place in ancient rome :O

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Zwabu posted:

Speaking of Charles Laughton, have any of you ever seen the original Island of Dr. Moreau? How does it rate?

If you mean the 1932 Island of Lost Souls, it’s one of the best horror films of the ‘30s. Right up there with the best of the Universal films IMO.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Darthemed posted:

I will not stand for this industrial, societal, health, and safety films erasure.

If I can’t see all of them on blu ray at the least it’s hard for me to count them

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Watched the Outwaters and I think I found my new favorite asmr movie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Watched the Outwaters and I think I found my new favorite asmr movie.

watch leviathan (2012)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
You would assume that, by now, the Saw franchise has reached that level where there would be Saw In Space.

(See: Jason X)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jigsaw finds out the kid from saw x has died due to hazardous worker conditions at an ev car factory in Mexico so booby traps the company owner’s first rocket flight to space.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gonz posted:

You would assume that, by now, the Saw franchise has reached that level where there would be Saw In Space.

(See: Jason X)

If you think about it, every Saw is Saw In Space

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ok pitch. The next saw takes place in 2025 or whatever. Evil doctor lady becomes Elon Musk basically and makes a rocket to go to mars. She decides to stick it to John Kramer by keeping his ashes and using it for her cig ashes or kitty litter or whatever and brings it on her rocket

A mysterious energy hits the rocket before it goes to the space station turning the organic matter back into John Kramer who then decides to do another game on the space station

I don’t have a good pun title lol

Misssaw to mars. Saw-pace station lol

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Let's go the other way. John Kramer builds a time machine and accidentally travels to 1950s Poland.

WarSaw

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TOOT BOOT posted:

Perhaps a controversial take, but they should just reboot Saw, keep Tobin Bell, and not kill off Jigsaw this time.

I'm pretty sure people involved in the series have said as much, that killing off Jigsaw so early was a massive mistake, and that's why X was so far back in the timeline, so they could just say "gently caress it, he's back".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I was enjoying how many ways they could find to justify having Tobin Bell come back for seven films after the character's death.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I don't know which Saw it is, but the flashback to John Kramer meeting an author who claims to have escaped him is great. To make Tobin Bell appear younger they just have him dress like this:

Also they should have the Cenobites resurrect him, God knows nobody's doing anything with Hellraiser right now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Fancy Hat posted:

I don't know which Saw it is, but the flashback to John Kramer meeting an author who claims to have escaped him is great. To make Tobin Bell appear younger they just have him dress like this:

Would you like to play a game, fellow kids?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A Fancy Hat posted:

Also they should have the Cenobites resurrect him, God knows nobody's doing anything with Hellraiser right now.

That's exactly what I was thinking. They give him power and let him go to town and he winds up putting Pinhead in a game

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I was enjoying how many ways they could find to justify having Tobin Bell come back for seven films after the character's death.

I forgot when it was, but they did admit they made a mistake in killing off the character when they did.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Cenobites in an escape room seemed kinda fun until I realized they'd just enjoy all the traps and it would be boring.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

A Fancy Hat posted:

The Jigsaw puppet wearing this hat while sitting backwards in a chair: "Hello Jeremy, I'd like to just chill and wrap with you for a bit. Lately you may have noticed some changes happening with your body, namely that I have nailed it to a big machine that will rip you in half in twenty minutes if you don't solve my puzzle."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

M_Sinistrari posted:

I forgot when it was, but they did admit they made a mistake in killing off the character when they did.

They admitted it by Saw V.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Jigsaw should just show up and be played by Tobin Bell for the whole movie, make part of the film the mystery of how he's alive. Then at the end of the movie the cops catch up to him and he's like "I've got some new friends, officer," and the Cenobites help him escape in a pit of fire or something. That's a movie I'd go watch.

The next movie would be him inevitably getting betrayed by the Cenobites and having to outsmart them, possibly by tricking someone else into taking the fall for him and getting dragged to Hell.

Then you've got a resurrected John Kramer. This is still better than 90% of the Hellraiser movies and at least half of the Saw movies.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They already did "How are you still alive?!" with Jigsaw which hosed up the timeline and introduced yet another accomplice that was somehow missing from seven other films.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Just say he is Joe Kramer, John Kramer’s identical twin brother. This isnt very hard ppl.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 12, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
At least they didn't bring back his wife for Saw X. Every movie screeched to a halt when she would appear on screen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I want Hoffman back

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I want Hoffman back

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Pope Corky the IX posted:

At least they didn't bring back his wife for Saw X. Every movie screeched to a halt when she would appear on screen.

wow someone who hates that character as much as saw 3d does

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Saw XII: Jigsaw goes to Hell

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

John Kramer should be the modern Dr. Phibes, you're never totally sure how he's alive and he starts hanging around a really fashionable lady who might be a demon. He can look at a picture of his wife every so often while having a bunch of Billy the Puppets perform a big band song behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't wanna be a pest but just wanted to remind everyone that we're doing nominations for the 2024 Bracketology season. We'll keep doing them until Monday the 18th at noon EST and then we're gonna vote. So take part if you wish or lurk and vote quietly if that's your thing or ignore me. That's cool too.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4048730