Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2023/12/german-mcm-replacement-has-failed-resulting-in-life-extension/

German MCM-Replacement Fails, Current Fleet To Receive Life-Extension
Planning effort to replace mine warfare capability resulted in cost almost double the set budget. Failure means at least ten years lost in replacing ageing capability.

Behold the industrial powerhouse of Europe and their mighty military machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
tbf, german military machine being a funny joke is probably the best news a europe can hope for. hopefully all the other military machines of the world soon follow it

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
germany was the heart of europes arms industries and also the country that got deindustrialised this year

whatever America's plans are for NATO, Europe having industrial capacity is not part of them

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol what's a plan

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it heralds a return to cottage industry NATO armaments. Where every barrel and shell is bespoke, non standard and hand made by individual craftsmen. Like say, old mechanical watches.

Ammo interoperability? Flexible functionality? Hah you jest my good sir! Better to ask the size of the smith's hand span when gripped around a iron cannonball.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Palladium posted:

look if you diverted more MIC pork barrels to the constituencies of the Ms. Insider Trader she might figure out the real problem isn't because of 70 days waiting for medicals

Munce would probably taste better and have better quality control than pork from the MIC.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Regarde Aduck posted:

germany was the heart of europes arms industries and also the country that got deindustrialised this year

whatever America's plans are for NATO, Europe having industrial capacity is not part of them

lol remember when the germans had a cutting edge memory manufacturer in 2009

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

NATO's #1 target is nations other than the US in NATO

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bedpan posted:

NATO's #1 target is nations other than the US in NATO

To keep the Americans in charge, Germany down and the Russians out.

Working thus far.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

DancingShade posted:

Maybe it heralds a return to cottage industry NATO armaments. Where every barrel and shell is bespoke, non standard and hand made by individual craftsmen. Like say, old mechanical watches.

Ammo interoperability? Flexible functionality? Hah you jest my good sir! Better to ask the size of the smith's hand span when gripped around a iron cannonball.

An entire military with the troop-harming capacity of the V-22

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1733811831406547079

if it's china im sure they'll make anti-aircraft artillery great again

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
wouldn't AAA be well-suited for shooting at drones?

like, idk how you'd work the detection and targeting, but at least throwing clouds of shrapnel at those altitudes would be better than trying to hit them with missiles (and more reliable than trying to do it with small arms)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tbh I'm trying to work out what purpose a 76mm AAA would actually serve?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I've been armchair hypothesizing large caliber autocannon aa was going to come back to combat drone swarms. You can get a pretty reasonable fragmentation shell in 76mm while still getting that really high rate of fire. Large caliber autocannon gives you that sweet spot of a rate of fire/slew rate/ammo (e.g., stuff SAMs generally aren't mathing out well on vs lots of drones) but much longer ranges and a higher lethal burst radius than smaller stuff like 20 or 30mm.

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 06:31 on Dec 12, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Maybe this is one of those things where the Chinese are building countermeasures for a thing only they can even do

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

Technically it's anti anything in range.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

The Oldest Man posted:

the ideology says that wasting a billion dollars on a hundred projects that all fail hoping to find one that will return 10 billion is better than investing a billion dollars for a 5% return because you can bail out of the 100 projects before they go tits up and hopefully make bank and leave other people holding the bag

If you want this exact thing worded in a funnier way, watch this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzAdXyPYKQo

The Oldest Man posted:

It's very hard to explain to normies that IPOs are not when you can get in on the ground floor, but rather when all the real players recruit bag-holders so they can cash out.

Bagholders focus on the "Initial" in IPO, but the real players focus on "Public", and understand it really means "Rubes".

DancingShade posted:

Oh hell yeah let's go pre-Napoleon. RETVRN

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 09:58 on Dec 12, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

Oh hell yeah let's go pre-Napoleon. RETVRN

I long for a world where every push is determined by the synchronicity of a hand wound gold watch that may or may not be accurate to the minute. But by golly it's tucked into a fine silk waistocat.

Huzzah!

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1733811831406547079

if it's china im sure they'll make anti-aircraft artillery great again

It's that Italian spaag that was extremely op when it first came out in war thunder!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Thanks for the appreciation guyse.

---

the super TL;DR of it is compound interest.

The longer answer: financial capitalism takes over industrial as more means of capital transaction become interesting or necessary for its own expansion, forming means of accumulation that are faster than the rate of expansion for material value. Engels on vol. 3:

Through stocks and all sorts of securities, a speculative valuation can be assigned to companies on the combination of its factories, stores, resources, production, etc - that can be summarized in its share ticket price. The stock price does not reflect at all what the actual material value of the company is. But this valuation can be then operated in many, many different forms that can provide massive returns larger than the actual material value produced by the company (such as in options etc), through the magic of fictitious capital. The stockbroker could loan, invest and speculate on twenty different factories at the same time, while the industrialist works only on his own business; the stockbroker also provides the credit for the industrialist for that exact same reason. This eventually leads to

Contemporary capitalism is extremely grift-welcoming because for that type of capitalist (the bourgeois person with Actual Money) matters little to piss cash if it can pulverize into two hundred ventures in which one will flip into an "unicorn" and make jackpot once it goes into initial public offer. Money managers, who are not in the top level but occupy second or third in global capitalism, are there for the very reason of organizing and expediting that process in smaller firms (such as in the form of venture capital).

Another way to not worry about it is just to form a Blackrock who does everything for you, while also guaranteeing your Actual Money through being major investor in many Actual Companies That Provide Lots of Actual Revenue, such as wal-mart, amazon, exxon, chevron, apple etc. You will never get to become a Walton or anything like that, but you get to be on a nice eight to a cool twelve billion USD mark (publicly ofc, you might have way more) without absolutely any effort at all. Every now and then you get a payday because they have flipped an unicorn.

Everything is pretty good until that person suddenly has to try their hand at the 155mm Shell Production International Index. How do you make hands and a mind that have never really struggled in laboring for real value understand that they cannot solve this problem by throwing cash at it?

thanks. i was asking that question as a rhetorical thrust to say that the emergence of the ideology is a result of the material circumstances of rewarding the dividends of capital as opposed to the production power of labour.

it's really good to have the theoretical refences of the OGs with respect to it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

crepeface posted:

thanks. i was asking that question as a rhetorical thrust to say that the emergence of the ideology is a result of the material circumstances of rewarding the dividends of capital as opposed to the production power of labour.

it's really good to have the theoretical refences of the OGs with respect to it

there’s a math part of the answer that’s alluded to in that post too. basically, you can borrow money at x% interest right? if you can invest that borrowed money and return more than x%, then you can boost your return to shareholders to higher levels than it would be if you just did an investment without borrowing money. and in fact there’s a strong financial incentive for everyone to do so. everything seems great until your investment profit rate drops below the interest rate

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
here ff enjoy a pic of some communist artillery men being fancy lads

https://twitter.com/carlzha/status/1734545790193095076?s=61&t=ekRyXxBjaNIALwWgK2O6xQ

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

Someone finally read my emails and policy notes.

It's needs to be 94mm for poetic reasons though. Added benefits are that choice facilitates one (1) extra regimental dinner per year, celebrating the siege of the Channel Ports. RHQ and DND can invite a Czech delegation for some international goodwill, photo ops, and Czech food and beer at the dinner, which is good for morale.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

here ff enjoy a pic of some communist artillery men being fancy lads

https://twitter.com/carlzha/status/1734545790193095076?s=61&t=ekRyXxBjaNIALwWgK2O6xQ

Do you think the whitewall tyres are the same as the standard tyres but with appliqué, or do they have a production line and supply chain for whitewalls?

Trying to imagine that capacity existing in the west.

Those are captured American guns firing the salute, btw. I don't know if anyone caught that, 105mm M2A1s.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:15 on Dec 12, 2023

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
*tires

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

Those are captured American guns firing the salute, btw. I don't know if anyone caught that, 105mm M2A1s.

and here i thought that i couldn't like vietnam any more than i already do

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

gradenko_2000 posted:

wouldn't AAA be well-suited for shooting at drones?

like, idk how you'd work the detection and targeting, but at least throwing clouds of shrapnel at those altitudes would be better than trying to hit them with missiles (and more reliable than trying to do it with small arms)

sure, but what would we do with the frickin' anti-drone lasers we've been cooking up?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

sure, but what would we do with the frickin' anti-drone lasers we've been cooking up?

Science fiction has ruined America’s brains. Not even a specific work. Just the concept has untethered something.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Cerebral Bore posted:

and here i thought that i couldn't like vietnam any more than i already do

Vietnam got tired of all the winning.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Besides drones, I'm sure it'll gently caress up a helicopter or an A-10 pretty well

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Thread full of gamers and no one remembers how much the OTOmatic hosed things up in Warthunder and Wargame Red Dragon.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Frosted Flake posted:

lol that owns.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

I must say, Europe being colonialized by the United States is nothing if not funny

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Frosted Flake posted:

:hellyeah:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

europe is just transitioning to a fictitious economy like the us. that's the end point for any core state.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

PhilippAchtel posted:

I must say, Europe being colonialized by the United States is nothing if not funny

it’s completely wild how they’re (almost) all just going along with it. I know the left is dead but my god.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

PhilippAchtel posted:

China was right there, man :sigh:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Best Friends posted:

it’s completely wild how they’re (almost) all just going along with it. I know the left is dead but my god.

i mean i think its an open secret at this point that Ursula von Der Leyen is a US plant but that doesn't explain why everyone around her is just following. I guess at some point 'rationality' requires that someone, somewhere, in the chain goes 'wait a minute' and they're just not.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

i mean i think its an open secret at this point that Ursula von Der Leyen is a US plant but that doesn't explain why everyone around her is just following. I guess at some point 'rationality' requires that someone, somewhere, in the chain goes 'wait a minute' and they're just not.

Everyone around her attended the same classes and had the same employment experience and read the same writings. Shaking it off requires someone to be a complete weirdo who does something like read Marx instead of the blob of credentialed, expert neoliberals riding on the wave of the end of history.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The left was the only thing holding back the death drive. Now the intrusive thoughts will win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

If you want this exact thing worded in a funnier way, watch this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzAdXyPYKQo

the early SV seasons are way too real