Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

AlternateNu posted:

Dirac live setup was pretty painless. Sounds loving awesome. Discovered one weird quirk with Pioneer AVRs. If your front L/Rs are powerful enough/cover enough range, it'll automatically shift all the bass to them, leaving the sub to languish. You actually have to go into the hardware settings and change your front speakers to "Small" for it to engage the sub.

My Denon did the same, set the fronts to large and the crossover to 40Hz.

With 6.5" woofer bookshelf speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

KozmoNaut posted:

My Denon did the same, set the fronts to large and the crossover to 40Hz.

With 6.5" woofer bookshelf speakers.

Pioneers only go down to 50Hz for crossover. But that works so long as you toggle on "Double Bass". Thanks for the tip.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah the assumption for whatever reason is that if your speakers are capable don’t send their bass to the sub

Most people don’t like that but there’s arguments for both- do what sounds best to you

Don’t do double bass though

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I changed it to large and 80Hz manually afterwards, the measurements were probably a bit confused by the speakers and the measurement position being close to opposite walls.

It certainly sounds better set to large and 80Hz, for sure.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dogen posted:

Don’t do double bass though

Any particular reason?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It has a strong tendency to cause some interference in those frequencies but yknow again do what sounds best to you, but generally if that setting seems to sound better it’s likely that you need to work on setting up your sub a little more (placement or channel level).

Another theory is that the sub takes some load off your woofers once the crossover is hit allowing them to perform better at other frequencies because those low frequencies are much harder for a woofer to produce but I don’t know how much there is to that (I mean yes it is harder for them to produce, but does it improve the rest of their production to pull those frequencies? I dunno.)

Dogen fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 2, 2023

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

DMP-A6 vs. Geshelli J2S maxed out with a WiiM Pro?

Would the sound quality edge out the flashiness of the screen?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Hi thread.

For the first time in my life I have a TV worth a drat. I’d like to pair it with some better sound now, and could use some guidance.

A few notes:

I’m mostly thinking soundbar here. I’m in a small apartment. The living room area is maybe 10 ft from TV wall to couch wall, and about ~13 feet in terms of space people are going to sit (it opens up into the rest of the floor plan, but that space isn’t a stereo/surround consideration). I think I’d like Atmos support? Seems like that’d be fun to take advantage of in a small-ish space.

That said, I’m mostly thinking 3.1 over 5.1, as I don’t really have the ability to mount rear satellites anywhere useful for now. Expandability to add sat’s later is a Nice to Have, but not really meaningful for me.

HDMI pass through is a must for me; I’m currently running 4 HDMI devices as is (Switch/XBox/PS/Apple TV) - and obviously will want the soundbar on eARC; that said, the switch can’t do any fancy stuff so I don’t need the HDMI pass through to handle any of the crazy VRR poo poo that’s out there or whatever. (I was all ready to pull the trigger on the Wirecutter rec Polk Magnifi Mini before this shortcoming became apparent.)

The other big Nice to Have is Bluetooth support for streaming music - but I can always just route stuff through my TV I guess.

I have an LG TV, so I know their soundbars can do various shenanigans to sync better with the tv, but I also know that none of those features should be a particularly big deal. I guess it’s a tiebreaker feature for me along with expandability?

All that said, I’m not looking for blow me away sound - just an upgrade over anemic TV speakers. My budget is up to 500 if there’s really no cheaper options, but I’d strongly prefer to keep it closet to 3 bills if I can.

Any suggestions?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Chevy Slyme posted:

Hi thread.

For the first time in my life I have a TV worth a drat. I’d like to pair it with some better sound now, and could use some guidance.

A few notes:

I’m mostly thinking soundbar here. I’m in a small apartment. The living room area is maybe 10 ft from TV wall to couch wall, and about ~13 feet in terms of space people are going to sit (it opens up into the rest of the floor plan, but that space isn’t a stereo/surround consideration). I think I’d like Atmos support? Seems like that’d be fun to take advantage of in a small-ish space.

That said, I’m mostly thinking 3.1 over 5.1, as I don’t really have the ability to mount rear satellites anywhere useful for now. Expandability to add sat’s later is a Nice to Have, but not really meaningful for me.

HDMI pass through is a must for me; I’m currently running 4 HDMI devices as is (Switch/XBox/PS/Apple TV) - and obviously will want the soundbar on eARC; that said, the switch can’t do any fancy stuff so I don’t need the HDMI pass through to handle any of the crazy VRR poo poo that’s out there or whatever. (I was all ready to pull the trigger on the Wirecutter rec Polk Magnifi Mini before this shortcoming became apparent.)

The other big Nice to Have is Bluetooth support for streaming music - but I can always just route stuff through my TV I guess.

I have an LG TV, so I know their soundbars can do various shenanigans to sync better with the tv, but I also know that none of those features should be a particularly big deal. I guess it’s a tiebreaker feature for me along with expandability?

All that said, I’m not looking for blow me away sound - just an upgrade over anemic TV speakers. My budget is up to 500 if there’s really no cheaper options, but I’d strongly prefer to keep it closet to 3 bills if I can.

Any suggestions?

We hate soundbars!

Is this a house or apartment? Can you hear your neighbors? Can you draw a picture of your layout?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

LRADIKAL posted:

We hate soundbars!

Is this a house or apartment? Can you hear your neighbors? Can you draw a picture of your layout?

Half assed notes app sketch:

Wall to wall it’s about 10 feet across - sitting on the couch facing the TV, my viewing distance is about 7.5 feet. The whole space before the open up is about 12 feet long.

It’s an apartment. And yeah, I can hear my neighbors occasionally, (though, more up/down than the other side of the wall), so don’t want to get too loud.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm going to talk off the cuff since I feel like it. Take it all with a grain of salt. Also this'll be a bit disjointed and random! Saturday night COVID recover with beer!

A subwoofer might not be great in an apartment, which is maybe a point for a sound bar. Since you suggested atmos, I'll assume you're a movie watcher, in which case, you might want to thank about room treatment. A curtain to divide the room from the rest of the place, and a matching curtain on the right wall (or some tasteful decorative acoustic panels). I bet someone can reccomend you some real nice large bookshelf speakers or very medium sized tower speakers for either side. Such a setup could incorporate a center channel and a some rear speakers, but honestly you'd probably be good with a straight up stereo system:

Stereo amplifier hanging off of the tv via RCA/headphone or optical. This powers two very nice floor standing or bookshelf speakers. The room treatment will actually make the environment very cozy and efficient and you can play things fairly loud without vibrating your apt with a subwoofer. You might also consider mounting some nice bookshelf speakers from the wall depending on lease/your own spackeling ability.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bunk Rogers posted:

DMP-A6 vs. Geshelli J2S maxed out with a WiiM Pro?

Would the sound quality edge out the flashiness of the screen?

Almost certainly not.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Update: I did it. No idea what to do with a $1000 soundbar with dying visual inputs but hey, at least I’ll have much better equipment that’ll scale to 8k and let me plug in more than two HDMI inputs.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
$1000 soundbar... dang, that would be a really good stereo system.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I got it for $500 off some deal site. It could simulate 5.1.2 and actually had a subwoofer so it sounded good, but it never could quite handle eARC (would randomly drop video and require unplugging/re-plugging to fix, even after switching cables and devices) and it didn’t have a sync fixer so using it as an output made sound sync a huge problem.

I’m pretty sure the video drop is due to it being relatively new when 4K VRR started being a thing but sometimes it just farts out anyway. Either way I don’t wanna sell it to someone in this condition so outside of turning it into a very large chromecast stereo I’m at a loss.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9QF1L4K/?th=1
https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR3100-5-2-Channel-Receiver/dp/B0CCYWQ2B7/

Or

https://www.amazon.com/YAMAHA-RX-V4A-5-2-Channel-Receiver-MusicCast/dp/B08CKGYLNS/

Any thoughts?

Crossposting from quick question thread:

Jaxyon posted:

I have a 15+ yo Yamaha HTR-5730. It's been in storage for a few years.

I have a Athena Audio Micra6 system that is still pretty good, and I want a receiver to run it.

The Yamaha has no HDMI anything because, old, and I want a A/V receiver to replace it. What's a good comparable thing to slot in?

The speaker system is 5.1. It's a relatively small living room so I have no current interest in adding two additional speakers for 7.1. I only have one source that I use regularly so I don't need gobs of HDMI 2.1 connections, 4 is enough.

Am I missing anything? Only the Onkyo has Atmos. Is that worth it?

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 4, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Atmos is only worth it if you have the special speakers for it, and you plan to watch a lot of content that supports it on a format that supports it. Which is reasonably possible! But it’s kind of a narrow window of people probably.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dogen posted:

Atmos is only worth it if you have the special speakers for it, and you plan to watch a lot of content that supports it on a format that supports it. Which is reasonably possible! But it’s kind of a narrow window of people probably.

Thank you! That was unclear, and steers me at the Yamaha. Also it has a big rear end dial. But also it has a lot of wifi support the Denon doesn't.

My 20yo speakers are certainly not Atmos capable and if I need to replace speakers that's a much bigger spend that I'm unwilling to do at this time.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Well I mean like, it’s two more speakers, you can do separates though some towers include them. They’re either up firing to bounce off the ceiling or mounted high on the wall direct firing (front, optional rears I think?)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Dogen posted:

Well I mean like, it’s two more speakers, you can do separates though some towers include them. They’re either up firing to bounce off the ceiling or mounted high on the wall direct firing (front, optional rears I think?)

Oh....if I can just add in later, my streaming services all seem to have atmos, I might pick up some extra satellites at a later date. I thought you meant some sort of specific speaker tech.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Jaxyon posted:

Oh....if I can just add in later, my streaming services all seem to have atmos, I might pick up some extra satellites at a later date. I thought you meant some sort of specific speaker tech.

Nah the tech part is all in the receiver, just gotta hook em up to the appropriate speaker outs

I think you can do like in ceiling ones as well

Dogen fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 4, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I run 7.1 Atmos and don't have a single special Atmos speaker. I just have a pair of small Polk satellite speakers tilted upwards on top of my front speakers.

My wife and I did a blind A+B test with them because she wasn't convinced it would do anything, but we both noticed it made a nice impact on stuff with good mixing for overheads like windy scenes outside, stuff flying overhead in a scene, etc. heck even the Dolby Surround up mixing grabs stuff like winds and helicopters and does a decent job matrixing them to the upper channels. I definitely prefer it to just basic 7.1.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

If I'm not mistaken that Onkyo only has a 5.1 setup, where you can either have atmos or surrounds.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
This is a very dumb question but I haven’t had a receiver in like 15 years. I’m gonna have a 2.1 system but everything is mixed for Atmos or 5.1 nowadays. The receiver just handles the difference, right?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
If I recall Dolby Atmos and 7.1 TrueHD mixes have a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix encoded within to cater for hardware that can't decode/transmit 8ch uncompressed audio.

Would not be surprised if they had a stereo/2ch mix in there also, but if not almost anything that can decode DD5.1 is also capable of downmixing to stereo.

As for the sub, just make sure your receiver is set up to pump low frequencies through it from a stereo source, rather than just a dedicated LFE channel, as there's no guarantee the downmix will include that. Playing music is the easiest way to test this.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Oryp posted:

If I'm not mistaken that Onkyo only has a 5.1 setup, where you can either have atmos or surrounds.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HFN8T64/

might be the better pick for me in that case

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Definitely peruse A4L, it's goon approved and has great deals on gently used/refurbished gear

https://www.accessories4less.com/

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Seems like a good choice for your requirements. I haven't heard anything bad about the S660H.

Thanks again! Once I got all the settings right (which was pretty easy) it all works better than I ever thought it would.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Mederlock posted:

Definitely peruse A4L, it's goon approved and has great deals on gently used/refurbished gear

https://www.accessories4less.com/

Oh that's nice. Thanks!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Geemer posted:

Thanks again! Once I got all the settings right (which was pretty easy) it all works better than I ever thought it would.

I picked one up a 660H this weekend too, replacing an older 3xx series Yamaha with no 4k60 or eARC support.

Audyssey is definitely a step up from the YPAO room calibration. I'm happier with the sound even on DD5.1 sources, and getting 6ch pcm out of the Xbox vs compressed Dolby Digital via ARC is definitely a noticeable improvement.

Have had some issues with my Chromecast GTV not playing nice (messed up video signal), so I've popped that back into the tv, but this seems to be causing some wack behaviour with CEC, so I probably need to go through the settings on everything again.

TV doesn't seem to want to turn off with the AVR remote, and sometimes the input changes back to the GTV when it shouldn't. Getting the Google TV working properly with it seems like the best solution. It works fine straight into the TV so any advice would be appreciated.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

TV doesn't seem to want to turn off with the AVR remote, and sometimes the input changes back to the GTV when it shouldn't. Getting the Google TV working properly with it seems like the best solution. It works fine straight into the TV so any advice would be appreciated.

I had some CEC gremlins as well, but they seem to have calmed down once I told the receiver to ignore the command to switch to TV audio, and I also ended up power cycling the entire setup while cable managing.

I got my Chromecast + GTV connected straight to the AVR and it hasn't misbehaved so far, except one time right after the aforementioned power cycling, where it made the signal switch to it once it booted up. I barely use it, though, so I'm really not the right person to ask.

I can't get it to turn off the TV with the AVR remote either, but it does work the other way around where the AVR turns on and off when I use my cable box/normal TV/bluray player remote.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Got everything hooked up today. Banana cables rule.

Thanks everyone for your help. The bigger subwoofer really makes an impact and I actually kinda like just having stereo up front rather than the soundbar trying to make 5.1.2 happen all on one unit.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Also not sure if this is the best place to talk about it but finally got tired of having four remotes and CEC being CEC, so I picked up a Sofabaton X1. Took me about an hour to get everything connected and programmed but it seems to be working pretty well so far. The internet made this thing sound like a complete piece of poo poo but I can control everything with it and made macros to switch between inputs and even auto start Plex on my shield.

My setup is pretty simple - Apple TV for pretty much everything streaming and a Shield for Plex. I usually just pipe music through Apple TV or Plex so I didn’t bother with a macro for getting the receiver to do its Heos thing.

The button mapping doesn’t have what I’d call Apple-level UX but I’ve worked with way less intuitive devices. I do think getting one of those massive cable company remotes set up would be a nightmare though.

The biggest bummer is it uses Bluetooth rather than RF, but I also don’t know if that’s something they decided or if it’s a limitation of the devices it connects to.

I never had a Logitech harmony so maybe I’m just ignorant to what these things should be but I have all my other remotes in a drawer now.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

They screwed up and sent me black instead of white, probably going to return them.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Bruv put a shirt on

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
NSFW tits in the home audio thread? You're beautiful, girl!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, I was going to post pictures of my speakers, but now I'm feeling self conscious.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Nice cones.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The truth is funnier than my fiction in this case: that picture is in user reviews on best buys website.

I’m still waiting for my speakers, worried that the sale sold so many that I’m not going to get them before Christmas in which case the order will be cancelled. If that happens I’m going to go to BB and try and talk them into giving me the same discount on something in stock locally. Probably won’t do it but worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

bird with big dick posted:

The truth is funnier than my fiction in this case: that picture is in user reviews on best buys website.

Mhmm