Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Maybe he’s a better improviser than a businessman; I’m in the same boat, I love the guy, but I can’t quite justify that sub in my budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I’d buy in if he did a pod as August with Gourley as Giger, and Tompkins as Herzog.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like the Big Grande way of making a bunch of episodes in season packs, charging you one sum for it and it’s yours forever.

If you're canny about cancelling subscriptions, most operate on this model unofficially.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Andy can pull numbers by himself, probably makes more this way. The podcast is still amazing, just sad to see Bamford go, hope she can be back occasionally.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I’m subscribed, and while I still enjoy it, it would probably be the first subscription to go.

They did get into a weird Extravaganza loop of just Hot Dog, Auggi and Joe Walsh that was diminishing returns on the joke, which isn’t bad if you have a lot more shows like when on CBB World, but 1-2 episodes a month isn’t a great value.

My biggest complaint about how the current models for podcasts are is that it’s so much harder to send to people (if you can at all).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love Andy and hope this plan is working out for him, but if you want weekly stuff you’re paying almost the same as CBB World for essentially one show. Given there seems to be no falling out, I’m still confused as to why he went this direction.

I mean, his stuff is the best comedy podcast out there so it's extremely worth it in my book. I also do Gourley and Rust's Patreon and it's similarly worth it to me because it's not the volume I'm after, it's the quality. I'm guessing Andy looked at Gourley's numbers and saw that he could do well enough on his own to make it worth his while.

Sure it's not as much "value" as CBB World from a minutes perspective, but if I go to a mid-sized comedian's live standup show I could drop the equivalent of a year's worth of Andy Daly podcasts for just an hour or two of quality entertainment.

I get that not everyone has it in their budget, but I'm willing to spend a bit more on entertainment that goes directly to artists whose work I love.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

kdrudy posted:

The podcast is still amazing, just sad to see Bamford go, hope she can be back occasionally.

Aww. She was a wild get for Bonanza. I might re-subscribe for a month at some point and binge all the new eps, some day.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I wish he'd do another season of the Pilot Podcast Project because all those characters are hilarious and its good to hear them in small doses.

Also remembered the Dead Authors podcast where Andy played a few characters. But there's a bunch of great appearances on that from other CBB regulars, including Adomian playing Nietzsche and Hunter S Thompson, Lauren Lapkis as Beatrix Potter, and Matt Gourley as a bunch of people.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ccs posted:

Also remembered the Dead Authors podcast where Andy played a few characters. But there's a bunch of great appearances on that from other CBB regulars, including Adomian playing Nietzsche and Hunter S Thompson, Lauren Lapkis as Beatrix Potter, and Matt Gourley as a bunch of people.

Ben Schwartz as Roald Dahl learning about his anti-Semitism in real time and trying to stay in character despite obviously being devastated was probably the high point of that show.

Also for some reason Kristen Schaal as Tennessee Williams wistfully talking about his sister getting a lobotomy was a bit that’s always stayed with me.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Ccs posted:

Lauren Lapkis as Beatrix Potter.

I remember that time. I remember that guy. I remember that!

Chairman Capone posted:

Ben Schwartz as Roald Dahl learning about his anti-Semitism in real time and trying to stay in character despite obviously being devastated was probably the high point of that show.

High point of all podcasts, really.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Daly's first episode as L. Ron Hubbard is a loving masterclass. Dead Authors Podcast just generally speaking is one of the best improv ones out there. Incredibly niche, but if you know the author, it hits wonderfully, and some guests really shine.

Briefly met Paul F Tompkins at a CBB live show ages ago and asked if it'd ever come back. iirc, he said "never say never", but that was like six years ago.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Daly's first episode as L. Ron Hubbard is a loving masterclass. Dead Authors Podcast just generally speaking is one of the best improv ones out there. Incredibly niche, but if you know the author, it hits wonderfully, and some guests really shine.

Briefly met Paul F Tompkins at a CBB live show ages ago and asked if it'd ever come back. iirc, he said "never say never", but that was like six years ago.

It feels unfinished without a Jules Verne episode

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Daly's first episode as L. Ron Hubbard is a loving masterclass.

are you trying to enturbulate me

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I was the commander of a Burger King

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The phrase “eight cums a day” from the l Ron Hubbard pilot project ep is seared into my head

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

There are no snakes at the foot of your bed. There is nothing wrong with masturbation, all men masturbate. Your patience is infinite. You do not masturbate.

All the L Ron Hubbard affirmations are comedy gold.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
As talented as he is, nothing Andy Daly could do as a performer could be as funny or as weird as the actual things Hubbard wrote as self-care.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That first L Ron episode really is the best comedy podcast episode I've ever listened to by a mile. Kiss Me I'm Patrick McMahon is an easy second, but a distant second. The second one is great, too, but feels a bit like trying to recapture magic.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Mary Holland as Virginia Woolf is probably my favorite Dead Author's ep. She's completely deranged and you can tell everyone is having so much fun. Another great one is Andy Daly as the Marquis De Sade.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I haven't listened to it yet, but the holiday episode looks to have great guests. Can't wait to hear what the Pig poo poo twins and the world's busiest man have been up to.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I haven't listened to it yet, but the holiday episode looks to have great guests. Can't wait to hear what the Pig poo poo twins and the world's busiest man have been up to.

These are sure to be hard hitting and informative interviews with interesting people on humanity and the animal kingdom's podcast.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Don’t come in with a premise after the Pig poo poo twins and make them look bad.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Skeebie Go "Wow"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This was a really great episode but the funniest part was Scott forgetting to tell Will Hines, apparently badmouthing him for being a no show during the breaks, realizing his mistake, texting him, Hines racing over to make it… just to immediately get turned into Harvey Weinstein.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

This was a really great episode but the funniest part was Scott forgetting to tell Will Hines, apparently badmouthing him for being a no show during the breaks, realizing his mistake, texting him, Hines racing over to make it… just to immediately get turned into Harvey Weinstein.

The other guests were fuckin’ relentless about it too

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

At this point I do hope Hines gets a break at some point. He's definitely in on the joke, but it's probably going get a little old for him that every character he brings gets sabotaged so brutally and so quickly. That said, it was hilarious, and he did eventually lean into it just as others were letting it go.

Gil Ozari for CBB Player of the year. Jacob Wyzaki and Vic were new(?) stars too. Scott's lawyer who delivers no-context recitation of old CBB back and forths is a goldmine and I hope they bring it back.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

At this point I do hope Hines gets a break at some point. He's definitely in on the joke, but it's probably going get a little old for him that every character he brings gets sabotaged so brutally and so quickly. That said, it was hilarious, and he did eventually lean into it just as others were letting it go.

Gil Ozari for CBB Player of the year. Jacob Wyzaki and Vic were new(?) stars too. Scott's lawyer who delivers no-context recitation of old CBB back and forths is a goldmine and I hope they bring it back.

it would be funny if will got to play an extremely high status character on like his birthday or something

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Vic's been on since 2021 and Jacob since 2020. Vic's also done close to the most improv4humans appearances besides Besser over the last 4 years if you just want more of them.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 20, 2023

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I can't abide this Lisa Gilroy erasure.

Dr. Skeleton's Celebrity Toilet is my easy #1 this year.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

kdrudy posted:

Dr. Skeleton's Celebrity Toilet is my easy #1 this year.
Seconded on all fronts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwV6p7tD2Ks

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

kdrudy posted:

Wasn’t she the lawyer?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Vic and Jacob are also on Dropout on youtube quite frequently. Lisa Gilroy has showed up a few times, and Zack and Jess have their own show. You have to pay to see the episodes, but it is WELL worth it. I spent an entire weekend doing nothing but watching Gamechanger and Make Some Noise.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

ArtVandelay posted:

Vic and Jacob are also on Dropout on youtube quite frequently. Lisa Gilroy has showed up a few times, and Zack and Jess have their own show. You have to pay to see the episodes, but it is WELL worth it. I spent an entire weekend doing nothing but watching Gamechanger and Make Some Noise.

They actually posted a full episode of Make Some Noise with Vic and Jacob on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXBHEHrm9v0

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn’t she the lawyer?

Vic was the lawyer, Lisa is one of the Pig Sheeeiiiit twins.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

Jess Mckenna was on an episode of gamechanger (i think) where she and two other guys improvised an entire musical and good lord is she talented

the other guys were too, i just can't remember their names

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Jess Mckenna was on an episode of gamechanger (i think) where she and two other guys improvised an entire musical and good lord is she talented

the other guys were too, i just can't remember their names

It was Jess, Zack, and Zeke Nicholson. It's rather incredible. It was so good they got their own spinoff show.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Off Book!

They have a Christmas Tradition where PFT and Nicole Parker come improvise a holiday musical.

Then at the end they do a wacky 12 days of christmas

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

PFT dies, Scott can only stammer out "W...what?" with genuine incredulity and Hodgman - the one true professional in the room - just Yes Ands without batting an eye

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gilroy is great, but Ozeri has the best batting average imo. I think he finally had one appearance this year I was only 'eh' on, but he's almost a slamdunk every episode he's on. The rapid fire wild recordings he brings, and how much it derails Scott to a commentary role vs. being able to host is just very my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The holiday episode was great, but honestly I feel like it was a down year for the show. I dunno if it was the strikes, but hopefully next year will bring some energy back.