Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Sosa had a four year stretch in which he hit 60+ home runs three times, and hit 243 home runs altogether in that period. He's absolutely a Hall of Famer.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

rickiep00h posted:

I can understand not eating a specifically prepared egg meal. Omelets, scrambles, poached, etc. But never consuming egg ever? That's fantastically unlikely, even as someone who knows several ways around using em. Unless he knows precisely where every single food product he eats (and has ever eaten!) came from, Michael Kay is, yet again, full of poo poo.

no i still don't understand it, recent price gouging aside egg is an extremely cheap, easy-to-prepare, and kid-friendly protein, how do you not just get sat down in front of a plate of scrambled eggs or a sunny side up at some point

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Sosa and McGwire get in on the narrative of the magical homerun chase season and saving baseball and all that nonsense. It's kind of weird they're still ostracized but then again baseball writers are probably the cattiest, most vengeful and petty people on the planet.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

elentar posted:

no i still don't understand it, recent price gouging aside egg is an extremely cheap, easy-to-prepare, and kid-friendly protein, how do you not just get sat down in front of a plate of scrambled eggs or a sunny side up at some point

The even weirder part is that he'd suddenly decide to break the streak at age 62. Did he mistake the egg white omelet for a pile of yogurt or something?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

elentar posted:

It’s more likely he’s just loving lying

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

RCarr posted:

It’s more likely he’s just loving lying

i get that too but then again like...why? what do you actually gain from this, even the viral storm that will happen from people dealing with this stupidity will subside very quickly

elentar fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 12, 2023

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

elentar posted:

i get that too but then again like...why? what do you actually gain from this, even the viral storm that will happen from people dealing with this stupidity will subside very quickly

Yea idk Michael Kay is a weird dude

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

General Bullshit posted:

Sosa and McGwire get in on the narrative of the magical homerun chase season and saving baseball and all that nonsense. It's kind of weird they're still ostracized but then again baseball writers are probably the cattiest, most vengeful and petty people on the planet.

McGwire's especially weird because they let him come back and coach so it's not like he's completely ostracized.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

live with fruit posted:

McGwire's especially weird because they let him come back and coach so it's not like he's completely ostracized.

So did Barry

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

General Bullshit posted:

I was in college when that happened, it was absolutely bonkers. People who never gave a poo poo about baseball watching cards and cubs games on tiny college 13'' TVs. IDK if y'all were of an age to watch baseball or were into at the time, but I've never really seen anything like it.

elentar posted:

I bet skip bayless has some spicy culinary takes as well, these guys just like to be provocative.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Let him go somewhere good, please

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1734657341184942561

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

zoux posted:

I bet skip bayless has some spicy culinary takes as well, these guys just like to be provocative.

I'm sure he detests Mexican food.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

live with fruit posted:

I'm sure he detests Mexican food.

His brother is Rick Bayless, who loves Mexican food.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

I was in college when that happened, it was absolutely bonkers. People who never gave a poo poo about baseball watching cards and cubs games on tiny college 13'' TVs. IDK if y'all were of an age to watch baseball or were into at the time, but I've never really seen anything like it.

I was seven and the home run chase was what flipped baseball in my head from "thing on the TV or radio while hanging out with dad" to a sport I actively paid attention to and had emotional investment in for the rest of my life. I am by far not the only one of my generation with a similar story and it cannot be overstated enough that the chase saved the sport and brought in a huge influx of new lifetime fans. Sosa and McGwire being left out of the hall is a goddamn travesty.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I figure he resigns with KC, I heard that the younger guys there really appreciated having him around. I mean you're not getting him for ability at this point, but as a mentor to younger guys I don't think you could do better.

Sydin posted:

I was seven and the home run chase was what flipped baseball in my head from "thing on the TV or radio while hanging out with dad" to a sport I actively paid attention to and had emotional investment in for the rest of my life. I am by far not the only one of my generation with a similar story and it cannot be overstated enough that the chase saved the sport and brought in a huge influx of new lifetime fans. Sosa and McGwire being left out of the hall is a goddamn travesty.

That moment for me actually came from the 1992 AFC wildcard game, watching the Bills mount a historical comeback against my die-hard father's Oilers flipped the same switch in my head, but for most sports. I was hooked on baseball within a year. (Atlanta Braves baseball :negative:, we lived in KS at the time) To this day I have a vivid memory of Don Beebe stepping out of bounds before coming back in to make a TD catch. My dad was losing his mind.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 12, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1734665902161813821?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

Royals trying harder than the Cubs

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Edit: ^^^ drat you! ^^^

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1734665902161813821

Feels like Gil Meche all over again

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Also, if we are talking about dingers, my perfect friend Ronald Acuña Jr won the Venezuelan league home run derby last night.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

This is a good deal.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WELCOME TO THE MOTHERFUCKING DEAL ZONE

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'd thought I was emotionally prepared for Ohtani to leave but legitimately got depressed when the growing up segment skipped over his Angels uniform. My perfect baseball boy has left for greener pastures :(

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

His brother is Rick Bayless, who loves Mexican food.

Yes.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

can we please give Zack a proper retirement tour this year even if he kinda would rather people not do anything?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

A Mod changes the title and the Deal Zone opens back up, coincidence?

(Thanks Dexo!)

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

live with fruit posted:

Sosa had a four year stretch in which he hit 60+ home runs three times, and hit 243 home runs altogether in that period. He's absolutely a Hall of Famer.

600 homers should be a guaranteed hall bid imo

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Someone please take an avatar, I have a problem

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

600 homers should be a guaranteed hall bid imo

That's why Brady was first ballot

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

nah that was the 5 World Series MVPs, more than double the next guy

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

maffew buildings posted:

hot take - if you hit 600 dingers in the bigs you should be in the HOF

How do you feel about 3,000 hits and 500 dingers

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Mustached Demon posted:

Can we be mad at this rear end in a top hat instead? Look at this idiot who doesn't like eggs.

From a while back, but eggs are disgusting and vomit-inducing. Happy to help.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Eric the Mauve posted:

How do you feel about 3,000 hits and 500 dingers

THAT IS ONE OF MY TRIGGERS I DO NOT APPRECIATE YOU BRINGING UP A PLAYER WITH 3000 HITS AND 500 DINGERS WHO IS NOT IN THE HOF WHO I WILL NOT ACKNOWLEDGE BY NAME OR HIS VERY POORLY TIMED DRUG TEST RESULTS AFTER CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONY

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Someone please take an avatar, I have a problem

Sorry bud. You're on an island here

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
why would there be a Greinke retirement tour when he's still got another five or six years after he transitions to eephus and knuckleballs exclusively?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Arraez in Minnesota? You won the trade, rest easy Minnesotans

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
It was to check in on his historic chase of a .400 season

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Get over yourself Washington state

Also I really though the Ms were dumping salary to make a run at Shohei, guess they were just dumping salary.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I love how on any kind of map like this no matter what the topic Wisconsin always stands alone. Truly the most idiosyncratic state.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I wish there was some random state the had like Esteury Ruiz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Explosionface posted:

From a while back, but eggs are disgusting and vomit-inducing. Happy to help.

This is violence.