Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So just to be clear, as someone who wasn't following the negotiations, the idea is that Turner will now buy/contract for/show/whatever raw and immediately cancel all aew programming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

projecthalaxy posted:

So just to be clear, as someone who wasn't following the negotiations, the idea is that Turner will now buy/contract for/show/whatever raw and immediately cancel all aew programming?

People seem to be taking Dave's tweet as an implication that WBD is now more interested in Raw than they were before. If they get the rights to Raw, they would then have little motivation to also spend money on AEW and the contract with Raw may even outright preclude them from doing so, which means AEW's contracts will simply expire, either this year or next year, and they'll have to go find another distribution partner.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Gotcha. I guess I'll probably wait for the contract to happen before declaring final victory over the California Cabal

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm going to wait for anyone else to say something considering it's Dave "they can't sell tickets in Perth" Meltzer

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm going to wait for anyone else to say something considering it's Dave "they can't sell tickets in Perth" Meltzer

good point lol

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Look it's been a week the tide has to turn on something

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

A shift in wrestling’s balance of power has begun

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1734665905890611466

oh dear... they didn't have the heart to tell him...

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1734665905890611466

oh dear... they didn't have the heart to tell him...

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
They're considering vacating the RoH tag belts, the pawn shop won't take them otherwise

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol MJF won't eat a pin for the stupid RoH tag belts.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

tony khan talking about upcoming AEW/ROH shows on the media call

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

It's "so cool" that two of the top ROH titles won't be at final battle because they are subject to antics on the cringe side of the tonyverse

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

lol MJF won't eat a pin for the stupid RoH tag belts.

He really shouldn't be eating pins unless it's to lose the World title or set up a World title defense but also they probably should of vacated them back when Cole got hurt instead of waiting this long

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 12, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Edit: whoops phone double post

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

He really shouldn't be eating pins unless it's to lose the title or set up a title defense but also they probably should of vacated them back when Cole got hurt instead of waiting this long

Very much an unforced error

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

I'm pleased and happy to repeat the news that we have, in fact, looked at vacating the ROH tag titles that have been held by two of our top stars and supposedly screwed up the ROH tag title scene. But, as you see, it's a beautiful day, the arenas are open and people are having a wonderful time. AEW, as you know, means "friendship".

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
SatoshiMiwa:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Also they haven't announced a pure title match for friday officially but if its yutes vs hook instead of josh woods getting the shot he's been building to for two months then vince and JUNGLE BOY are right to throw collision off the air.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

SatoshiMiwa:

Look any method to get posting numbers up!

closet statist
Mar 9, 2010

Spent like five minutes thinking about who had the ROH tag belts before realising. Dire

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's rad as hell that the show that doesn't have a show on TV has titles that grow more worthless with every passing week

I don't even care about RoH but lmao

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I used to watch every AEW show live when it aired including papes, I had third row floor seats to WrestleDream and Collision, and I even got into Dark for a bit but man something happened to AEW this year and it's not as fun as it used to be. There's too much poo poo going on in too many different directions at once and none of it is really good or entertaining. I noticed it first when Punk had a big baby bitch meltdown and it never really recovered. The Adam Cole/MJF stuff was really fun at first but they ran that poo poo into the ground super quick and killed the whole Roddy Strong joke so thoroughly I don't ever want to see Roddy on my tv again at all. I've stopped watching entirely and I'm now just watching 1993 wrestling because if I'm gonna watch clowns in a ring I might as well watch Doink

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If they lose the WBD partnership does the International title lose its SHAZAM power up?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Lmao

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

HonorableTB posted:

I used to watch every AEW show live when it aired including papes, I had third row floor seats to WrestleDream and Collision, and I even got into Dark for a bit but man something happened to AEW this year and it's not as fun as it used to be. There's too much poo poo going on in too many different directions at once and none of it is really good or entertaining. I noticed it first when Punk had a big baby bitch meltdown and it never really recovered. The Adam Cole/MJF stuff was really fun at first but they ran that poo poo into the ground super quick and killed the whole Roddy Strong joke so thoroughly I don't ever want to see Roddy on my tv again at all. I've stopped watching entirely and I'm now just watching 1993 wrestling because if I'm gonna watch clowns in a ring I might as well watch Doink

This is pretty much me right here as well, I keep up with stuff in the threads and on the news sites, and I'll check something out on YouTube now and then, but lately the only wrestling I'm actively watching is old WCCW/Mid-South/JCP stuff from the 1980s.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If anybody wants some reason for optimism, Collision has rebounded a bit in the ratings the last two weeks, including going up against an NXT show which prior to this past week, were absolutely loving decimating it. And right now, Collision is purely and firmly the wrestling-rear end wrestling show pretty much entirely based around the C2, with no MJFverse or Timeless Toni to drag it down. It's basically a show built around Eddie Kingston and Bryan Danielson right now and people are responding to that, in at least some small numbers.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SatoshiMiwa posted:

He really shouldn't be eating pins unless it's to lose the World title or set up a World title defense but also they probably should of vacated them back when Cole got hurt instead of waiting this long

Maybe don't put the title on him then. Bold suggestion I know.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
do the hungbucks still have the trios belts?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

do the hungbucks still have the trios belts?

The ROH trios belts are back on the Embassy.

The AEW trios belts are on the Acclaimed, who are still selling their devil beating I guess?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Acclaimed selling a beatdown for a bafflingly long time is better than them being on TV at this point.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

trios belts should be axed. total dud

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
kind of surprised the hungbucks didn't drop the belts to the dark order.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
AEW would immediately improve substantially if all the ROH poo poo were just excised from AEW and sent to live on Twitch or something. The roster is already so stacked with just AEW stuff that putting any kind of focus on ROH aside from the Briscoe tribute and stuff like that is just downright stupid. You've got main event level people itching for tv time and a roster of women who are desperate for more than one match per show but nope we gotta devote this 30 minute segment to an ROH branded match with ROH wrestlers using ROH belts. Athena is cool, but it feels kinda hosed that she got basically zero tv time while on AEW but has gotten MORE tv time on *AEW programming* since being punted to ROH that it gives some weird feeling whiplash. Like you're not good enough for the main roster but we'll push you on developmental, but then put the developmental poo poo on main roster prime tv!! It makes no sense lmao. But hey the papes aren't already long enough with the hour long buy-in plus 4 to 5 hours of pape itself, let's throw the ROH world title and ROH tag titles on the card because why the hell not

And yes Tony seems to be treating ROH the same way WWE treated OVW and then NXT.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Counterpoint: RoH is pwn and shouldn't have to be lashed to the Cringe Skit Show, just as Black and Gold NXT only failed when it was forced into interacting with raw by the saudi hostage crisis. Just evac people i like to the show i like and let MJF do all the devil skits he pleases until they get the axe, imo

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

trios belts should be axed. total dud

Yeah they're just clogging poo poo up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Shinjobi posted:

It's rad as hell that the show that doesn't have a show on TV has titles that grow more worthless with every passing week

I don't even care about RoH but lmao

ROH minus Athena is basically a giant joke. The world title was basically given away as a prize by the champion who is actually dumb. The TV title was vacated because they guy who held it said it was beneath him. The tag titles are currently held by one guy who rapadoos his way through insufferable comedy matches. The pure title had to be shoved onto default champ Yuta after the champ got injured again. It's a bunch of doofuses who aren't good enough for AEW picking the scraps of meaningless titles.