Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Think this happened to some coach in the 80s, but I’m completely blanking on who and what team. It was mentioned in articles about how Reich was the fastest HC firing besides this guy who was fired after two preseason games iirc (I prolly don’t)

George Allen with the Rams in 1978. He lasted all of those two preseason games and got sacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
And the only other first year head coach fired faster than Reich was Pete McCulley for the 1978 49ers, who only lasted 9 games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you're Les than a Steckel, you're just a speckle.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
For the record, I don't think Herbert's injury changes the Staley situation. We'll just point to last year's Cardinals where Kingsbury's fate was sealed long before Kyler got hurt.

New update coming this week!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Benne posted:

For the record, I don't think Herbert's injury changes the Staley situation. We'll just point to last year's Cardinals where Kingsbury's fate was sealed long before Kyler got hurt.

New update coming this week!

I think we might see Staley gone after Thursday's game.

Just a hunch

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Can we talk about how insane a coaching job Payton and Daboll have been doing?

garbage rosters for both and insanely bad injury luck for Daboll and they're both putting together some solid win streaks here at the end of the season. I know Daboll's not perfect but I'd absolutely take that dude as Bucs HC. His ability to make any QB look semi-competent is truly staggering.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

a neat cape posted:

I think we might see Staley gone after Thursday's game.

Just a hunch

I hope so. Free Herbie.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Relentlessboredomm posted:

garbage rosters for both and insanely bad injury luck for Daboll and they're both putting together some solid win streaks here at the end of the season. I know Daboll's not perfect but I'd absolutely take that dude as Bucs HC. His ability to make any QB look semi-competent is truly staggering.

Sean Payton is indeed an elite coach. Russ is producing better metrics than Geno in a bunch of categories lol.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I don't think the Broncos have lined up a tight end under center in a short yardage situation this year, so that automatically makes Payton a coach of the year candidate.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I thought it was silly Daboll was ever mentioned as being in danger, but his seat immediately went back to room temperature when the Giants won one game with Tommy DeVito, let alone three. Daniel Jones is the only person on the Giants in the hot seat right now (what an all-time terrible contract that was).

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Blind Pineapple posted:

I thought it was silly Daboll was ever mentioned as being in danger, but his seat immediately went back to room temperature when the Giants won one game with Tommy DeVito, let alone three. Daniel Jones is the only person on the Giants in the hot seat right now (what an all-time terrible contract that was).

That might not even be the worst QB contract signed last offseason.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It's weird because the Broncos offense hasn't been great all year. But their defense has made a gigantic turnaround.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

a neat cape posted:

It's weird because the Broncos offense hasn't been great all year. But their defense has made a gigantic turnaround.

They’re still producing more than last year, they couldn’t even average 18 a game last year lol

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Bellmaker posted:

They’re still producing more than last year, they couldn’t even average 18 a game last year lol

Hard not to be better than last year, but they're still below NFL average.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
If Jeudy could catch the ball reliably the offense would look a lot better. He's good at getting open, but I have a feeling we'll be drafting another WR next year.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

wandler20 posted:

That might not even be the worst QB contract signed last offseason.

At least Carr had shown the ability to be a league average starting QB prior to being offered this contract. Maybe it's undeserved, but I'd like to see him with someone other than Dennis Allen at the helm before completely writing him off.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Blind Pineapple posted:

At least Carr had shown the ability to be a league average starting QB prior to being offered this contract. Maybe it's undeserved, but I'd like to see him with someone other than Dennis Allen at the helm before completely writing him off.

It's the patented Carr trap. It's either "he needs more weapons" "he needs a better coach" or "he needs a defense" and it never ends. I'm in recovery and can assure you that he'll never actually win poo poo. I wish he would, he's a good human being to my knowledge but he just doesn't have whatever the gently caress intangibles he needs to be anything other than an aggressively mediocre QB.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Being fair, you're going to see those excuses for every player. Just a matter of them being good enough to make up for deficits in the roster. The guys who get the league average label don't have that much ability to make up for roster flaws.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
So the Jets were just hosed no matter what they did this year weren't they?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

saints are locked on carr for another year, so may as well bring in a better coach and see if that helps. But if the saints have the chance to grab one of the top QBs like daniels then jump on it and let Carr take the lumps while the rook learns.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Black Sunshine posted:

It's the patented Carr trap. It's either "he needs more weapons" "he needs a better coach" or "he needs a defense" and it never ends. I'm in recovery and can assure you that he'll never actually win poo poo. I wish he would, he's a good human being to my knowledge but he just doesn't have whatever the gently caress intangibles he needs to be anything other than an aggressively mediocre QB.

He’s not even mediocre right now, he’s bad. If he was mediocre the Saints would have 9 wins. I think with better coaching he might once again be able to reach league average.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nervous posted:

They could have tried to pay Lamar but every team colluded against that so

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They could have tried to pay Lamar but every team colluded against that so

Tha Falcons going out of their way to IMMEDIATELY AND PUBLICLY announce that they didn't want Lamar is still hilarious and depressing to me.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kraft made up his mind on the Bill decision week 10. It's over in Jan https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/patriots-made-decision-bill-belichick-future-patriots/572113/

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
People talking themselves into Carr as an impact signing this offseason was really really confusing to me. You can go lolMcDaniels all you want but he had very good weapons in Vegas and put up a below-average season last year; not sure why anyone expected anything better in New Orleans

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

xbilkis posted:

People talking themselves into Carr as an impact signing this offseason was really really confusing to me. You can go lolMcDaniels all you want but he had very good weapons in Vegas and put up a below-average season last year; not sure why anyone expected anything better in New Orleans

Because his completion percentage dropped like 8 points between his last year with Gruden and McDaniels coming in. He was never amazing but he looked particularly lovely under McDaniels in a way he hadn’t for years.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

xbilkis posted:

I didn't expect a collapse, but all talk against him in the offseason wasn't "you've seen his best" and was more in the vein of 'he was the problem on the Raiders", which I didn't believe then and still don't believe even now. I definitely don't believe it with the Raiders coming off a baseball score 3-0 loss

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

xbilkis posted:

I really don't think lolMcDaniels is quantifiable. Dude made Adams in his prime just a guy and caused him to complain.

NO doesn't have slouches at skill positions. Pretty reasonable to expect some kind of bounce back.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nervous posted:

I still think the Jets have a few more wins with Carr.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm of the mind of giving Carr a mulligan under Josh McDaniels because, well, it's Josh McDaniels. That said, he's still much worse than in the past despite having decent options at offense. Maybe he's just old, maybe Josh broke him mentally, whatever it is, this isn't the Carr of previous seasons.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
There was also the stat floated around at the time that the raiders had basically garbage defenses for carr’s entire time on the raiders and the saints were expected to have at least a functional defense

still lollin at the raiders fan I met in the wild this past offseason who was super hyped for jimmy g replacing carr because jimmy just wins

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Carr has also spent much of the season dealing with various injuries. I think Carr is average at best, this isn’t some kind of apology for him. But it can’t be helping matters.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Pontius Pilate posted:

There was also the stat floated around at the time that the raiders had basically garbage defenses for carr’s entire time on the raiders and the saints were expected to have at least a functional defense

still lollin at the raiders fan I met in the wild this past offseason who was super hyped for jimmy g replacing carr because jimmy just wins

I probably would've tried to get that person some medical attention

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Derek Carr really, really hates getting hit, so I don't know how that'd go with what the Jets OL has looked like this year.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Derek Carr has been in the league for 10 years and has two winning seasons to show for it

At some point it stops being everyone else's fault

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Hearing rumors that Sirriani is done as soon as they lose a playoff game.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Benne posted:

Derek Carr has been in the league for 10 years and has two winning seasons to show for it

At some point it stops being everyone else's fault

He made some really horrendous throws last year, and just in general was bad with fantastic options to throw to. Easy to blame McDaniels but Mac Jones played better in the same offense with worse weapons the year before that

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Nodoze posted:

He made some really horrendous throws last year, and just in general was bad with fantastic options to throw to. Easy to blame McDaniels but Mac Jones played better in the same offense with worse weapons the year before that

It’s easy to blame McDaniels because that’s two years in a row of QBs looking way worse under him than they did immediately before. Garappolo looked like complete poo poo this year. One year of Mac Jones looking middling is the only thing McDaniels has to his name and I think it’s fair to call that a fluke at this point.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Nodoze posted:

List the fantastic weapons please

I'm not convinced that anyone who keeps saying this actually watched more than 1 quarter of McDaniels making all the Raiders receiving talent take an immediate downturn from what they were before he was there

That passing offense was Davante being too good to be fully disappeared and nothing else working well at all

It's easy to blame McDaniels when he managed to evaporate all the production guys like Renfrow and Waller had with Carr before that season, and that pattern of previously productive players doing poorly continued into this season without Carr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Derek Carr really, really hates getting hit, so I don't know how that'd go with what the Jets OL has looked like this year.

One broken leg killing an arguable MVP season and it was pretty much over. Not really, he was still pretty good, but I do think his game changed after that.

David had to go through a lot more before it was obviously over, like jabs vs a knockout. Cursed QB family.