Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

dxt posted:

Is there a way to fix this on the Coway? Tape around the filter or something?

Double posting because I'm too lazy to copy the quote

Check all of your purifiers and see if your filters have any gaps. Maybe I just got a bad unit. If there is a gap, you could stuff the gap with a folded sheet of paper (like fold it 4 times along hotdog axis, maybe it'll take more than one sheet. For me, tape would be a last resort because I really don't want to damage the filter media or jeopardize a return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Steve Yun posted:

yeah what happened to Greek mythology names people

there's (probably) more variants than greek mythology people unless you dig deep with like Aphrodite

We'll need a Cassandra at some point though

Vesi has issued a correction as of 05:43 on Dec 13, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/mrmickme/status/1734456178456043876?s=46

https://x.com/mrmickme/status/1734477452964168105?s=46

https://x.com/_ppmv/status/1734674451185201450?s=46

finally some good news

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pingui posted:

Update on the very smart workplace policy mentioned above:

:lmao:

This is the one thing we wanted to happen.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-03865-y

This article kinda rules because the nature of how quickly articles on covid were released in pre-prints created a feedback loop of perverse incentives and the guy pointing it out is a covid minimizing hack at Stanford who published twice as many pre-prints as the people he’s bitching about

Bastard Tetris has issued a correction as of 10:17 on Dec 13, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
According to the doctor at Disney’s urgent care, influenza is rampant at WDW right now. (self.WaltDisneyWorld)

quote:

Was at Epcot yesterday and MK today. Lots of nasty sounding coughing. I’ve had COVID and flu vaccines but I won’t be shocked if I get sick this week.

quote:

Same. It was really gross, with the nastiest humans imaginable just open mouth coughing all over the place.

quote:

I’m all for staying home but you can’t expect people who’ve been saving for months/years and with limited vacation days to not go to WDW if they’re still mobile

quote:

Yes i can. Cast members are constantly getting sick because people don't know how to stay home, or at least put on a mask.

quote:

If they're sick and contagious, yes the frak I can.

quote:

I’m a cast member….so many coughing people. Trying to keep my distance but still friendly

quote:

My condolences. I have a ton of different N95s if you need them. I wear an elastomeric so I just stock up for when friends and family come to visit me or I have people working on my condo. Be safe out there.

quote:

Disney can be strict about what kind of masks we can wear. I was told in training to only wear surgical ones or a cloth one.

quote:

That’s terrible! Those don’t offer much protection at all. I’m sorry.

quote:

Not the most popular opinion on here as I’ve learned from experience, but wearing a mask in a busy area will help more than “we kept sanitizing our hands!” Especially when the person next to you in line is hacking away.

quote:

Fully support the wearing of a filtering mask in a busy area but the flu is spread through droplets so keeping clean hands is also a huge part of preventing flu.

quote:

The flu is airborne too.

quote:

The transmission of the flu is through droplets - it is not airborne.

quote:

Yeah, I was also told this in nursing school back in the day, but it turns out it's not true whatsoever. Scientists have known since at least as early as the 1960s that influenza was airborne, but for some reason (probably pushback from the miasma vs. cholera-water debacle?), they just kept telling everyone, even medical professionals, that it was only spread through droplets. I ended up becoming a teacher and had to leave because I was constantly in the hospital despite impeccable handwashing, so I was also incredulous. And then livid.

/r/waltdisneyworld has the good doctors, the ones that you want to get.

quote:

Covid causes weakened immune systems. There is now abundant evidence that it severely depletes a portion of the immune system to the point of drastically reducing it's function. We would have seen the worst surges in non-covid illnesses immediately after we relaxed restrictions, with it improving steadily in the three years since, instead of seeing severe illness now, if this was entirely or primarily because of immunity debt. We are past paying back that debt. These surges are because people are weakened from one or more recent bouts of covid and are much more susceptible to RSV/Influenza/TB (plus more covid) and lots of other communicable disease now.

quote:

Yeah, even Good Morning America of all places is talking about covid-related immune dysfunction now! Finally!!! I guess I shouldn't be surprised though—so many smart people STILL think covid is spread by droplets and that washing your hands is all you need to do to protect yourself. 😭

quote:

The concept of "immunity debt" is junk.

We don't have Tuberculosis debt, we don't have RSV debt, nor Flu debt, nor walking pneumonia debt.

We have tired and weakened immune systems from battling increasingly virulent strains of COVID one after another for nearly 4 years.

quote:

Last night at a holiday party multiple people were talking about how they ALL caught covid during trips to WDW over the past year. Like 5 separate people. I feel like infectious diseases are probably rampant at places like that, due to multiple compounding factors such as:
  • multiple confined indoor spaces
  • extremely close quarters with strangers
  • lack of proper airflow
  • excess humidity in which germs can live longer
  • high touch point areas like ride seats or queue railings
  • weakened immune systems due to travelling, long days, poor diets associated with theme park vacations
It’s a hot bed for disease and I would be VERY surprised if Disney haven’t already done multiple massive studies into this but don’t publish the results due to public perception. It wouldn’t stop me from visiting, it’d just make me take more precautions - vitamins, extra hygiene vigilance, maybe even a mask if I felt unsafe or at the very least just the expectation that I’ll get sick at some point and need to make preparations for that.

Disney adults are flanking DSA from the left. You love to see it, folks.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

(..)
Disney adults are flanking DSA from the left.
(..)

Tbf, it is a spacious location, with plenty of room to stretch.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Looking forward to this guy’s publication at The Atlantic and/or Cochrane.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Pingui posted:

An unsurprising finding, though it is "good" to see the data being explored. A brief note on the difference between persistent symptoms vs severe COVID, and why the latter is less of a factor than one might expect, it is worth noting the time frame only goes to 2021 and in the early stages of the pandemic hospitalizations costs were covered for all. As such - and to the extent that they per definition don't have long term symptoms - it is unsurprising that the effect is much smaller as it effectively amounts to being out of the job market for a time, but getting back while it was still booming.
"Association of Severe COVID-19 and Persistent COVID-19 Symptoms With Economic Hardship Among US Families"

News article on the matter:

it’s a good thing 98% of economic activity takes place within just 5% of families!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:canada: "AMA" in this case means "Alberta Medical Association".

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/alberta-wait-times-rise-health-care posted:

'As bad as we’ve seen it in 25 years': AMA president sounds alarm as Alberta hospital wait times rise
“We’ve never had that many in the Edmonton zone. We are literally activating the AHS disaster plan … we’re trying to get patients to next available beds," Parks said
(..)
Last Monday, in the Edmonton zone, Parks said there were 202 admitted very-sick patients with no hospital beds to go to, so they were stuck in emergency.

“We’ve never had that many in the Edmonton zone,” Parks said.

After mitigation, that number shrunk to 166 without beds, but that’s still alarming, he said.
(..)
In a couple of instances, there were beds listed as empty and available, but they couldn’t staff them, Parks said.

“If we don’t have the work force and the human beings to staff it, they’re really no good to us,” he said. “It’s really important to understand the reasons they can’t go up on the floors. In some hospitals they’re at 130 to 150 per cent capacity. That means if they’re staffed for 100 patients, they have 150 patients. They just can’t take any more.”

One weird trick to never reaching prior hospitalization highs.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
New adenodog just dropped:

https://www.gbnews.com/health/christmas-decorations-breathing-problems-warning posted:

Britons warned as Christmas decorations could cause difficulties breathing and fever symptoms

Pingui has issued a correction as of 13:08 on Dec 13, 2023

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

wait are they saying that it’s loving garlands and Christmas lights making people cough their organs out?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TehSaurus posted:

wait are they saying that it’s loving garlands and Christmas lights making people cough their organs out?

yes

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Pingui posted:

:canada: "AMA" in this case means "Alberta Medical Association".

One weird trick to never reaching prior hospitalization highs.

Pretty sure the gov't here in Alberta wants Health Care to struggle so they can privatize as much of it as possible (for their investors/bankrollers). Doctors and nurses are leaving in droves (why wouldn't they), so they might get their wish sooner than later.

Hmmm. Might be covid contributing to the full emerg depts in Edmonton.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
breaking public healthcare as an excuse to privatize it isn't an alberta thing, it's an "everywhere neoliberalism is the dominant ideology" thing. covid's been helping tremendously with that but it was already underway before the pandemic

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

breaking public healthcare as an excuse to privatize it isn't an alberta thing, it's an "everywhere neoliberalism is the dominant ideology" thing. covid's been helping tremendously with that but it was already underway before the pandemic

yeah, good point.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Pingui posted:

An unsurprising finding, though it is "good" to see the data being explored. A brief note on the difference between persistent symptoms vs severe COVID, and why the latter is less of a factor than one might expect, it is worth noting the time frame only goes to 2021 and in the early stages of the pandemic hospitalizations costs were covered for all. As such - and to the extent that they per definition don't have long term symptoms - it is unsurprising that the effect is much smaller as it effectively amounts to being out of the job market for a time, but getting back while it was still booming.
"Association of Severe COVID-19 and Persistent COVID-19 Symptoms With Economic Hardship Among US Families"

News article on the matter:

it’s depressingly obvious this would happen but still real disappointing to see it laid out so clearly.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

:japan:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20231213_32/

quote:

Injections of Japan's first domestically produced coronavirus vaccine began across the country this month.

The mRNA vaccine developed by major Japanese pharmaceutical firm Daiichi Sankyo was approved for use in Japan last month.

Japan's vaccination program had offered only products made by foreign firms, such as Pfizer or Moderna.

The Daiichi Sankyo vaccine is effective against the XBB subvariant of the coronavirus Omicron variant. It is given to people aged 12 and older who are receiving their third or later shots.

A Tokyo clinic began administering the vaccine on Wednesday to people who had made appointments.

It first briefed them on the vaccine's safety and efficacy.

A doctor at the clinic, Tabata Masahiko, said the vaccine's efficacy is about the same as others, but the fact that it's produced in Japan frees him from worrying about supply.

Vaccination is now available for free in Japan to anyone aged six months or older, in anticipation of a rise in coronavirus cases this winter.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I just can't keep on giving out good quality masks anymore. It's frustrating to have my stockpile dwindling down and I only see the folks I gave masks the next time we meet to just wear those lovely surgical masks (if they even wear one). I just can't afford it anymore with the prices on everything else going up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

NeonPunk posted:

I just can't keep on giving out good quality masks anymore. It's frustrating to have my stockpile dwindling down and I only see the folks I gave masks the next time we meet to just wear those lovely surgical masks (if they even wear one). I just can't afford it anymore with the prices on everything else going up.

this is loving maddening, yeah. If someone wants poo poo I hope they ask because I’m done offering. years of this poo poo

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why were you wasting your money in the first place on people who didn't even want them?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Because like a dum-dum I wanted the people around me to be safe and healthy.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You've heard the famous adage about horses and water?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Wastewater :denmark:

That first peak is the initial Omicron, the dotted line is when SSI (the Danish CDC) took over the monitoring.

Source data: https://www.ssi.dk/sygdomme-beredskab-og-forskning/sygdomsovervaagning/c/covid-19---spildevandsovervaagning

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:denmark: New weekly RSV hospitalizations by season:

Immunity debt status: Strong and increasing.

Source (official dashboard): https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/220fef27d07d438889d651cc2e00076c/page/RS-virus/

Edit: I don't know if this is interesting to the thread at large, but considering Denmark's level of surveillance comparatively, I figure some of you might appreciate it. So here is the latest aggregate respiratory infection summary from the Danish CDC:

https://www-ssi-dk.translate.goog/s...&_x_tr_pto=wapp posted:

Summary of respiratory tract infections 4.-10. December
  • The number of confirmed cases and hospitalizations with covid-19 has increased further, and the occurrence of SARS-CoV-2 in waste water is increasing sharply.
  • The number of pertussis cases remains at epidemic levels and there are no signs yet that the epidemic is abating.
  • The number of mycoplasma cases continues to increase and is at an epidemic level.
  • The number of RS virus cases is increasing significantly for the fifth week in a row, and the number of hospitalizations is also increasing, but less significantly than last week.
  • The number of flu cases has increased significantly, and there is also a significant increase in the number of hospitalizations.
  • Vaccination adherence for influenza and covid-19 is unchanged and around 75% among ≥ 65-year-olds and 85% among nursing home residents.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 16:04 on Dec 13, 2023

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Cup Runneth Over posted:

But you can't make it drink because it's coughing from immunity debt?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Cup Runneth Over posted:

with the current state of wastewater i think the horse might be right in this situation

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pingui posted:

Wastewater :denmark:

That's good, right?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

SplitSoul posted:

That's good, right?

Yes, we are rapidly approaching herd immunity levels of infection and by moving SARS-CoV-2 rapidly along the phylogenetic tree it becomes ever milder.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah. I have tried to be the water, the water’s hype man, a big flashing sign about the importance of hydration for horses, and all that remains in the minds of these absolute morons, I assume. if they ever realize they’re dying of thirst and not…

uh,

Christmas decorations?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Platystemon posted:

Looking forward to this guy’s publication at The Atlantic and/or Cochrane.

humanity was a mistake

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You can take a horse to water AND shove it in the drink?

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Platystemon posted:

According to the doctor at Disney’s urgent care, influenza is rampant at WDW right now. (self.WaltDisneyWorld)

/r/waltdisneyworld has the good doctors, the ones that you want to get.

Disney adults are flanking DSA from the left. You love to see it, folks.

paying $2k a night for a lightly themed hotel room to be sick in

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I talk to a lot of people across the states every day and apparently there's "something going around" but I'm told it's "just a bad cold", definitely not something to worry about.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Louisgod posted:

I talk to a lot of people across the states every day and apparently there's "something going around" but I'm told it's "just a bad cold", definitely not something to worry about.

that’s good to know :)

i was personally reassured every year before 2020 when it was just “bad colds” loving up our society and killing a bunch of our friends and family, on a 10 week cycle. this is very reassuring and not at all a terrifying possibility that makes covid seem like a bedtime story for children.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

kreeningsons posted:

sneaking away from the family holiday gathering with my Covid aware cousin to do a bump of carrageenan in the bathroom

the bathroom? that's where the plumes are!!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Louisgod posted:

It's just the quindemic and it is normal.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

friend of mine in NYC who is very scared of covid but follows zero news on it has typically been a good bellwether re: covid getting super bad

she messaged me yesterday and said "wow everyone in my office has covid. is it bad now?" lol

for ref she's masks well and hasn't gotten covid yet so she's doing good but just kinda funny how she interfaces with it

(e: and before anyone says she's gotten covid and hasn't told me, she's the type who tells me every time she has a sniffle and gets all bent out of shape about it, i tell her to test, she does, it's negative, she feels better 12 hours later. so i legit think she's covid free)

Soap Scum has issued a correction as of 18:38 on Dec 13, 2023

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
Doing great, thank you! :geert:

(wastewater data, mid-2020 to present)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal