Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Shooting Blanks posted:

One of the core purposes of a university president is to attract wealthy donors. Adversarial engagements like this aren't common whatsoever. It's still a massive oversight, don't get me wrong, but this falls pretty far outside of their normal responsibilities.

Edit: In case it wasn't clear, when I say attract wealthy donors - that includes Republicans/conservatives. University presidents are expected to learn how to get along with everyone during their attempt to gain patrons.

Even when a big donor is adversarial, these presidents are usually talking with them one-on-one or in closed door meetings and that's probably much and closer to a real conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

After the recent Senate announcements and court rulings, 2024 is going to be a bizzaro version 2012 where Democrats actually have better than even odds of taking the House, are almost certainly going to get destroyed in the Senate, and have a 50/50 shot at the Presidency.

The House used to be hopelessly tilted towards Republicans and was a major weak spot, but now the Senate and Presidency - where Dems historically overperformed - are looking worse than the House.

2024 Senate run was always going to be a tough year at best for D's. There are Sabato articles talking about it years ago as a near sure loser for D's almost no matter what. The electoral map this round is terrible.

And yeah even in good years the Senate will be difficult for D's because the Senate is structurally biased in favor of R's right now. Only hope to change that is to either make more states that will vote in D's or wait for more R's to die off in large numbers so D's have a shot at winning a few of the previously R states.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

TheDisreputableDog posted:

A mini-chud like Stefanik isn’t some rhetorical mastermind, she simply opened the curtain and the leaders exposed themselves.

It's impossible to tell when a fascist is actually offended because they never argue in good faith. They should have considered the implications of that when they abandoned their integrity in service of their reactionary nationalism. They don't deserve the same considerations as non-fascists because we should always assume they are lying. It's especially obvious in this context- none of these Republicans are actually offended by "from the river to the sea" and ceding any rhetorical ground to someone dedicated to destroying discourse itself is a huge error.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

2024 Senate run was always going to be a tough year at best for D's. There are Sabato articles talking about it years ago as a near sure loser for D's almost no matter what. The electoral map this round is terrible.

And yeah even in good years the Senate will be difficult for D's because the Senate is structurally biased in favor of R's right now. Only hope to change that is to either make more states that will vote in D's or wait for more R's to die off in large numbers so D's have a shot at winning a few of the previously R states.

That was very true, but 10 months is a long time and a hell of a lot of things can happen that could swing it towards the Democrats. More overreach on abortion (see that poor woman in Texas), Trump getting convicted. Trump voters staying home. The economy 'feels' better for more people. Lots can happen.

But you are right, structurally the senate favors the Republicans just due to the fact that so many states are empty compared to California and New York.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

This interpretation (and to an extent, the entire conversation) violates a basic tenet of progressive ideology: intent isn’t relevant, causing offense should be enough to warrant protective and corrective action.

Which progressive ideology is it violating a basic tenet of, exactly? Because it's not one I or anyone I know subscribe to, all of which value intent a good deal. Is it a college thing?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

GlyphGryph posted:

Which progressive ideology is it violating a basic tenet of, exactly? Because it's not one I or anyone I know subscribe to, all of which value intent a good deal. Is it a college thing?

ymmv on whether that's "a basic tenet of progressive ideology" but it's an uncharitable interpretation of the Robin DiAngelo school of DEI trainings

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

This interpretation (and to an extent, the entire conversation) violates a basic tenet of progressive ideology: intent isn’t relevant, causing offense should be enough to warrant protective and corrective action. Especially in academic circles, this has played out countless times over the past few decades - academic speakers are protested into silence, words are cherry-picked for potentially offensive speech, etc. Micro-aggressions are violence, silence is violence, but in this particular case, it’s vitally important to ascertain whether they meant “intifada” or “river to the sea” in the genocidal way, or not. It’s absurd.

A mini-chud like Stefanik isn’t some rhetorical mastermind, she simply opened the curtain and the leaders exposed themselves.

Apartheid states don't deserve the protections of civil society, and since freeing Palestine isn't genocidal it's pretty important to ascertain if someone's trying to use it with genocidal intent, much like it's important to determine if they're saying anything with such intent.

And, honestly, conservatives just can't cope with the fact that their speakers tend to be disgusting assholes who deserve to be shouted down.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

Kalit posted:

I’m a little confused by your previous post and this one. Was this restaurant specifically targeted for protesting because of the owner or was it protested because it happened to be one of the boycotted businesses along a pre-determined protest route?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/dec/08/michael-solomonov-philadelphia-restaurant-israel-antisemitic-protest

quote:

Since the 7 October attacks, Solomonov has publicly sought to caveat his support for Israel. “I personally believe in the right of Palestinians to have their own state, and the right for self-determination, and I don’t deny those things,” he said at an event last month in New Jersey, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. “And I believe the Israeli government oftentimes does things that I would not do at all … and it can be quite damaging.”

But internally, Solomonov and Cook were using their restaurants to steer resources toward Israel.

On 10 October, Solomonov and Cook announced a fundraiser that would donate all the profits across CookNSolo restaurants on 12 October to United Hatzalah. “It is not associated with any military,” the restaurant group assured staff in a Slack message – something that simply wasn’t true, workers soon realized with alarm.

Goldie staff were caught off guard because they considered the restaurant a politically progressive institution. The vegan falafel restaurant proudly displayed an LGBTQ flag and Black Lives Matter flag on its wall. Many of the workers were young and identified as queer. There was a casual dress code: Noah Wood, a 25-year-old who uses they/them pronouns, said they did shifts at Goldie while wearing hats with slogans supporting indigenous rights.

The night before CookNSolo’s fundraiser, Goldie’s store manager at the time, 24-year-old Sophie Hamilton, says she discovered public videos by United Hatzalah about how the non-profit supplied protective gear to IDF soldiers. She rushed off an email to Goldie’s general manager, Emma Richards, saying she felt “deeply betrayed and misled”. “I feel like I’ve been left with no choice but to refuse to come to work tomorrow unless [CookNSolo] commits to also raising donations for a Palestinian humanitarian organization, of course with no connection to any military.”

But Hamilton’s suggestion was ignored, and Richards simply told her someone would cover her shift the next day.

When Hamilton returned to work, she decided to keep working but while wearing a small Palestinian flag pin. “There’s just a point where you can’t leave your humanity at the door,” she said. No customers complained, but two weeks later, management announced a new rule: staff were not to wear stickers, pins, or patches that were not Goldie-branded.

Wood, the other server, started wearing a Palestinian flag pin in open defiance of the new rule. Another worker, June, 24, wore a green shirt, black pants, and a red bandana – a reference to the colors of Palestinian flag.

On 15 November, the restaurant asked Hamilton to send Wood home for violating the dress code. Hamilton refused, and the next day they were both fired, Hamilton for “poor performance for failing to enforce the uniform policy”. Wood was not given any official reason, they say.

In the Wednesday email to staff, the owners wrote: “We recognize that people have different views on the war between Israel and Hamas, and we respect your rights to your own views. Many of our guests have passionate feelings about the current conflict and, knowing that not all of you feel the same way, our approach is to simply avoid discussing politics at work.”

They did not provide details on the firings beyond writing: “It is also important for you to hear directly from us that we have never terminated employees based on their support for Palestine.”

The former. This was what started everything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This interpretation (and to an extent, the entire conversation) violates a basic tenet of progressive ideology: intent isn’t relevant, causing offense should be enough to warrant protective and corrective action. Especially in academic circles, this has played out countless times over the past few decades - academic speakers are protested into silence, words are cherry-picked for potentially offensive speech, etc. Micro-aggressions are violence, silence is violence, but in this particular case, it’s vitally important to ascertain whether they meant “intifada” or “river to the sea” in the genocidal way, or not. It’s absurd.

Can you give some examples, maybe following up on how their newfound silence equates to violence as you theorize? I'm not very familiar with academia.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

In Florida GOP news;

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/news/politics/2023/12/12/christian-ziegler-invokes-donald-trump-as-he-seeks-to-save-job/71884152007/

Bridget Ziegler (his wife) has been a very very lovely school board member in Sarasota county for a long time (who homeschooled and didn’t have kids in the public system). She’s a cofounder of Mom’s for Liberty.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

"Causing offense" by itself is not what warrants protective or corrective action to begin with. Plenty of majorities are offended by minorities existing. It's not 'progressive' to respect that. If someone thinks "black lives matter" is a statement of racial superiority, it would be absurd to respect that person's views.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

In Florida GOP news;

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/news/politics/2023/12/12/christian-ziegler-invokes-donald-trump-as-he-seeks-to-save-job/71884152007/

Bridget Ziegler (his wife) has been a very very lovely school board member in Sarasota county for a long time (who homeschooled and didn’t have kids in the public system). She’s a cofounder of Mom’s for Liberty.

Apparently that’s been fracturing moms for Liberty hard with chapters changing names and or breaking off because of it, probably hasn’t helped with them getting crushed this year. They won’t go away probably but I do the elections and this were a bad one two punch.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Thanks for the article. However, to the point of my question, it does clearly state that it wasn’t a preplanned target and just happened to be along the protest route:

quote:

On 3 December, the Free Palestine Coalition led hundreds of protesters in an evening of marches around Philadelphia to renew calls for a ceasefire. Starting from Rittenhouse Square in Philly’s Center City neighborhood, the march took a wrong turn, which brought it past Goldie, says Abulhawa. The encounter with the falafel restaurant wasn’t planned, she says, “but we ran with it”.

quote:

Some marchers have acknowledged how the clip, taken out of context, could have been misinterpreted. “I’d say in hindsight, maybe [the organizers] should have spent another minute explaining why we were stopping there,” says Joe Piette, a photographer who joined the protest. “It would have been better to explain some of the details of the owner of that restaurant. Our mistake was not explaining it on the spot.”

So with regards to my question, it seems unknown if they would have done this same thing at any of the other boycotted businesses if they had happened to be along the protest route.

I am kind of confused about the original claim about smashed windows in this post though:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, that feels dumb. I reminds me of those protesters who were protesting that falafle resturant in philly and then someone in the crowd smashed some windows. its like a random jewish resuraunt , its not helping glass gaza. Go protest shaprios or fettermans house or whatever. smashing some jewish owned resturant is a bad loving look. Like i agree with the anger but some of it is sadly misplaced or redirected by real stupid and lovely people.

That article doesn’t say anything about it and I can’t find anything about it with a quick google search. Unless Dapper_Swindler meant smashing windows elsewhere in that same protest

EVVVVVV: Ahh gotcha, thanks for the explanation

Kalit fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 13, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kalit posted:

Thanks for the article. However, to the point of my question, it does clearly state that it wasn’t a preplanned target and just happened to be along the protest route:

So with regards to my question, it seems unknown if they would have done this same thing at any of the other boycotted businesses had happened to be along the protest route.

I am kind of confused about the original claim about smashed windows in this post though:

That article doesn’t say anything about it and I can’t find anything about it with a quick google search. Unless Dapper_Swindler meant smashing windows elsewhere in that same protest

I heard it on the local news story from a week ago, so it’s probably bullshit. Sorry

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Shooting Blanks posted:

One of the core purposes of a university president is to attract wealthy donors. Adversarial engagements like this aren't common whatsoever. It's still a massive oversight, don't get me wrong, but this falls pretty far outside of their normal responsibilities.

Edit: In case it wasn't clear, when I say attract wealthy donors - that includes Republicans/conservatives. University presidents are expected to learn how to get along with everyone during their attempt to gain patrons.

I’m sure this wasn’t the first time they were put on the spot regarding their univrsity’s stance on antisemitism, they’ve probably fielded hundreds of inquiries from concerned (and possibly hostile) donors since 10/7. That they didn’t have a canned response ready to any gotcha-type questions boggles the mind.

I think they should all be fired, not for the alleged antisemitic practices, but for their disgraceful performances. How can you lead a top-tier academic institution after getting verbally obliterated by the female heir to Premium Plywood Products? If they had any shame, they would resign.

E:

Eric Cantonese posted:

Even when a big donor is adversarial, these presidents are usually talking with them one-on-one or in closed door meetings and that's probably much and closer to a real conversation.

The talking points they use would be the same, even if they’re delivered in a friendly manner. They fumbled this hearing real bad.

The Top G fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 13, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Can you give some examples, maybe following up on how their newfound silence equates to violence as you theorize? I'm not very familiar with academia.

I can only think of total freaks like that nazi guy who got kicked out of his gym, Charles Murray, Milo Yiannopolis, etc who come to universities specifically to cause problems and get the heckler’s veto in return. Academia is pretty conservative and pretty bourgeois as a rule—they’re all pals and don’t want to cause each other trouble outside of cases where somebody’s a sexual predator or faking data or stealing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

In Florida GOP news;

Let’s not bury the lede here.

The head of the Florida GOP is being accused of rape by a woman who had previously been involved in a bisexual threesome with him and his wife. Allegedly she met up with the husband and she was on drugs while he had non-consensual sex with her. There are also reports that he taped the whole thing and that the cops may have a copy of it now. DeSantis had asked Ziegler to resign from his job and he has refused.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The Top G posted:

I’m sure this wasn’t the first time they were put on the spot regarding their univrsity’s stance on antisemitism, they’ve probably fielded hundreds of inquiries from concerned (and possibly hostile) donors since 10/7. That they didn’t have a canned response ready to any gotcha-type questions boggles the mind.

I think they should all be fired, not for the alleged antisemitic practices, but for their disgraceful performances. How can you lead a top-tier academic institution after getting verbally obliterated by the female heir to Premium Plywood Products? If they had any shame, they would resign.

E:

The talking points they use would be the same, even if they’re delivered in a friendly manner. They fumbled this hearing real bad.

A university president is not a PR flack. Their job is not "talking points." It's embarrassing that they got publicly owned, and part of the job of a president is not embarrassing the university, but successfully answering gotcha questions to avoid bad soundbites in a Congressional hearing is not among the skills typically required for the job.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Let’s not bury the lede here.

The head of the Florida GOP is being accused of rape by a woman who had previously been involved in a bisexual threesome with him and his wife. Allegedly she met up with the husband and she was on drugs while he had non-consensual sex with her. There are also reports that he taped the whole thing and that the cops may have a copy of it now. DeSantis had asked Ziegler to resign from his job and he has refused.

The version I read about was that they had a threesome at some point and then the husband wanted another. The wife (Bridget Ziegler) didn't want to or couldn't be there (or the Christian Ziegler set up it up without her knowledge), so the husband went to the victims house, stalked her until she came outside to walk her dog, then basically forced/conned his way inside, leading to the SA.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/12/02/rape-accusation-florida-republican-party-chair-ziegler-00129753

Trigger warning for this quote for SA stuff. It's some gross, slimy poo poo.

quote:

On the day of the alleged assault, the woman had initially agreed to meet because she thought Bridget Ziegler would be joining them. She canceled when she learned Bridget Ziegler wouldn’t be there, saying she had only agreed to the encounter because she wanted her there.

Video surveillance footage, reviewed by police, showed that Ziegler went to her residence anyway. As she was exiting her apartment to walk her dog, the woman alleged that Ziegler entered her home and had sex with her without a condom. She told police she couldn’t consent because she had been drinking alcohol, as it was her day off work. Ziegler told her after the alleged assault that he would be “leaving the same way I came in.”

The woman called a relative to tell her she was raped and the relative confirmed to police that she was “very emotional and distraught.”

The search warrant affidavit revealed the victim received a rape kit from Sarasota Memorial Hospital after telling police on Oct. 4 that she had been raped two days earlier.

With police keeping track of messages, the woman began texting Ziegler over Instagram in late October, telling him she “wasn’t OK” with what he’d done and that she’d been unable to work. “You didn’t bring her and then you did that to me,” she wrote.

I have absolutely zero confidence in the Sarasota PD to do anything about this unless there's intense outside pressure. The entire county is a hotbed of boomer MAGA retirees. It's why they so intensely focused on New College.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Hunter Biden has appeared at the U.S. Capitol today after he was subpoenaed to have a private deposition with House Republicans for their impeachment inquiry.

However, he is partially defying the subpoena and insisting that he will only testify in public.

It's unclear what the House Republicans will do, but it seems likely they will not have the private deposition or a public hearing today and will instead attempt to hold him in contempt.

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1734948529913647513
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1734951081484878145

quote:

After weeks of back and forth and a threat to hold him in contempt of Congress, Hunter Biden briefly appeared in the Capitol complex on Wednesday, making a public statement outside the building instead of showing for his scheduled deposition following a subpoena from House Republicans.

Hunter Biden railed against an investigation from House Republicans, blasting the probe ahead of a vote to ignite an impeachment inquiry into his father.

He said he was at the Capitol to testify in a public setting — bucking investigators’ request for a closed-door deposition.

It’s a move that runs the risk Republicans will hold him in contempt of Congress — one that would add to the mounting legal trouble faced by the president’s son.

“There’s no evidence to support the allegations that my father was financially involved in my business, because it did not happen,” Hunter Biden told reporters, hitting a key aspect of the GOP inquiry.

The House Oversight Committee Chair James Comer (R-Ky.) and House Judiciary Committee Chair Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) had moved to compel Hunter Biden’s testimony as they push forward with an impeachment inquiry into his father, President Biden.

Hunter Biden’s appearance in the Capitol complex at all is a milestone in the long Republican scrutiny of his business activities and tumultuous personal life — and comes on the same day that Republicans are set to formally authorize their impeachment inquiry with a House vote.

Before Wednesday morning, lawmakers were not sure whether Biden would show up to the deposition. His lawyer, Abbe Lowell, had responded to the subpoena with an offer for Hunter Biden to appear before the Oversight panel in a public format, but not a closed-door deposition.

Lowell had charged that Republicans “use closed-door sessions to manipulate, even distort the facts and misinform the public,” and to previous public statements from Comer appearing to express support for seeing Biden in a public format.

Republicans dismissed the offer, threatening to hold Biden in contempt of Congress if he did not show up for the deposition.

Comer had offered a public hearing at a later date and said that he would release the transcript from the deposition, but argued that closed-door format with the committee methodically asking questions was necessary before bringing Biden before a public hearing — which would involve five-minute questioning time for members bouncing from Republicans to Democrats.

The House GOP’s multi-pronged impeachment probe is digging into hotly disputed allegations about whether President Biden improperly benefited from or used policy to benefit the foreign business dealings of family members, as well as allegations that the Department of Justice improperly slow-walked a tax crimes investigation into Hunter Biden. The president and the White House have repeatedly denied wrongdoing and said that Biden was not involved in his family’s business dealings.

The deposition also came at an inopportune time in Hunter Biden’s broader legal troubles, as he was indicted just last week on tax charges that are among the topics congressional investigators wish to discuss, alongside a now-evaporated plea deal that would have had him plead guilty to misdemeanor tax charges.

But any comments he makes in the deposition could be used against him in court – adding greater risk to a case where he already faces up to 17 years in prison.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Asylum officers are good, immigration judges under and hired by a D administration are good-ish, more border officers are... well, I'm open to persuasion but it seems like a tolerable trade.

In the quote he said he was willing to do change policy, not just hire folks. In light of the new details, would you still call this a tolerable trade, and is it what you expected?

CBS might have answered your question almost as soon as you asked it.

They say the White House has indicated that it would accept 2.5 out of the 4 extreme border demands Republicans have made with promises to never use some of the detention powers the law gives them (but, they would be ready and waiting for Trump if he became President or for any other future President).

Seems like a pretty bad deal, but we'll see what the specifics are and if Republicans and Senate Dems are on board with it.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1734679769155785071

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

"For six years, the unrelenting Trump machine has been asking: Where is Hunter Biden? This is Hunter Biden speaking. I am the man who loves his life..."

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

A university president is not a PR flack. Their job is not "talking points." It's embarrassing that they got publicly owned, and part of the job of a president is not embarrassing the university, but successfully answering gotcha questions to avoid bad soundbites in a Congressional hearing is not among the skills typically required for the job.

This. Each of those people should have met with a media relations expert prior to the hearing (and maybe they did!) to understand the dynamic of that specific meeting, but it falls pretty far outside of the norm. Going back a couple years, it reminds me of how much time Anthony Fauci spent on the news, and how garbled a lot of COVID messaging was because he clearly was not used to answering questions publicly in a clear and concise manner. Completely different subject matter of course, but there was a lot of very valid criticism about the messaging coming from the US government, especially in the early days of COVID.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

CBS might have answered your question almost as soon as you asked it.

They say the White House has indicated that it would accept 2.5 out of the 4 extreme border demands Republicans have made with promises to never use some of the detention powers the law gives them (but, they would be ready and waiting for Trump if he became President or for any other future President).

Seems like a pretty bad deal, but we'll see what the specifics are and if Republicans and Senate Dems are on board with it.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1734679769155785071

This feels like what CIA slush funds are for.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gort posted:

This feels like what CIA slush funds are for.

There is a CIA black budget, but it is only for covert operations and research. Ukraine is basically the opposite of a covert operation.

Also, most of the aid we are giving to Ukraine is not actually money - even though it says things like "$35 billion aid package" when describing them. Most of the aid is us selling at a discount, loaning, or donating older American munitions, vehicles, etc. The dollar value is just calculated based on GAO accounting to determine the relative cost of the item to procure for the U.S. government that is being "lost" as an asset on the balance sheet.

You can't just give away U.S. government assets that are accounted for via executive order. Even if you could, things like missiles, tanks, and other manufactured items would take a while to build and transport. That is why they give away existing stock that just has to be transported.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 13, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Not surprisingly, the House Oversight Committee will not take Hunter Biden up on his offer to testify publicly and are initiating proceedings to charge him with contempt of congress for defying the subpoena.

https://twitter.com/GOPoversight/status/1734979363261608303

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

It's impossible to tell when a fascist is actually offended because they never argue in good faith. They should have considered the implications of that when they abandoned their integrity in service of their reactionary nationalism. They don't deserve the same considerations as non-fascists because we should always assume they are lying. It's especially obvious in this context- none of these Republicans are actually offended by "from the river to the sea" and ceding any rhetorical ground to someone dedicated to destroying discourse itself is a huge error.

Then don't respond in good faith, answer the question that you want to be asked instead. You don't need to waffle on what the definition of genocide is.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Not surprisingly, the House Oversight Committee will not take Hunter Biden up on his offer to testify publicly and are initiating proceedings to charge him with contempt of congress for defying the subpoena.

https://twitter.com/GOPoversight/status/1734979363261608303

Cool, let's ask Mr Jordan what the penalty for contempt of congress is for defying a subpoena. How does he expect anyone to take this seriously?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

karthun posted:

Then don't respond in good faith, answer the question that you want to be asked instead. You don't need to waffle on what the definition of genocide is.

That also would have ended up being the wrong answer. I don't think someone can reasonably media coach themselves out of a kangaroo court. They shouldn't have agreed to the hearings but once in front of them even the perfect answers would have been turned into outrage by the right.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The goal of an answering better isn't to prevent right wing outrage, its to prevent it from getting traction with those who arent right wingers

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

The goal of an answering better isn't to prevent right wing outrage, its to prevent it from getting traction with those who arent right wingers

Yeah they basically answered the questions in a way that looks bad to anyone who isn't used to the sort of academic meandering answer they gave, which is to say, the vast majority of people.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Right, there's no combination of words that would get them that once they made the decision to walk into a sham.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gumball Gumption posted:

That also would have ended up being the wrong answer. I don't think someone can reasonably media coach themselves out of a kangaroo court. They shouldn't have agreed to the hearings but once in front of them even the perfect answers would have been turned into outrage by the right.

I think this is ultimately the answer to why the hearing was a shitshow; anyone smart enough to realize it was a trap, knew not to go.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

karthun posted:

Have you watched the footage? The deans attempted to do this, over and over. Stefanik would simply cut them off as soon as they started talking and start shouting at them, demanding they answer with only "Yes or No" and nothing else. This went on for five hours. Somebody was gonna slip up eventually. You can see in the footage that Magill, in particular, was really getting sick of it. She starts to show a bit of a contemptuous smirk, like "you loving idiot, i can't believe i have to take this poo poo seriously":

IMO that expression really helped do her in. She really hosed up with that. But I still feel that by focusing on Gay & Magill & co for not being clear enough, we're essentially letting Stefanik off the hook for intentionally baiting and harassing them until they fell into her trap, then twisting their words to fit her spin. We do this all too often with Republicans. We take it as unavoidable that all these assholes are gonna just be assholes, and instead of rightfully saying "Stefanik is a piece of poo poo for badgering them and twisting their words to justify an attack on higher education", we push the blame onto the left for not stopping them. And who benefits? Stefanik gets exactly what she wants, and the press doesn't call her out on her bad behavior, because we don't demand anything better from the right.

If we don't demand anything better from the right, as if we have accepted that this is just who they are and they'll never change, then what's even the point of class struggle?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

There is a CIA black budget, but it is only for covert operations and research. Ukraine is basically the opposite of a covert operation.

Also, most of the aid we are giving to Ukraine is not actually money - even though it says things like "$35 billion aid package" when describing them. Most of the aid is us selling at a discount, loaning, or donating older American munitions, vehicles, etc. The dollar value is just calculated based on GAO accounting to determine the relative cost of the item to procure for the U.S. government that is being "lost" as an asset on the balance sheet.

You can't just give away U.S. government assets that are accounted for via executive order. Even if you could, things like missiles, tanks, and other manufactured items would take a while to build and transport. That is why they give away existing stock that just has to be transported.

the dollar amount simply being an accounting convention led to the humorous episode of the pentagon realizing that they were double counting some "expenses" and over $6 billion in "funding" magically reappearing on the balance sheets

https://apnews.com/article/ukraine-russia-war-weapons-surplus-funding-72eeb6119439146f1939d5b1973a44ef

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Have there been any congressional hearings that weren't weird political theater though? I don't fault anybody for loving one of those up because even the best politicians who do this all the time get caught in a gaffe eventually, just kinda a lovely part of the system.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

WarpedLichen posted:

Have there been any congressional hearings that weren't weird political theater though? I don't fault anybody for loving one of those up because even the best politicians who do this all the time get caught in a gaffe eventually, just kinda a lovely part of the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKy7ljRr0AA

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

XboxPants posted:

We do this all too often with Republicans. We take it as unavoidable that all these assholes are gonna just be assholes, and instead of rightfully saying "Stefanik is a piece of poo poo for badgering them and twisting their words to justify an attack on higher education", we push the blame onto the left for not stopping them. And who benefits? Stefanik gets exactly what she wants, and the press doesn't call her out on her bad behavior, because we don't demand anything better from the right.

If we don't demand anything better from the right, as if we have accepted that this is just who they are and they'll never change, then what's even the point of class struggle?

The fundamental problem with debating with a fascist is that all too often a point is quickly reached where the only appropriate responses are to either walk away or break their nose. One of those responses is frowned upon in civil society and the other doesn't result in any camera footage.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

WarpedLichen posted:

The 9/11 Commission, Watergate hearings, Iran-Contra hearings, the financial crisis hearings in 2010, the McCarthy hearings, MLB doping hearings, the Church committee, the tobacco hearings in the 90's, the Whitewater hearings, the Jack Abramoff hearings, the GSA corruption hearings, the hearings into Secret Service conduct, and the music rating system hearings were all hearings that directly produced major changes in history or policy (for good and bad).

A very large percentage of political hearings are basically boring briefings on policy or political theater, though. They have 2-4 a week and there are probably 1 to 2 per year that anyone even remembers.

Edit:

This is a great example too.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The MLB steroid hearings were absolutely theater. It was just entertaining theater.