Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

DesperateDan posted:

naw it's the posh place I took my eldest to for a special treat/gender affirming haircare so the fifteen quid towards a cut isn't all that much off the total

credit where it's due, my genetic tendency towards "how loving much?" over the price was tempered entirely by how well it turned out/how much the kid liked it

awww this is really sweet! :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Honestly it feels like in terms of investment there's plenty of daylight between England and Scotland and then you don't see Wales or NI because they're both shivering in the dark.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/dec/13/felling-of-torquay-famous-palm-trees-pure-vandalism-say-residents

What is it with Tory councils and chopping down trees?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Find a steep enough incline and you can do it. In my youthful idiocy I learned how quickly running down a steep hill can increase your speed uncontrollably.

The fact I just ended up with my feet burning with friction was testament to how goddamn lucky I was not to trip.
Sonic the hedgehog-rear end origin story.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Guardian publishes a piece by a woman whose husband was killed by the Tories due to eat out to help out:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/dec/13/husband-trusted-rishi-sunak-eat-out-to-help-out

While she remains a Tory party member, she will now "hold her nose" and vote Labour or Lib Dem.

lol that it takes the Tories actually killing your husband to very very grudgingly not vote for them.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/TimSchofield2/status/1734862048499007529

Edit: This is apparently incorrect and a case of mistaken identity. See a few posts down. This person however is imprisoned on the barge

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 13, 2023

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol at having "absolute faith" in johnson's government

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. The whole thing is entirely pointless, but it would be nice if once in a while someone asked a simple blunt question instead using the question as a mini-speech.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Demonic country.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Just loving poo poo.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Apparently mistaken identity?

https://x.com/JacquiMckenzie6/status/1734896813700702435?s=20

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

^^^ Thanks for the clarification. I'll edit the post above

quote:

Support workers say that he was heard screaming & calling for help, so thought it was him who had died.

WTF?!?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nightmare future where being reported as screaming in terror aboard the torture ship is good news, as it means you're at least not dead.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh good he didn't di-- :staredog:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I had my very own Fawlty Towers moment when visiting Torquay for the first time to discover the “English Riviera” doesn’t even have a proper beach!!!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1734851296362983853

This is our opposition....

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hey, they just didn't say what they are opposed to.

It's humanity

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
I didn't see the wider interview, but this clip seems like her complaint is about "unprocessed" asylum seekers waiting around, unable to do anything other than cost money, which is a fair thing to be against

Being against Rwanda and the bibby boat and suggesting the solution to that is to process them faster is good, isn't it?

The bit about being potentially dangerous is unnecessary gammon flourish

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Nothing she says is technically incorrect and yes speeding up the process is good for everyone. But playing up the dangerous part is throwing asylum seekers under the bus for a political sound bite.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 13, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

She's saying some of the right things, but in ways that don't guarantee any improvements for the asylum seekers and are very open to interpretation.

I personally think Labour are just going to lift up the drawbridge further, and focus all their efforts on packing asylum seekers into cheaply run concentration camps rather than the hugely expensive Bibby Stockholm and the cheaper hotels, and I think they will speed up the time it takes to reject people.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tesseraction posted:

Oh good he didn't di-- :staredog:

Honestly it's not long ago I posted an article "third suicide in a detention centre in few weeks" from late 2010s.

The only reason anyone cares is because of the stupid barge being involved.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
get hosed, thangy debbs

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Here's the graphic that Labour MPs were posting yesterday:

More police, followed by clearing the backlog using a new 'Returns Unit' which I'm sure isn't going to be solely focussed on just sending them all back. Then it's new agreements and money to create camps in France to stop people coming here in the first place... and I'm not sure what they mean or what they plan to do for the last two points, but resettlement doesn't imply British citizenship.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
doesn't feel like it will fit on a mug very easily

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tackle humanitarian crises at their source but not with ceasefires.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

and I'm not sure what they mean or what they plan to do for the last two points, but resettlement doesn't imply British citizenship.
They absolutely will not do the last two, as soon as a very swollen man on question time uses the words 'forrin aid' Ken will start backpedalling faster than the cyclist he [the remainder of this post removed by MI5 gang]

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Nuclear Spoon posted:

doesn't feel like it will fit on a mug very easily

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
do you think yvette cooper reads this thread

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Noice, can I get it on some kind of obelisk too?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was going to suggest going the extremely tall fish hat route.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Nuclear Spoon posted:

do you think yvette cooper reads this thread

do you think yvette cooper posts among us?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
just the equalities minister writing to peoples' employers to say that some research they did about racism existing in the 17th century 'undermines social cohesion'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/13/badenoch-condemns-london-plague-study-after-mp-calls-it-woke-archaeology

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

domhal posted:

but it would be nice if once in a while someone asked a simple blunt question instead using the question as a mini-speech.

I don't think it would, because direct questions don't get answers - it happens all the time in interviews. Direct, repeated, rephrased questions all get dodged.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

mrpwase posted:

do you think yvette cooper posts among us?

Don't doxx me.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

woke archaeology lol, loving kill me now

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Words ha conain he eers L, G, B, T, or Q are woke.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

fuctifino posted:

This is our opposition.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Apraxin posted:

just the equalities minister writing to peoples' employers to say that some research they did about racism existing in the 17th century 'undermines social cohesion'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/13/badenoch-condemns-london-plague-study-after-mp-calls-it-woke-archaeology

please keep your woke archaeology buried, thank you very much—we're trying to run the country expend all our energy on a doomed attempt to to make international fools of ourselves (even more)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Apraxin posted:

Back in April, the Women & Equalities committee urged Badenoch to seriously investigate the role that structural racism in modern-day UK healthcare plays when it comes to the fact that black people are still four times more likely to die in childbirth in this country

so definitely reassuring to see that she's instead running up headlines about how black plague victims in the 14th century didn't face discrimination (or maybe just that they didn't exist?) and how minority ethnic communities just need 'reassurance' to shake off their silly conspiracy theories