Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

jaete posted:

Here's some random guy also saying that drones have already become a big deal especially on the Russian side (short thread):
https://twitter.com/Mylovanov/status/1734328740610511296

I seem to remember that that lad is a Russian mouthpiece, he's been linked before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

jaete posted:

"In priority frontline sectors, we have the following ratio: one of our drones to five or seven enemy drones", says some Ukrainian army guy

This seems pretty concerning - even if Ukraine gets more aid etc, how would they attack into such a mass of drones? Maybe just have to... go around? As I understand it anti-drone tech isn't exactly great yet on either side, so not sure if a remedy even exists.

Here's some random guy also saying that drones have already become a big deal especially on the Russian side (short thread):
https://twitter.com/Mylovanov/status/1734328740610511296
'Reporting from Ukraine' (the youtube guy who posts short daily updates and who I'm pretty sure has been accepted as a reliable source by this thread) posted a few days ago that RU forces were sending only a very few drones in recon missions because the recon units don't have many left and once they're gone, the units will be forced to conduct recon patrols, which no-one on the RU side wants to do.

I can't remember exactly the date, but it was in the last week I'm pretty sure.

Of course that was recon drones. I'm not sure what the Shaheed and loitering munition situation is like.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Russia is rapidly scaling up drone production, several giant factories going up at this very moment, while established production lines are already cranking up consistent numbers. The drone pilot course is being rolled into 10th grade curriculum to prepare kids for the neverending war. Similar to what's going on in Ukraine atm

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Someone asked earlier for a brief summary of the three-part "Russia Contingency" podcast. I'll continue to recommend subscribing--even if only for a month--as the conversation goes into a lot of interesting details, but here are the salient points which have stuck with me a week after listening:
  • 155mm ammunition remains the most important thing the West can supply to Ukraine. Our collective inability to meaningfully increase production after almost 2 years of war is concerning in terms of our ability to handle future conflicts.
  • FPV (First Person View) drones are as significant a "new thing" now as quadcopters were in 2022. They are not a replacement for traditional munitions (e.g. guided 155mm/152mm artillery shells), and in fact are often used precisely because those traditional munitions are in short supply. Ynglaur's commentary: Think of them as non-line-of-sight guided anti-personnel and anti-armor weapons. The 1960s introduced direct-fire Anti-Tank Guided MIssiles (ATGMs); the 2020s introduced non-line-of-sight ATGMs. We just call them "drones."
  • "Stalemate" is a lousy term because it's inaccurate. It implies "no valid moves left", which is not the case. Territory--that is, geography--does not change hands rapidly, but forces on both sides are constantly active, constantly affecting each other very directly, and constantly inflicting large numbers of casualties.
  • Man-portable electronic warfare (EW) is now A Thing. Individual vehicles now have EW capabilities to fend off drones. Some FPVs are beginning to get terminal guidance capabilities, though: get within 100-200m of the target, and the drone attacks from there based on the sight picture. These individual and vehicle EW packages typically provide a dome of protection of a few hundred meters at most. Ynglaur's commentary: This could--or should--have major implications on the power requirements for military vehicles. It also entails trade-offs: if you're blasting EW everywhere, you're broadcasting your location. EW systems are getting less expensive. More Ynglaurian commentary: This is actually a huge change. Contrast with the 1980s when a Soviet Combined Arms Army had a single EW battalion. We're now talking about individual vehicles and squads being able to jam communications in small areas.
  • 2024 is going to be very hard for Ukraine, and may not see any major offensive action by Ukraine.
  • The war is likely to go until 2025...at least. Nobody said the word "2026" or a later year, but they practically hung in the air.
  • No, Russia is not running out of manpower anytime soon.
  • The practical impact of F-16s remains to be seen. Watch in particular: do they meaningfully reduce the effectiveness of Ka-52s?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Bremen posted:

I'm particularly amused because before this war everyone was terrified of Russian cyberwarfare and talking about how it could be used to paralyze their opponents. That's aged about as well as the talk about Russia having the second strongest army in the world.

Let's not write it off completely. They've nuked the telcom systems in Ukraine multiple times, including at the launch of the invasion. This absolutely broke down communications at a critical time and lead to advantages for the Russian military. They've recently taken down the mobile networks as well, although wired lines are still working. Ukrainian military and civilian resistance is absolutely dependent to some extent on the mobile networks.

One thing I haven't read about is their hacking leading to actual physical destructions (e.g., Stuxnet), but I doubt that info would be released publicly anyway. Most everything I have read about was eventually resolved by sending someone into the raptor paddock to manually reboot the system.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

ummel posted:

One thing I haven't read about is their hacking leading to actual physical destructions (e.g., Stuxnet), but I doubt that info would be released publicly anyway. Most everything I have read about was eventually resolved by sending someone into the raptor paddock to manually reboot the system.

Wasn't that only possible because it targeted centrifuge control systems? I imagine most computers are not embedded in giant spinning robots.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

ummel posted:

Let's not write it off completely. They've nuked the telcom systems in Ukraine multiple times, including at the launch of the invasion. This absolutely broke down communications at a critical time and lead to advantages for the Russian military. They've recently taken down the mobile networks as well, although wired lines are still working. Ukrainian military and civilian resistance is absolutely dependent to some extent on the mobile networks.

This is part of why Starlink has been so useful to Ukraine - it's a telecoms infrastructure ran out of the US (so much harder to infiltrate) with it's infrastructure based in space (so impossible to destroy without escalating massively). Even if it's not everywhere, the mere existence of a backup/alternative option reduces the impact of Russian attacks.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Russia caused several major infrastructure failures in 2021, but by the time of the re-invasion in February 2022 they had both hardened existing infrastructure and migrated a lot of their critical systems to Azure and AWS, which made it much harder cripple Ukraine because if something got breached (and it did), Ukraine could just destroy the running instances of whatever, re-hydrate from backups, and rotate all access keys.

Russia has, apparently, penetrated a few of Ukraine's command and control apps a few times, but it's architected in such a way that people in the field (whose devices were compromised) can't see much beyond their immediate needs, so the damage of such breaches tends to be local.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nitrox posted:

Russia is rapidly scaling up drone production, several giant factories going up at this very moment, while established production lines are already cranking up consistent numbers. The drone pilot course is being rolled into 10th grade curriculum to prepare kids for the neverending war. Similar to what's going on in Ukraine atm

All those old people saying that playing video games wouldn't amount to anything were wrong. They just didn't know that real lives would be at stake.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fuschia tude posted:

Wasn't that only possible because it targeted centrifuge control systems? I imagine most computers are not embedded in giant spinning robots.

But enough are embedded in very important physical systems. One of the persistent (albeit apparently not as realistic now?) concerns in the US is local infrastructure organizations IT being poorly run because no one has had a reason to care all that much, until someone points out a drinking water treatment plant with remote access open to the Internet. "OOPS all chlorine" and so forth. There's a LOT of industrial control software with relatively poor (or completely absent!) security, that an attacker could pivot to.

Stuxnet was actually rather unique in a few ways. The facility was air gapped, so the virus was meant to reproduce into local removable media without attempting to activate. Once within the facility and active, the virus hosed with the centrifuges just enough to block progress, without making it clear that there was something wrong with the control systems. It had to be perfect at deployment because there was no second chance, and there was no real guarantee it would run.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

In reality, nothing impactful happened

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Cross posting:

https://twitter.com/cvetko35/status/1734625122529550455

There have apparently been several rallies like this, with women marching and demanding an end to the war which is devouring their sons and husbands and fathers.

Dont bring obvious Russian-biased trash here

Just Another Lurker posted:

I seem to remember that that lad is a Russian mouthpiece, he's been linked before.

Nope, President of Kyiv School of Economics and a guy in Andriy Yermak orbit is not a Russian mouthpiece. I recall him having some terrible takes (fitting for a guy who failed as minister of economy) and being another dumb twitter guy in general. Don't see anything scandalous with the linked thread but I'd rather read experts on the topic who can properly evaluate based on sources (though ramped up drone supply on Russian side has been reported in many places).

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 13, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Nope, President of Kyiv School of Economics and a guy in Andriy Yermak orbit is not a Russian mouthpiece. I recall him having some terrible takes (fitting for a guy who failed as minister of economy) and being another dumb twitter guy in general. Don't see anything scandalous with the linked thread but I'd rather read experts on the topic who can properly evaluate based on sources (though ramped up drone supply on Russian side has been reported in many places).

Apologies, i wasn't able to tell the difference with that man. :kiddo:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Once within the facility and active, the virus hosed with the centrifuges just enough

Something needs to be made clear here. To do this they had to model the systems of facility completely and accurately enough to be able to fake normal conditions while they were trashing the centrifuges.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Something needs to be made clear here. To do this they had to model the systems of facility completely and accurately enough to be able to fake normal conditions while they were trashing the centrifuges.

Yeah, the whole thing was exceptionally impressive from both a technical and a practical standpoint, and I encourage anyone who hasn't read about it to do so, it's absolutely fascinating.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, the whole thing was exceptionally impressive from both a technical and a practical standpoint, and I encourage anyone who hasn't read about it to do so, it's absolutely fascinating.

yeah, truly incredible stuff

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've seen this video posted recently, and even if you ignore commentary, text on screen and whatever explanation given, the footage itself speaks volumes of yet another despicable poo poo that's happening on the ground in the trenches. It shows what appears to be Russian soldiers, using unarmed people as literal human shields. I don't have link to unedited footage, sorry about Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0zhYViidCE/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

IK NOTE: :nms:, combat footage

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 14, 2023

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

• 2024 is going to be very hard for Ukraine, and may not see any major offensive action by Ukraine.

Why would that be the case? Now that Prigozhin is gone Russia seems even less able or interested in changing failing tactics. A big reason why there hasn't many major offensive actions by Ukraine is because it's easier to pick off Russia's waves of poorly organized troops with cheap drones.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SaTaMaS posted:

Why would that be the case? Now that Prigozhin is gone Russia seems even less able or interested in changing failing tactics. A big reason why there hasn't many major offensive actions by Ukraine is because it's easier to pick off Russia's waves of poorly organized troops with cheap drones.

How do you come to these conclusions, if I may ask? I don't think that cheap drones are a replacement to hundreds of thousands of 155mm artillery shells that Ukraine needs.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
87% of Russian prewar ground forces have been destroyed along with 2/3rds of their tanks.
https://twitter.com/PigLazer/status/1734999179334705295?s=20

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

NMS tag that stuff.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Charlz Guybon posted:

87% of Russian prewar ground forces have been destroyed along with 2/3rds of their tanks.

Don't think that most people would have predicted that russia, the nation where their big thing was being the "look at how immense and inexhaustible our army is, look at all our tanks etc" big boy on the block, was going to grind the whole thing to dust in prolonged unwinnable warfare with, of all countries, Ukraine

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Nenonen posted:

How do you come to these conclusions, if I may ask? I don't think that cheap drones are a replacement to hundreds of thousands of 155mm artillery shells that Ukraine needs.

From the latest news?
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-december-12-2023

Certainly Ukraine is going to need to take more risks if they want to gain ground, but they have managed to devastate the Russian military with a more risk-averse approach, Ukraine is better at defending against Russian drones than Russia is at defending against Ukrainian drones, and there's no reason to think Ukraine can't sit back and defend against waves of lower and lower capability troops until Russia is finally exhausted, and that could take most of 2024 .

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

SaTaMaS posted:

From the latest news?
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-december-12-2023

Certainly Ukraine is going to need to take more risks if they want to gain ground, but they have managed to devastate the Russian military with a more risk-averse approach, Ukraine is better at defending against Russian drones than Russia is at defending against Ukrainian drones, and there's no reason to think Ukraine can't sit back and defend against waves of lower and lower capability troops until Russia is finally exhausted, and that could take most of 2024 .

I think you are underestimating how badly Ukraine's offensive potential has been degraded, and what it takes to engage in offensive operations at operational scales. I also think you're underestimatimg how much Russia can regenerate combat power. Russia is dramatically out producing Europe when it comes to artillery ammunition, and Ukraine when it comes to FPVs.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

I think you are underestimating how badly Ukraine's offensive potential has been degraded, and what it takes to engage in offensive operations at operational scales. I also think you're underestimatimg how much Russia can regenerate combat power. Russia is dramatically out producing Europe when it comes to artillery ammunition, and Ukraine when it comes to FPVs.

Russia's tactics are so bad that it doesn't seem to matter.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It seems to matter to the Ukrainian soldiers and the families who mourn them?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

SaTaMaS posted:

their offensive tactics leave something to be desired, but their "lay multiple km-deep minefields and park artillery behind them" tactics are pretty effective

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

SaTaMaS posted:

That's wild since they control half of Ukraine and there's no indication Ukraine had any ability to change that.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

their offensive tactics leave something to be desired, but their "lay multiple km-deep minefields and park artillery behind them" tactics are pretty effective

Russia could adopt a defensive posture and do very well tactically but they seem determined to send waves of poorly trained troops at Ukrainian defenses for minimal gains, so why not let them keep doing that until they physically can't, and then resume the offensive.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

SaTaMaS posted:

Russia could adopt a defensive posture and do very well tactically but they seem determined to send waves of poorly trained troops at Ukrainian defenses for minimal gains, so why not let them keep doing that until they physically can't, and then resume the offensive.

Because the casualty ratios aren't as good as you think they are to suggest this is viable in the long term.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

SaTaMaS posted:

Tactics are the least important aspect of war

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Staluigi posted:

Don't think that most people would have predicted that russia, the nation where their big thing was being the "look at how immense and inexhaustible our army is, look at all our tanks etc" big boy on the block, was going to grind the whole thing to dust in prolonged unwinnable warfare with, of all countries, Ukraine

this report is almost certainly bullshit.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Charlz Guybon posted:

"Lost" is carrying a lot of meanings there.

I am finding it hard to be optimistic for Ukraine these days given how political developments in the US are affecting funding for Ukraine.

punishedkissinger posted:

That's wild since they control half of Ukraine and there's no indication Ukraine had any ability to change that.

Not that it's a happy number and it could change over time, but I thought it was closer to 20%.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 14, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeC posted:

Because the casualty ratios aren't as good as you think they are to suggest this is viable in the long term.

Also Ukraine can't afford to "wait russia out". A large amount of their labour force is fighting and dying on the fronts, a lot of their most productive lands are being occupied, and their economy is on a war footing and really just keeping together from aid. Like they've achieved some amazing victories against russia, but to keep going how they currently are relies on a lot of outside aid. Russia army may be garbage and what not, but they still have a pretty good manufacturing sector and can unfortunately still make a lot of dumb munitions. Still have a lot of people they can recruit into the army which may, and probably will gently caress them over quite a bit in the long term, but putin seems very unconcerned about long term thinking so that's whatever as far as this war goes.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

How many consecutive months (years?) of reports claiming Russia is on the verge of collapse can you read before you start to get suspicious?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

How many consecutive months (years?) of reports claiming Russia is on the verge of collapse can you read before you start to get suspicious?

Has there ever actually been a report that Russia "is on the verge of collapse"?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Charliegrs posted:

Has there ever actually been a report that Russia "is on the verge of collapse"?

I suppose a lot of excitement from non-serious people were getting carried away with how much better Ukraine has fared than anyone thought it could back in 2022. It's hard for people in the west to appreciate fully how much it would take to displace a leader like Putin, however. Russia is sustaining casualties and material losses that would lead to a lot of electoral misfortunes in Western Europe and the US.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Charliegrs posted:

Plenty if you Google just that. Plenty of speculatory pieces but also some around the Wagner mutiny that seemed legitimate. Here's one where a Kremlin spokesman said they were on the brink of economic collapse.

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-economy-collapse-putin-moscow-gdp-outlook-ukraine-war-sanctions-2023-11

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also on "was there reporting on russia may collapse", at one point the head of wagner was marching towards Moscow, which was like at that point people speculating a bit seems... fair, as like WTF. But before that there was a lot of speculation about how much the oligarchs would take when they had assets being sized and the russian economy maybe collapsing- and what not. Which was less realistic as, well putins pretty good at getting rid of anyone he thinks could challenge him in anyway, but yeah there was still a lot of speculation.

And yeah this was from some vaguely serious sources to laughable, will say what ever sources.

Also another one just putin being on the verge of death is another one that keeps coming up.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Fair points, but do you realize that the only thing keeping Putin alive is drinking and bathing in horse cum? Did you know Russia actually has to import horse cum because all domestically produced horse cum is embezzled away by the oligarchs for personal consumption? The sanctions are actually a real risk to Putin.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nervous posted:

Plenty if you Google just that. Plenty of speculatory pieces but also some around the Wagner mutiny that seemed legitimate. Here's one where a Kremlin spokesman said they were on the brink of economic collapse.

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-economy-collapse-putin-moscow-gdp-outlook-ukraine-war-sanctions-2023-11

Hmm so it seems like it's been 1 consecutive month of predictions of collapse.