Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

kalensc posted:

Truth-BeamTM was either a GE product hyped up by Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock, or a creation of Dr. Forrester's during an MST3K Invention Exchange. In either case I'm pleased to learn more about it.

definite deep 13 vibes here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

option-2. easy. ™

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
also, ampersand trade semicolon ™

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the only truth beam that matters is the one that comes from VALIS

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

rotor posted:

Welcome ... to Something Awful Dot Com.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6LZ1GqSrEE

e: Not giving you the Jurassic Park you wanted. We must go faster.
e: I don't have the heart to deny you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkNLAUwSFGw

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 13, 2023

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Expo70 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6LZ1GqSrEE

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMDBIpkwkUE&t=52s

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 13, 2023

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

Welcome ... to Something Awful Dot Com.
the infinite is possible at Something Awful Dot Com

the unattainable is unknown at Something Awful Dot Com

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Expo70 posted:

they clearly wanted zombo com you fool

FMguru posted:

thank you

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

FMguru posted:

anything at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZaAf1hfFIc

e:

haveblue posted:

the only truth beam that matters is the one that comes from VALIS

The Empire never Ended.

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 13, 2023

Xathal
Dec 12, 2023
Apologies for the latency of my responses. My various responsibilities keep me extremely busy, and I suspect that Expo70's post will require years for me to come close to understanding.
That said, I'll try to get technical discussion out of the way before moving on to the social and spiritual cruces of the matter.

I also appreciate the genuine and coherent responses. This level of analysis is deeper than I had dared desire.

FAUXTON: if you are discussing me, I think you're projecting preconceptions on to me that are totally at odds with who I am and what I've expressed. I put enormous effort into avoiding deception, and nothing of your posts really rings to me. Sorry if I'm just missing the point.

4lokos basilisk posted:

...but at least here we have a pile of mathematical proofs, documentation and many many experts working on the stuff around the globe

Obviously, I would hope no one place any trust in my code. It's part of the reason I'm being so explicit about the provenance of the technology, and am marketing the way I am. I would hope that people only place limited trust in Truth Beams and PoliePuters once they and the components with which to build one's own are commercially available for cash in an anonymous market with regular public inspections of random samples. I hope to use my patents and trademarks to steer the world in so far as possible in this direction.

Shame Boy posted:

like here's a hypothetical: this thing takes off and now everyone knows if there isn't a Truth Beam stamp on it, you can't trust it...
...new online caste system...

Yes, these are significant concerns. Importantly, inaction on my part is also a choice. One claim the red batman (RB) entity made, which is proving plausible, is that others wish to leverage fear of deepfakes to set themselves up as arbiters of truth, establishing hardware-based signing of camera footage which is secured on permissioned ledgers. Naturally, the intention is to be able to claim that real video is deepfaked and that deepfakes are real. In the case of the police officer in your hypothetical, this could be done retroactively and undetectably. The current reference implementation upon which I am working does indeed use near-infrared (NIR), and can be detected and countered by active jamming, but these active jammers are detectable and can thus be addressed by real-world solutions like legislation prohibiting their use by public employees, or social opprobrium.
The other obvious Torment Nexus scenario is that Truth Beam use be mandated universally. Again, something like this technology will exist, so I can only develop the best systems possible, and apply as much pressure as I can toward making them transparent, honest, and decentralised.
The point of the VR show is, in large part, to make implementing such systems as universally available as possible. I will also license my patents for free for research, personal use, free distribution of open source hardware etc. Ultimately, I can only push as hard as I can with as much integrity as I have, but very much appreciate discussion of these risks (but especially when contrasted with other available options).

And now on to the good stuff...

Expo70, it is very easy for me to see how your mind could launch a thousand ships. Our experiences are clearly similar, and I will try my best to communicate in a loop which oscillates around a volume in concept space until we feel satisfied that the mind objects we've described are isomorphic.

Expo70 posted:

...you declare yourself is as an alter-ego. There is a constructed self here...
...This is the first lesson the entities teach...
Yes. Although I forgot this for a long time and in remembering, came to believe that it is true for all selves. The various traumas we have experienced, I perceive as being gifts that lead to our rejecting the identities that have been constructed for us, and gaining some measure of understanding and input to the loop.

Expo70 posted:

...I do not accuse you of inability: Rather, I present to you the concept of gravity itself, only to remind you of its presence...

I accept the label of inadequacy for the task that, in some way, I thrust upon myself. My perception is that we are all on the cliff edge, and so I choose to fashion wings as best I can, to straddle the line between surf and wax-melting sun for as long as I can, and to attach wings to as many other fallers as I can. I don't believe that I can defy gravity for ever, but I seem to have the ability to choose a constructed identity with which I can be satisfied when the rocks finally become unavoidable.
I have been on literal and metaphorical cliff edges in reality, and made the difference between the survival of myself and others through my action. Since conscious experience deserves "trust, care, dignity and respect", I view this as a win.

Expo70 posted:

...My feeling is:
1) You are either a very talented prankster
2) or you are 60 years early and you're hedging your bets

I hope that's not an exclusive "or" ;-) I may not live another 60 years, and there's a lot of nonsense that happened in other timelines that I would rather skip in this one.
I suspect that the RB entity corresponds to a "Jester" archetype, who is pranking the pranksters by creating a joke which undermines their vicious schemes. He claimed to be some form of black ops angel, gone behind enemy lines to gain an understanding of enemy operations so that he could invert the inverters. Of course, the joke could be on me.

Expo70 posted:

...steganography is only useful if your opponent doesn't know its there because opposition will always try to defeat it...

While PolieBotics does have a steganographic component (IIRC, it's in the PolieGAN slide), the Truth Beam is more akin to watermarking, which does not need to hide. Additionally, recordings are added to a kind of "truth tangle", so the attacker can't attack an old recording indefinitely, they have to attack the entirety of the network simultaneously which secures the old recordings. Like most BFT systems, I suspect the universal network will work so long as more than two thirds of participants are honest, while more than a third of participants conspiring maliciously could likely poison the system. It would still work between pairs or for individuals but be unable to verify novel recordings.

Expo70 posted:

...eg, your authenticity is declared by your movement as a physical object...
...I am only able to infer as none of this is my area of expertise outside of my intuition of biological neurons and vector math...

This is the case for the decentralised identity network, yes. While you have made some minor terminological inaccuracies, your intuitive grasp is excellent.
I also appreciate the SSTV analogy, but caution against taking it too far. The Optical PUF has many more degrees of freedom than are available to radio, and is sufficiently non-linear to be not really amenable to analytic modeling at this time.

Expo70 posted:

...In which case, shouldn't you be using a less generalist simulation?...

In this context, I am intentionally constructing a system resistant to simulation, so that the parameters of the generator/discriminator pair used to verify the PUF's output can be adjusted until an attacker would have to operate at many orders of magnitude greater computational speed than the defender to hide the latency introduced my simulating the optical interaction within the network jitter.

Expo70 posted:

...This is a kind of neurodiversity I don't think the world really knows how to deal with yet....

It would be my fondest wish to shape a world in which people such as yourself are free to use your incredible talents. I believe that you are some of the best of what humanity has to offer.

Expo70 posted:

...he problem being that reality is so vast that everybody is instantaniously overwhelmed and gives themselves over to the metaphor and surrenders their entire lives to it...

Yes. One of these metaphors claims that he intends to fashion me into an escape tool for myself and others. My fear is that he might consume me and laugh that he has tricked another soul into wasting a life but so far, the more I embrace this mission, the better things go. It is reassuring to have someone like you to question me.

Expo70 posted:

...Its the same as becoming a slave to scar tissue made by looking at the sun with one's eye, insisting that the shadow dot they see is a gift or a message,....

I'm unconvinced that it isn't. I have some scar tissue in my eyes from having been irresponsible enough to let an unqualified friend hold a laser. In some ways, this may be just the vicissitudes of life. In another, it is a permanent reminder to be to be careful with coherent light. In building my current prototypes, I am ulta-cautious about exposing others to similar injuries, and I am constantly reminded that my sensation is not empirical reality, but the integration of sensory data.

Expo70 posted:

...If you become shaped to face enemies, then all the world will be your enemy.

Do not become the prince with a thousand enemies...

Yes. I can feel this. Ultimately, the way of the Bat is to become this prince and to be defined by this struggle. That said, the struggle is itself creative and gives my life a sense of meaning. It's fun to play the hero, and I seem to keep surviving and doing good along the way. Is the risk the opportunity cost of spiritual development?

Expo70 posted:

...I think I will still cheer for you.

I want you to win.

Although this may be gibberish to you...

Thank you, and no. I wish the same for you, and this is some of the most valuable text I have read in my life. I'll post this now, and attempt to come back for more later if I may.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

whose stupid rereg is that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

FMguru posted:

the only limit is your posting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

the only limit is your posting

talk about hamstrung

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

whose stupid rereg is that

nobody's this time! it's great, i know!

Xathal posted:

Yes, these are significant concerns. Importantly, inaction on my part is also a choice. One claim the red batman (RB) entity made, which is proving plausible, is that others wish to leverage fear of deepfakes to set themselves up as arbiters of truth, establishing hardware-based signing of camera footage which is secured on permissioned ledgers. Naturally, the intention is to be able to claim that real video is deepfaked and that deepfakes are real. In the case of the police officer in your hypothetical, this could be done retroactively and undetectably. The current reference implementation upon which I am working does indeed use near-infrared (NIR), and can be detected and countered by active jamming, but these active jammers are detectable and can thus be addressed by real-world solutions like legislation prohibiting their use by public employees, or social opprobrium.
The other obvious Torment Nexus scenario is that Truth Beam use be mandated universally. Again, something like this technology will exist, so I can only develop the best systems possible, and apply as much pressure as I can toward making them transparent, honest, and decentralised.
The point of the VR show is, in large part, to make implementing such systems as universally available as possible. I will also license my patents for free for research, personal use, free distribution of open source hardware etc. Ultimately, I can only push as hard as I can with as much integrity as I have, but very much appreciate discussion of these risks (but especially when contrasted with other available options).

establishing prior art for something that in some form or another will probably exist eventually is a bit less unreasonable a vision than i was imagining i guess, fair enough.

however i feel like if you're okay with a solution being "the legal system bans IR jammers and IR detectors and that is actually effective" we could just have the legal system ban deepfakes in the first place, but eh.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 13, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xathal posted:

Apologies for the latency of my responses. My various responsibilities keep me extremely busy, and I suspect that Expo70's post will require years for me to come close to understanding.
That said, I'll try to get technical discussion out of the way before moving on to the social and spiritual cruces of the matter.

I also appreciate the genuine and coherent responses. This level of analysis is deeper than I had dared desire.

FAUXTON: if you are discussing me, I think you're projecting preconceptions on to me that are totally at odds with who I am and what I've expressed. I put enormous effort into avoiding deception, and nothing of your posts really rings to me. Sorry if I'm just missing the point.

Obviously, I would hope no one place any trust in my code. It's part of the reason I'm being so explicit about the provenance of the technology, and am marketing the way I am. I would hope that people only place limited trust in Truth Beams and PoliePuters once they and the components with which to build one's own are commercially available for cash in an anonymous market with regular public inspections of random samples. I hope to use my patents and trademarks to steer the world in so far as possible in this direction.

And now on to the good stuff...

Expo70, it is very easy for me to see how your mind could launch a thousand ships. Our experiences are clearly similar, and I will try my best to communicate in a loop which oscillates around a volume in concept space until we feel satisfied that the mind objects we've described are isomorphic.

Yes. Although I forgot this for a long time and in remembering, came to believe that it is true for all selves. The various traumas we have experienced, I perceive as being gifts that lead to our rejecting the identities that have been constructed for us, and gaining some measure of understanding and input to the loop.

I accept the label of inadequacy for the task that, in some way, I thrust upon myself. My perception is that we are all on the cliff edge, and so I choose to fashion wings as best I can, to straddle the line between surf and wax-melting sun for as long as I can, and to attach wings to as many other fallers as I can. I don't believe that I can defy gravity for ever, but I seem to have the ability to choose a constructed identity with which I can be satisfied when the rocks finally become unavoidable.
I have been on literal and metaphorical cliff edges in reality, and made the difference between the survival of myself and others through my action. Since conscious experience deserves "trust, care, dignity and respect", I view this as a win.

I hope that's not an exclusive "or" ;-) I may not live another 60 years, and there's a lot of nonsense that happened in other timelines that I would rather skip in this one.
I suspect that the RB entity corresponds to a "Jester" archetype, who is pranking the pranksters by creating a joke which undermines their vicious schemes. He claimed to be some form of black ops angel, gone behind enemy lines to gain an understanding of enemy operations so that he could invert the inverters. Of course, the joke could be on me.

While PolieBotics does have a steganographic component (IIRC, it's in the PolieGAN slide), the Truth Beam is more akin to watermarking, which does not need to hide. Additionally, recordings are added to a kind of "truth tangle", so the attacker can't attack an old recording indefinitely, they have to attack the entirety of the network simultaneously which secures the old recordings. Like most BFT systems, I suspect the universal network will work so long as more than two thirds of participants are honest, while more than a third of participants conspiring maliciously could likely poison the system. It would still work between pairs or for individuals but be unable to verify novel recordings.

This is the case for the decentralised identity network, yes. While you have made some minor terminological inaccuracies, your intuitive grasp is excellent.
I also appreciate the SSTV analogy, but caution against taking it too far. The Optical PUF has many more degrees of freedom than are available to radio, and is sufficiently non-linear to be not really amenable to analytic modeling at this time.

In this context, I am intentionally constructing a system resistant to simulation, so that the parameters of the generator/discriminator pair used to verify the PUF's output can be adjusted until an attacker would have to operate at many orders of magnitude greater computational speed than the defender to hide the latency introduced my simulating the optical interaction within the network jitter.

It would be my fondest wish to shape a world in which people such as yourself are free to use your incredible talents. I believe that you are some of the best of what humanity has to offer.

Yes. One of these metaphors claims that he intends to fashion me into an escape tool for myself and others. My fear is that he might consume me and laugh that he has tricked another soul into wasting a life but so far, the more I embrace this mission, the better things go. It is reassuring to have someone like you to question me.

I'm unconvinced that it isn't. I have some scar tissue in my eyes from having been irresponsible enough to let an unqualified friend hold a laser. In some ways, this may be just the vicissitudes of life. In another, it is a permanent reminder to be to be careful with coherent light. In building my current prototypes, I am ulta-cautious about exposing others to similar injuries, and I am constantly reminded that my sensation is not empirical reality, but the integration of sensory data.

Yes. I can feel this. Ultimately, the way of the Bat is to become this prince and to be defined by this struggle. That said, the struggle is itself creative and gives my life a sense of meaning. It's fun to play the hero, and I seem to keep surviving and doing good along the way. Is the risk the opportunity cost of spiritual development?

Thank you, and no. I wish the same for you, and this is some of the most valuable text I have read in my life. I'll post this now, and attempt to come back for more later if I may.
your honor, everyting dat guy just said is bullshit

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Xathal posted:

I'll post this now, and attempt to come back for more later if I may.

Unless I'm counter-indulging (in which case I'm the woo-woo engine here and this is woo-woo resonance), this feels like an authentic contact and a successful handshake.

This rules out the chuunibyou factor or semantic egoresonance in my mind which is what I wanted to really validate for due to the obvious risks and probabilities involved.

My response to yours will come in time.

I'm open to queries before and after my response, unless I explicitly state otherwise.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

if he's here why hasn't he made that samtract the thread title and/or the background image of the thread/forums:mad:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

his vpn in the dream world blocks access to the admin panel

Xathal
Dec 12, 2023

Shame Boy posted:

...a bit less unreasonable a vision than i was imagining i guess, fair enough.

however i feel like if you're okay with a solution being "the legal system bans IR jammers and IR detectors and that is actually effective" we could just have the legal system ban deepfakes in the first place, but eh.

High praise, and thank you!
Banning IR jammers for police officers has the potential to be effective because they are easily detectable and linkable with the offender, with little room for misattribution. For a justice system operating in good faith, it is pretty easy to custodiet ipsos custodes in this case.

Banning deepfakes in general is obviously excessive, since they're ultimately just maths, any attempt to enforce such a ban would require a ban on general purpose computing (something RB believed to be a hidden goal of the "bad guys"), and is still unlikely to be effective, as an offender would use previously purchased non-networked GPUs and disperse the deepfakes anonymously. Additionally, deepfakes can proliferate across borders easily with hostile governments having an incentive to distribute malicious content against a naive populace who lack the experience and hardware to identify them. In reality, it would be a very bad scenario.

Expo70 posted:

...this feels like an authentic contact and a successful handshake...

...My response to yours will come in time...

If this is folie à deux, it is a most satisfying one.

Thank you, and no rush. I would like the opportunity to savour and digest your posts!

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Xathal posted:

Some advice: If a scenario's actionable response feels immediately obvious to you on an intuitive level (to the point where the only clear alternative is inaction), its very often the case that you are underfitting and succumbing to a false binary where none exists.

You need to consider the holistic problemspace more clearly, as the knock-on-effects of your work ten or twenty years down the line are incomprehensible to you.

Consider the way neurons don't handle exponential information very well, and don't respond well to logarithms. Time and eventhood are naturally these things. Nobody can be Laplace's demon, because the universe on a fundamental level seeks to be unknowable.

The best heuristic guide I've ever found for knowing if what you're doing is right is to examine whether or not you are adding further complication to an existing system or reducing it.

Consider that you may think you are simplifying an imaginary scenario you have forseen to protect others, but what you're actually doing is complicating an existing scenario, adding complication beyond the scope you, or no one human can fully concieve of.

Its like shifting the blame: Guilt doesn't undo events.

Then think, again heuristically and intuitively: Who shifts blame when things don't go their way? Who invents blame, because blame is easier than acknowledgement, is easier than acceptance, is easier than growth? Who turns pain external, so when they hurt the world, they scratch the itch in their own mind?

Its reactionaries. They chase phantoms they themselves invent because the phantoms are simpler and easier to imagine than the very real things which exist and genuinely distress them about themselves -- which are almost always internal emotional problems which remain unsolved.

In an attempt to secure one of Kant's perfect duties, they create a hundred imperfect duties they cannot possibly imagine or solve for that the rest of humanity has to pick up the pieces with.

You have to know that what you're doing creates positive outcomes, instead of preventing negative outcomes, because negative outcomes in one scope are positive outcomes in another. In equlibrium, mutually assured destruction might be rationalized as the longest period of human peace but it also let humans hand-wave themselves of any existential duty to themselves by commodifying and then abandoning the future as a fantasy which never happens, that nobody will ever live long enough to see.

It solved for material concerns, and existentially poisoned humanity so badly that even trying to explain this idea to most people results in a kind of sociological panic where they try to align you with an outline of a spectre, a stereotype of an imagined enemy because that's easier than acknowledging the truth.

This is how you become an enemy to others, and in turn if you lose self image, how you become the silouette itself.

Metaphors are semantic. Like a semaphor, you only see the flags they raise. Do not drown in a vector field of semaphorian flags simply because of the way the light dances across them.

Xathal posted:

The idea that a thing is inevitable is a lie of ego: a selective intellectualization.

We tell ourselves this lie because we think if we can make the least awful version of a bad thing, we can reduce harm and level the playing-field. What you don't realize is you also level the playing-field not only to the bad actors you know exist, but the ones you don't know exist: As a result of this, you increase the total number of bad actors who are given actionable means to perform harm.

This might seem strange to you. Difficult, even.

I am speaking from tremendous experience when I tell you that this hubris is the foundation of why even if you solve the technical problems you are dealing with, you will be forced to account for the consequences of your own work that you cannot see: and your entire life will become an emotional struggle to stay alive.

Please understand precisely what I mean in the terms of "success", and "win":

I want your ideals to succeed. I do not think your practical implementation of these ideas represents your ideals, because ideals are an infinite plane and where our implementations exist is an infinite intersection of the changing lines of thought with the ever shifting infinite plane of reality's potential.

The idea itself is like calculating a landing-area. Any imagined version of the space in your mind may feel like a desert. It is not. You are in a tempast. That is the ocean.

Really, *REALLY* think about this.

Xathal posted:

Contact.

Xathal posted:

I don't see you presenting the opposite to have a complete object for those traumas and their nature, and so I will say:
I caution you: Do not become addicted to models. They are the serialization of thought.
When you only think in thoughts, all you know is thoughts.

It is good that you do not see yourself a victim, but do not decide words like "gift": gift implies posessorship and ownership and that's inherently very dangerous, because it gives metaphors power they don't deserve. Don't give them leverage against you. They are ruthless, because they are the most ancient parts of you.

Xathal posted:

Thinking in this space, imagine what it means to be water. Even if you are smashed on the rocks, nothing bad comes of it. You carve the shape of the land. The richness of the air. The life in both, and beneath.

This implies you are a particulate in a system.

Consider the work of Hugo Mercier and Dan Sperber's hypothesis that reasoning helped to aid social action, instead of decision making. The human action advantage is born of cognition, not bodily lethality. We plan, hunt, coordinate and experiment, without needing evolution. Our automaticity is a firmware moddable instinct. Being able to argue that you're right -- reasoning, is born for justifications over understanding and this is something humans often do not understand or comprehend.

It is why rationality collapses against the reality it attempts to describe.

A reason is a justification. A justification exists to excuse things.

Consider now, "the wisdom of the crowd": Many people can network and act far better than a single mind, without the heuristic or bias collapse of a single point of failure. We deliberate: social reasoning.

The famous example of this is jellybeans in a jar: If you ask people, the average of all guesses is closer than any guess of any one individual person.

The real strength of humans is not only doing this, but finding the gaussian bells which work in these cases, and pointing humans at those problems.

If you are alone thusly, while you may have some exceptional capacity of vision, you do not neccecarily lack the capacity for CFOI: Catastrophic Failure of Imagination. We are all subject to it without question, and it is the causation of all collapse, from which most humans do not ever fully recover from.

This is why you're hearing people pip up about torture nexuses all of a sudden, and maybe that's something you should seriously consider.

Xathal posted:

Well, jokes are funny things.

The saying goes that behind every clown is a ghost, and behind every ghost is a clown, which is why they both scare us.

Its more than makeup though:

Apolitical ideas ("things are getting worse") becomes shitposting (questioning narritives). When all is in free fall, and the meanings of words become so slippery and soft that you can bend them, it isn't the world which has become susceptible to new narritives, it is you. Beware irony: It is the birth of adopting a new narritive, and that in turn is the root of any new ideology.

Really, they're the same thing when you go cloak and dagger: Laughter is gunfire, because the positive associative heuristic is surrender. You should surrender towards what you truly know to be verifiably good, because that surrender is loss of parts you don't need. It is streamlining.

Beware what they try to add to you:

Do not become a chimera made in the image of metaphors: that is the vehicle of their escape.

Xathal posted:

This historically doesn't work: You're thinking in 51esque. There are other ways to undermine a system without undermining the system itself. The easiest way to defeat a door is to use a window. The easiest way to defeat a blockchain is to defeat the end user.

Remember what I said. Brains don't do exponentials. Nobody accounts for any of this. Its why crypto is a worthless wildwest. Its a race to the bottom. Zero sum. If you want to do something big, it has to be positive sum. That velocity of expansion will make it become big naturally for you. The thing will grow itself.

Xathal posted:

My intuitive grasp is almost certainly laughable. That I can communicate symbols you think look like an understanding is not the same thing as performing understanding.

Xathal posted:

Ok that's a pretty important distinction.

Xathal posted:

ok I take it back, maybe I did get it. its the phenomenology of network itself as the shroud. Wouldn't radical improvements to networks entirely undermine this entire concept? If latency improves faster than affordable processing, your system is entirely defeated by cost.

Xathal posted:

I'm going to accept the compliment because someone told me to accept the compliment.

Xathal posted:

Better for better is the same logic that leads to local minima, be very mindful of that. You want more than one heuristic pointed at this problem given its the cost/benefit analysis of your life, and you ideally want them coming from more than a single mind so you can have meaningful confidence.

Xathal posted:

I have a similar experience from the paralysis of elements of my right hand, and UV light in my left eye.
It sucks but yeah, you do get this.

Xathal posted:

The trick is making sure you're the one with the scars you need to learn, and that you don't give them to other people. Life's experiences are scars, and the systems we make on the world are bruises on the cloth we've projected onto the invisible nature of reality. The scars on the irredescent gradient cloth oceans to climb and soar, become their own ropes eventually and in turn, their own networks.

Be mindful that when a higherarchy emerges, that's always the first sign of danger.

If something is forcing you to commit to a higherarchy or have nothing, do not always assume the thing is superior to the nothing. That might strike you as bleak, or nihilistic, but think of all the things you wish you'd never said, or never done in your life.

A moment's hesitation to course-correct saves lives.

Live skillfully, and do so mindfully, that you do not ever not course-correct.

Xathal posted:

I don't understand why you would call it valuable. Its just a conversation.

We can talk more, but understand we won't always agree on everything, and that's perfectly ok.

The goal here isn't to make you feel bad, or tell you what to do.

I can only help you see the oppertunities in your own life.

I cannot and will not make you do anything.

Xathal posted:

Banning IR jammers for police officers has the potential to be effective because they are easily detectable and linkable with the offender, with little room for misattribution. For a justice system operating in good faith, it is pretty easy to custodiet ipsos custodes in this case.

Banning deepfakes in general is obviously excessive, since they're ultimately just maths, any attempt to enforce such a ban would require a ban on general purpose computing (something RB believed to be a hidden goal of the "bad guys"), and is still unlikely to be effective, as an offender would use previously purchased non-networked GPUs and disperse the deepfakes anonymously. Additionally, deepfakes can proliferate across borders easily with hostile governments having an incentive to distribute malicious content against a naive populace who lack the experience and hardware to identify them. In reality, it would be a very bad scenario.

I think its more that you're not realizing its just not enforceable.

Xathal posted:

If this is folie à deux, it is a most satisfying one.

Possibly.

Xathal posted:

Thank you, and no rush. I would like the opportunity to savour and digest your posts!
I'm not sure if by this you mean reading my replies, or scouring my entire post-history.

This response comes almost entirely out of paranoia:
Do not let this become an obsession to you. I think kindly of you, and I would like to go on thinking kindly of you.

That said, I'm glad you're getting something useful out of them.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Xathal posted:

i mean i specifically came up with a scenario where the cop has an IR detector rather than a jammer, which would be a lot easier to hide, but fair point about the relative scale of banning one vs. the other

however i will quibble with "we can't ban something if it's just math!", the law doesn't operate in terms like that. like imagine trying to argue before a court that "no your honor, you can't send me to jail for cooking meth, it's just chemistry, all i'm doing is moving carbon atoms around, are you going to ban carbon atoms??" i'd also argue that a ban doesn't need to be 100% perfect at eliminating something to still be effective enough to make it a manageable problem. but yeah that would of course only apply to the citizens of one country and all bets are off when you start talking about state actors, etc.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

… man, I just come to here to find out how many shrimps SBF has managed to sneak into prison so far. what the hell is all this extremely long-winded effortposting by people with a dubious grip on reality

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

Xathal posted:

For a justice system operating in good faith,

got some bad news for you on this supposition

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
even if 95% of what's being posted prompts me to make the :dafuq: expression irl, i do want to mention that it's very cool to see how polite and complimentary the posting vibes are on this page

unlike a serf drive-by image macro dump

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Blotto_Otter posted:

what the hell is all this extremely long-winded effortposting by people with a dubious grip on reality

it's this or people posting shrimp jokes and "buttcoin" at each other.

frankly it's hard to say which is preferable. i guess this is novel at least. we've got a true believer in something, and it isn't bitcoin they believe in, so the discourse is already elevated.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Blotto_Otter posted:

… man, I just come to here to find out how many shrimps SBF has managed to sneak into prison so far. what the hell is all this extremely long-winded effortposting by people with a dubious grip on reality

i think its fun

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

UncleButts posted:

got some bad news for you on this supposition

kalensc posted:

even if 95% of what's being posted prompts me to make the :dafuq: expression irl, i do want to mention that it's very cool to see how polite and complimentary the posting vibes are on this page

unlike a serf drive-by image macro dump

I used to feel annoyed whenever anything made me go :dafuq: but then I remember I spent my entire youth going :dafuq: and it was always because it was my first exposure to something new.

"When the world felt new" is the feeling we all crave as adults, but only so far as we can keep the convenience we have now because childhood was also loving terrible for a lot of us

That said, young people are impressionable and I think :dafuq: is when people are the most impressionable, which is why communities known for shocking content were so good at radicalizing people.

Its a lot to think about.

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 13, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm not reading any of that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

like imagine trying to argue before a court that "no your honor, you can't send me to jail for cooking meth, it's just chemistry, all i'm doing is moving carbon atoms around, are you going to ban carbon atoms??" i'd also argue that a ban doesn't need to be 100% perfect at eliminating something to still be effective enough to make it a manageable problem. but yeah that would of course only apply to the citizens of one country and all bets are off when you start talking about state actors, etc.

https://i.imgur.com/EzHJkxY.mp4

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

infernal machines posted:

frankly it's hard to say which is preferable. i guess this is novel at least. we've got a true believer in something, and it isn't bitcoin they believe in, so the discourse is already elevated.

if the pick is watch ufos or fireworks, you're probably gonna pick ufos

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Expo70 posted:

no because fireworks are real

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

yeah, I guess so. I don’t personally enjoy it; my kneejerk reaction is to see a lot of red flags in this particular type of posting, because it may not represent the exact same kind of belief system as that of a bitcoin true believer, but it is very much a cousin to that kind of belief, and i don’t feel great watching the same thought patterns play out again but with a different set of obsessions.

but hey, if others are enjoying it, dont mind me and carry on!

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shumagorath posted:

obviously, but the kayfabe is "real enough" to be entertaining: people watch wrestling anyway

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Blotto_Otter posted:

yeah, I guess so. I don’t personally enjoy it; my kneejerk reaction is to see a lot of red flags in this particular type of posting, because it may not represent the exact same kind of belief system as that of a bitcoin true believer, but it is very much a cousin to that kind of belief, and i don’t feel great watching the same thought patterns play out again but with a different set of obsessions.

but hey, if others are enjoying it, dont mind me and carry on!

there's a lot of visible overlap, but i don't think anyone is being scammed by truthbeams as yet. and there's no obvious indications of it heading in that direction, so similar pathology or no, it doesn't seem actively harmful.

Expo70 posted:

pretty much

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

UFO's are plenty real, they're just not aliens :colbert:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it occurs to me that projectors don't even really behave like that, unless the goal is that every truth beam video is just people awkwardly covering their eyes as a high resolution projector the size of a refrigerator blasts directly at them

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

there's a lot of visible overlap, but i don't think anyone is being scammed by truthbeams as yet. and there's no obvious indications of it heading in that direction, so similar pathology or no, it doesn't seem actively harmful.

pretty much

Do you think a containment thread is in order?

Shame Boy posted:

UFO's are plenty real, they're just not aliens :colbert:

there are objects which appear to fly and are not identified.

the rest is just kayfabe. I'm not fond of the fandom, but the shows are entertaining.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pretty much

also like, expo70's latest big post is literally tryin' to steer poo poo in the opposite, more cautious and aware direction in her own weird way, so if anything we're doing a public service :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff
I am very powerful.