Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Send Green Bay vs New England there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Miami, but about 5-10% higher humidity. Neat.

11 degrees difference is a lot of degrees lol. Average Heat Index in September: Rio 80, Miami 106.

e: that's heat index using the average daily high w/ average humidity but you get my point. A game in Brazil is just not that insane, especially if you schedule it for a September/October evening

Dutchy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 13, 2023

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I have a hard time watching 3 games in a day.

https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1735026473386270934?t=QRzWEN10OgbNC0965ZRtNg&s=19

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Yeah those early slots kick off at 7:30 my time and I’m not waking up to watch football that early every week, even for a team I like.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I will watch the Ravens at any hour baby

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

AndrewP posted:

I will watch the Ravens at any hour baby

Same, but I don't really want to. Sunday, Monday, Thursday is more than enough. All these end of year Saturday games suck.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/camijustice/status/1735028408856265007?t=ZQrP-K_4Z-BI-osAzpzNRA&s=19

At least 9 or 10 of these were starters at some point for the Browns (depending on if you count a returner as a starter).

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

i watched korean baseball during covid i'll sure as hell watch nfl football at 7:30 am

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Is Stefanski really about to silence my poo poo talk? Impressive they've got a winning record with that many dead

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

early morning sports kick rear end. i'll watch f1 and football at the same time lfg

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Woozie66 posted:

https://twitter.com/camijustice/status/1735028408856265007?t=ZQrP-K_4Z-BI-osAzpzNRA&s=19

At least 9 or 10 of these were starters at some point for the Browns (depending on if you count a returner as a starter).

I’ve been noting these in the AFCN thread but you could make a playoff caliber team out of the Browns IR:

Browns out-for-season injuries:
WR/KR Jakeem Grant
QB Deshaun Watson
RB Nick Chubb
RT1 Jack Conklin
RT2 Dawand Jones
LB Jacob Phillips
S Rodney McLeod
LT1 Jed Wills
G Drew Forbes
DT Maurice Hurst
S Grant Delpit (IR, possibly whole season)
DE Ogbo Okoronkwo

Currently, but should be back at some point. Maybe.
CB Denzel Ward
S Juan Thornhill
C Ethan Pocic
DT Jordan Elliott
RB Jerome Ford

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Same, but I don't really want to. Sunday, Monday, Thursday is more than enough. All these end of year Saturday games suck.

Disagree, I love Saturday football and I'm sure as gently caress not gonna watch college no matter how hard they try to convince me that what they're doing could be called football

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

kidcoelacanth posted:

early morning sports kick rear end. i'll watch f1 and football at the same time lfg

Agreed, rolling out of bed and watching a football game with a morning cup of coffee owns

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Black Lighter posted:

Agreed, rolling out of bed and watching a football game with a morning cup of coffee owns

word. also some weed makes it nice even when your team is bad!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think I'm in the minority but that I love football spread out over the week. If they could do it with actual proper rest I'd take a game every night of the week.

do I need to get a life? maybe!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1734688890299056137?s=19

Banning split zone would destroy some offenses

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
hip drops look like every other tackle ever made how the hell do they ban those?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hip drop tackles are so hard to enforce. They've cracked down on it in the rugby league out here and ita been a nightmare for them to police.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Let's give refs more poo poo they can gently caress up

Good job NFL

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Why would they ban it? Split block is just the tight end coming across to hit the backside defender, right? Is that really much different than a guard pulling to kick out a defender who momentarily thinks he's unblocked?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

AndrewP posted:

what a grim choice to have to make

I mean Pickett has less TD's in his career than Justin fields has this year. Fields is head and shoulders better.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Black Lighter posted:

West coast best coast

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Fields really seems like he has potential, and I think he could be legit good if he weren't on the one of two teams where quarterbacks go to die.

If you want to imagine what it would be like if the Bears drafted Lamar Jackson, I think the Justin Fields experience is it. Best thing for him is the Bears deciding to ruin Caleb and Fields going to a team where he might have a chance under a decent coach, like the Raiders or the Browns or the Giants or, if the Bears feel frisky enough to trade in-division, the Vikings.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I can't think of any instances off the top of my head where the shove has resulted in an injury.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Anderson Koopa posted:

Umm, are they aware of the temperature in Brazil during the summer? They'd have to play early in the morning or in a dome for it to be feasible I'd think.

this doesn't seem noticeably different than a September/October Miami game. I’m going to assume that I'm the first one to make this observation and not read any of the following posts until I've sent this reply.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I was wrong and I apologize

e: what were the ratings like for the super early games this season?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I can't think of any instances off the top of my head where the shove has resulted in an injury.

I think CJ Beathard hosed up his wrist or shoulder the previous week. I thought there was one more injury as well lately.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

is the shove any more or less dangerous than a normal qb sneak

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

No, the only thing they should do with the QB sneak / shove plays is call forward progress immediately when the QB is stopped.

Either you get it on the initial push or you didn't, play over.

jaadee
May 3, 2013
There was a lot of back-and-forth on hip drop tackles a couple weeks ago and it seemed like folks thought a hip drop tackle was simply tackling from behind and using one's bodyweight to drag an opposing player down, as opposed to tackling from behind and wrapping the legs or otherwise impeding an opposing player's ability to keep their legs moving.

There's an essential component to a tackle that makes it a hip drop tackle, and that is dropping one's body directly onto the opposing player's legs (this almost always happens from behind). This is also what makes the hip drop tackle dangerous. Check out this video for examples of what is and is not a hip drop tackle, at least on a rugby pitch.

I would not claim that it's easy to categorize every single tackle as either hip drop or not nor would I claim that leg injuries don't happen during standard tackles. There are always edge cases, but the ones that are no-brainer hip drops are also the ones that have the highest chance of causing injury. It would be nice to eliminate those at least.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

jaadee posted:

There was a lot of back-and-forth on hip drop tackles a couple weeks ago and it seemed like folks thought a hip drop tackle was simply tackling from behind and using one's bodyweight to drag an opposing player down, as opposed to tackling from behind and wrapping the legs or otherwise impeding an opposing player's ability to keep their legs moving.

There's an essential component to a tackle that makes it a hip drop tackle, and that is dropping one's body directly onto the opposing player's legs (this almost always happens from behind). This is also what makes the hip drop tackle dangerous. Check out this video for examples of what is and is not a hip drop tackle, at least on a rugby pitch.

I would not claim that it's easy to categorize every single tackle as either hip drop or not nor would I claim that leg injuries don't happen during standard tackles. There are always edge cases, but the ones that are no-brainer hip drops are also the ones that have the highest chance of causing injury. It would be nice to eliminate those at least.

I can't wait for what's certain to be the very even-handed application of this judgement call

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Kalli posted:

No, the only thing they should do with the QB sneak / shove plays is call forward progress immediately when the QB is stopped.

Either you get it on the initial push or you didn't, play over.

fully agreed

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

SKULL.GIF posted:

Amount of hurt feelings is through the roof

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

i did like saturday games back when i was living in england cause it was a night game that i could stay up for. that 2008 ravens game against the cowboys was actually one of those lol

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

now i work from home and am back stateside and no longer care that much about when games end. although that will end in like 10-20 years when i get too old to bother staying up till midnight

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

in 20 years they'll be playing football on the moon

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Get on mountain time’s level imo. Optimal sports watching window

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Agreed, although I suppose that if you live out of your team's market it's probably one of the easier ways to catch your team playing

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

this league is dumb as gently caress if they ban the qb shove over health and safety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Saturday games rule because I get to watch NFL during the New Zealand weekend. I'm going to spend this Sunday afternoon in an American bar watching Broncos v Lions live and getting drunk with my Pats fan mate.

Normally I can only see games live if a) I take leave, or b) I'm watching games at work when I shouldn't be. :D