Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

repiv posted:

yeah

aside from that i got into the beta and bounced off it quickly because the flow of the matches was so poorly tuned, with enormous amounts of downtime, no idea if the public version has improved there

IMO the flow of the matches in The Finals is really good on release, though I didn’t play the beta. It feels like a good balance between your life mattering and having to think about the best approach to situations, while also getting you back in the fight very quickly. I think it’s easily the best FPS released since Apex Legends came out, and the fact that it’s not a BR but still manages to get some of their best qualities is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

raccoon.bmp posted:

Can't huff my Steam Deck, can't lick my Switch carts, what can anyone do for fun nowadays?

Can you still throw car batteries into the ocean or has Biden's nanny state put an end to that too?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Spaced Out (encore) humble bundle:https://www.humblebundle.com/games/spaced-out-encore

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Speaking of Steamy decks.

I just bought a Lenovo Legion Go.

Steam thread, I humbly ask for your recommendations for games to play on handheld PCs?

I imagine Metroidvanias and the like. Loved Hollow Knight, haven't really found others that I liked.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

raccoon.bmp posted:

Can't huff my Steam Deck, can't lick my Switch carts, what can anyone do for fun nowadays?

There's always good ol' Elmers. Kids these days forget where they came from.

Almost bought Against the Storm on sale but going to roll the dice on a better discount for Christmas.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Hawgh posted:

Steam thread, I humbly ask for your recommendations for games to play on handheld PCs?

I imagine Metroidvanias and the like. Loved Hollow Knight, haven't really found others that I liked.

I bought and started playing Signalis yesterday, and that looks like it could be a good game on a handheld. It's a survival horror game from a third person fixed perspective, like the OG Resident Evil, but the perspective is per-room instead of cinematic shots. The game also defaults to having a "modern" control scheme so pressing up always moves you towards the top of the screen.

The story seems pretty good so far (I've played about 4 hours, up to the first boss) and I'm intrigued to see where it goes. There's a lot of mystery going on with what is going on, why you are where you are, and so on.

Other recommendations are Disgaea 7 if you're into SRPGs where the goal is "make number go up."

In the more metrovania bucket, Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, though that is marked as only "Playable" for the steam deck, signifying that some things may require the touch screen and may sometime shows KBM or XBOX button prompts.

Miscellaneous recommendations:
Lunacid a first person RPG in the style of the old Kings Field games.

Hi-Fi Rush a rhythm action game that is really well made and oozes style. Every animation from characters to the environment to even cutscenes are synched with whatever music is currently playing.

Halls of Torment is a very fun Vampire Survivors-like with more RPG elements like gear and direct control of your attacks. Visuals are like old school Diablo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hawgh posted:

Fwiw the Go and Ally will play nearly everything you throw at it. Obviously you have to lower the settings but with that screen size you won’t notice it.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

How do I add Minecraft to my library as a non-Steam game? I can't find the exe I guess because Windows apps work differently. Is there a way?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

El Jeffe posted:

How do I add Minecraft to my library as a non-Steam game? I can't find the exe I guess because Windows apps work differently. Is there a way?

looks like there is a tool to do this https://briano.dev/UWPHook/

or you can do it manualy by following these instructions from reddit:

quote:

1 - Open Steam
2 - Click on "+ ADD A GAME" (bottom left corner of steam)
3 - Choose "Add a Non-Steam Game..."
4 - Choose "BROWSE..."
5 - Go to "C:\Windows\"
6 - Scroll down and open "explorer.exe" from "C:\Windows\"
7 - Leave it selected and click "ADD SELECTED PROGRAMS"
8 - Press "Windows key + R"
9 - Type "shell:AppsFolder" and press "ENTER"
10 - Find the app or game you'd like to add to Steam
11 - Right click on the app and choose "Create shortcut"
12 - Click "YES" to the shortcut being placed on the desktop
13 - Go to your desktop and right click on the new shortcut
14 - Select properties
15 - Write down the "Target type" or "Target" (We will need it later), after writing it down you can delete the shortcut
EXAMPLE: Target for Minecraft Bedrock: "Microsoft.MinecraftUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App"
16 - In Steam, go to "LIBRARY-> GAMES"
17 - Right click on the game "explorer" and select properties
18 - Change the icon and name to fit the game you'd like to add
19 - Select "SET LAUNCH OPTIONS..."
20 - Type "shell:AppsFolder\<Target type or Target here>"
EXAMPLE: for Minecraft Bedrock: "shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.MinecraftUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App"
21 - Click "OK" then "CLOSE"
22 - PLAY

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

raccoon.bmp posted:

Mimeographs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu3iCvAQCHg

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I knew I was forgetting an extra word in there! Yeah, their lemonade literally killed a person.

Correction: two people

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's probably for the best not to consume 400 fluid ounces of any caffeinated drink in a day

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Anyone playing Sands of Salazar? It's on deep discount and I'm tempted, but wondering how long each run is seeing that it looks designed to be played over multiple runs.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's probably for the best not to consume 400 fluid ounces of any caffeinated drink in a day

Or fuckin anything for that matter

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exquisite tea posted:

I don't know too much about that game, but I do know that it's one of the biggest mobile role-playing experiences out there and totally free. Millions of new players have joined Raid: Shadow Legends over the last 12 months, and its full release is guaranteed to make the shortlist as one of the most impressive games of 2024. All of your champions can be customized with over 50,00 unique items and there are 800 distinct classes to choose from. The dungeon bosses are no slouches of their own though and it can be really fun figuring out how to beat them in a group! It's easier than ever to get into Raid: Shadow Legends and join its vibrant community of over 10 million active players. Leave your replies for the chance to win a free promo code with 100,000 quicksilver and see what all your favorite streamers and professional gamers have been talking about.

hmm interesting, but I was wondering if I can explore vibrant fantasy worlds and engage in pulse-pounding virtual combat with my friends... and enemies?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Battle Royale fundamentally just feels like a colossal waste of time.

Spend X minutes in queue
Spend X minutes waiting for everyone to load in
Then jump from the plane and land
Then wander around and maybe run into people and die, or maybe don't see anyone and just mosey around until you do find someone and then die
Repeat

I do not get the appeal to even want to git gud

This is one of the reason I skipped the genre, but people correctly pointed out when you do have good matches. It's such an amazing feeling.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/bundle/37288

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You know you've hosed up when Day-Z is dunking on you

Speaking of which, they ever make that game (Day-Z Standalone) good or nah?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

How utterly craven, lol

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Who is dunking on what, there?

edit: vvvv Ah explains the prices, cheers.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 14, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Serephina posted:

The Day Before is the recent sorta scam game that was removed from Steam after the company folded two days after it came out. It was initially pitched as a survival game like Day-Z so they've been poking fun at it since then. Also it's that price because I already own Day-Z.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Serephina posted:

edit: What the hell is your local currency? If that poo poo is USD I'm gonna burn down valve's offices, the loving differential...

it's only that cheap because explosivo owns one of the two games already.
i have neither of them at it shows up as $54USD

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

explosivo posted:

The Day Before is the recent sorta scam game that was removed from Steam after the company folded two days after it came out. It was initially pitched as a survival game like Day-Z so they've been poking fun at it since then. Also it's that price because I already own Day-Z.

Despite it being all over Reddit and even this thread a few days ago, I had already forgotten about it and was also confused how that screenshot was dunking on anything.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sab669 posted:

Despite it being all over Reddit and even this thread a few days ago, I had already forgotten about it and was also confused how that screenshot was dunking on anything.

Completely understandable.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'd never heard of the game or the devs or any of their games before all that brouhaha so all the coverage was, to me, kinda bizarre

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Finding out that the company basically went nuts with an advertising blitz before the launch on major gaming sites, combined with the logic of "there are so many more regular folks out there who play games but aren't tuned-in consumers", the amount of first-day sales and people caught off guard by it who weren't incredibly online began to make a lot more sense to me.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Hawgh posted:

Steamworld Dig 2 and Dave the Diver were good I thought.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I was watching a live twitch stream by basically accident the other day, and it kept being interjected with an ad for a new shooter in James Cameron's Avatar, of all bloody things. I was thinking "who the hell would ever buy such schlock" then it clicked, people who are normally exposed to traditional advertising, ie most of the world and not me.

We might be all hoity toity with our presumptuously refined tastes in here, but 'gamers' are a bit of a niche market compared to the real profit generators. Nobody here even plays mobile games!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Serephina posted:

Nobody here even plays mobile games!

we actually have a whole subforum for them under games

it's like 95% gacha addicts in there

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Serephina posted:

Yea, I was watching a live twitch stream by basically accident the other day, and it kept being interjected with an ad for a new shooter in James Cameron's Avatar, of all bloody things. I was thinking "who the hell would ever buy such schlock" then it clicked, people who are normally exposed to traditional advertising, ie most of the world and not me.

We might be all hoity toity with our presumptuously refined tastes in here, but 'gamers' are a bit of a niche market compared to the real profit generators. Nobody here even plays mobile games!

Haven't been able to play it yet but the new Avatar game actually looks pretty good and has had a lot of work put into it. Most movie tie-in games are half-assed slop but this seems like the rare case when they've put out a solid product.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ZSijH16.gifv

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

repiv posted:

we actually have a whole subforum for them under games

it's like 95% gacha addicts in there

it's a pretty small subforum, only 11 threads have a post more recent than friday

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What does all this have to do with RAID: SHADOW LEGENDS?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Serephina posted:

The really weird thing is, the Avatar game somehow doesn't suck.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's a pretty small subforum, only 11 threads have a post more recent than friday

To be fair that's true of a lot of forums on SA. Creative Convention has even fewer threads that have had a post since Friday and it still has threads on the front page where the last post was over 10 months ago.

Orv
May 4, 2011

EricFate posted:

The really weird thing is, the Avatar game somehow doesn't suck.

A movie tie-in game announced in 2017 and that we then didn't hear anything about for six years should have been abject dogshit.

Hell, Ubisoft already made an Avatar game a decade and change ago and it was absolutely terrible.

Super, super bizarre that the new game is not just good but probably the best the Far Cry formula has been as well.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Scalding Coffee posted:

What does all this have to do with RAID: SHADOW LEGENDS?

use code GOONER

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Haven't been able to play it yet but the new Avatar game actually looks pretty good and has had a lot of work put into it. Most movie tie-in games are half-assed slop but this seems like the rare case when they've put out a solid product.

I mean it is an Ubisoft game with exactly the same system as every other Ubisoft game, but if you want Far Cry 7 well here it is.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

The Lone Badger posted:

I mean it is an Ubisoft game with exactly the same system as every other Ubisoft game, but if you want Far Cry 7 well here it is.

Yeah I’m pretty up for a solid iteration of Far Cry but in a super cool setting (as someone who is not very into avatar in general). I feel like Ubisoft’s world design is always what I like best about their games, esp the assassins creed ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

lmao