Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Treasure Cruise has to be a top 3 card of all time for how good it costs to cast. Recall is obviously better, but the minigame of filling your yard is so good. Love this format. Other than a few weird decks every match I've played has been a super competitve URx mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
hosed up that Time is one of the best players in Timeless

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Eeevil posted:

hosed up that Time is one of the best players in Timeless

Not anymore I just tried to make Phoenix work and tumbled to like 300 😭

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I play BO1 bc it's the only place you're safe from Time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think it is time(less) for the Kitten Combo deck.... incoming

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Is there a keyboard shortcut for Decline? I am playing Dimir Pact in Timeless and the deck is good but it takes forever to exile your deck when you go to win.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Khanstant posted:

I play BO1 bc it's the only place you're safe from Time

nobody's safe from time. time comes for us all

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Boco_T posted:

Is there a keyboard shortcut for Decline? I am playing Dimir Pact in Timeless and the deck is good but it takes forever to exile your deck when you go to win.
Nope! that's why it's good form to play Pact I response to your Oracle trigger, to let your opponent know they need to interact or lose and save everyone the time

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I Tidebringer'd an Oracle trigger today. That's the good poo poo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

16 rare wildcards... and only 4 of them were lands lol

Edit: worth it

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 14, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like that your avatar is giving the appropriate battle cry for that board.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

A Moose posted:

I never got to live the dream of Hateblade with Heart-Piercer Bow,

this doesn’t work FYI! it’s the bow that deals the damage, not the creature wearing it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

flatluigi posted:

I know you wouldn't, but hoot mentions running into people that were conceding immediately and I had my suspicions

lol

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Khans continues to be maddening. Continue to win/lose at least a third of my games to mana screw or flood, and it suuuuucks. Particularly so as the games are *great* when both players get their mana together.

lol

Latest draft ending 3-3, with two games lost to mana screw and another to flood. Last game went to six turns with me drawing six lands in a row on a hand with three. Modern formats are better than this, but I get where the praise is coming from. When it's a fair fight, the games are a lot of fun. But the three color requirement is a huge weight on the deck.

Mulliganing is particularly painful, as you need 3 lands or mana sources + the rest of your hand to at least majority be in those colors. So 3 swamps with Mardu is a no-go, but mulling to 2 mountains and a plains but a hand of black cards is also a no-go. Variance is a bitch this set.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 14, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh now that we have a format with Brainstorm + Fetches, this might be useful, especially if you're wondering what people mean when people are saying "you're using fetchlands wrong"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFEv8wfsDFM

the tl;dw:
Brainstorm is one of the best eternal-format cards of all time. There's a reason it's restricted in Vintage!
Brainstorm is used to improve the quality of your hand; it is actually card-neutral. This means you want to save it until you have cards you want to get rid of, like extra lands (Mystic Sanctuary, perhaps)
Use Brainstorm to put the two worst cards back on top of the deck. If you have a fetchland, you can use it to shuffle away those bad cards and get a fresh draw. This means you want to try holding up fetchlands if you don't need to use all your mana right away. If you can't shuffle away bad cards and have to take two turns to draw past them, that's being Brainstorm-locked, which is bad!
Even though Brainstorm is an instant, it's usually best used in your main phase because you can cast any sorcery-speed spells you draw right away.
Cards which care about the top of the deck like Delver benefit from Brainstorm. You can also use Brainstorm to hide cards from Thoughtseize or other discard spells.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I know like everyone regards Khans as one of the greatest formats ever, but I wonder how much of that is rose colored glasses? I haven't played this format in like 9 years and man, it doesn't exactly hold up. So many begrudgingly playable cards.

First game of Timeless I play, I crack a fetch, opponent stifles, I spell pierce the stifle, opponent instantly concedes. Lol, Magic as Garfield intended. Otherwise loving Bant Control. Oko is hosed up card.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 14, 2023

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Haven't done great in KTK draft so far, and my impression og BO1 is that it's quite arbitrary. Almost every game win or lose has been either a completely one-sided slaughter - not all aggro either, sometimes a player just doesn't get the colors they need or similar - or decided by a player flooding, or a top deck war.

My one Bo3 draft felt more interesting, but going 2-0, 1-2, 2-1 for just 1k gems and only 1 loss away from 0 gems just feels too poo poo for me to want to play it. My history with Bo3 events is just going 2-1 over and over with the occasional 0 gem return to top it off.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Khan draft blows. Drafted a fun Temur Morph deck, had some pretty decent hands, got entirely rolled by people running the mythic Phoenix and the mythic Roc. In the former case they dropped it turn 4 and there is nothing in the colors that can do anything about that. In the later, had a very good hand and curve but Roc + warrior boost gave em' lifelink the crucial turn.

Losing a third of the games to land variance and another third to bombs that you can barely react to is... really unpleasant.

On the bright side, the fetches aren't great in draft. So it's pretty easy to pick them up pick 3-5 in any given draft.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 14, 2023

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

To the people that have been getting "Error Updating Data" when trying to load Arena, it looks like the dev team has been able to reproduce the problem, and boy it's a doozy

Specialize is one of those things that is limited to alchemy right? Love the irony that they found a way to specifically punish players with alchemy decks.

(I'm one of them and I would really like to play again)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

kanonvandekempen posted:

Specialize is one of those things that is limited to alchemy right?

Yeah, it was their way of dealing with the monocoloured commanders that had "choose a background" on them for reasons that surpass understanding

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Another LCI Trad while I'm still home sick

https://www.17lands.com/draft/2c0c42a109e34f81ae074dcabd7f34aa

This one was weird. I got passed insane stuff early on in Gruul, but G seemed to dry up while U was suuuper open, so I decided to pivot. However, while there were always a lot of U cards around, they simply weren't good, so maybe it being open was an illusion, or it was just a very shallow pool. I did pick up a Cave package - including three Benthisaurs, which would be amazing if they get going - but not really much in the way of fixing. I really shouldn't have picked the Waterwing over the Dino-mana-fixer P3P1, but I was still thinking hey it's just gonna be an Izzet Goodstuff deck, right?

In the end, I have to make a bit of a Temur thing:

I could force RG but that would lose me a lot of potential endgame power from the four amazing splashes, and fortunately, the Benthisaur can come as late as it pleases. I have Pickaxe, Pirate, Compass Gnome, Stonetree and two lands that can tap for Blue - that should be okay. Entirely possible that I just win with efficiently-as-hell statted creatures before that, but I like the have the endgame value possibility. Or I militia-Axonil-ping em. Let's see!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Been running underworld breach for the mirror and it’s so filthy. I tried necro again last night then switched to this and it is so, so gas. Getting to have lurrus too is insane.

There is also a b/r deck floating around that is all the broken black and red shot from the delver lists, + rit and breach and it “goes off” the same turn it drops. With drc in the format it lets the deck dump 30 cards into the graveyard and play 4 bowmaster and three shadows same turn while stripping your hand. Really cool construction similar to the breach shadow lists from modern but so much more lethal

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If you want to go full combo build I saw on Twitter that Altar of Dementia (when the hell did this get put in Arena lol) and Stitchers Supplier is like a lovely Brain Freeze you can use to loop rituals under Breach before going for a Tendrils kill.

https://x.com/mtgomri/status/1734509047515127876?s=46

Looks fun but I’m not playing anything without blue until the first ban announcement.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

fadam posted:

If you want to go full combo build I saw on Twitter that Altar of Dementia (when the hell did this get put in Arena lol) and Stitchers Supplier is like a lovely Brain Freeze you can use to loop rituals under Breach before going for a Tendrils kill.

https://x.com/mtgomri/status/1734509047515127876?s=46

Looks fun but I’m not playing anything without blue until the first ban announcement.

this version is very cool and plays well

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

fadam posted:

Altar of Dementia (when the hell did this get put in Arena lol)
BRO retro artifacts

redux
Apr 23, 2008
Is Deathrite Shaman too slow for the format? With fetches legal I thought for sure it would show up in nearly every list, it was oppressive in modern.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

redux posted:

Is Deathrite Shaman too slow for the format? With fetches legal I thought for sure it would show up in nearly every list, it was oppressive in modern.

Any deck with B or G without DRS is either a combo where playing DRS breaks the combo or built incorrectly.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

redux posted:

I’ve been playing Rakdos DRC/Ragavan/Discard and so far I’ve matched against a Jund /w Deathrite and Grixis /w Counters and Brainstorm.

I think Grixis is the better deck but both 3 color piles have been beating up my poor Rakdos deck. Haven’t played very much though and games have frequently come down to 1-2 damage, which could just be play vs draw variance.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

redux posted:

I think it's pretty good. There's a Sultai value pile that I've played against a few times that seems good- it runs DRS and Halfling as the only dorks. Ignoring all the other upside on the card, two toughness on a dork is hugely valuable in a Bowmaster format.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

space uncle posted:

I’ve been playing Rakdos DRC/Ragavan/Discard and so far I’ve matched against a Jund /w Deathrite and Grixis /w Counters and Brainstorm.

I think Grixis is the better deck but both 3 color piles have been beating up my poor Rakdos deck. Haven’t played very much though and games have frequently come down to 1-2 damage, which could just be play vs draw variance.

What's the incentive to run just RB instead of a blue spash? Seems like access to Brainstorm and counter magic should be worth it?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

fadam posted:

What's the incentive to run just RB instead of a blue spash? Seems like access to Brainstorm and counter magic should be worth it?

I pulled an old No Bans list off the shelf and didn’t realize I should have added blue. Now I’m hesitant to shell out a bunch more wildcards for Brainstorm + fetches. But I really should.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

space uncle posted:

Brainstorm + fetches. But I really should.
you should.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fetches aren't ever going to get banned, Brainstorm almost certainly is but they'll refund your cards. Both are going to appear in tons of decks while they're legal, so I think both are pretty safe buys.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
DRS is really good in this format, it just doesn’t fit into the grixis shell well. It’s a house in all the other black decks though and wins games outright

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

fadam posted:

Fetches aren't ever going to get banned, Brainstorm almost certainly is but they'll refund your cards. Both are going to appear in tons of decks while they're legal, so I think both are pretty safe buys.

They should leave brainstorm alone and let this be a weird amalgamation of broken poo poo. There are lots of viable decks popping up. That b/r breach deck is killing it in the top 100 currently. They are all on the lurrus version

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Time posted:

They should leave brainstorm alone and let this be a weird amalgamation of broken poo poo. There are lots of viable decks popping up. That b/r breach deck is killing it in the top 100 currently. They are all on the lurrus version

Yeah, it should be treated like vintage at absolute most. No bans, only cards added to the restricted list

Where do you find decklists for arena anyway? Sorta want to see where I should build towards for Izzet phoenix-y lists outside of 4x bolt, 4 x ragavan, 4x brainstorm, 4x looting, 6-8 fetches (of which I have 3 rip), 4x drc

Need to complete one deck before I start building anything else

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Adding fetches then restricting Brainstorm would suck rear end

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Yeah, it should be treated like vintage at absolute most. No bans, only cards added to the restricted list

Where do you find decklists for arena anyway? Sorta want to see where I should build towards for Izzet phoenix-y lists outside of 4x bolt, 4 x ragavan, 4x brainstorm, 4x looting, 6-8 fetches (of which I have 3 rip), 4x drc

Need to complete one deck before I start building anything else

I was short on WCs so I ended up making Izzet Murktide without the Murktide (lol) and it does fine. Just shove some Delvers and Treasure Cruises in the Murktide slot and adjust the counterspells to what you have.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah, it was their way of dealing with the monocoloured commanders that had "choose a background" on them for reasons that surpass understanding

The reasons were they wanted a limited format where cards actually did something and Background cards are basically worthless, especially if you're spending an entire draw step to cast a card that sucks. Also it was probably easier to code a 'six sided card' than an additional commander slot for brawl decks.

They were already alchemizing the set and specialize was an interesting way to do it, hit probably a failure overall due to how cumbersome it was (insert joke here about how to cumbersome all of alchemy is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fish Of Doom posted:

I know like everyone regards Khans as one of the greatest formats ever, but I wonder how much of that is rose colored glasses? I haven't played this format in like 9 years and man, it doesn't exactly hold up. So many begrudgingly playable cards.

It's 100% nostalgia, though at the time it was an all timer because every set was like it - weak creatures, overcosted removal, packs full of unplayable garbage - but much worse. Especially coming off original Theros block and followed by Fate Reforged and Dragons of Tarkir, sets that left people wishing they could keep playing Khans instead.

Almost all the multicoloured draft formats of that era are considered good, because gold cards are usually fun designs and allowed to be more powerful because of the mana restrictions -- compare that to Capenna where monocoloured commons were stronger than any of the Riveteers cards lol

But these days we're spoiled with great sets, with many people unable to agree on which set from the past 3-5 years was their favourite (my vote is Ikoria), where Khans was an oasis in a desert of bad sets. It doesn't hold up, probably because of all the lessons that it taught the dev team that they used going forward. In its time it was the best, now it's just a relic.