Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tunic is lowkey funny

There are obelisks that act as sources of magic power. You have to pray at them to activate their magic. Once activated however, medieval scientists are attempting to reverse engineer them by clamping car jumper cables onto them and attaching them to other magic devices that require magic power, like a teleporter and save point.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-game-awards-winner-speeches-we-didnt-get-to-hear

IGN reached out to several developers who did not get to give acceptance speeches at the TGAs and allowed them a platform to give those speeches

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

God help me I'm getting back into anime fighting games when I should be finishing off Octopath 2.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

God help me I'm getting back into anime fighting games when I should be finishing off Octopath 2.

are you going to pick up granblue fantasy versus rising tomorrow?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I said come in! posted:

are you going to pick up granblue fantasy versus rising tomorrow?

Yeah I'm gonna try out the free version first, helps that one of the characters I'm interested in is on the week 1 free characters rotation.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah I'm gonna try out the free version first, helps that one of the characters I'm interested in is on the week 1 free characters rotation.

Hell yeah, im just gonna outright buy it. Should hold me over along with Mortal Kombat 1 until Tekken 8. The demo for that also comes out tomorrow.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

is this a thread for overall generic games chat? can we get a thread to just post insane ramblings about opinions you heavily disagree with?

i dont want to be negative in the goty thread but i stg this whole forum is an a shadow agreement to gaslight me into thinking that people actually believe tears of the kingdom is not only a good game, but somehow exceeds and transcends all mortal understanding of what a perfect game can be.

how?

HOW!

i have not seen a single post about anything praising that game for anything except "i glued a rock to my sword so it took a few additional attacks before it shattered to pieces. bravo!" and "i glued a big fan to a piece of wood and the wind carried me and i landed on a floating island! truly there is no superior gaming experience than this!!"

i feel like i'm taking psychopath pills

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is a good thread to be insane in. I think Tears of the Kingdom's biggest strength is how much player agency it gives the player. People really loved that, and had a lot of fun screwing around with the in-game physics. Plus the overwhelmingly massive gameworld to explore and screw around in did a ton to make the game a lot of fun too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

is good

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

game fun a lot, op

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

An absolute loving classic post.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

I said come in! posted:

An absolute loving classic post.

:hai:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

on a serious note i think there's a huge difference in brain juices that rewards people intrinsically vs extrinsically

the last two zelda games are not zelda games. they are tech demo sandboxes that feed intrinsic reward behavior by giving you open ended freedom to roam around and do... whatever. the zelda characters were just added in for legacy appeal and name recognition, but this is just a new style of game for people who like minecraft and roblox and the sims.

the previous, linear zelda games all have narratives and storylines and similar motifs that connect those games thematically.

for me, the adventure is being link hitting specific story beats to get to an outcome. i want to earn things the "old fashioned" way like epona in ocarina of time. not just have access to copy paste horses i can abandon whenever i want for some other horse or to make a spinning helicopter out of a tumbleweed and chopped down tree or whatever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Link

He come to town

Come to save

The Princess Zelda

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

you want to be young again is what I think you mean to say

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Zelda 1 is the ur Zelda, and botw and totk are the next closest

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want to make it a point to finish the N64 Zelda's someday. I have a huge gap in the Zelda series, it's basically:
Legend of Zelda
Zelda 2
A Link to the Past
Breath of the Wild
Tears of the Kingdom

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ShoogaSlim posted:

the last two zelda games are not zelda games. they are tech demo sandboxes that feed intrinsic reward behavior by giving you open ended freedom to roam around and do... whatever. the zelda characters were just added in for legacy appeal and name recognition, but this is just a new style of game for people who like minecraft and roblox and the sims.

the previous, linear zelda games all have narratives and storylines and similar motifs that connect those games thematically.

I never managed to get into either Minecraft or the Sims and I've never played Roblox (I don't even know what exactly it is). I really dug the storyline and the big emotional beats in Tears of the Kingdom. I wrote a whole rear end thing about it in the Game of the Year thread but to sum it all up, it told a simple story extremely well and ended on a real high note after a whole lot of really fun times exploring a really wonderful world and showing how things had changed since Breath of the Wild.

For some people, the game doesn't hit the same way and that's fine! But I loved it, those games were my introduction to the world of Legend of Zelda and they made me want to play ALL the games in the series.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

is this a thread for overall generic games chat? can we get a thread to just post insane ramblings about opinions you heavily disagree with?

i dont want to be negative in the goty thread but i stg this whole forum is an a shadow agreement to gaslight me into thinking that people actually believe tears of the kingdom is not only a good game, but somehow exceeds and transcends all mortal understanding of what a perfect game can be.

how?

HOW!

i have not seen a single post about anything praising that game for anything except "i glued a rock to my sword so it took a few additional attacks before it shattered to pieces. bravo!" and "i glued a big fan to a piece of wood and the wind carried me and i landed on a floating island! truly there is no superior gaming experience than this!!"

for some people, a very high production value version of garry's mod with zelda aesthetics might tick all their boxes, which is fine enough

i do think putting it on an all-time greats list might be a bit of a stretch with how much of the game's identity revolves around a single weird gimmick, but that's probably something reappraisals will handle a couple years down the line when the novelty's worn off

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

External Organs posted:

you want to be young again is what I think you mean to say

that very well could be part of it, but tbh i played dark souls 1 for the first time like two years ago and thought to myself "this is the best zelda game i've ever played" and i don't think it's a stretch to make that comparison. it's all metroidvania style gameplay where you have an "open" game world with hard roadblocks needing a certain story beat or item (or both) to be satisfied before it opens up and you circle back.

botw/totk is kinda that still but not exactly, and way worse at the actual adventuring stuff. souls games had the sense to remove durability altogether but zelda seems to be doubling down on it as a mechanic bc it doesn't want anything to be permanent.

i can't get excited about anything that happens in the game bc it's all temporary and meaningless and rinse repeat for dozens of hours. why fight a goblin camp when the reward is a bow i can't carry right now and have to dig through my inventory to make room for and is probably gonna be worse than what i have anyway and the enemies come back at a blood moon anyway.

you might say that it's a similar experience in dark souls when you wander off the critical path to fight enemies for worthless loot. i can't argue that it's maybe a similar concept but i have to argue that there's a dissimilar *something* that makes me feel rewarded in a souls game vs the new flavor of zelda games. perhaps bc there are more limitations in a souls games. you can only heal as many times as you have estus uses, you're only as strong as your weapon/level. i can't just horde endless apples and make endless bombs to improvise my way through enemies. i need to use a culmination of the stuff i feel i earned and the choices i made along the way to get through encounters. it makes it feel more rewarding (to me) than makeshift environmental solutions independent of level or stats.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

Granblue released early, free version is out now.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

those games were my introduction to the world of Legend of Zelda and they made me want to play ALL the games in the series.

i am extremely curious to know what you think of the older games that, in my opinion, are nearly indistinguishable from the new ones in tone and gameplay.

one concrete thing i sorely missed in botw were interesting side characters. they're there in botw but they're so one note and inconsequential where as in other games they feel like integral parts of the adventure

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Granblue released early, free version is out now.

Sadly stuck at work! But it'll be the first thing I do once I get home. Gonna give it a whirl and on Sunday I'll see if I want to shell out (unless I'm so wowed by it that I buy it earlier lol)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

you might say that it's a similar experience in dark souls when you wander off the critical path to fight enemies for worthless loot. i can't argue that it's maybe a similar concept but i have to argue that there's a dissimilar *something* that makes me feel rewarded in a souls game vs the new flavor of zelda games. perhaps bc there are more limitations in a souls games. you can only heal as many times as you have estus uses, you're only as strong as your weapon/level. i can't just horde endless apples and make endless bombs to improvise my way through enemies. i need to use a culmination of the stuff i feel i earned and the choices i made along the way to get through encounters. it makes it feel more rewarding (to me) than makeshift environmental solutions independent of level or stats.

it's primarily a difference in desired outcomes: dark souls wants to be hard, while TotK wants to be memorable, and the easiest way to achieve that endpoint is to flatten the difficulty curve of combat to make the game more accessible while simultaneously adding in something that encourages creating unique solutions to problems

which style you find more fun is going to come down to your individual aesthetic preferences and tolerance for repeated failure. i'll pretty happily beat my head against something as long as it takes to surmount, but there's a lot of people out there for whom more than a couple of retries is a quit moment

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I wish Alan Wake 2 wasn't called
Alan Wake 2, so that I could free myself from thinking I need to play Alan Wake 1, which is very boring to play.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Waffleman_ posted:

Link

He come to town

Come to save

The Princess Zelda

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Vermain posted:

it's primarily a difference in desired outcomes: dark souls wants to be hard, while TotK wants to be memorable, and the easiest way to achieve that endpoint is to flatten the difficulty curve of combat to make the game more accessible while simultaneously adding in something that encourages creating unique solutions to problems

which style you find more fun is going to come down to your individual aesthetic preferences and tolerance for repeated failure. i'll pretty happily beat my head against something as long as it takes to surmount, but there's a lot of people out there for whom more than a couple of retries is a quit moment

totally. and i guess i'm gonna be one of those people that says souls games aren't *that* hard. but only of course if you have the same type of brain deficiency as i do where it's totally fine to die over and over to the same problem.

one of my favorite things about dark souls 1 was "incorrectly" going through the catacombs all the way down to the tomb of giants where i was underleveled and getting my rear end handed to me by normal sized skeletons and then big giant dog skeletons. all the way until i got stuck at the golden fog door that wouldn't open until much later. then, without fast travel, having to fight tooth and nail back up to firelink shrine, dying multiple times along the way in both directions. that would probably piss a lot of people off but it was great for me. probably the same way building a vehicle out of bubble gum and batteries in tears of the kingdom is great fun for a lot of people but for me sounds like a weird aimless waste of time.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I don't do any of that tedious poo poo in TOTK. I shoot fools with arrows then find a new shrine to use Ultrahand in.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Isn't Arcade Paradise vaporwave

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DS1 is not a Metroidvania and is nothing like Zelda other than being third person and you hit stuff with a sword

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
people who call souls games metroidvanias just never played any other game with keycards and locks before because every modern game genre besides metroidvanias is linearized to gently caress
the part that makes them metroidvanias isn't just backtracking to use your new key on that locked door you remember from before
it's getting new powers that recontextualize exploration and make you want to go back and try new places to use them

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

bone emulator posted:

I wish Alan Wake 2 wasn't called
Alan Wake 2, so that I could free myself from thinking I need to play Alan Wake 1, which is very boring to play.
You don't need to at all. I did play it but it was over a decade ago and I don't really remember any of the main plot, but it doesn't matter. The references to the first game are just "something happened here 12 years ago", but you're not expected to know about it or can figure it out from context. I didn't even watch a recap or anything but there are plenty of those if you do actually want to get up to speed.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Waffleman_ posted:

Link

He come to town

Come to save

The Princess Zelda

Hallelujah!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Honestly every single time I see a post about Day Before I immediately swap it out with Days Gone in my head and get confused as to why people are suddenly giving attention to what by all accounts was an utterly generic zombie shooter game that came out years ago.

This is a me problem, but yes I believe I must be one of those sandheads Jay Rust mentioned.

hey days gone at least had cool mob zombies and the motorcycle was good to ride on. Skip all the story stuff holy poo poo though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Link

He come to town

Come to save

The Princess Zelda

Ganon took her away

And now the children don’t play

But they will when Link saves the day

Hallelujah!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

the gog winter sale just went on and I bought 100 bucks worth of games. I got every single old game up until like 2010 that I have ever been remotely interested in that I didn't have elsewhere.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

ShoogaSlim posted:

how?

HOW!

It fun

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

The best parts of the older Zelda games were the cool puzzles in the dungeons, now the game is a puzzle and the dungeon is your mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think all souls-like games are poo poo and have no comprehension of why people like them.

But that's fine. You do you.