Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Good looking out, I love Link's Awakening.

Wait, does the Switch remake run well on the Deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Rolo posted:

Good looking out, I love Link's Awakening.

Wait, does the Switch remake run well on the Deck?

I've only played a few minutes of it on the Deck, but it ran fine. No difference from playing on the Switch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

re that zelda thing:

https://twitter.com/realStefanus/status/1735039391477678163

"I just got it working half an hour ago :) i selected the non-desktop version 6 in protontricks. After i selected the desktop one it worked!"

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

History Comes Inside! posted:

Gonna download it now before Nintendo kill it

This was my immediate thought and action. I'm really surprised the OOT remake/port hasn't been nuked, so I grabbed it too (even though I still have my gold N64 cart). :v:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Suburban Dad posted:

This was my immediate thought and action. I'm really surprised the OOT remake/port hasn't been nuked, so I grabbed it too (even though I still have my gold N64 cart). :v:

We still have one shrink-wrapped at my parents house because any day now it’s gonna be worth millions lol.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

The OOT and Mario 64 ones seem to skate by because they make you provide all the copyrighted poo poo yourself in the form of a ROM you definitely dumped from your own personal cartridges and didn’t just download off the internet.

This is giving you a precompiled thing full of Nintendo ORIGINAL CONTENT DO NOT STEAL poo poo and that’s what makes it more likely to get nuked.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rolo posted:

We still have one shrink-wrapped at my parents house because any day now it’s gonna be worth millions lol.

Go ahead and retire

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

re that zelda thing:

https://twitter.com/realStefanus/status/1735039391477678163

"I just got it working half an hour ago :) i selected the non-desktop version 6 in protontricks. After i selected the desktop one it worked!"

I need this dotnet thing explained to me like I’m five. I went to the Microsoft website and ran some scripts installing .NET but I don’t know if it took, I don’t know what I did. Protontricks doesn’t list it. I don’t see Link’s Awakening there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ok I got it working.

https://overkill.wtf/how-to-play-legend-of-zelda-links-awakening-dx-native-pc-port-on-steam-deck/

I had to reinstall GE. The part that was tripping me up was having to open the .NET installer and then selecting Link’s Awakening in Protontricks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

best version of the best zelda

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er

It's actually not that baaaad mannnnn :okpos:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Tiny Timbs posted:

:emptyquote:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Just wanted to say I loving love this little thing. I find myself ignoring my Sick Gaming Computer. Last week I just sat down and played Halo 2 Anniversary in a comfy chair and it ruled.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol

https://x.com/patrickklepek/status/1735000652047118586?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
If Valve hadn't already hit "tens of millions of [Deck] users" we would never have gotten the OLED upgrade so soon, nevermind word from on high about the next generation coming out in a few years when the portable tech has gotten viable/cost-effective enough to justify it. GG Sweeney.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Deck hit 10 million sold? When did that happen?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Any estimates on sales numbers in total? It has to be over ~3 million at this point.

It would be 3 million plus one if Valve sold this loving thing in my country. I've mostly been appreciating the work they're doing second hand from using Linux for gaming outside of the Deck.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t know how to estimate these things, I admit. What inputs do you use to get to > 3M?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Tiny Timbs posted:

I just got it up and running on my Deck, and its absolutely incredible what this random person did. The game looks amazing, and it has tons of QoL features - autosave, the ability to map 4 items to the 4 face buttons instead of 2, a completely redone inventory screen... And the game looks fantastic at 60FPS.

I don't have an OLED Deck, but the colors would be even better on that.

Nintendo should hire this dude/dudette and put this up on their Virtual Console thing on the Switch.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t know how to estimate these things, I admit. What inputs do you use to get to > 3M?

About a year ago a dev let slip during a KDE-related conference talk that they shipped around 2m

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SCheeseman posted:

About a year ago a dev let slip during a KDE-related conference talk that they shipped around 2m

Very interesting. So what gets us to “tens of millions” as a foregone conclusion?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah its north of 3 million but probably not too far north tbh.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

The Deck hit 10 million sold? When did that happen?

When some rando on the internet presumes it, because the device was a big success right out of the gate and why not give Valve the benefit of the doubt...but mostly to further dunk on Tim in that article, where The Verge made a point of adding some amusing annotations when he pulled numbers and claims out of thin air to enhance his views.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Very interesting. So what gets us to “tens of millions” as a foregone conclusion?

idk, I said 3 million

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
It's because he likes Fortnite as an EGS exclusive on PC.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quixzlizx posted:

It's because he likes Fortnite as an EGS exclusive on PC.

There's nothing stopping it from being an exclusive on the deck as well.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Tiny Timbs posted:

This developer is really good because this game is running flawlessly on my ancient Lenovo Thinkpad T430.

e:now I'm really curious about how this will run on my Deck.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

tango alpha delta posted:

This developer is really good because this game is running flawlessly on my ancient Lenovo Thinkpad T430.

e:now I'm really curious about how this will run on my Deck.

It’ll run perfectly as well. It’s a Gameboy game at heart. 60/90fps depending on what Deck you have.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The custom silicon in Deck OLED at least implies that Valve's orders are big enough to justify such a thing.

MarcusSA posted:

Other stores have so much of the required work presented to them on a silver platter, too. They can use Gamescope, Wine, DXVK, just about everything that makes Steam work as well as it does on Linux.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Except having to create a version of EGS that runs on Linux. I don't think he cares about the percentage of people who are willing to fiddle with Heroic/Lutris.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I did have a thought the other day. It’s pretty well known that Valve is sourcing the OLED displays from the same company that makes the Switch OLED screens. A 90hz 800p screen is weird as hell, as far as modern devices go. Valve is relatively new and small in the hardware space. I think that the OLED Deck wouldn’t be possible unless… Switch 2 is also using the same screen.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I know I'm a little late to this revelation but chiaki4deck is amazing. Perfect 1080p HDR at 60 FPS with no choppiness or noticeable input lag whatsoever over a wireless connection. I was able to play Elden Ring and Diablo IV seamlessly.

I have used Sony's Remote Play before and it's never worked so well. This is astonishing.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm still not 100% convinced that Nintendo's next Thing is going to be "The Switch But Better™" because they love to go off and do their own thing. They'd be loving stupid to abandon the clear winner of this hardware generation in order to go all-in on their next big gimmick, but that's what Nintendo loves to do.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SCheeseman posted:

idk, I said 3 million

well that is certainly true

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think that the OLED Deck wouldn’t be possible unless… Switch 2 is also using the same screen.

Considering that it's only CDN$50 difference between OLED and vanilla Switch SKUs and today's consumers clearly aren't confused by it I really hope that Nintendo will offer the option at launch, if not dump LCD altogether.

Of course I'd also like them to bring back the 3/DS concept and design for it; even when the implementation was lacking to "only just a gimmick" it was still unique experiences in the gaming space you couldn't get anywhere else. When the dual screens and/or 3D were done right, it was great.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I wonder how many have EmuDeck installed? How many have non-steam software installed? Like - how geeky is the Steamdeck user base?

Like I’d imagine the normie* user to only play console style games and never touch the limit TDP sliders or boot into desktop mode or plug in a keyboard

* loving hate that term, but it’s descriptive

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Coffee Jones posted:

I wonder how many have EmuDeck installed? How many have non-steam software installed? Like - how geeky is the Steamdeck user base?

Like I’d imagine the normie* user to only play console style games and never touch the limit TDP sliders or boot into desktop mode or plug in a keyboard

* loving hate that term, but it’s descriptive

Ngl, I bought a Deck like 50% because I wanted to play old Fire Emblem and it was the best option if you already had your eye on a Deck, and haven’t bothered with setting up the emulator because it turns out being able to play new console games on release without anything taking a hit, and buying slightly older games on sale to play handheld rips poo poo. Wouldn’t be surprised if a decent chunk of people who homebrewed their other systems just can’t be assed for similar reasons, on top of people who don’t touch that stuff even when it’s as easy as buying a DS flashcart/home brewing a PSP in like two minutes.

Also, Steam Deck seems slightly daunting as a normie option to begin with between the price point and being a PC-centric device, imho.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
edit: sorry, wrong thread.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That’s the least of your worries lol

Very true. Just doing what I can.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 14, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That’s the least of your worries lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm horrible with fiddling with this kind of thing but I was able to figure out how to get links Awakening running on the steam deck with no real issues just following the information on the itch io community page for it

Edit: what I can't figure out is how do I give the game a thumbnail or background

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 14, 2023