Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

alexandriao posted:

Yeah I skipped both Emancipation and the Broca Divide on a watch with my one partner because like those are poo poo episodes that are barely redeemable.

The thing that gnaws at me about Emancipation is they only do non-Ancient Egyptian culture a handful of times until the Ori show up, and on top of that it's really, really rare to see Mongol (Mongolian? I'm not sure of the proper term ahh) culture represented in this kind of show. All of the ingredients for a really good, quiet episode of SG-1 are there, and it bugs the hell out of me.

The Broca Divide had an interesting concept and at least one good part but the rest is pure trash.

Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa is in Emancipation so that makes it worth watching.

But yes, it's embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

I think the series finale of SG1 is on the level of All Good Things and I don't know why people sass it.

I love it as an excellent episode of SG1.

But as a show finale, I was left off balance.

The Ori storyline is still underway with no resolution at all, or hint at it. That was odd.

And no Jack? No RDA in the final episode? That just didn't seem right at all.
Jack(RDA) made this show, and he's not there in the end?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

Yeah the Asgard are there season 1. Greeks. Mayans (Hathor was found in Central America).

shes also stupid white. as is the mayan planet. thats the one where their children learn then that knowledge is sent to everyone else and essentially makes them mentally disabled in the process because everything they learned from birth is removed including walking talking etc. there was the skull with giants but i think that was s2

as for skipping broca divide i like that one. its definatly in the bottom half so i sort of get it but its one of the episodes that best establishes one of the more constant things about jacks character. hes willing to die to save everyone else. not in like a sucidal death wish type of way though just hes willing to sacrafice himself for the greater good.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Jack's thing is definitely "someone's got to do it and I'm the one in charge so I'm responsible." See also: the time he sticks his head in an Ancient archive for a second time, deliberately.

Also it was covered earlier but the cast & crew didn't think Unending was going to be the last episode of SG-1. It's such a great episode anyway, though, with Teal'c's closing words.

Good things come to those who wait.

stringless fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 12, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If you've watched the movie, that Jack definitely comes across as borderline suicidal, in fact, that's why he's chosen for the mission, because there's a high assumption it's a one way trip.

Some of that remains in the show. That first season episode with that crystal which takes the form of his dead son.

And I'm just watching Season 8's Moebius, and in that alternate reality where Jack's a captain of a charter boat, he strikes me as someone who has completely given up on the world. Suicidal.

There's probably other references.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
How chapped do you think the remaining Tollan were when they found out the Asgard uplifted humanity?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

redshirt posted:

If you've watched the movie, that Jack definitely comes across as borderline suicidal, in fact, that's why he's chosen for the mission, because there's a high assumption it's a one way trip.

Some of that remains in the show. That first season episode with that crystal which takes the form of his dead son.

And I'm just watching Season 8's Moebius, and in that alternate reality where Jack's a captain of a charter boat, he strikes me as someone who has completely given up on the world. Suicidal.

There's probably other references.

It's been a long time since I've seen the movie, I know why Jack is in the position he was but uh... he didn't go alone. Obviously you're in the military and you're following orders but they go out of the way to get the guy who's got nothing left to live for to lead the mission and everyone else is just kinda chumps?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

redshirt posted:

I loved that you can view all of SG-1 as Teal'c's story, and the liberation of the Jaffa.

He should be one of the, if not the, biggest heroes in Jaffa history.

I wonder if jaffa cakes exist in the SG1 universe?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

It's been a long time since I've seen the movie, I know why Jack is in the position he was but uh... he didn't go alone. Obviously you're in the military and you're following orders but they go out of the way to get the guy who's got nothing left to live for to lead the mission and everyone else is just kinda chumps?

Special Forces are filled with people who are willing to be first in the breach for the honour and glory of coming back.
The lower the chance, the higher the glory.
So they're all in it for that, while Jack is in it because he wants to go out doing something worth dying for.

LaughchainGoesBrr
Dec 13, 2023

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

SRQ posted:

Special Forces are filled with people who are willing to be first in the breach for the honour and glory of coming back.
The lower the chance, the higher the glory.
So they're all in it for that, while Jack is in it because he wants to go out doing something worth dying for.

What a crock of poo poo. They're filled with bloodthirsty psychos that like to kill under the cover of air support. One of the female SG team in Atlantis said it best, if unintended, why she was in the Pegasus galaxy:

Jack is the hero of the story, that's why he is willing to sacrifice himself.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SRQ posted:

I mean the episode where the alien plays his son spells it out. He signed up because his son killed himself using Jack's own gun so Jack went off to die. He only cared that it was a suicide mission. He of course did find new purpose that episode is Jack discovering that he has evolved and no longer wants to just die. He wants to do something.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

In the movie, the two other military guys don't seem like the cream of the crop. Maybe those two didn't really know what they were signing up for.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

How chapped do you think the remaining Tollan were when they found out the Asgard uplifted humanity?

Arrogant rear end Tollans. Were there any survivors?

Also, with all that new Asgard tech, I still think Earth should pay a visit to the Aeshen homeworld.

They did afterall try and kill everyone on Earth.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

redshirt posted:

In the movie, the two other military guys don't seem like the cream of the crop. Maybe those two didn't really know what they were signing up for.

French Stewart was one of the soldiers (or I guess airmen since it's the air force), so maybe it was all an elaborate scheme to get rid of him?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

French Stewart was one of the soldiers (or I guess airmen since it's the air force), so maybe it was all an elaborate scheme to get rid of him?

That's my working theory. If you haven't seen the movie in a while, it's jarring how unserious these supposed best of the best military guys are. They're grabbassing and joking on an alien planet, bullying Daniel Jackson because apparently they have nothing better to do.

The show, despite its abundant humor, takes military matters far more seriously. It's part of what makes the show great.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

redshirt posted:

They did afterall try and kill everyone on Earth.

Didn't these timelines get unmade though?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

Didn't these timelines get unmade though?

The first one (2010), the Aeschen had essentially conquered Earth. That was undone/unmade.

Then second one (2001) is in the "real" timeline, and at the end of that episode, the Asechen try and send a bio-bomb through the gate.
That was not unmade/undone.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

The Aeshen really would've been a fun post guaold villain over the Ori. Navigating the new Jaffa state, the mafia dudes and a low key hostile Aeshen would've been fun.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The Aeshen really would've been a fun post guaold villain over the Ori. Navigating the new Jaffa state, the mafia dudes and a low key hostile Aeshen would've been fun.

Agreed. We get some of the other stuff - Free Jaffa politics, the Lucian Alliance, but no Aeshen. I don't think they ever come up again after 2001.

That said, while the Ori did come out of nowehere (and are clearly created to replace the big threat posed by the Goa'uld and Replicators), they do continue one of the big storylines of SG1 - the Ancients and ascension. Or essentially Daniel's storyline.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I just watched a season 9 episode named "Ex Deus Machina" and it's exactly that plot.

We learn Ba'al is on Earth, a business executive now, in charge of The Trust. We also meet the Ba'al clones.

And the Jaffa leader Garrick (Lou Gosset Jr!) sends Jaffa to Earth to capture Ba'al, and I have to say I LOVE
seeing Jaffa storm an Earth office building, looking to nab the CEO.

Just love the story idea of the Goa'uld moving to Earth and using capitalistic greed to gain power here, real power, right under the nose of the SGC. After they've been defeated playing Egyptian (and other) Gods.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

redshirt posted:

I just watched a season 9 episode named "Ex Deus Machina" and it's exactly that plot.

We learn Ba'al is on Earth, a business executive now, in charge of The Trust. We also meet the Ba'al clones.

And the Jaffa leader Garrick (Lou Gosset Jr!) sends Jaffa to Earth to capture Ba'al, and I have to say I LOVE
seeing Jaffa storm an Earth office building, looking to nab the CEO.

Just love the story idea of the Goa'uld moving to Earth and using capitalistic greed to gain power here, real power, right under the nose of the SGC. After they've been defeated playing Egyptian (and other) Gods.

Ba'al realized that he had to change to the new religion to enslave humans.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Leandros posted:

What a crock of poo poo. They're filled with bloodthirsty psychos that like to kill under the cover of air support. One of the female SG team in Atlantis said it best, if unintended, why she was in the Pegasus galaxy:

Jack is the hero of the story, that's why he is willing to sacrifice himself.

yeah and
bloodthirsty psychos who want the glory of killing people!
that's SF!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

Ba'al must've heard about Seth and figured he could do it, but better.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Ba'al must've heard about Seth and figured he could do it, but better.

Seth was on Earth for thousands of years and all he did was create little cults, get worshiped for awhile, kill them all and start over.

Small ambitions.

But I doubt Ba'al was following his example. Various Goa'ulds had been in contact with The Trust for years. I suspect that's how Ba'al learned of them, and their potential to destabilize Earth from within.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Elon Musk is a guaold. Explains everything

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Ches Neckbeard posted:

would the world be better or worse if he had a sarcophagus?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

If he had actually built the sarcophagus none of those Thai cave kids would have survived.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

One of the lesser, dumber Goa'ulds.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

One of the lesser, dumber Goa'ulds.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

He has one

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

That's the exact dude I was thinking of when redshit said Musk was a Goa'uld.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I liked Zippy. He was a minor Goa'uld, but he still commanded the big ships. And he was pretty cunning during that trial. Certainly nicely arrogant.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

1glitch0 posted:

That's the exact dude I was thinking of when redshit said Musk was a Goa'uld.

A cool haircut does wonders

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

redshirt posted:

Agreed. We get some of the other stuff - Free Jaffa politics, the Lucian Alliance, but no Aeshen. I don't think they ever come up again after 2001.

That said, while the Ori did come out of nowehere (and are clearly created to replace the big threat posed by the Goa'uld and Replicators), they do continue one of the big storylines of SG1 - the Ancients and ascension. Or essentially Daniel's storyline.

A few of the later episodes touch on loads of other powers in the galaxy. Like the Aeshen and those guys who do the races.
Why do they exist and just get kinda scrolled over?

I'm watching Atlantis, sort of a rewatch but I stopped in 2006 because I went to Uni. Missed "Sunday" and basically all of the end of series 3. Man you really get the impression they're writing the universe as they go and often forgetting what came before. I feel especially bad for Teyla's people.
it feels a bit like they didn't quite know what to do with a lot of stuff. Carson often getting dragged along to do doctor stuff when it didn't feel right or the weird bad poo poo with Michael.

And the way they end series 3!
The ancients are back! In a ship! But now they're dead to replicators and Teyla's people have gone to another world and never ever get mentioned again RIP

The idea someone had before about putting more people from various places in the city was really good!

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Taear posted:

Teyla's people have gone to another world and never ever get mentioned again RIP
Don't worry, some of them will be back.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
lol i said that guy looked to much like musk for my to like him when you guys were ranking favorite gouald.

im making my way through season 7 i fell asleep during the episode when sam is standed alone on the prometheus in that wierd gas cloud nebula thing. I didnt fall asleep because the episode was boring i was just tired. gonna fire that up tonight / tommorow. i did like the female jaffa camp episode right before this. i think the loki episode was recent to. that was a fun episode. the two parter where you see anubis's super soldier was cool but the daniel parts drug that down. also the 2nd felcher episode is the worst. it some how beat out the other felcher episode for 3rd worst to me. i think if i rewatched the mongol episode i might dislike it less then i currently dislike the 2nd felcher episode i hope he is never used again

the race episode was fun and it was cool to see those guys again but it was pretty meh outside of the cool call back and the frenemy who is like i may be a bad pilot and a terrible navigator but weapon systems thats an art form as he mcguyvers their communication array to shut down the cheaters ship.

snergle fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 16, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

s8e1 and this new look for the show hosed me up, it looks so weird

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

snergle posted:

the race episode was fun and it was cool to see those guys again but it was pretty meh outside of the cool call back and the frenemy who is like i may be a bad pilot and a terrible navigator but weapon systems thats an art form as he mcguyvers their communication array to shut down the cheaters ship.

Doesn't it feel weird though. Like an episode of a different show
Not in a bad way, just in a "huh?" way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

So does the episode where the pilot's introduced, to be fair.