Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I would say setter and softer are necessary if you don't want to hate waterslides. Softer isn't necessary on every single decal but I do it anyway because it takes 1 second to brush some on and it makes them look a lot more painted on in general. I usually use a toothpick side to move the decals off the sheet tho a paintbrush or tweezers work fine too. The bottles of micro set/sol will probably last ages too and they're small/easy to store. I'm sure Mr. Color's versions of set/sol are great too though I haven't used them. Also, if you put one on and don't like the positioning it's usually pretty simple to put some more microset on and move it as long as you haven't softened yet.

I honestly find waterslides in large quantities to be way easier than getting stickers on but that's probably because I started with tank/plane models that always have waterslides and no stickers. Something like the F-14 I put together a few years ago had around 80 waterslide decals and I was able to get them all on in the same day in a few hours. I will say that really big decals suck a lot and I'd prefer to use stickers for something bigger than an inch or two wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sorry I don't remember, but do softer and setter attack plastic? Ie if you're using them should you shoot a clear undercoat first?

I know it's advisable to apply a topcoat after to protect the waterslide.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Phy posted:

Sorry I don't remember, but do softer and setter attack plastic? Ie if you're using them should you shoot a clear undercoat first?

I know it's advisable to apply a topcoat after to protect the waterslide.

I'm not sure if they attack plastic or not but I put down a gloss coat under any waterslide decals because it tends to make them easier to work with if they have a mostly consistent smooth surface underneath.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
In my experience:
– DSPIAE MKM metallic markers are good
– DSPIAE MKC chrome markers are hell yeah awesome
– DSPIAE MK regular markers will soon arrive to be tested
– goodness gracious I hope to learn to apply those waterslide thingies someday
– I'm really interested in those marker-form topcoats, be they gloss or matte

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i also need to remember that while young me had to cry and or deal if they ruined a water slide, adult me can just buy two sheets in case i screw one up.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
p-bandai has xabungle stuff if anyone's into that.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Queadlunn posted:

I got my Hasegawa Queadluun-Rau assembled!

It's a pretty nice kit, but this is gonna need a good deal of work, there are pretty severe seams on the backpack, shins and forearms. I've got to keep in mind that Hasegawa came from making vehicle scale models and have to treat this with that kind of care. The proportions are really good and it's definitely hitting all of the design elements of the DYRL? Queadluun.

I've got my old-as-hell resin kit, I kind of wish the Hasegawa kit was a bit more round/organic looking in places. Also, the backpack feels a tad too small. But that's my view on the original design.

Gonna paint this in Max's colors once I'm on vacation, even got the paint while I was in Tokyo in October!

EDIT- Demi for scale

Hell yeah, can’t wait to see the finished Max color version

Tergaso posted:

Whoa, the shading on the Lfrith Ur looks amazing! And the collar on the Michaelis is clean, impressive work.

Thank you :shobon: I’ve done shaded paint jobs on like a dozen kits now so I think I’m finally getting the hang of it, lol

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Nuebot posted:

p-bandai has xabungle stuff if anyone's into that.

That’d be me. I let out a quiet chuckle of glee today when I saw the new HG.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren:YOUR MOVE, CREEP!:siren:

Your move, with a jetpack, Creep! (Same accessories as the regular model, but has the jetpack from Robocop 3 as well)

There's an ED-209 re-release too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can he do the across the chest shot?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Foglet posted:

In my experience:
– DSPIAE MKM metallic markers are good
– DSPIAE MKC chrome markers are hell yeah awesome
– DSPIAE MK regular markers will soon arrive to be tested
– goodness gracious I hope to learn to apply those waterslide thingies someday
– I'm really interested in those marker-form topcoats, be they gloss or matte

Waterslides sound way more challenging than they actually are. I was slapping them on Warhammer models as a high schooler and getting an OK result even without setter and softer. Yeah, they absolutely looked like something someone with no skill had slapped on, but that just meant they looked better than my god-awful paint jobs.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Okay fine who should I buy slides for my Rx-78 from?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

For an RX-78, Bandai's got their own decals, though I've kinda heard mixed things about the official sheets. For the Gaogaigar, I went with Delpi Decals.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Delpi or (even tho it’s a funny name) SIMP model decals are really good IME. I’ve found the official ones to be fine but thicker and harder to work with than just about any other brand besides the mechagodzilla/eva kit I put together.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

https://www.simpmodels.com/product-page/d16-pg-unleashed-rx-78-2-gundam-1-60

These look good, Delpi seems to have a ton of possibilities though, manual style or custom style, and holo/non-holo? I'm thinking the non-holo manual style ones, holographic might be too flashy.,

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 14, 2023

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
you can't topcoat over holo. Go "very normal" and buy at least two sheets.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Nerobro posted:

you can't topcoat over holo. Go "very normal" and buy at least two sheets.

I hadn't planned on topcoating, don't want to ruin all my work with a can of spray going bad or 'off'. But i'm still going to get two sheets of 'normal' because this is my first rodeo.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Moai Ou posted:

Trying to fit X-mas gifts into the closet where I keep my backlog has made me make an early New Years Resolution: no more buying kits until I finish the backlog.

Between P-Bandai and Suruga-ya free shipping weekends, I've amassed an unhealthy 64 kits in my backlog with another 17 on pre-order. I simply cannot build fast enough to outpace pre-orders arriving, and I don't want to be one of those folks with a room-sized backlog. Even the closet is too much. FOMO is a helluva thing that I just have to get over, especially since even P-Bandai stuff gets reprinted these days.

Sorry for the somewhat seriouspost, but now I finally understand the true meaning of "plastic crack" in toy-collecting circles.

At least I don't have anything arriving past April :v:

Well, now I feel slightly less bad about my Suruga-ya orders. I'm only at 30! :stare:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So yea its done I think. Went overboard with the weathering but its finished.

I think the confusion here was there's a kinda bleh 1/144 kit, and an amazing looking 1/100 kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX9i9A1czAs
I mean jeez look at all the stuff on the bigger model.

Also I pretty much snapped off and lost one headlight because those are fragile as gently caress and in a natural grab point.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The 1/100 Dugger is packed with detail and I sorely regret parting with mine.

Picked up the new Xabungle and WM combo pack today, and I gotta say it’s beginning to hurt dropping $40-50 on one regular-sized HG. I get why it’s that way, but I’m still feeling the pinch.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bimmi posted:

The 1/100 Dugger is packed with detail and I sorely regret parting with mine.

Its got a really lived in feel that you dont get with a lot of robot kits. All the gear, storage, handholds for people etc. Can anyone point at similar kits?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

my partner's father got me a model kit, and their style of modeling is very high quality, but very old school and a gunpla this is not

Probably try and get it together today.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
B-9 rules

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

yeah i got him an army jeep for xmas. i'd like to get him a gunpla so he can get a feel for how modern stuff is done, but the guy is not what you'd call an anime fan.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I wonder if he'd like those Battleship Yamato or Macross kits? Or the ED-209 as mentioned above. Those aren't extremely anime.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marx Headroom posted:

I wonder if he'd like those Battleship Yamato or Macross kits? Or the ED-209 as mentioned above. Those aren't extremely anime.

Could always do a Star Wars kit too, like an X-Wing or Y-Wing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bandai has a new item announcement for next Wednesday December 20.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 15, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Marx Headroom posted:

ed-209 was a strong contender but i want something I can buy now vs a preorder for what appears to be july?

macross might be good, i don't think he animes at all though, so battleship yamato is closest maybe.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Could always do a Star Wars kit too, like an X-Wing or Y-Wing.

I'd need a link to something like that. My experience is exclusively with bandai and bandai-like kits (PLUM's Gradius Kits)

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 15, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Deviant posted:

I'd need a link to something like that. My experience is exclusively with bandai and bandai-like kits (PLUM's Gradius Kits)

Bandai has their own line of Star Wars model kits, they do both ships and character kits (Vader, Mando, various droids, etc).

edit: https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Star-X-Wing-Starfighter-Model/dp/B01N4PJD4T This is a quick link to an Amazon store listing, so you know what the general boxart looks like if you go hunting in stores.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bandai has their own line of Star Wars model kits, they do both ships and character kits (Vader, Mando, various droids, etc).

edit: https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Star-X-Wing-Starfighter-Model/dp/B01N4PJD4T This is a quick link to an Amazon store listing, so you know what the general boxart looks like if you go hunting in stores.

i'll probably just grab him the Y-Wing, thx

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WW4FDBI

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Deviant posted:

i'll probably just grab him the Y-Wing, thx

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WW4FDBI

Be aware that this thing has 2.5 runners of just tiny, thin little pipes and greebles and is a bit of a pain to put together.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lemon-Lime posted:

Be aware that this thing has 2.5 runners of just tiny, thin little pipes and greebles and is a bit of a pain to put together.

2.5 runners of greebles sounds like something a guy into old school modeling would love

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Deviant posted:

yeah i got him an army jeep for xmas. i'd like to get him a gunpla so he can get a feel for how modern stuff is done, but the guy is not what you'd call an anime fan.

Have you considered explaining in exhaustive detail about how Mobile Suit Gundam is just WW2 in space with giant robots?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Deviant posted:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I went with the X-Wing. she said the greeblie would be fine but we'll just start there and see how he likes it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Good to see that you didn't give up on it. Neat color scheme too!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Greeblies are literally just the stuff he already builds put onto a different model. ILM didn't design that poo poo, they built smooth spaceships then made macaroni art using bits of WW2 kits to create detail. He'll be fine.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's a pity that Bandai doesn't still do the cars, ships and planes that were their stock-in-trade prior to Gundam, I would definitely be down for summa that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bimmi posted:

It's a pity that Bandai doesn't still do the cars, ships and planes that were their stock-in-trade prior to Gundam, I would definitely be down for summa that.

They do still make a few, although they're rarer and not reprinted as often as Gundam. They have a few Ace Combat kits, the Batmobiles (including the just-a-car looking one from The Batman), a giant truck from Kyoukai Senki, the tanks from the original Gundam, vehicles from Ultraman, the ships from Yamamato, and much more.

An issue is, though, that recently they've been putting out such large production runs for Gundam due to demand that other series kind of fall through the cracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
It's okay, sometimes Bandai branches out and gives people a sick looking Metal Greymon