Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

it should hold till the end of the year, there's nothing else to content with it.

its just aquaman, and wonka?
also i been seeing a movie a week, and I notice i haven't been seeing any Aquaman trailers.

did they totally give up on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah honestly lol. Everyone knows it’s gonna die and no one cares.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I saw the Aquaman trailer twice, once before Napoleon and once before Minus One. Both times it stuck out to me as one of the dumbest looking movie trailers I've ever seen.

It's amazing that it is the movie going for the Christmas holiday market rather than something substantial like has happened in the past. December used to be premium theatre time but this year everyone just seems spent and it means that smaller movies like The Holdovers, Minus One and Boy and the Heron are cleaning up for people starved of good stories and filmmaking.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Low key i want to see aquaman. I loved the first. I love James Wan. So I’m down.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

:bisonyes:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Here's hoping for a new Kaiju golden age.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I know it’s contentious here but I want a real pacific rim 2. Or at least a new score with the main theme blaring everywhere

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Kick rear end, gimme more big budget kaijus

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

CelticPredator posted:

I know it’s contentious here but I want a real pacific rim 2. Or at least a new score with the main theme blaring everywhere

And actual good CGI instead of the video gameified bullshit we got in the Del Toro-less sequel

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

:same:

Honestly, though, how absolutely batshit awesome would it have been if Godzilla was the Category 5 at the end.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not the biggest fan of GVK but the Kong vs G vs Mecha fight at the end feels more like a Pacific Rim brawl than anything else. It's the neon hong kong lights, probably.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

Low key i want to see aquaman. I loved the first. I love James Wan. So I’m down.

it's gonna suck but I want to see it too for similar reasons, thought the first one was great.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pacific Rim not only deserves a proper sequel but a prequel as well, not for any silly lore expansion reasons but just to see Stacker Pentecost and Cherno Alpha in their glorious primes beating kaiju rear end for 90 minutes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I had no idea there even was a Pacific Rim sequel

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Here's hoping for a new Kaiju golden age.

gently caress it, what's Shusuke Kaneko up to these days? Maybe he's down to see if lightning strikes twice with Gamera revivals

Related, I just watched Gamera: Guardian of the Universe after hearing everyone gush about it for years and it did not disappoint, that movie fucks

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

CelticPredator posted:

yea, the first Aquaman was actually the first DCU movie that I liked during its really really dry period start. Was a good Uncharted movie with plenty of setpieces. Then DCU decides to learn nothing and bring this out.

Like Shazam, enjoyed the first one. Then they rushed out Shazam 2 and destroyed any goodwill it built from it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Count Thrashula posted:

I had no idea there even was a Pacific Rim sequel

There's two though I'm not sure how much of Pacific Rim The Black is meant to be a full sequel tv series or if it's just a spinoff on the Jaeger vs Kaiju concept.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Black is definitely more of a spinoff, been a minute since I watched it but I don't recall any direct links to the movie, it just happens in the same setting.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just rewatched Godzilla 2014. I hated this movie after watching it in the theater and thought it was pretty bad thanks to its boring leads and how they killed off Bryan Cranston’s character. But looking back, I think I was just so enthralled with his character and it was right after Breaking Bad had ended so he could do no wrong in my eyes so that really annoyed me.

Also I guess I watched it in 3d and it was dark as hell, but now watching it on 4k on my tv, and honestly this movie kinda owns? Like it’s got great pacing and great moments and just kinda kept me engaged. It’s a shame the rest of the movies in this universe went batshit insane (eco terrorists in the second one, gvk basically the whole thing is goofy as hell), but yeah idk I just wanted to talk about my experience with 2014 again. The build up also was much more enjoyable and it is cool that they tease the action until the end. Also the MUTOs are not that bad. It was good man.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
G14 is great and has pretty much the perfect ratio of grounded realism to schlocky absurdity. It’s a genuine shame the rest of the Monsterverse completely jettisoned that tone (aside from Skull Island, to an extent) in favor of whatever the gently caress nonsense GvK was and GxK looks to be.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Big Mean Jerk posted:

G14 is great and has pretty much the perfect ratio of grounded realism to schlocky absurdity. It’s a genuine shame the rest of the Monsterverse completely jettisoned that tone (aside from Skull Island, to an extent) in favor of whatever the gently caress nonsense GvK was and GxK looks to be.

G14 is a top-tier Godzilla movie for me. It's super grounded, the build up to full Kaiju scenes are clever, has an... okay I guess human story, and wraps up with some truly epic devastation. Add some truly epic cinematography and it's a movie I'll always rate highly.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
G14 is a good Godzilla movie, it just spends way too much time trying to make anyone care about the people in it.

GKotM was mostly ok except for there being next to no backstory for the terrorists trying to reboot the planet. King Ghidorah ruled though, no pun intended.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mllaneza posted:

has an... okay I guess human story

G14’s human story is like one casting choice (ATJ) away from being an all-timer imo. He does fine, but get someone stronger in that role and give Elizabeth Olsen more to do and people would be universally praising G14 today.

The marketing also shot the movie in the foot by highlighting Cranston’s role in basically every single trailer and tv spot. And I get it, he was at the absolute peak of his popularity at the time thanks to Breaking Bad and his presence absolutely put asses in seats, but if the marketing had done a better job emphasizing that he’s really only in Act 1 I don’t think you’d have seen the same negative response to his early death in the film.

When your marketing hypes people up to think Cranston’s the actual lead but the actor left to fill that void after his character dies is just kind of okay, well…

I still love it though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Big Mean Jerk posted:

G14’s human story is like one casting choice (ATJ) away from being an all-timer imo.... When your marketing hypes people up to think Cranston’s the actual lead but the actor left to fill that void after his character dies is just kind of okay, well…

I still love it though.

Yeah, they almost nailed it. It was so close to being a definitive modern-day Godzilla, but fell short on a very few decisions. It's still a high-end Godzilla movie.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly I think they do a good job with the human story in G14. Like actually!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

G14’s human story is like one casting choice (ATJ) away from being an all-timer imo. He does fine, but get someone stronger in that role and give Elizabeth Olsen more to do and people would be universally praising G14 today.

The marketing also shot the movie in the foot by highlighting Cranston’s role in basically every single trailer and tv spot. And I get it, he was at the absolute peak of his popularity at the time thanks to Breaking Bad and his presence absolutely put asses in seats, but if the marketing had done a better job emphasizing that he’s really only in Act 1 I don’t think you’d have seen the same negative response to his early death in the film.

When your marketing hypes people up to think Cranston’s the actual lead but the actor left to fill that void after his character dies is just kind of okay, well…

I still love it though.

Yup it’s this. The marketing really really left me wanting more Cranston. But watching the movie now, so far removed and also without that breaking bad hype, I think the only change would be to give him a more meaningful death. It was very anti climactic and he did act really well in the movie. The conspiracy angle I believe was also really amped up in the marketing and the movie has some of that but it’s not really concerned too much with it.

I think with some tweaks his death could have been a bit better received. And honestly ATJ isn’t that bad in this. I think he did a good job.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 15, 2023

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Stegosnaurlax posted:

G14 is a good Godzilla movie, it just spends way too much time trying to make anyone care about the people in it.

I'm more annoyed than I probably ought to be that G Minus One ripped the whole story of a war-traumatized soldier being unable to connect to his wife and child, then presented it somewhat more straightforwardly (with lots of dialogue where the characters directly explain the themes of the movie), and is now getting the credit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just rewatched Godzilla 2014. I hated this movie after watching it in the theater and thought it was pretty bad thanks to its boring leads and how they killed off Bryan Cranston’s character. But looking back, I think I was just so enthralled with his character and it was right after Breaking Bad had ended so he could do no wrong in my eyes so that really annoyed me.

Also I guess I watched it in 3d and it was dark as hell, but now watching it on 4k on my tv, and honestly this movie kinda owns? Like it’s got great pacing and great moments and just kinda kept me engaged. It’s a shame the rest of the movies in this universe went batshit insane (eco terrorists in the second one, gvk basically the whole thing is goofy as hell), but yeah idk I just wanted to talk about my experience with 2014 again. The build up also was much more enjoyable and it is cool that they tease the action until the end. Also the MUTOs are not that bad. It was good man.

I quite liked it after watching it in theaters, but I agreed with your initial impression on Cranston. That is, the actual lead was fine, as were the other humans, but Cranston was just killing it for his whole time on screen, so it was disappointing to have to go without for the back half of the film. I get the thematics and all, but it was still a shame.

That said, my absolute favorite human moment came towards at the end, where the protagonist and Godzilla just look at each other and silently bond over having to handle everything themselves. It'd have been easy for it to flop, but the film sells it, with Godzilla treating a human as a peer in a way that enhanced both their characters.

And yeah. It's a shame where things wound up, since '14 was solid and balanced the crazy monster aspects and the grounded aspects, while King of Monsters on went absolutely insane. Might be my favorite "Hero Godzilla" film, and it's in the top half of the Godzilla films I've seen.

Speaking of other Godzillas, finally got around to seeing Destroy All Monsters after all these years, despite seeing Godzilla Vs Megalon on VHS before I was in kindergarten and playing the hell out of Destroy All Monsters: Melee on Gamecube.

It's not very... good, is it?

I don't mean in the Godzilla Minus One or original style good, either. I wasn't expecting a moving tale of guilt and redemption contemplating Japan's place in a post-war world. I mean as a gloriously stupid story of big monsters stomping on people. Because there's some good scenes of that, including the final curbstomping of Ghidorah, but it's spaced out between a bunch of nonsense with aliens that's much less fun than it sounds on paper. The protagonists scarcely have a personality trait between them, running into Godzilla on foot has no sense of danger, and the reaction to monsters destroying every world capital after decades of peace is less extreme than you get for a local sports team losing.

In its day, the spectacle was probably enough to be exciting, and some of it's still there (man, there are a lot of suits in this), but time has not been kind. Not the worst or anything, but a bit disappointing.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm more annoyed than I probably ought to be that G Minus One ripped the whole story of a war-traumatized soldier being unable to connect to his wife and child, then presented it somewhat more straightforwardly (with lots of dialogue where the characters directly explain the themes of the movie), and is now getting the credit.

I see Minus One as more focused on survivor's guilt, found family and ultimately eschewing military/cultural trappings in favor of moving on with your new community. G14's protagonist certainly does have some trauma and survivor's guilt, but his journey is more focused on being an active cog in the machine, and using his place in that machine to assist the strange god he's going on this odyssey with. They're both very good movies, with some parallels, but I don't think they're all that similar.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll go to bat for G14 also having an incredible soundtrack. King of the Monsters beats it for letting Bear McCreary go wild with the Ifukube score and slamming his war drums into the mix but Alexandre Desplat made a really eerie sounding theme that still has those classic monster movie scare chords built in.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Am I the only person who loves all the classic G films, but also had a blast with KOTM?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Annath posted:

Am I the only person who loves all the classic G films, but also had a blast with KOTM?

I liked it most of the Legendary movies for what its worth

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
KOTM is also my favourite of the Monsterverse movies even if other monsterverse films do individual things better. I like the way the movie expands on the Alpha Predator angle of G14 with characters trying to impose an artificial hierarchy over monsters and mankind only for the monsters to emphasize that man-made hierarchies or our assumptions about hierarchies in nature are bullshit when a 3 headed space alien shows up and disrupts order for fun.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

chiasaur11 posted:

.Speaking of other Godzillas, finally got around to seeing Destroy All Monsters after all these years, despite seeing Godzilla Vs Megalon on VHS before I was in kindergarten and playing the hell out of Destroy All Monsters: Melee on Gamecube.

It's not very... good, is it?

I don't mean in the Godzilla Minus One or original style good, either. I wasn't expecting a moving tale of guilt and redemption contemplating Japan's place in a post-war world. I mean as a gloriously stupid story of big monsters stomping on people. Because there's some good scenes of that, including the final curbstomping of Ghidorah, but it's spaced out between a bunch of nonsense with aliens that's much less fun than it sounds on paper. The protagonists scarcely have a personality trait between them, running into Godzilla on foot has no sense of danger, and the reaction to monsters destroying every world capital after decades of peace is less extreme than you get for a local sports team losing.

In its day, the spectacle was probably enough to be exciting, and some of it's still there (man, there are a lot of suits in this), but time has not been kind. Not the worst or anything, but a bit disappointing.

It's really not good! It was probably one of my biggest letdowns when I was going through the Criterion set, just completely squandering the amazing premise of having every monster possible in it. I feel the same way about Final Wars, actually...

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Destroy All Monsters is great (obviously) but i admittedly have never been able to get over the alien's big fallback plan being to send King Ghidorah to get the poo poo beaten out of him by like fifteen other monsters. real "stop, stop, he's already dead!" hours.

Anguiras being Anguiras, he's the one monster to get his rear end kicked by King Ghidorah before the rest of the monsters gang up on him

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Arc Hammer posted:

I'll go to bat for G14 also having an incredible soundtrack. King of the Monsters beats it for letting Bear McCreary go wild with the Ifukube score and slamming his war drums into the mix but Alexandre Desplat made a really eerie sounding theme that still has those classic monster movie scare chords built in.

Desplat made a fantastic soundtrack for the movie indeed. Even little moments like the chinatown sequence.

And while McCreary's work is equally amazing, its a pity that the movie decided to bury the score underneath all that sfx.
Like the scene with Ghidorah's cry across the world should have gone loud with this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xd07goJFmA&t=170s

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love KOTM. I was having a lovely week and all I wanted was to see KOTM in imax and it took so much bullshit to finally let me do that.

And it was sublime

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I've always found this to be a boring entry. Invasion of the Astro-Monster is superior IMO, it's helped that the alien/human stuff is way more fun and goofy.

However if I'm not mistaken this is when Toho began their nasty stock footage habit, and I'm a firm believer in docking points for that, rather than viewing the movie as something on its own or in a vacuum, i.e. pretending it isn't recycled material.

I just finished Invasion of the Astro-Monster and... fun and goofy is a good way to describe it! My biggest complaint is the extreme lack of kaiju in this kaiju movie. If you watch as a trippy weirdo alien movie, it's a lot of fun, but I was hoping for more Godzilla/Rodan/Ghidorah!

3/5 stars.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

I just finished Invasion of the Astro-Monster and... fun and goofy is a good way to describe it! My biggest complaint is the extreme lack of kaiju in this kaiju movie. If you watch as a trippy weirdo alien movie, it's a lot of fun, but I was hoping for more Godzilla/Rodan/Ghidorah!

3/5 stars.

Astro Monster has two good points:

1) The bit where Godzilla does his stupid happy dance
2) A genuinely entertaining human plot, full of alien invasion conspiracies and prominently featuring Kumi Mizuno in a swingin' 60s spacesuit

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Just imagine us poor souls who were excited that Juliette Binoche was going to be in G14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

brocked posted:

Just imagine us poor souls who were excited that Juliette Binoche was going to be in G14

hell, i was excited that Godzilla was gonna be in Godzilla 2014