Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Dabir posted:

That sounds like a 'you' problem

Lovely that means I'm on the right track. Is there anything special in the settings that you flipped to be able to view X embeds on your app which should also be on 3.8.20?

fyi: posting to a new page still works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

x.com embeds just purely don't work on the app or the forums, as far as I know. twitter.com ones with the same URL still work fine aside from random tech issues, I think it's actually an Elon problem at this point.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

No I mean wanting to see more twitter embeds is the problem. Try not doing that.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

I understand some of these words and hope that other developers can replace *checks settings* Vine with the new Twitter domain, so I can continue to browse the OSHA thread on the loo into the foreseeable future.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

just hack in a regex to change x.com to twitter.com what could go wrong

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Captain Hygiene posted:

x.com embeds just purely don't work on the app or the forums, as far as I know. twitter.com ones with the same URL still work fine aside from random tech issues, I think it's actually an Elon problem at this point.
No, they definitely do work on desktop, I just checked. Do not know how recent that changed. They were also made to work on the iOS app from what I read in the iOS app thread.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Change the URL.

X.com:

https://x.com/TheOnion/status/1732758803718758567?s=20

twitter.com:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1732758803718758567?s=20

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sure, just give me the ability to edit other people's posts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah sorry, I seem to have skimmed like half a dozen posts and gleaned nothing from them. Impressive, really.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
x.com embeds don't work for the android version of the app but twitter.com ones do.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It's not that hard of a fix. The code for it is here:

https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/blob/28b5d06b7b3e3722db305b26119cc0fa1c4b98fc/Awful.apk/src/main/assets/javascript/embedding.js#L88

The app just doesn't really have any active maintainers right now. It looks like there's just one person who can make releases for it. Give it some time I guess.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Nalin posted:

It's not that hard of a fix. The code for it is here:

https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/blob/28b5d06b7b3e3722db305b26119cc0fa1c4b98fc/Awful.apk/src/main/assets/javascript/embedding.js#L88

The app just doesn't really have any active maintainers right now. It looks like there's just one person who can make releases for it. Give it some time I guess.

I've never worked in mobile dev but this looks like a good first issue. I'll give it a shot.

E: I made a quick and dirty PR to add support for embedded xhits: https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/pull/779

Mantle fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 8, 2023

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Mantle posted:

I've never worked in mobile dev but this looks like a good first issue. I'll give it a shot.

E: I made a quick and dirty PR to add support for embedded xhits: https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/pull/779

Thanks for doing this. Someone brought it up in the forums tech subforum as well.

Aside from compiling an APK ourselves how would we go about getting this fix? It looks like the last release on the app store was around April. I wonder if a Github Action can be set up for the Google Play beta channel or something.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Piss Stain Johnson posted:

Thanks for doing this. Someone brought it up in the forums tech subforum as well.

Aside from compiling an APK ourselves how would we go about getting this fix? It looks like the last release on the app store was around April. I wonder if a Github Action can be set up for the Google Play beta channel or something.

Sereri merged the fix 4 days ago, so it is at least in the queue for the next release. If you want the fix before then, compiling the APK and sideloading is your only solution.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yeah sorry, I didn't get that out last weekend. As it turns out Google is now requiring the app to be able to remove user data it collects. What user data does Awful.apk collect you ask? Crash reports.

So yeah, this weekend I'll decide how much work it is to add a button to delete your crash reports, or if it's just easier to just rip that out and fall back to the garbage standard play store one. It's not like there are many, or that anyone currently looks at them anyway.

And then you'll be able to include doom scroll chunks that have the bad domain.

Thanks for the PR by the way

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The ~sports~ threads are useless without embeds so I thank you for your service

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Thank you, it's just good to know the screaming is not into the void.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Thank you for the update I love this app. I'm not a coder, but I do qa for a company and read pull requests daily as part of my job to see what has changed and how it will impact the rest of the code base.

I can read and understand code, but I'm very inexperienced in writing it.

The only thing I really do these days is taking already written SQL code and changing it to do what I need for my job to verify they didn't break something.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to maybe help me set up a dev environment on GitHub for this app. I would like to look at the code and maybe, take a swing at some minor updates.

I'd like to learn more but I'm not sure where to start.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My end goal is to get Twitter/x embeds working again and also give the ability to have them redirect to nitter.net while following the rest of the link so we don't have to sign in to view the stupidity and can avoid the ads from ol Elon.

But I need some experience before attempting that if it's even possible

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Wendigee posted:

Thank you for the update I love this app. I'm not a coder, but I do qa for a company and read pull requests daily as part of my job to see what has changed and how it will impact the rest of the code base.

I can read and understand code, but I'm very inexperienced in writing it.

The only thing I really do these days is taking already written SQL code and changing it to do what I need for my job to verify they didn't break something.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to maybe help me set up a dev environment on GitHub for this app. I would like to look at the code and maybe, take a swing at some minor updates.

I'd like to learn more but I'm not sure where to start.

Cloning the project and getting it to build is a great first step. Do you already have a GitHub account?

The instructions in the project Readme worked for me to get the project to build.

If you get stuck and want to pair on this, shoot me a DM.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Okay cool. I had to create a GitHub account because my work migrated our repos to GitHub recently, but I'll definitely want to create a new account for personal use.

I do have PMs so I'll try following the readme and if I get stuck I'll reach out.

Thank you very much I appreciate it!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Umm.. 😳 what language is this written in? Java?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Java and maybe some Kotlin (I haven't actually looked at it since maybe around when Kotlin became a language for Android).

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Wendigee posted:

Umm.. 😳 what language is this written in? Java?

You can see the languages list on the GitHub page for the project in the bottom-right:
https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk

It is mainly Java/Kotlin with some JavaScript/CSS thrown in.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I viewed the page on my phone and it wasn't obvious... My brother learned to code with Java and he can probably help me a bit too.

Thanks everyone I'll follow the readme and try a setup tomorrow or this weekend depending on how busy work is.

I appreciate your support in answering so quickly this thread is usually pretty dead

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My brother and friends are excited I'm looking into starting to do dev. They all started a few years ago when we all got let go from my previous job.

How much space do you think I need to start an android studio environment for this project?

I got a spinner with like 250 gigs I assume that's plenty?

Or would it be better to use 40 gb on an SSD? I assume speed doesn't matter much for compile time anymore

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 15, 2023

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Wendigee posted:

My brother and friends are excited I'm looking into starting to do dev. They all started a few years ago when we all got let go from my previous job.

How much space do you think I need to start an android studio environment for this project?

I got a spinner with like 250 gigs I assume that's plenty?

Or would it be better to use 40 gb on an SSD? I assume speed doesn't matter much for compile time anymore

If you're that limited on space, install the Android stuff to spinning disk but the project itself to SSD. The project itself is real small but you probably don't want to waste all the space on the Android garbage on your SSD.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

If you're that limited on space, install the Android stuff to spinning disk but the project itself to SSD. The project itself is real small but you probably don't want to waste all the space on the Android garbage on your SSD.

My only thought was that it being on the expected directory of c:\program files\stuff would prevent configuration issues further down the line.

This is from experience years ago and probably isn't an issue anymore.

Android space failed to install anyway because my CPU failed it's VT-x virtualization check which my CPU is supposed to support according to my checks.

Is there a goon discord for dork stuff like this?

Nerds seeking nerds? I can share info on 7 year old fiber storage array hardware that doesn't exist anymore or tips on how not to implement app features

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 15, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I really doubt I need hardware acceleration through my CPU for this so I'm just going to continue

Edit: friend told me I probably just need to boot to bios and turn it on. My machine is old enough it probably shipped turned off.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 15, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You'll want hardware virtualization if you're going to use an emulator to test your changes on, otherwise it'll be dog-slow and really annoying.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Wendigee posted:

My machine is old enough it probably shipped turned off.

I don't think I've ever seen a bios with vt turned on by default.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

There is a Cavern of COBOL discord here: https://discord.gg/9WuYBbhV

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm glad not being able to see tweets in the NBA thread has lead to goon projects, cheers everyone :cheers:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

well, the install said it wasn't enabled and my CPU is supposed to support it... so its either disabled in BIOS or my laptop is broken yeah?

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 16, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Mantle posted:

There is a Cavern of COBOL discord here: https://discord.gg/9WuYBbhV

gracias!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

yeah even 13th Gen Intel boards I've installed recently had it defaulted off

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I feel dumb as hell, but i tried looking up my forums ID # and i couldn't find it on my control panel...the discord wants me to share that to verify i am a goon.

I hope im not this useless at looking at code

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Wendigee posted:

I feel dumb as hell, but i tried looking up my forums ID # and i couldn't find it on my control panel...the discord wants me to share that to verify i am a goon.

I hope im not this useless at looking at code

It's weird that it doesn't show up when looking up your own profile, but you can get your forums ID number by clicking on the ? button underneath a post you've made in a browser and grabbing it from the url. It's kinda funny in context that you can also do that in the app, but it automates it enough that you can't see the account number :classiclol:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's weird that it doesn't show up when looking up your own profile, but you can get your forums ID number by clicking on the ? button underneath a post you've made in a browser and grabbing it from the url. It's kinda funny in context that you can also do that in the app, but it automates it enough that you can't see the account number :classiclol:

Lol thank you. I knew about the question mark at one point but I forgot.

Good news is my CPU did indeed ship with virtualization off

I enabled that and now I'm fighting windows 10 system control panel to enable hyper-v... the location and phrases seem different but I think i found it.

Progress.

Going to uninstall the install from last night and reinstall and see if it picks up the virtualization.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

e: nvm