Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

I need a second garage cuz the first one is just for a ton of junk.

mine has my summer car in it so my winter drivers still get cold :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

His Divine Shadow posted:

I just get in my warm heated car every morning without even having had to start the car. But sure keep on doing it the dumbest way.

when my landlord inures me to fixing my apartment I will let him know that I would like him to build a heated garage over these 12 spaces and stop letting people block me in because they don't want to park on the street

once we handle that we can talk about electrical connections

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

mine has my summer car in it so my winter drivers still get cold :(

Gotta baby the summer car though. Winter car can suck it up.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

All this winter car talk is really making me miss timely and affordable public transit, the greater Baltimore area sucks rear end at that poo poo.

On-topic: the dumb baby body wash I use for my dumb baby skin has replaced their old cap with one that features a water-tight gasket seal requiring 1,200 pascals of force to produce any of the liquid inside. When you do finally cross the ludicrous pressure threshold it dribbles out one sad, pithy little squiggle of body wash. I kept hurting my hands so I figured I'd just dump it all into a glass pump bottle but that took forever and now my hands hurt anyway. gently caress you, Dove.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Disney+ app barely even pretends to remember where I left off on a movie. Every time I tried to watch a movie from where I left off, it just started back to the beginning.

Hulu now has tiny, horizontal banners between rows. I thought I had scrolled down to the Continue Watching section and pressed select, but it turns out I was on the Huludays button. Also it's really cool that I have to scroll to the fourth row of the home screen to get to the Continue Watching section.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Shopify storefront rear end government webpage

though is commerce...

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Professor Wayne posted:

Hulu now has tiny, horizontal banners between rows. I thought I had scrolled down to the Continue Watching section and pressed select, but it turns out I was on the Huludays button. Also it's really cool that I have to scroll to the fourth row of the home screen to get to the Continue Watching section.

yeah, this is really irritating

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

The Disney+ app barely even pretends to remember where I left off on a movie. Every time I tried to watch a movie from where I left off, it just started back to the beginning.

Lol anybody still using streaming for TV/movies deserves to suffer.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
almost no one deserves to suffer

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Those who purchase goods and services do, though

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah I know I live in one of these places. Except it seems in america they don't, instead they just turn on their cars and let them idle until warm.

America is famously a solid block of people who all act the same and live in the same climate. Block heaters are pretty common in places with long cold winters. Most of the country doesn't have enough of a need to pay for it.

Cerekk posted:

All you people that don't have remote start can keep making up whatever bullshit thing helps you lie to yourself that Pleasant Luxuries are Bad, Actually. I'm gonna keep enjoying getting into a car with toasty warm seats and steering wheel when it's cold out.

Things getting better: Most cars are available with remote start now; a luxury previously available only to the rich.

That's right. I start my car as soon as it's in sight when I'm walking towards it, and when I am at home I do it while I'm getting ready so I have a nice warm interior and easier ice scraping.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

my office room has lights and power attached to a motion sensor. if my coworkers aren't in, unless I get up and move around every 20-30 minutes, the lights go dark and my monitor turns off and I'm looking at some loser piece of poo poo online.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

mawarannahr posted:

my office room has lights and power attached to a motion sensor. if my coworkers aren't in, unless I get up and move around every 20-30 minutes, the lights go dark and my monitor turns off and I'm looking at some loser piece of poo poo online.

I'm not doing it. Someone else say it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

I hate that guy

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

mawarannahr posted:

This is good, you should be getting up and moving around at least every twenty minutes. I mean, just look at that guy, he needs it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Time_pants posted:

I'm not doing it. Someone else say it.

Turn your monitor off and look at your handsome self instead :)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Lol anybody still using streaming for TV/movies deserves to suffer.

I only have an xbox one hooked up to an old tv :negative:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Vampire Panties posted:

700 is 50% of 1400, que no? is that relatively close? :thunk:

Incredible math on this genius goon Jesus Christ

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Biplane posted:

I only have an xbox one hooked up to an old tv :negative:

I remember the days before streaming or even chromecasts when an original xbox with kodi was the best method to watch pirated media on tv's of the time.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

tangentially related: sometime back during covid, when supply chains got all hosed up, material suppliers and a lot of fab and machine shops started quoting poo poo with ultra short quote durations. like i remember at the height of absurdity my local metal supplier started quoting me for 15 minutes. if i didnt place the order immediately the price would change lol. since going back to normal, material supply has stabilized somewhat so some places started lengthening those quote durations again but some places just left it on their quoting sheets and didnt change the wording ("this quote is valid until 14:24:32" or whatever so its just some automated system spitting it out). i dont have a problem with it usually but i'm getting an engine block and head decked by a fly cutter and i responded to a quote today that i was sent yesterday and they said the price has changed lmfao. bitch its a material removal process! what cost changed?!?!?

That’s hyperinflation lol. I remember in the late 00s hearing how in Zimbabwe, the prices would change between when you sat down for a meal and when you were finished and ready to pay. In hindsight, one wonders why they didn’t just pay upfront.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

mawarannahr posted:

They did this in the bathroom when I was having some plumbing issues and the lights just shut off with you in the stall. making GBS threads in a dark cave like my Neanderthal ancestors.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

galagazombie posted:

making GBS threads in a dark cave like my Neanderthal ancestors.

For some of us this is just called “regular posting”

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Marenghi posted:

I remember the days before streaming or even chromecasts when an original xbox with kodi was the best method to watch pirated media on tv's of the time.

I still have a kodi box. Never been without one since my first modded og Xbox with xbmc back in 2005. Somehow still the best interface of any media player.

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
I just discovered my HP printer had a trial HP instant ink subscription, meaning that the printer won’t use the ink cartridges when the subscription lapses. So there’s ink in the cartridge that is inaccessible to the printer. The subscription plan works on number of pages you plan to print. Welcome to the future.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

MoonshineWilly posted:

I just discovered my HP printer had a trial HP instant ink subscription, meaning that the printer won’t use the ink cartridges when the subscription lapses. So there’s ink in the cartridge that is inaccessible to the printer. The subscription plan works on number of pages you plan to print. Welcome to the future.

Not to be a dick, but you bought an HP printer - a company that is *known* for this bullshit for the last 20 years. I don't know that I can muster up any sympathy.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

galagazombie posted:

They did this in the bathroom when I was having some plumbing issues and the lights just shut off with you in the stall. making GBS threads in a dark cave like my Neanderthal ancestors.

This is supposed to stop people taking long breaks in the stalls but you can totally just out-Alpha it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

skooma512 posted:

App stuff has proven to be pretty ephemeral as it is too. I had a Fitbit in 2015 because work was just giving them out, and by 2021 the hardware was all poo poo and Google bought them and they are being imploded. Less than 7 years and all that poo poo is e-waste now, and usually within 3 years of purchase anyway. There will be weeks when an app just doesn't work. The Taco Bell app was that way for me, just immediate crash, and they didn't fix it for a week. I tried to get my mom a fitness band that was comparable to fitbit, and the biggest brand is Huawei, which is lol is now under embargo in the west and you can't get their app for a product from a year or two ago.

Like nothing about the app store ecosystem is about longevity. Products go in and out all the time, updates just break poo poo, they abandon apps. At least something hardcoded can't have all functionality shaved away when they feel like revenue is lagging.

The entire idea of an app store is an enshittification of the package managers *nix systems have had for 30 years.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Now that all the leaves are off the trees I'm seeing a lot of tents set up in the woods near roads. Like, in the little patches of woods nobody cares about. There seem to be A LOT more homeless people around here all of the sudden. Feels like something's wrong.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
No, capitalism is working great.

Maybe a real answer: some COVID rent,/foreclosure control expired in the past few months.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Not to be a dick, but you bought an HP printer - a company that is *known* for this bullshit for the last 20 years. I don't know that I can muster up any sympathy.

If this thread is going to be of any lasting value (lmao), I feel like it's going to need a hard list of the technological traps we have found ourselves in.

List of things you'd be an idiot to assume are going to stay awesome and cheap just for you:
  • an algorithm making your entertainment choices for you
  • your expensive phone and/or its expensive accessories
  • any music streaming service
  • any real-world item that relies on an app, or the internet, for basic usage
  • food delivery and driving services that use the labor of people poorer than you are
  • very cheap imported electronics
  • fast food
  • printers, except for Brother printers, sometimes

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
• Any Samsung or LG appliance
• Any washer that isn't exactly a Maytag MVWP575GW or some Speed Queens
• Anything made by KitchenAid
• Anything made by Bose
• Literally every loving TV on the planet. Oh my god they are all so loving bad.
• phones
• phone apps
• any service relying on phones or phone apps

The real heuristic I apply these days is: "Have I seen an ad for this?" If I have, I avoid it - basically everything that's advertised is poo poo, and there is a better and often cheaper version of that thing somewhere else. If it's a brand you already know without knowing the product space already, then it's probably poo poo. This doubly true for anything you've seen marketed on Youtube or Twitch.

The best manufacturer of [thing] is almost always some obscure company that isn't spending 50% of their operating overhead on commercials.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Any product or service whose main selling point is convenience

e: Also any free service

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is an absolutely fantastic heuristic as well. If someone is trying to sell you """convenience""", that product is complete trash 100% of the time.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I also distrust toilet paper

it's very direct, honest convenience

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Woolie Wool posted:

The entire idea of an app store is an enshittification of the package managers *nix systems have had for 30 years.

Have you ever used the flatpak/snap based Linux "app store" guis on the desktop distros? All the storefront software is the worst poo poo that takes a long time to launch or do anything else (also very buggy and crash prone).

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

I also distrust toilet paper

it's very direct, honest convenience

The better product here is a bidet

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

mawarannahr posted:

Have you ever used the flatpak/snap based Linux "app store" guis on the desktop distros? All the storefront software is the worst poo poo that takes a long time to launch or do anything else (also very buggy and crash prone).
How else are you going to find out about TuxCheckers3? It's in the 'recommended' section. BTW it may categorically fail to automatically install

fake edit: snap store seems to feature a lot of common and useful robotics stuff, and it seems to be reasonably well supported, which makes sense. still wouldn't trust it to not be a pain to work around

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Pandemic took some shots at the Hotel Breakfast.

It took a while for anything not 100% pre packaged to come back, but when it did, strangely, potatoes have disappeared. I have not seen them at any hotel since before 2020, and they used to be a default staple. Did potatoes become super expensive?

The waffle stations have slowly returned in most places..

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
at least the sad brown fruit is still there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Webastos, commenting on other Webastos: "loving Webastos."