Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jedit posted:

I'm not seeing the problem here. "-ize" is the US spelling. "-ise" is correct in English.

This is actually a consequence of word processing software like Microsoft Word! Before modern spellcheck software, both -ise and -ize forms were considered acceptable in British English. What was important was that you stick to one or the other in the document, so you couldn't use them interchangeably, that would look sloppy. When the earliest spellcheck functions were introduced, instead of ensuring a uniform style, they used a simpler method: -ise usage was more common than -ize in British English, so they just marked -ise as "correct" and -ize as "wrong". And now decades later we've all decided that "-ize" is wrong, because some programmer in Redmond, Washington took a shortcut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Like, give me a big bag of dried, chilli-salted insects and I'll happily stuff them down like Wotsits.

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

Huffing Mr Sheen to make the phone calls go away

Pistol_Pete posted:

Like, give me a big bag of dried, chilli-salted insects and I'll happily stuff them down like Wotsits.

Same. It's just... moths.... how are moths getting in to the process of mixing up flour and sage and onion powder? Does the process happen outside under really bright fluorescent lights?

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's odd that people'll get all squeamish about eating crickets or whatever but show them e.g. a southern Italian seafood dish with absolutely enormous shrimp that are all legs and wriggly antennae and they'll be delighted.

I guess it's the classic hygiene-born taboo around any animals which are considered vermin or pests - i.e. if we lived in a Junji Ito's Gyo world and there were shrimp scuttling around the damp corners of our bedrooms at night or lurking in our attics, we'd probably be a lot less inclined to throw them on the barbie.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
On a different note, the pro-Israeli propaganda in outlets like the Telegraph has become truly eye-popping. Like someone said on Twitter, nobody's buying their horseshit any more but all they know how to do is scream, so they're just screaming louder, and louder, and louder, 'cos that's always worked in the past.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tedsville posted:

Same. It's just... moths.... how are moths getting in to the process of mixing up flour and sage and onion powder? Does the process happen outside under really bright fluorescent lights?

Now I'm thinking of a Far Side cartoon, with a lab-coated employee looking quizzically at a big machine with two red buttons on it, one labelled "Stuffing mix", the other labelled "Moths".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Moths have scales so papally speaking they're fish.

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

Moths have scales so papally speaking they're fish.

Going to my local seafood eatery and ordering up a big ol' plate of moths.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

Why was he using a Dictaphone? He had ten perfectly serviceable fingers, didn't he?

Managers weren't expected to know how to type back in the day, is kind of the point. That was womens' work.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I used to hate those automated office tests

I hate all automated tests because they're a bunch of lazy people screening bollocks often used by people who don't have the expertise to evaluate candidates properly.

There's this online maths one that some companies have had me do in the past and I've failed them every time (despite having studied maths at university and spending the better part of a decade in a field where i study advertising numbers).

The reason I failed them is because the sample question you're given doesn't quite reflect the contents of the actual test. When you start the actual test you're bombarded with graphs and charts and then given about 30 seconds to digest all of the info on it before then getting another 30 seconds to digest the question itself and work out the answer they want you to. It's usually something easy, like % change in sales from one year to the next or whatever, but the wording and delivery of the information are so clunky that it takes too long to decipher it.

I've done loads of people management training since then and it turns out there;s nothing wrong with me, but I'm actually one of the types of people who take in info a little slower but give a much more detailed and considered response, often with a degree of expertise that provides more robust solutions to problems.

But can't work out a % in 30 seconds? gently caress off, you're dead to us.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

feedmegin posted:

Managers weren't expected to know how to type back in the day, is kind of the point. That was womens' work.

Which is odd because before it became "women's work", secretaries were often male (probably mostly before WW2) and being groomed for the management posts. And did typing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh they were being groomed alright.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tedsville posted:

Dead moths in the flour presumably

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Likewise programming was for the womz until it suddenly became a Man Thing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

And in astronomy identifying / classifying stars

https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/the-female-astronomers-who-captured-the-stars/

Nuclear & particle physics - identifying particle tracks in bubble chambers

https://scienceblogs.com/weizmann/2014/09/02/the-women-who-made-the-science-possible

And I'm sure everyone has at least heard of "Hidden figures" if not seen the film, about (African American) women who were literally known as computers and did many of the calculations necessary for space flight.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, 'Coder' was on a par with 'typist' at one point, not sure when the changeover happened.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hey kid I'm a computer, stop all the downloading

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, 'Coder' was on a par with 'typist' at one point, not sure when the changeover happened.

The moment it became a lucrative and high status career.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Probably around the time software started being something you sold, and therefore you set the price of your skills. Remember this was in the post-WW2 era where the economy wasn't just a boot stomping on your face

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Kin posted:

I hate all automated tests because they're a bunch of lazy people screening bollocks often used by people who don't have the expertise to evaluate candidates properly.

I liked the bit in Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon (but not a lot else, bloody stephenson) about how the maths dude fails the navy's basic-functioning-human-being-maths-test and ends up with the slow kids in the band because one of the questions inspires him to instead write a publishable article on the answer sheet

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Tedsville posted:

Pantry moths will eat anything. Very fond of porridge oats in my (horrid) experience

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmegin posted:

*sigh*

I think that one slid past, probably because it was written down.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

lol

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

Oh dear me posted:

Pantry moths will eat anything. Very fond of porridge oats in my (horrid) experience

I'm fortunate enough to have only experienced the ones that occasionally munch holes in your clothes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

grobbo posted:

I guess it's the classic hygiene-born taboo around any animals which are considered vermin or pests - i.e. if we lived in a Junji Ito's Gyo world and there were shrimp scuttling around the damp corners of our bedrooms at night or lurking in our attics, we'd probably be a lot less inclined to throw them on the barbie.
I could understand that with animals directly associated with spoiled food, stagnant water, or disease, like mosquitoes or maggots, and even those that tend to be found nearby, but grasshoppers and crickets are more like "it is summer" to me, so that must be more social/cultural.

At least until you get to the "they want to turn us all vegan and make us eat bugs" people, who are just working their picky eating into a globalist conspiracy.

Jedit posted:

*sigh*

I think that one slid past, probably because it was written down.
When a woman has a Dictaphone Glinner spends hours ranting at BT.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I find a larva on fresh veg, I'll just rinse it a bit more thoroughly. A snail on a mushroom in the forest, I'll just cut off the piece its snacking on. But a moth in my frozen Döner I probably wouldn't be too happy about

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Not to get all European supremacist but I think ingredients should be more of a declaration than an aspiration

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I think the thing that was missing from the moth stuffing story was how many moths. Maybe the stuffing was more moth than flour.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Microplastics posted:

If only we had a train network to match theirs, eh?

Oh I'd love to work on that network, I'm told they still do live line maintenance.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's odd that people'll get all squeamish about eating crickets or whatever but show them e.g. a southern Italian seafood dish with absolutely enormous shrimp that are all legs and wriggly antennae and they'll be delighted.

Nah I get really grossed out by shrimp

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pistol_Pete posted:

We have to get locusts for our bearded dragon, and I’m very often tempted to fry a few up and see what they’re like

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

bessantj posted:

Oh I'd love to work on that network, I'm told they still do live line maintenance.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Oxford spelling (also Oxford English Dictionary spelling, Oxford style, or Oxford English spelling) is a spelling standard, named after its use by the University of Oxford, that prescribes the use of British spelling in combination with the suffix -ize in words like realize and organization instead of -ise endings.

The belief that ‑ize is an exclusively North American variant is incorrect. The Oxford spelling affects about 200 verbs, and is favoured on etymological grounds, in that ‑ize corresponds more closely to the Greek root, ‑izo, of most ‑ize verbs.

I prefer -ize anyway; z should get more use.

Re moths; I've had them in a bag of flour and they make it taste vile. We may be doomed to a bug-eating future but I'll avoid those thanks.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Runcible Cat posted:

Re moths; I've had them in a bag of flour and they make it taste vile. We may be doomed to a bug-eating future but I'll avoid those thanks.

There's a particular kind of moth that was hell to get rid of. We had to seal away all food items like flour, crisp bread and such or they would lay eggs in there. Took a year of consistent killing to get rid of them. They got into the house via some birdseed. So we don't bring that in anymore.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Runcible Cat posted:

I'm revoking your spelling lizense.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lizense is a cross between incense and Liz Truss. You put it in a thurible and swing it about and it talks complete bollocks.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Their general track design is supposed to be better than ours as well. I've been told that their really old stuff that you get away from the big population centres can be worse than we have because they haven't upgraded it yet but working on the stuff around Tokyo would be really interesting.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

His Divine Shadow posted:

There's a particular kind of moth that was hell to get rid of. We had to seal away all food items like flour, crisp bread and such or they would lay eggs in there. Took a year of consistent killing to get rid of them. They got into the house via some birdseed. So we don't bring that in anymore.

Ha exact same experience. Bloody moth maggots crawling across my ceiling.
Bird seed lives in the shed now.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The thing about eating insects is that they’re fine. Nothing offensive if you don’t care about the idea of it. They’re just not as a nice as something like popcorn instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Guavanaut posted:

Lizense is a cross between incense and Liz Truss. You put it in a thurible and swing it about and it talks complete bollocks.

they had some at the christening I was at last week

vicar was all "lettuce pray"

...I will see myself out