Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Rocky

When Rocky first goes out for a jog, and can't make it up the stairs, I feel like the entire movie could just as easily pivot. It doesn't actually need to be about boxing, it just happens to be about a boxer. At that point, you're so drawn along with these characters, Rocky could just as easily see some sort of set back, fail, and learn to do something else. And you'd trust and follow along just as well.

I love the build up of Apollo. When we first learn of him, Rocky is defending his honor as a fighter. Then we see Apollo think up the fight concept, and he feels somewhat genuine, that he believes in this all-american concept. Then later we see his business meetings where he doesn't take Rocky's potential seriously. And then finally, to shatter any good faith you may have still held in him, he shows up to the fight in his silly costume, joking around. We start in Rocky's shoes, and respect the man, and end the movie feeling just as betrayed, that Rocky needs to fight against this man acting like a clown.

The awkward ice rink date is great. Rocky and Adrian feel so sweet once they are really together.

I love Rocky kicking Mickey out of his home and rejecting him, and then running after him and making up without any dialogue.

elf help book fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

herculon posted:

RIP Ryan O’Neal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8_tJ6rVPyM

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

Rocky

When Rocky first goes out for a jog, and can't make it up the stairs, I feel like the entire movie could just as easily pivot. It doesn't actually need to be about boxing, it just happens to be about a boxer. At that point, you're so drawn along with these characters, Rocky could just as easily see some sort of set back, fail, and learn to do something else. And you'd trust and follow along just as well.

I love the build up of Apollo. When we first learn of him, Rocky is defending his honor as a fighter. Then we see Apollo think up the fight concept, and he feels somewhat genuine, that he believes in this all-american concept. Then later we see his business meetings where he doesn't take Rocky's potential seriously. And then finally, to shatter any good faith you may have still held in him, he shows up to the fight in his silly costume, joking around. We start in Rocky's shoes, and respect the man, and end the movie feeling just as betrayed, that Rocky needs to fight against this man acting like a clown.

The awkward ice rink date is great. Rocky and Adrian feel so sweet once they are really together.

I love Rocky kicking Mickey out of his home and rejecting him, and then running after him and making up without any dialogue.

creed getting knocked on his rear end and instantly going to take it seriously mode is one of the best moments in the movie. idk creed is definitely the villain but he's also not a bad guy, just arrogant and once rocky knocks him down that goes away

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fungah! posted:

creed getting knocked on his rear end and instantly going to take it seriously mode is one of the best moments in the movie. idk creed is definitely the villain but he's also not a bad guy, just arrogant and once rocky knocks him down that goes away

yeah making Creed just a champion who thought he was going to have an easy time with an amateur was way better at grounding the movie than trying to up the emotional stakes by making him an rear end in a top hat that needed to be taken down a peg or something and i'm glad Stallone didn't felt for putting that on the script

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Rocky: A stone-cold classic. Actually my first time seeing it, it's one of those movies that permeates the pop culture atmosphere so much I kind of felt like I had seen it without actually ever watching it, but I was wrong as it's a much different film than I expected. It had a ton of heart, Stallone is super likable in the role and you're just always rooting for him and his romance with Adrian is very sweet and maybe my favorite film romance. Carl Weathers made a fun foil to him and, as others have noted, seeing him go from being cocky and showboating and unsportsmanlike, just toying with Rocky, to actually taking him seriously after getting knocked on his rear end is such a good moment for both characters. I love the ending too, having him win would have just been typical Hollywood schmaltz but having him technically lose the fight but just getting in there and giving it his all and being the first person to make it to the end of the match with Creed which is its own victory is just so much more profound. And despite that, and already knowing going into it that he was going to lose, the moments where he manages to fight back and go on the offensive are still so exciting that I was rooting for him to win anyway.

Great movie, I'll have to check out some of the others and the Creeds. Maybe finally watch Raging Bull, the 4K of which has been sitting on my entertainment center for months now and I've just never gotten to.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yeah rocky is one of those movies that was so over exposed that i think it still surprised people when they actually watch it and see how secondary the boxing story is

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I meant to mention it in my first post but (spoilers for the very ending, like the last 10 seconds of the movie) I love that whether he won or lost the fight is so secondary and unimportant that the announcement of Creed’s victory is almost drowned out entirely by Rocky and Adrian professing their love for each other, completely not listening, to the point that even the viewer can barely hear it.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Punished Chuck posted:

I meant to mention it in my first post but (spoilers for the very ending, like the last 10 seconds of the movie) I love that whether he won or lost the fight is so secondary and unimportant that the announcement of Creed’s victory is almost drowned out entirely by Rocky and Adrian professing their love for each other, completely not listening, to the point that even the viewer can barely hear it.

that poo poo makes me cry fr

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

it's so great, best part of th ending

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rocky

chalk another tally up for someone watching it for the first time and going in with high expectations via cultural osmosis, and not only were they met they were exceeded. probably going to be parroting a lot from the previous posts here but w/e. Stallone is of course fantastic both as acting as a big dumb oaf who still means right even if it can land him in trouble, and as the scriptwriter, hard to believe this was his first-ever screenwriting credit considering how well-rounded it is. thought it would revolve a lot more around him like rising up the ranks to end up challenging Apollo but was pleasantly surprised it wasn't that, just a story about a guy barely making ends meet and down on his luck who gets a shot of the lifetime and takes it. wonderful self-contained character piece and character arc with Rocky, every scene feels like it fleshes out more and more how he's at heart just an awkward Joe Schmoe trying his best, the ice skating date really stuck out the most to me with that. have to give credit to Burgess Meredith and Carl Weathers too, both were great. especially loved Apollo resting on his laurels the entire time and coming into the match in flashy pomp only to get a rude awakening that this isn't a show, it's a sport, one that can really gently caress you up. literally gasped when Rocky insisted on having his eyelid sliced open so he could actually see Apollo, just an all-around brutal final bout that ended in the way i knew beforehand was going to happen thanks to years of spoilers, but framed in such a way that i couldn't look away. actually pretty much the entire movie my eyes were glued to the screen even though there's maybe 20 minutes of action in it total including the epic training montage. just a wonderful classic i'm glad to have finally watched

9/10

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Rocky is a treasure and one of the things I’ve used to break the city name sports team sportsball mindset in two different people which is a great testament to the power of cinema vs obnoxious nerds

10/10

E: having said this that banner popped up smh

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Rocky

As far as sports movies go it's second to none, and it's just an incredible movie through and through. There's something very authentic about it and maybe it's because it's an underdog movie made by underdogs and it supercharges the audience to root for Rocky to just show that he's worth something, anything, to the people around him. The one criticism I have of the movie it's that it spends a really large amount of the time on Rocky and Adrian's romance which is the least interesting of all the little character arcs. Rocky's relationships with Paulie, his manager, and hell, even Gazzo are more interesting and reflect more onto what kind of person Rocky is/wants to become. 9/10

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lmfao "i wont let that happen no more about the thumb"

copy
Jul 26, 2007

man this movie has a fuckin heart

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Rocky

The best Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years movie

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Rocky: 5/5 this movie's the best. I dont think i've ever actually watched it before, or if i did i was so young i don't even remember it. love his entire little world. rocky shouting at his bathroom door about how much he needed mick/anybody ten years ago was loving powerful lol. and then the end of the movie where everything is just drowned out noise as they announce the winner of the fight and all that you can clearly discern is rocky ignoring the reporters to yell for adrian. gently caress man this owned

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

What’s the new movie?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

herculon posted:

What’s the new movie?

Rocky II

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Ive seen Rocky a couple times before but I forgot a lot of the details. was cracking up when Adrian first visits his apartment and every other shot there's a huge knife stuck into a wall you haven't seen before. like everyone else said this movie excels at the portrayals of the characters and their relationships. its such a huge contrast between the way Stallone wrote himself vs. like, Schwarzenegger or more currently Dwayne Johnson. Rocky is this big lug who's too dumb to be more than a loan shark collector but he's also self aware enough to know he doesn't stand a chance in the big fight, and he's likeable enough but other characters don't really think he's cool. everyone else gives a great performance too, it's a real ensemble cast. as mentioned Weathers' instant change in demeanor after Creed gets knocked down is the absolute peak of the film. great movie, and it's really cool to read everyone's reaction seeing it for the first time

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Rocky reads a book in that one

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

copy made this week's pick

The Fifth Element - dir. by Luc Besson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrEf8XHToGI

quote:

In the colorful future, a cab driver unwittingly becomes the central figure in the search for a legendary cosmic weapon to keep Evil and Mr. Zorg at bay.

This movie will expire December 25th.

The Fifth Element can be watched for free on Pluto and Youtube with ads.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Great pick. Too bad Bruce Willis doesn’t remember it

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

lmao gently caress ya

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

lol cool

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Collateral still kicks rear end. Love the scene where Foxx goes to get the back up files on the targets and goes into tough guy mode

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

collateral - kicks rear end in a big way, tom cruise and jamie foxx are so fuckin good. love all of jamie fox little mannerisms, all the little nervous ticks and pump-ups, loved his big speech as he crashes the cab, loved tht he started to take on vincents speech patterns when he needed to psych himself up. vincent is so fuckin evil lol, just a cold-blooded killer with pretensions of being somethin else but if you get in his way he'll kill you fuckin dead. never seen this movie and it's super good,. oinly complaint, all the stuff with the cops, the fbi, and javier bardem is cool but it ends up goin nowhere at all, kind of wish it wasnt even in the movie. rather have it just be max and vincent playing against each other instead of havin all these guys built up just for them to get iced the first time they actually connect with th action. ps i loved the little mention of the other cabbie who vincent borrowed before just getting killed offhandedly, 100% thats would have happened with max if the night had gone to plan. real fun movie, good pick. ★★★

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Collateral - Tom Cruise is loving aces in this, he really should play villains more often, really. Jamie Foxx also gives a good performance but it's Cruise that makes the movie. It's my second favorite Mann after Heat and even so it's a close second.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Collateral - this movie rules and holds up so well imo. both cruise and foxx are awesome in their roles. such a good story all the way through.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the fifth element

been meaning to do a rewatch because i saw it in th window of a bar walkin home on sunday and was reminded how much it rules. fuckin cool movie, i always feel like th endings a little rushed but the worldbuilding is great, all th e actings great, the cartooniness works instead of bein annoying most of the time. it just doesnt feel like any other movie in a way that really kicks rear end. bruce willis, milla jovovich, gary oldman, and th priest ftw. the opera scene is one of the coolest action scenes in movies. i rreally like the first half hour or so of worldbuilding a lot and all the set/costume designs are so sick. real good pick. knockin off a half star because luc bessons a straight up pedophile and theres a couple jokes that annoy me. ★★★½

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

moi country let me marry a 14 year old hon hon hon
                                                                              \

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Fungah! posted:

\

lmao

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fungah! posted:

\

Lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

the fifth element

been meaning to do a rewatch because i saw it in th window of a bar walkin home on sunday and was reminded how much it rules. fuckin cool movie, i always feel like th endings a little rushed but the worldbuilding is great, all th e actings great, the cartooniness works instead of bein annoying most of the time. it just doesnt feel like any other movie in a way that really kicks rear end. bruce willis, milla jovovich, gary oldman, and th priest ftw. the opera scene is one of the coolest action scenes in movies. i rreally like the first half hour or so of worldbuilding a lot and all the set/costume designs are so sick. real good pick. knockin off a half star because luc bessons a straight up pedophile and theres a couple jokes that annoy me. ★★★½

The protagonist fucks a girl who was literally born yesterday lol

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

collateral love this movie so much. it just oozes cool and tension from every pore. jamie foxx does a wonderful job playing off of tom cruise's vincent, but cruise is so electric in this role you can't help but be glued to watching his every move. i really do wish they did more with the feds subplot i think it felt a bit tacked on, and only served as a sort of plot exposition to explain why vincent is doing this job. was pretty funny for ruffalo to just get blown away still, great movie, one of manns best for sure 4.5/5

also re: the statham cameo mann's left it up to the viewer to decide, but the screenwriter for collateral and statham have both said its a nod to his character in the transporter and they like to think its the same universe

the fifth element good fun sci-fi. everything looks so cool to look at, the costumes, the characters. loved deebo as the earth president. its cartoony and silly but not so much that its cringe. *todd howard voice* it just works
agreeing with fungah about knocking some off the rating because luc besson is a big pedophile 3.5/5

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

lmfao

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

I got the tude now posted:

hon hon hon

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fungah! posted:

\

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

\

lol

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
the fifth element

what a ride
all i knew ab it was that bruce willis was in it, chris tucker played some extragavant weirdo, and what the fifth element actually was. got spoiled on that a long time ago somehow lol never forgot it cause its so stupid
just said streets of fire was a movie that was too cheesy for me. this is even cheesier but i somehow liked it. how about that
reminiscent of speed racer cause it just feels like a live action cartoon and i revere it as such
for how retarded and messy (but funny) the script is, they went all out w/ special effects, costumes, sets and cast choices. its so much fun, jan
how and why did this get made?
4/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

collateral's fuckin wild so far. just like thirty minutes in and foxx is killing it

e: getting a vibe like High Noon from this one after the dude mugs him and gets shot. feels like the town being so anti-human is gonna play a big theme in this film.

copy fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 15, 2023