Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I haven't yet! I watched the first episode but I tend to take Twin Peaks slowly and savor it as the desire to bask in it comes over me. The next Lynch thing on my list in the near future is watching Inland Empire next month.

It's weird. I ate up all of Twin Peaks in like a week of binging and haven't watched the Return or been interested in it even though it gets rave reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Fire Walk With Me is my favorite Lynch and one of my favorite films period but I'm still conflicted over a lot of The Return. There's parts that I absolutely adore and then a whole lot just doesn't do anything for me. I love every Dougie Jones moment, hated everything that was done with Audrey, and I've been run out of other parts of the internet for saying that!!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I imagine FWWM has aged well, and it was more disliked at the time because people had all these unanswered questions and instead got a prequel

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

I imagine FWWM has aged well, and it was more disliked at the time because people had all these unanswered questions and instead got a prequel

Maybe not unanswered questions in terms of like, lore answers or literal answers as to what means what, but yea people knew that the show had ended with Cooper stuck in the Red Room and they wanted to see what would happen next. So I guess it's understandable that people were frustrated when they didn't get to see that.

I'm guessing that if you go back and look at reviews of the time though there would at least be professional reviewers who recognized the top-tier performance that Lee was giving in FWWM.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

It's really funny to me because I just watched FWWM last year after taking, like, two years to watch the series between 2020-2022 and in my view it answered every single question I might have had. It contextualizes so much and it's so bold to do it in the way it did. A wonderful film. But I know I'm one of those people who just get Lynch's emotional wavelength when I watch his stuff and that's not going to resonate with everyone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It answers every possible question you could have about what happened to Laura, I think people just wanted to see if Coop would escape the Red Room and kick Bob's rear end and they didn't get to see that.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Imagine you're a Showtime executive and Lynch is laying out his plan for the big Twin Peaks return after 25 years.

"So yea we're gonna have Kyle back but he's actually not gonna play Cooper for like 6 of the 8 episodes. Instead he'll play a goofy slapstick type character who bumbles around solving people's problems!"

HELLOOO-OOO-OOOOOOOOOO

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Holy gently caress, Godzilla Minus One is incredible. Probably top 3 Godzilla movie, up there with the original and Shin Godzilla.

Proper goosebumps when the theme finally kicked in.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crescent Wrench posted:

HELLOOO-OOO-OOOOOOOOOO

I admit to a little bit of frustration when The Return first aired because I was impatient about getting Coop back but when I watched it a second time that whole storyline was endlessly entertaining. So many great moments, and Jim Belushi was hilarious too.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Holy gently caress, Godzilla Minus One is incredible. Probably top 3 Godzilla movie, up there with the original and Shin Godzilla.

Absolutely one of my favorite films of the year. Not only was Godzilla kinda fuckin scary but the movie had some real heart. I'd like to catch it at least one more time in the theaters.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Poor Things dethroned Godzilla and Late Night With The Devil for my fave of 2023 but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Has anyone ever watched Lars von Trier's Kingdom? A friend of mine has been bugging me to try it, comparing it to Twin Peaks, swearing that I'll love it, and while I do really like his films, I'm a little leery of three whole seasons of von Trier.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I didn't really like it, but the seasons are only 4 episodes long so it's not a huge time sink to figure out if you like it.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

Poor Things dethroned Godzilla and Late Night With The Devil for my fave of 2023 but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Poor Things was great, I didn't post about it in here because, some riffing on Frankenstein aside, it's not too horror adjacent like some of his other films. But it was really cool to see him expanding his style without sacrificing any of his oddness.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Leatherhead posted:

Has anyone ever watched Lars von Trier's Kingdom? A friend of mine has been bugging me to try it, comparing it to Twin Peaks, swearing that I'll love it, and while I do really like his films, I'm a little leery of three whole seasons of von Trier.

It's very Danish.

Whether that's a bad or good thing is your choice.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Crescent Wrench posted:

Poor Things was great, I didn't post about it in here because, some riffing on Frankenstein aside, it's not too horror adjacent like some of his other films. But it was really cool to see him expanding his style without sacrificing any of his oddness.

Yeah, I feel that, but it's got intense body horror, Frankenstein vibes, and Willem Dafoe. That's horror baby

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I admit to a little bit of frustration when The Return first aired because I was impatient about getting Coop back but when I watched it a second time that whole storyline was endlessly entertaining. So many great moments, and Jim Belushi was hilarious too.

Yeah I really need a rewatch, so much tension watching it week-to-week not knowing where it’s going or if we were gonna get any of the old Twin Peaks feeling. Belushi was great but the Michael Cera cameo loving slayed me lol

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Leatherhead posted:

Stephen King had a remake called Kingdom Hospital which is a bit of a mixed bag but pretty good, if you find it too Danish

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah Poor Things was incredible. Just the set design and costuming puts everything else this year to shame. Incredibly strong year for movies.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Opopanax posted:

Stephen King had a remake called Kingdom Hospital which is a bit of a mixed bag but pretty good, if you find it too Danish

Every few years someone mentions Kingdom Hospital and I remember that I watched the entire thing but that's the only thing I can remember.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I had fun with Kingdom Hospital. It was silly and had an anteater, and had a fantastic theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R45b6GNSio

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just got this

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is Poor Things really weird? The Favourite was good but I want Sacred Deer/Lobster Lanthramos. I want weird

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Just got this

Lol

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Opopanax posted:

Is Poor Things really weird? The Favourite was good but I want Sacred Deer/Lobster Lanthramos. I want weird

Its solidly 60% weirder by volume than any of those. It is deeply, deeply weird.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Its solidly 60% weirder by volume than any of those. It is deeply, deeply weird.

gently caress yeah

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

flashy_mcflash posted:

:sickos:

Seeing it next Friday. Can't wait!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

It's definitely swinging more back toward the weirder end of the spectrum. It's the most visually stylish film he's done, especially early on with the black-and-white first act and really extreme wide-angle lens and stuff. And then the color palettes are just so vibrant, it's great.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

psyched for this, the start of Emma Stone's global domination. she is so good in The Curse it's terrifying

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

At the showing I was at, soon as the music from the original kicked in, we collectively lost our minds. It was a beautiful callback.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Tremors 6 and it wasn't very good. Would I have gotten more out of it if I had seen Tremors 5 and the introduction of Jamie Kennedy's character first?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The original Godzilla is my next assigned viewing in the "SHAMEFUL: The greatest movies you've never seen" thread (free plug), so I'm thinking of trying to make it a quasi double bill and watch it and then go catch Minus One in the theater.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

I watched Tremors 6 and it wasn't very good. Would I have gotten more out of it if I had seen Tremors 5 and the introduction of Jamie Kennedy's character first?

I liked Tremors 5 a lot more than 6 or 7. I really didn't enjoy 6 or 7 at all. So it might be worth going back and checking 5 out just because it's possibly the last watchable movie in the series but I don't think it would change your opinion of 6.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Basebf555 posted:

I liked Tremors 5 a lot more than 6 or 7. I really didn't enjoy 6 or 7 at all. So it might be worth going back and checking 5 out just because it's possibly the last watchable movie in the series but I don't think it would change your opinion of 6.

7 isn't good either? But they replace Jamie Kennedy with Jon Heder!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

7 isn't good either? But they replace Jamie Kennedy with Jon Heder!

I hated 7 because I felt they completely hosed with the Burt character and changed him to the point that he wasn't Burt anymore. He lost all of his charm.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tremors 5 through 7 can die. I hate Jamie Kennedy and what they did with Burt

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Holy poo poo Blumhouse shot a pilot for a new Tremors TV show starring Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward but multiple networks passed on it.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Tremors 7 is the only one I haven't seen, but I've only seen most of the sequels once and it's kind of a blur. I remember the protagonist slowly shifting to Burt by the third movie, then there's a prequel where it's the old west, and then eventually Jamie Kennedy shows up and maybe Burt's just in a hospital bed for a whole movie at one point?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Crescent Wrench posted:

Tremors 7 is the only one I haven't seen, but I've only seen most of the sequels once and it's kind of a blur. I remember the protagonist slowly shifting to Burt by the third movie, then there's a prequel where it's the old west, and then eventually Jamie Kennedy shows up and maybe Burt's just in a hospital bed for a whole movie at one point?

Kevin Bacon dips after the first, so Fred Ward is the main guy in the second with a new sidekick and Burt having a more prominent role. The Ward didn't come back for the third so that's when Burt took over. The prequel was godawful so I didn't watch any more new Tremors content after that until tonight. Apparently Jamie Kennedy shows up as Burt's illegitimate son in the fifth movie.

In the sixth one Burt has a Graboid parasite so he does spend a lot of time in a hospital bed, but I think on some level they understood that Jamie Kennedy's character could not hold up the movie at all on his own so Burt gets out of the hospital bed basically every scene and then starts the next scene back in the bed. It's pretty bad.

Also Jamie Kennedy looks like he's maybe 10 years younger than Burt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gripweed posted:

Holy poo poo Blumhouse shot a pilot for a new Tremors TV show starring Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward but multiple networks passed on it.

Fred Ward has been dead for like a year but I can't believe they passed on this.