Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shiroc posted:

I'm not spreading a pathogen, I'm organizing a general slow down strike to take down capital.

Thread title, TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

tuyop posted:

you need to buy a life insurance policy for your mother and tell her you’ve done so.

I’d tell her you’re going to need some help recouping her medical bills after her endless covid infections take bits and pieces of her until she’s gone and even the bones have been picked clean by the nursing homes and hospitals that neglected her to death.

oh unless the company will take care of all that when she gets sick from them and needs help! then it might be close to reasonable to take on the risk for them.

don't post deranged stuff like this man. it's not going to win any hearts and minds when someone tells you they're going to a Christmas party and you freak out and start talking about gambling on them dying alone and penniless. also you wouldn't actually say it anyway no balls

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

if you're in boston watch out lol

quote:

[2:14PM] The patient who [redacted for privacy] has super active TB
[2:14PM] Lol
[2:14PM] He's had symptoms for months so he's probably given it to everyone he knows

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Soap Scum posted:

Greatest country (to be a virus or bacteria in) in the world!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

don't post deranged stuff like this man. it's not going to win any hearts and minds when someone tells you they're going to a Christmas party and you freak out and start talking about gambling on them dying alone and penniless. also you wouldn't actually say it anyway no balls

yeah you’re right, any day now our loved ones will be convinced to keep themselves safe with our well-reasoned arguments and journal articles and gentle encouragement. that’s exactly what it took to get them to this spot in the first place, after all!

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Hungry Squirrel posted:

Is.... Is this a thing?

Lol nah, not yet but as some others said there was an article about Pax seeming to work on the mystery dog illness. If Pax-rover-id was a thing there would have already been a 10 page detail about the ethics of doing a Scooby Doo voice during a telehealth and how Huckleberry Hound having long COVID is this thread’s fault, specifically.

tuyop posted:

you need to buy a life insurance policy for your mother and tell her you’ve done so.

I’d tell her you’re going to need some help recouping her medical bills after her endless covid infections take bits and pieces of her until she’s gone and even the bones have been picked clean by the nursing homes and hospitals that neglected her to death.

oh unless the company will take care of all that when she gets sick from them and needs help! then it might be close to reasonable to take on the risk for them.

She’s actually pretty good most of the time! She’s even up to date on the boosters. Just dumb about social pressure. I’ll probably take a bit less of a scorched earth approach but I appreciate the intensity

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Soap Scum posted:

Sounds like he's had it long enough for it to evolve toward mildness

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

tuyop posted:

yeah you’re right, any day now our loved ones will be convinced to keep themselves safe with our well-reasoned arguments and journal articles and gentle encouragement. that’s exactly what it took to get them to this spot in the first place, after all!

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Sounds like he's had it long enough for it to evolve toward mildness

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

tuyop posted:

losing my senses to this is so terrifying, I hope it keeps improving for you. Are you doing any of that smell training stuff?

I'm not but I pick up random spices and what have you and see if I can smell them and by how much. It's encouraging to get anything, and so far smells and taste are attenuated, not altered, as in the strength of the signal is only issue, nothing is different than it should be otherwise.

This is day 6 or 7. Pretty much the only major symptom is the loss of smell/taste. Fatigue levels are normal, but I don't leave the apartment or do much more than sit at my desk or cook something. Never had a fever, nose stuff stopped by day 3. I have to drive 20 miles, in a major city, just to go to a clinic to get a lovely antigen test so work can see I'm sick because I work for a health system and twain are definitely meeting in terms of my health, it's the same EMR. Every such clinic I can visit for a COVID test is at least 17 miles away through bad traffic, and I'm centrally located.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Shiroc posted:

I'm not spreading a pathogen, I'm organizing a general slow down strike to take down capital.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
The most recent week of sequences for Washington State show an overwhelmingly large proportion of HV* and only a spattering of JN* which is unexpected. I took a peak at the patient metadata and all the ones of HV are listed as "Cluster/Outbreak investigation" which explains why. No facility type or ages are listed (ie, I don't know if it's a school/hospital/long-term care/barracks/prison, etc.).

Has anyone heard anything about this? It'd be from the first week of December, at least 20 people were tested and sequenced.

Zantie has issued a correction as of 21:21 on Dec 15, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I saw an article about HV being prominent somewhere but i assumed it was way behind or something given JNs prominence elsewhere.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
If our parents were drunk driving every night and calling us from behind the wheel yelling "hey, we're wasted right now and driving, look, no hands" would it be psychotic to tell them they're going to get themselves and others killed / maimed? Or would we dance around it and maybe once every couple months work up the nerve to tell them "hey, sorry to bring it up, but I heard that seatbelts are helpful, aww geeze" with the utmost decorum?

We're 4 years into this, and part of why we're in this situation is because there's zero pushback on people's stupid, reckless, dangerous, and quite frankly psychotic behavior. It's more socially acceptable to run ten people over with your car than for 1 of those 10 people to shout "please don't run me over" at the driver speeding towards them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

tuyop posted:

all you're going to convince them of with unhinged crap like that is that you really are as far off the deep end as they suspect. you can protect yourself and express polite concern and that's it.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

all you're going to convince them of with unhinged crap like that is that you really are as far off the deep end as they suspect. you can protect yourself and express polite concern and that's it.

Yeah replacing something that doesn't work with something else that doesn't work isn't going to get a lot done, and burning bridges saying psycho poo poo in the process ultimately just puts everyone in a worse spot

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

all you're going to convince them of with unhinged crap like that is that you really are as far off the deep end as they suspect.

how do you know this?

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

silicone thrills posted:

I saw an article about HV being prominent somewhere but i assumed it was way behind or something given JNs prominence elsewhere.

The ratio for that week will totally change with backfill. As more "regular" samples get sequenced the ratio of HV will drop, they just pushed a bunch to the front of the sequencing queue because they felt whatever caused the outbreak was urgent enough to check.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

tuyop posted:

how do you know this?

how do I know that telling someone you're taking out a life insurance policy on them because they went outside is not going to make them think you are mentally well-adjusted, particularly when they are already predisposed to being concerned about you for taking precautions they and seemingly everyone around them see as unnecessary?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Dr. Dick Zout For Harambe is back with another Just The Flu Bro study (except covid is obviously so, so much worse)

https://twitter.com/DickZoutman/status/1735491894816239705
oh, this is some premium Al-Aly and co doing another VA database analysis in quite a bit of detail. i don't think anyone posted details? although there's nothing that will be a surprise to anyone here

tl,dr: hospitalised COVID is worse than hospitalised influenza regardless of vaccination status or variant. more than 50% of the healthcare burden from hospitalised COVID and influenza is from the post-acute phase. COVID is best thought of as multisystemic, and influenza as pulmonary.

Xie, Choi, and Al-Aly (2023) - Long-term outcomes following hospital admission for COVID-19 versus seasonal influenza: a cohort study

so: VA database study, n=81280, comparing, in a group of patients hospitalised with either influenza or COVID, occurrence of each of a pre-specified set of health outcomes for a period up to 540 days (18 months) after infection (counting only presence or absence of that outcome, not number of occurrences). the data is split into acute and post-acute phases - acute is up to 30 days after infection, post-acute is 30 days up to 18 months. the cohort was split into vaccinated / unvaccinated for both influenza and COVID; COVID patients were also split into pre-delta / delta / omicron subgroups (by timing rather than PCR). comparisons were made between all influenza subgroups and all COVID subgroups.

they looked at the risks / burdens of: death, readmission, admission to intensive care, 94 health outcomes, 10 organ systems (grouping of the health outcomes), and all organ systems overall

results:
  • risk of death: HR 1.51 for COVID compared to influenza; 8.62 excess deaths per 100 for COVID cf. influenza
  • COVID has increased risk of hospital admission
  • COVID has increased risk of admission to intensive care
  • risk of 94 pre-specified individual health outcomes: COVID had greater risk in 68% (64/94) individual health outcomes, influeza had greater risk in only 6.4% (6/94)
  • organ systems: COVID had greater risk than influenza across: cardiovascular, coagulation and haematological, fatigue, gastrointenstinal, kidney, mental health, metabolic, musculoskeletal, neurological; pulmonary was a greater risk in influenza than COVID
  • cumulative rate of adverse health outcomes across all organ systems: 615.18 per 100 persons in COVID, 536.90 per 100 in flu, giving covid a 78.72 excess per 100 persons, about 14% increase
  • DALY across all organ systems: 287.43 per 100 persons in COVID, 242.66 per 100 persons in influenza, so 45.03 higher DALY per 100 in COVID than influenza, around 18% increase
COVID is pretty much worse throughout; also, these findings are consistent across vaccination status and variant group (pre-delta, delta, and omicron)

per outcome there's a breakdown of hazard ratios over time here, red is COVID giving a greater risk and blue is influenza giving a greater risk. grey is non-significant

then you have the cumulative rates and DALYs given over time

in both COVID and flu, there is a higher burden on health in the post-acute phase than the acute disease (so >50% of burden), and COVID has higher burden on health across all non-pulmonary organ systems than flu in both acute and post-acute phase:

quote:

Over the entire duration of follow-up, hospital admission for COVID-19 in the pre-delta, delta, and omicron eras was associated with a higher risk of death, a higher risk of adverse health outcomes in each organ system except for the pulmonary system, adverse health outcomes across all organ systems, and hospital readmission and admission to intensive care compared to hospital admission for seasonal influenza (appendix 2 supplementary tables 10, 11, and 12). Analyses of the distributional contribution of acute and post-acute disease by era suggested that across all three eras examined, the disease burden was greater in the postacute phase of the infection than in the acute phase; except for the pulmonary system, the COVID-19 cohort had a higher burden of disease across all other organ systems than the seasonal influenza cohort in both the acute and post-acute phase of infection (appendix 2 supplementary tables 13 and 14).
this chart shows the cumulative rates of outcomes for each organ and all organ systems combined, splitting by acute or post-acute phases per outcome, by disease and between diseases based on rates per 100 persons

and similarly, outcomes split using their DALYs per 100 persons

they also emphasise the multisystemic nature of COVID compared to influenza

quote:

Our results also suggest that while both viruses exact a substantial toll of health loss across multiple organ systems, our comparative evaluation of the risks of adverse health outcomes across ten organ systems suggests that seasonal influenza is more of a respiratory virus than SARS-CoV-2 and that the latter is a more multisystemic virus than seasonal influenza. ... We also show that both viruses yield a higher burden of health loss in the post-acute phase of illness than their respective acute phase, suggesting that focusing solely on the acute toll of these viruses obscures a larger portion of their overall effect and they should be conceptualised as infections leading to a high risk and burden of acute disease and even higher long-term risks of health loss.

weaknesses of the study: the big ones are the cohort being fairly specific (older, white, male) and they only looked at hospitalised patients, so as always the results shouldn't really be taken as generalisable to mild disease (although imo it seems reasonable to believe COVID will still be more severe even if precise numbers differ). also there may be relevant health outcomes not being looked for.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

how do I know that telling someone you're taking out a life insurance policy on them because they went outside is not going to make them think you are mentally well-adjusted, particularly when they are already predisposed to being concerned about you for taking precautions they and seemingly everyone around them see as unnecessary?

ah yes, that’s what happened here. cool that we’re all operating in reality.

but seriously you simply cannot get what you want by asking for that which you don’t want. the way you’re talking is consultancy brained as hell.

if you want your mother to be safe from a pandemic, or any other hazard she seems to be obliviously marching into, you cannot keep her safe by:

1. “protecting your relationship”. unless the hazard is to the relationship, it doesn’t really make sense as the primary goal

Cup Runneth Over posted:

win[ning] […] hearts and minds
by lying and downplaying the hazard
3. doing that which has already failed to keep her safe.

so new poo poo is in order. maybe some intense poo poo. sounds like you’re saying this won’t work because of the strawman you’ve made up doing it, and that’s it. I’m sure OP will be very glad if they take your advice to do nothing and bad poo poo happens to people close to them. very smart and progressive leftist position here.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Please don’t give Paxlovid to dogs lol… their livers are very sensitive and I don’t think there has actually been any significant safety studies of nirmatrelvir in canines.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Nobody here is giving Paxlovid to dogs for mystery dog flu or covid or anything else.

A vet gave a dog Paxlovid for the mystery dog disease because the vet figured the dog would die anyway so there wasn’t much to lose. That’s what people are riffing on, nobody here is giving it to dogs.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

tuyop posted:

ah yes, that’s what happened here. cool that we’re all operating in reality.

but seriously you simply cannot get what you want by asking for that which you don’t want. the way you’re talking is consultancy brained as hell.

if you want your mother to be safe from a pandemic, or any other hazard she seems to be obliviously marching into, you cannot keep her safe by:

1. “protecting your relationship”. unless the hazard is to the relationship, it doesn’t really make sense as the primary goal

by lying and downplaying the hazard
3. doing that which has already failed to keep her safe.

so new poo poo is in order. maybe some intense poo poo. sounds like you’re saying this won’t work because of the strawman you’ve made up doing it, and that’s it. I’m sure OP will be very glad if they take your advice to do nothing and bad poo poo happens to people close to them. very smart and progressive leftist position here.

if you want your mother to be safe then you can't keep her safe by making her write you off as a crazy person acting like a loving nutjob. also obviously I'm not quoting the US Military in a sincere and unironic manner. if you want people to listen to you then you need to gain their trust, and acting erratic and over-the-top tends to alienate people.

how about instead of telling her that if she doesn't mask at her Christmas party she's going to bankrupt you with medical bills and DIE IN AGONY, you just take her aside or call her up and say, "hey, I've been hearing a lot about a jump in COVID infections lately, and doctors talking about awful lingering effects from catching it. have you gotten your booster shot this winter? it would make me feel a lot better and less anxious if I knew you were wearing a good mask to that holiday party, I care about you and I don't want you to get sick."

but of course OP is also free to go with "hey, I took out a life insurance policy on you, mom. I'm going to need the help paying off your medical bills when you get COVID 15 times starting at that Christmas party because you didn't wear a mask, and the nursing home sends me the huge debt after it's finished neglecting you to death as you wither away from PASC. oh, but maybe your work will take care of all that for me?? *rolls eyes* in that case I guess it makes sense to take that risk for them." that seems like it could also improve her opinion of you almost 4 years into the pandemic, sure.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

tuyop posted:

how do you know this?

i read your post and my immediate instinct was that this tread is "echo-chambering" people into insanity / agoraphobia and needs to be closed immediately. i promise you i am not alone. and i may in fact be right. :tipshat:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
dude we just had a link in the last few pages of a French teenager dying before our eyes from this poo poo. why is this:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

improve her opinion of you almost 4 years into the pandemic, sure.

so high in your mind at this point?

I also don’t think op was posting some kind of gimmick where they say everything suggested immediately to their own mother without reflection or changes. what is wrong with you?

the OP here is asking for things to say to help their mother. I posted an intense possibility to reflect the gravity of the situation. your advice seems to point to the most important thing being keeping the mom happy with the op and in good vibes, rather than safe from the disease killing millions worldwide. that’s weird as hell.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

tuyop posted:

what is wrong with you?

see, this is exactly the kind of self-reflection I think would be good for you. meditate on that question for a while (fake edit: like say the next 24 hours) and figure out what motivates you to post like you're going to melt down in a few months and get perma'd.

Smythe posted:

i read your post and my immediate instinct was that this tread is "echo-chambering" people into insanity / agoraphobia and needs to be closed immediately. i promise you i am not alone. and i may in fact be right. :tipshat:

I for one think this thread is a valuable resource and should remain open

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This is a fyad lite subforum. You can post goatse inline and use slurs. However there is one rule which must be followed at all times; do not suggest buying life insurance.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

tuyop posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this is the kind of poo poo that keeps me away from this thread. Occasionally come back for good info then the most nihilistic poo poo posted. Christ.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Smythe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
by god, that's another SAD thread's music

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Puplovid

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

In other news I'll be getting my Novavax this weekend. That ~200-box of the good Auras I bought in like late 2020 seems almost bottomless but I am definitely gonna re-up if I ever manage to get through it, they have served me well

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Thread echo chambering hard when one person makes bad posts, other people argue with them about the bad posts and everyone else ignores it because they don't want to deal with it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Shiroc posted:

Thread echo chambering hard when one person makes bad posts, other people argue with them about the bad posts and everyone else ignores it because they don't want to deal with it.

The post goes in the moderators head and starts echoing around because there ain't nothing else in there.

Get wrecked mods

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
sesame -> test to treat still the ticket for US goons?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

no lube so what posted:

test to treat is completely free, so you might want to try that one first

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm morally pure because I already disavowed all past, present and future bad posts.

My electrolysis person's most recent covid bout was #5 and she's not doing great. It really sucks from both caring about her because she's nice and the selfish I need to get my loving electrolysis done part.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

no lube so what posted:

Test2Treat is easier than Sesame, I'd recommend it over the latter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shiroc posted:

i dont even disagree but you gotta be aware this one's been rolled out a few times already lol