Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

The best draft format of all time (not an official one, but one we drafted the hell out of at my local shop) was OG Mirrodin-Mirrodin-Legions. Mirrodin was so artifact-heavy nobody was really committed to a color after two packs, so you just went for every bomb you could find (there were plenty! Crystal Shard was literally unbeatable!) but notoriously light on creatures, a problem Legions solved while guaranteeing at least a few Gray Ogre types made it into your 40.

If I had infinity dollars I would make a cube of just MIR-MIR-LEG and draft it forever.

They should do fun stuff like this on arena. Also temporary constructed formats, like run "all the innistrad sets" constructed for a week or something.

e: replace the alchemy queues with this pls wotc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I got owned twice yesterday because I keep forgetting Mana Tithe is legal and I still haven't learned my lesson.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

triple inn was the best mostly because I was in my early 20s, life seemed like it could go anywhere, I had real disposable income for the first time and could draft a ton and had just rediscovered magic
I don't make the rules I just follow them

yeah :smith:

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I had a lot of fun with all of those formats. I think it can be interesting to see what feels like it holds up, but it's not that important. how the formats felt to draft at the time shouldn't get overwritten, I don't think.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hmm in a Jeskai control shell I wonder if I should run Unholy Heat instead of Lightning bolt? I forgot about this card because of the friggin Alchemy nerf lol. Even without surveil I pretty reliably have land, artifact, instant in the yard, sorcery is less likely but Expressive Iteration and cycling Lorien Revealed usually gets there.

In the early game 2 damage seems like enough for most creatures and if they're bigger I have 4 swords. meanwhile in the later game I have less ways to deal with resolved planeswalkers with 5-6 loyalty. I rarely if ever need to do face damage... seems like a better option

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 15, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lived the rip-an-Oko-with-monke dream, they Lapse'd their Oko, drew it, tapped out to cast it letting me throw down Winota for the win.

This poo poo rules

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

which humans is a timeless winota deck trying to cheat in?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

We'll see what happens with the new pack structures, but one thing I like that they moved to was the increased 'special guest' cards and higher chances for multiple rares per pack. MoM was a hoot to draft (imo!) partly because it wasn't uncommon for each pack to have 2-3 bombs in it, making it harder to go an entire draft w/o getting at least a couple decent ones. Khan's is not only lower powered from bad cards also not doing anything, but going 0-3 on decent rares really, really hurts comparatively.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, is there just like, an "anti-everything" timeless 4-color control deck?

Like, you need to be white for swords, leyline binding,

Black for bowmasters, thoughtsieze, drs, necropotence and maybe IoK and Fatal Push

Blue for spell pierce, brainstorm, teferi, memory lapse,

green for Uro, oko, minsc and boo, also drs, and probably delighted halfling.

Just a bunch of cards that seem like you'd have to be crazy not to play. Like everyone is playing bowmasters, spell pierce, swords, thoughtsieze, DRS, and memory lapse. And Oro, Oko, and Teferi are just super strong cards that are generically good. And we have fetches, shocks and triomes to make it all work. It seems like the deck kinda builds itself. Throw in some delighted halfling, since it has 2 toughness, and all your wincons are legendary.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

All the 4c piles I play against have been sans-B, Halflings into Minsc+Boo and Oko is an incredible little package. There's a Sultai value deck that's basically what you described just with none of the white cards.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

fadam posted:

All the 4c piles I play against have been sans-B, Halflings into Minsc+Boo and Oko is an incredible little package. There's a Sultai value deck that's basically what you described just with none of the white cards.

In that sort of deck, is Minsc and Boo the only red card you'd be playing? I've mostly been looking at timeless stuff just in this thread.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

resistentialism posted:

which humans is a timeless winota deck trying to cheat in?

Right now I have 4x Angrath's Marauders, 4x Agent of Treachery, and 1x of Aragron and Arwen, Wed and 1x Surrak and Goreclaw.

Paper Minsc and Boo helps a lot, really gives this deck depth. Feels less like a combo deck.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A Moose posted:

In that sort of deck, is Minsc and Boo the only red card you'd be playing? I've mostly been looking at timeless stuff just in this thread.

Probably some combination of Ragavan/Bolt etc. here’s a Sans-W version from Yuta that looks cool:

https://x.com/vendilion/status/1735272260116840793?s=46

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The legacy archetypes are like "Hot Bant" (plus R) and "Dark Bant" (plus B) so those could probably be ported over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4TF8EKMhws

Edit: oh i keep forgetting that there's stuff that's legal in Timeless that are banned in legacy lol. I guess the lack of pitch spells and wasteland is also format defining

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The legacy archetypes are like "Hot Bant" (plus R) and "Dark Bant" (plus B) so those could probably be ported over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4TF8EKMhws

Edit: oh i keep forgetting that there's stuff that's legal in Timeless that are banned in legacy lol. I guess the lack of pitch spells and wasteland is also format defining

man, hot bant is up there with wet jund in terms of names that make me smile

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

But really what are people putting into their BO3 sideboards? Looking at legacy lists is less helpful since they're usually all narrow hosers from very old sets that haven't even gotten a bonus sheet run, and the arena content creators are doing BO1 decks.

I guess there's Tormod's Crypt for delver and then.... is it just more a moderate approach like siding out creature removal for negate or disenchant effects in the relevant matchups or are there other good hate pieces on arena? Pithing Needle i suppose

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 15, 2023

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

But really what are people putting into their BO3 sideboards? Looking at legacy lists is less helpful since they're usually all narrow hosers from very old sets that haven't even gotten a bonus sheet run, and the arena content creators are doing BO1 decks.

I guess there's Tormod's Crypt for delver and then.... is it just more a moderate approach like siding out creature removal for negate or disenchant effects in the relevant matchups or are there other good hate pieces on arena?

It's a brand new format with lots of people trying lots of different decks so it's pretty hard to get a read on what's actually good or worth boarding for. What deck are you playing? Cheap removal, GY hate and cheap anti-blue interaction is a good, generic place to start until you get a better feel for what you want to tech against. If you can get away with it, Blood Moon is a beast against a decent chunk of what people are netdecking. My RB Breach board:

My UR Tempo board:

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 15, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I'd love to play BO3, but I don't have the wildcards for the good sideboard cards

Slowly I'm just taking the phoenixes out of my izzet phoenix timeless shell because.. well.. as much as I like them honestly it's better to just play it as a delver-less delver deck featuring treasure cruise and brainstorm

I kinda do like the 2 copies of titi though

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I'd love to play BO3, but I don't have the wildcards for the good sideboard cards

Slowly I'm just taking the phoenixes out of my izzet phoenix timeless shell because.. well.. as much as I like them honestly it's better to just play it as a delver-less delver deck featuring treasure cruise and brainstorm

The best sideboard cards are like veil and spell pierce and push etc which are commons and uncommons. I bet we could make a good sideboard for any deck that is light on rares and mythics

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I went 11-2 with Winota in Platinum to get Diamond. The BRx Lurrus matches are a griiind but thankfully opponents apparently don’t know how to deal with the deck. I’m pretty much destroying all of the Oko piles.

Edit: the interaction between Kenrith and Minsc & Boo is loving fantastic.

Yoked fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 15, 2023

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Wait are you taking the Phoenixes out or the Delvers? What creatures do you have in there to win with?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

fadam posted:

It's a brand new format with lots of people trying lots of different decks so it's pretty hard to get a read on what's actually good or worth boarding for. What deck are you playing? Cheap removal, GY hate and cheap anti-blue interaction is a good, generic place to start until you get a better feel for what you want to tech against. If you can get away with it, Blood Moon is a beast against a decent chunk of what people are netdecking. My RB Breach board:

My UR Tempo board:

I am in Jeskai, I dunno how well i could handle blood mooning but the anti-blue tech suggestions seem good.

My other most common impediments are a resolved One Ring so I guess that's Pithing Needle, and even with 8 spot removal spells and 2 sweepers in the deck I keep getting got by orcish bowmasters lol?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Yeah, most of the impactful stuff is uncommon. Most of the mythics are usually top-end bombs for longer games, as an alternate wincon for the deck. Abrade, Mystical Dispute, Veil of Summer, Duress, Feed the Swarm, Soul Guide Lantern, Stern Scolding, and Spell Pierce are all good things to board in that can have devastating impact just at common or uncommon.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

distortion park posted:

They should do fun stuff like this on arena. Also temporary constructed formats, like run "all the innistrad sets" constructed for a week or something.

e: replace the alchemy queues with this pls wotc

bro they won't even run drafts of Arena formats that aren't in standard any more and you think they're gonna dig out an OG set for drafting fun?

you'll get RtR remastered or something like that in 6 months and you'll like it (actually, the remaster sets are pretty fun generally to draft)

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Boco_T posted:

Wait are you taking the Phoenixes out or the Delvers? What creatures do you have in there to win with?

Threat package is currently 4x ragavan, 4x drc, 2x ledger shredder, and currently 2x titi, 4x Phoenix

I think I'm going to change it though to drop the phoenixes and replace them with +2 shredder then probably either add 2 more titi, or possibly 2 crackling drake? (edit: duh I forgot crackling drake counts exiled spells, was thinking about the murktide plan) Shadow is probably even better but I don't have the wildcards and mana for that

The big thing is I think I'd rather add some more interaction cards by cutting looting/lightning axe and play the full 4 treasure cruises. Phoenix does require putting cards in the graveyard, but I feel like there's a bit of a tension between wanting to delve away the gy for a payoff versus wanting to keep looting/phoenixes in the yard.

Also not having manamorphose makes the deck feel a lot clunkier imo

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 16, 2023

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Crackling drake is kind of a nonbo with cruise though.
read the card again

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Boco_T posted:

read the card again

oh dang you're right, it counts exiled cards. I always forget that

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

hey Time, give me tips on beating Domain with the Azorious Craft Foundry deck. I just get shot in the face by 4 Archangel of Wrath

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Threat package is currently 4x ragavan, 4x drc, 2x ledger shredder, and currently 2x titi, 4x Phoenix

I think I'm going to change it though to drop the phoenixes and replace them with +2 shredder then probably either add 2 more titi, or possibly 2 crackling drake? (edit: duh I forgot crackling drake counts exiled spells, was thinking about the murktide plan) Shadow is probably even better but I don't have the wildcards and mana for that

The big thing is I think I'd rather add some more interaction cards by cutting looting/lightning axe and play the full 4 treasure cruises. Phoenix does require putting cards in the graveyard, but I feel like there's a bit of a tension between wanting to delve away the gy for a payoff versus wanting to keep looting/phoenixes in the yard.

Also not having manamorphose makes the deck feel a lot clunkier imo

I strongly recommend not playing a 4cmc creature in a delver deck in Legacy Lite. It's gonna die to Unholy Heat and you're gonna sit there with no mana open to interact with their next turn.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Eej posted:

I strongly recommend not playing a 4cmc creature in a delver deck in Legacy Lite. It's gonna die to Unholy Heat and you're gonna sit there with no mana open to interact with their next turn.

yeah, I just don't actually have the wildcards to actually get two more ledger shredders or titi right now so it's mostly filling a hole since I want to cut the phoenixes :sigh:

what are people playing as the top end threat for murktide-ish lists in timeless anyway?

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 16, 2023

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
What's titi?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Once you're cutting the phoenixes then it's not really "phoenix" and you should absolutely reconsider the spell package - lighting axe is not a good card if you're not specifically looking to discard things, you should go +4 Bauble to turn on DRC more consistently, and you generally don't need to go as hard on the 1-mana spells.

Why don't you like the phoenixes, though? It seems like between brainstorm and looting and whatever other cantrips and interaction you're playing, you shouldn't have much trouble finding three 1-mana spells on turn 3?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jabor posted:

Once you're cutting the phoenixes then it's not really "phoenix" and you should absolutely reconsider the spell package - lighting axe is not a good card if you're not specifically looking to discard things, you should go +4 Bauble to turn on DRC more consistently, and you generally don't need to go as hard on the 1-mana spells.

Why don't you like the phoenixes, though? It seems like between brainstorm and looting and whatever other cantrips and interaction you're playing, you shouldn't have much trouble finding three 1-mana spells on turn 3?

Oh I have, the list looks like this now:
Deck
4 Dragon's Rage Channeler
4 Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer
2 Thing in the Ice
2 Ledger Shredder
2 Crackling Drake

4 Mishra's Bauble
4 Unholy Heat
4 Fiery Impulse (no bolts rip, I should probably just swap this to be something else, but they're the next card to go as I get wildcards. like straight up shock might be better)
4 Brainstorm
4 Expressive Iteration
2 Sleight of Hand (these maybe should be something else?)
2 Spell Pierce
4 Treasure Cruise

4 Polluted Delta
2 Flooded Strand
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Steam Vents
1 Fiery Islet
3 Island

I feel like the phoenixes are a little clunky to get out since there's less free spells. No gutshot/surgical (or man git probe would be sick) and no morphose means you bring the phoenixes back much slower. You also don't have the best cantrip suite, consider is fine but I think even something like serum visions would be a bit better imo. I'm playing sleight in the deck since bowmaster/sheoldred is pretty rough to deal with if you don't have immediate removal

Comparing that to turboing cards into your graveyard to turn on unholy heat/DRC and power out treasure cruise just seems much better to me. I could be totally wrong though, I'm very much not the best deck builder lol

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 16, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Consider is the ideal cantrip if your goal is filling the yard, why the heck are you talking about opt and sleight of hand?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
And like, playing spells to turbo stuff into your yard is exactly what Phoenix wants you to do, so I'm not sure why you're wanting to put an uncastable 4-drop in your deck.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jabor posted:

And like, playing spells to turbo stuff into your yard is exactly what Phoenix wants you to do, so I'm not sure why you're wanting to put an uncastable 4-drop in your deck.

err yeah, my izzet deck with phoenixes plays consider of course. maybe the sleights should be just consider even after I cut the phoenixes though, I just like being able to dig a little with sheoldred/bowmasters out to find a piece of removal

Sorry the whole context of this was that I feel like I'm not liking the phoenixes as much, so I was changing the whole list to cut them entirely and move towards a murktide-less izzet tempo deck. I think I've talked myself in a circle and confused everything, my b

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 16, 2023

King Keltair
Jul 16, 2001

Toozler posted:

hey Time, give me tips on beating Domain with the Azorious Craft Foundry deck. I just get shot in the face by 4 Archangel of Wrath

Just pulled this off, and Archangel was definitely the most troubling piece from their side. I used 2 Springblades and Eijango to hold them off. I held a Depopulate until the last turn, then attacked in with Restless Anchorages and the Bladewheel Chariots. I was using these to apply pressure, because as lands/artifacts all the sweepers miss them. The learning curve continues to be extreme with this deck, but I did watch the life go out of the Domain player. Their turns were slow and listless by the end. Early game I used Demolition Field to bust up their Triomes, and the had to spend their Herd Migrations on land fetching. Also had a sweeper to respond to their first Atraxa.

A couple of things I learned this time around:

1. You can actually crew Bladewheel Chariot by tapping any two artifacts. Oops, should have read the card a little harder.
2. If you use the maps from Restless Anchorage to explore onto them, the +1/+1 counters stick around on the lands between turns, which lets you apply sweeper free pressure (also Leyline can't target lands)

I was definitely screwing up with Chariot beforehand, hopefully will do better going forward. I'm sure I'm still not playing the crafted form of glyphbridge correctly either. After several days, I am starting to turn things around and see some wins!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Weird Pumpkin posted:

yeah, I just don't actually have the wildcards to actually get two more ledger shredders or titi right now so it's mostly filling a hole since I want to cut the phoenixes :sigh:

what are people playing as the top end threat for murktide-ish lists in timeless anyway?

You're just turning on DRC and beating down with them and fat Ledger Shredders while holding mana for interaction

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

code:
Deck
1 Channel (STA) 50
4 Bloodbraid Elf (2X2) 184
3 Forest (AFR) 279
4 Geological Appraiser (LCI) 150
4 Young Red Dragon (HBG) 197
4 Karn, the Great Creator (WAR) 1
4 Wooded Foothills (KTK) 249
3 Mountain (AFR) 276
4 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger (BFZ) 15
4 Grabby Giant (WOE) 133
4 Cragcrown Pathway (ZNR) 261
4 Radiant Fountain (M21) 248
4 Cavern of Souls (LCI) 269
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 The One Ring (LTR) 246
4 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon (M21) 1
1 Boseiju, Who Endures (NEO) 266

Sideboard
1 Chalice of the Void (MRD) 150
1 Skitterbeam Battalion (BRO) 165
1 Pithing Needle (MID) 257
1 Tormod's Crypt (M21) 241
1 Portal to Phyrexia (BRO) 240
1 God-Pharaoh's Statue (WAR) 238
1 Damping Sphere (DAR) 213
I've been running this in Timeless and have been pleasantly surprised at how consistent it is (at least, against opponents in Gold).

Basically you mulligan looking for a hand consisting of a ramp (Grabby Giant / Young Red Dragon), a cascade or discover creature (Geological Appraiser, Bloodbraid Elf), and a payoff (preferably Ulamog but Ulgin and Karn > something are fine). You always want to go:

Turn 1: land
Turn 2: ramp
Turn 3: creature > channel > payoff

Or sometimes Channel is in your opening hand and you can just turn 2 something stupid into play. If you see the opponent on Lurrus, be careful - if they Thoughtseize your Channel, things fall apart quickly. The One Ring is there so you definitely get a turn with whatever you cheat in. I've never played with Karn before so am guessing on good bullets for him but I tried for a combination of hosers and cards to Channel out.

I've never had to mulligan below 5 yet (although going to 5 or 6 is common) and I've been able to win games with five-card openers (2 land, ramp, creature, payoff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Eej posted:

You're just turning on DRC and beating down with them and fat Ledger Shredders while holding mana for interaction

Ah I guess that makes sense. So it's 4x Rag, 4x DRC, 4x Shredder then? That seems light on threats, but on the other hand brainstorm + treasure cruise lets you see a whole lotta cards so I guess that makes a lot of sense