Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Eeevil posted:

What's titi?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Breast/Legends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Deck
4 Dragon's Rage Channeler
4 Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer Arclight Phoenix
2 Thing in the Ice
2 Ledger Shredder
2 Crackling Drake

4 Mishra's Bauble Shivan Reef
4 Unholy Heat
4 Fiery Impulse
4 Brainstorm Consider
4 Expressive Iteration
2 Sleight of Hand (these maybe should be something else?)
2 Spell Pierce
4 Treasure Cruise

4 Polluted Delta RU Pathway
2 Flooded Strand Mountain
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Steam Vents
1 Fiery Islet
3 Island

Hey op I turned your timeless deck into a playable historic deck. If you cut the drc's, ei's and unholy heats for, uh, idk, monastery swiftspears, chart a courses, and lightning axes, you've even got a sweet explorer deck

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

Eeevil posted:

What's titi?

thing in the ice

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

kalel posted:

Hey op I turned your timeless deck into a playable historic deck. If you cut the drc's, ei's and unholy heats for, uh, idk, monastery swiftspears, chart a courses, and lightning axes, you've even got a sweet explorer deck

ngl I started with almost exactly this list basically (with some concessions on land since I had to craft lands) for historic last week before timeless came out :v:

I think I based it off a list I found as a mythic historic phoenix deck lol

edit: that's exactly why the Firey Impulses are there as well

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 16, 2023

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Ah I guess that makes sense. So it's 4x Rag, 4x DRC, 4x Shredder then? That seems light on threats, but on the other hand brainstorm + treasure cruise lets you see a whole lotta cards so I guess that makes a lot of sense

It ends up being more than enough. The clock from even one flying 3/x is pretty good, and your permission suite is so good that you can basically just protect one threat and win.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Loving all of the wild Timeless decklists getting thrown around, going to be traveling a bunch for the next few weeks and a little bummed that I can't get in on the action.

I doubt it hangs but most of the GW Knight of the Reliquary Midrange deck from 2018 Modern is on Arena now. Sub in Swords to Plowshares for Path to Exile, Deathrite Shaman for Noble Hierarch, and Gilded Goose for Birds of Paradise. It had great game against Death's Shadow back then, but maybe less good game about Shadow with Lurrus lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

fadam posted:

It ends up being more than enough. The clock from even one flying 3/x is pretty good, and your permission suite is so good that you can basically just protect one threat and win.

I am also gonna say that people's life totals drop a bit quicker because of fetching and shocklands lol?

I am still trying to find a balance between fetches/shocks/basics, also if the untapped duals are worth putting in when they can't be found by the fetchlands. I already feel like i'm taking a speed bump for consistency by running multiple triomes lol

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

C-Euro posted:

I doubt it hangs but most of the GW Knight of the Reliquary Midrange deck from 2018 Modern is on Arena now. Sub in Swords to Plowshares for Path to Exile, Deathrite Shaman for Noble Hierarch, and Gilded Goose for Birds of Paradise. It had great game against Death's Shadow back then, but maybe less good game about Shadow with Lurrus lol
Similar, just came back from a 2.5 year Arena hiatus and found almost all the pieces from my 2014 WB Tokens deck are in the game now, been playing it in Historic and it’s not good but it gives me the same feeling as that deck so whatever

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am also gonna say that people's life totals drop a bit quicker because of fetching and shocklands lol?

I am still trying to find a balance between fetches/shocks/basics, also if the untapped duals are worth putting in when they can't be found by the fetchlands. I already feel like i'm taking a speed bump for consistency by running multiple triomes lol

i definitely wouldn't play multiple triomes, lol. the format's too fast for you to be drawing lands that come into play tapped and don't have extreme upsides. maybe you can get away with 1 for when you're eot fetching a tapped land anyway (so you don't need to think so hard about colours), any more than that is probably wrong.

you can (and probably should) play untapped duals in a two-colour-deck. for three-colour decks you've got to choose between an untapped dual and another fetchland (that ultimately represents all 3 colours) - you're basically weighing up consistency vs. spending your life total.

if you have enough fetchlands you can get away with just enough basics to cast your spells (so, 2 swamps if you plan on casting sheoldred, etc.) - aggressively fetch basics when you're anticipating a blood moon, otherwise don't.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Ah I guess that makes sense. So it's 4x Rag, 4x DRC, 4x Shredder then? That seems light on threats, but on the other hand brainstorm + treasure cruise lets you see a whole lotta cards so I guess that makes a lot of sense

Traditionally you'd also have a huge rear end dragon called Murktide Regent to seal things out but yeah the little guys are the ones who do most of the beatdown and win most games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jabor posted:

i definitely wouldn't play multiple triomes, lol. the format's too fast for you to be drawing lands that come into play tapped and don't have extreme upsides. maybe you can get away with 1 for when you're eot fetching a tapped land anyway (so you don't need to think so hard about colours), any more than that is probably wrong.

Yeah I'm running two and usually only get them off fetches on opponents' EOT. I feel like I need it because I'm running Counterspell instead of Memory Lapse. I guess Lapse works on more tempo-y decks but if I'm taking a control posture I need those threats to go away permanently and so i need double blue early while also being open to plow and bolt lol

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Murmur Twin posted:

code:
Deck
1 Channel (STA) 50
4 Bloodbraid Elf (2X2) 184
3 Forest (AFR) 279
4 Geological Appraiser (LCI) 150
4 Young Red Dragon (HBG) 197
4 Karn, the Great Creator (WAR) 1
4 Wooded Foothills (KTK) 249
3 Mountain (AFR) 276
4 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger (BFZ) 15
4 Grabby Giant (WOE) 133
4 Cragcrown Pathway (ZNR) 261
4 Radiant Fountain (M21) 248
4 Cavern of Souls (LCI) 269
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 The One Ring (LTR) 246
4 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon (M21) 1
1 Boseiju, Who Endures (NEO) 266

Sideboard
1 Chalice of the Void (MRD) 150
1 Skitterbeam Battalion (BRO) 165
1 Pithing Needle (MID) 257
1 Tormod's Crypt (M21) 241
1 Portal to Phyrexia (BRO) 240
1 God-Pharaoh's Statue (WAR) 238
1 Damping Sphere (DAR) 213
I've been running this in Timeless and have been pleasantly surprised at how consistent it is (at least, against opponents in Gold).

Basically you mulligan looking for a hand consisting of a ramp (Grabby Giant / Young Red Dragon), a cascade or discover creature (Geological Appraiser, Bloodbraid Elf), and a payoff (preferably Ulamog but Ulgin and Karn > something are fine). You always want to go:

Turn 1: land
Turn 2: ramp
Turn 3: creature > channel > payoff

Or sometimes Channel is in your opening hand and you can just turn 2 something stupid into play. If you see the opponent on Lurrus, be careful - if they Thoughtseize your Channel, things fall apart quickly. The One Ring is there so you definitely get a turn with whatever you cheat in. I've never played with Karn before so am guessing on good bullets for him but I tried for a combination of hosers and cards to Channel out.

I've never had to mulligan below 5 yet (although going to 5 or 6 is common) and I've been able to win games with five-card openers (2 land, ramp, creature, payoff).

This does indeed work – unless they have counterspells. Cute example of why Channel is limited. Feels great when you beat someone running full sets of lightning bolts/brainstorms/ravagans, feels bad when you're up against someone running anything else.

Saw a really fun discard deck that managed to get 3 Waste Not's out against me and almost had the win until I hard cast Ugin and wiped their board. I'm sorry, discard player. Your deck was fair and fun. I am become the bad guy.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

fadam posted:

Probably some combination of Ragavan/Bolt etc. here’s a Sans-W version from Yuta that looks cool:

https://x.com/vendilion/status/1735272260116840793?s=46

do you have any other favorite twitter deck builders like yuta

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ok I moved over to BO3. Won game 1 against delver, boarded in Minor Missteps and got an insta-concede on turn 2.... felt good lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ok I moved over to BO3. Won game 1 against delver, boarded in Minor Missteps and got an insta-concede on turn 2.... felt good lol

very blessed

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

:hellyeah:

Eej posted:

Traditionally you'd also have a huge rear end dragon called Murktide Regent to seal things out but yeah the little guys are the ones who do most of the beatdown and win most games.

yeah I never got into murktide despite being a big izzet player historically in modern because I never wanted to buy ragavans, so it's fun to get to use the rest of the deck in arena

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

fadam posted:

Probably some combination of Ragavan/Bolt etc. here’s a Sans-W version from Yuta that looks cool:

https://x.com/vendilion/status/1735272260116840793?s=46

I crafted this deck because it looks loving awesome and got into one game.

I was in some kind of mirror or Grixis matchup and realized I had just landed in the cockpit of a fighter jet with no idea what I was doing. I misplayed instantly and fired off a brainstorm into an Orcish Bowmaster.

Holy poo poo you have so many game decisions to make on turn 1. Better figure out which fetchland to play and when and how much mana to hold up for Spell Pierce real quick.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the format is still young, but I've been toying around in my head with a dream list of what a timeless anthology would look like. the goal would be to open up new archetypes or power up ones that are less powerful, without adding too much to existing archetypes and maintaining timeless's unique identity without turning it into modern plus or legacy lite

- urza's saga: it's fun, it's powerful without going into everything, and it doesn't really fit into anything existing. the biggest success story of MH2
- the artifact land cycle (esp. seat of the synod): powers up affinity but doesn't really do anything for anything else. might gently caress up historic pauper if they're legal though
- mox opal: similarly powers up affinity. (probably some combination of these first three is sufficient, all three might make affinity *too* good)
- heartless summoning: fun classic timmy card
- young wolf: injection for yawgmoth (another surprisingly legal arena card)
- ancient tomb: gives a boost to red-based and white-based aggro/prison decks. city of traitors might be better but my suspicion is that they don't want to directly print reserved list cards into arena.
- flickerwisp and recruiter of the guard: probably past their prime, but d&t players deserve some love!
- argothian enchantress: could really boost an enchantress archetype.
- dark depths: alone it might not make a lands archetype powerful enough to run with the big boys, but I think its existence as a threat in the format serves as a healthy check against certain kinds of bad stuff. it's also an iconic card
- sol ring/mana vault: it could be funny to see the kinds of shenanigans one could get up to with these cards, though it's hard to imagine them remaining unrestricted in timeless for long. also, mana vault isn't on the reserved list? wtf?
- bazaar of bagdad: I know I mentioned no reserved list cards but if they do include one, it has to be this one because it enables a lot of entertaining bullshit

what they should *not* add to arena:

- life from the loam: this is the one I'm most on the fence about. it rounds out a lot of fun deck archetypes but I really don't want to give bant-based control decks more sway.
- force of will/negation: makes control decks and delver decks too strong
- murktide regent: as tempting as this would be, makes delver too good I think
- wasteland: would warp the meta game around itself and would threaten to turn timeless too far in the legacy direction
- sensei's divining top: play pattern is garbage and would be obnoxious on mobile
- hymn to tourach: fun to cast but doesn't really add anything interesting to the format
- MH2 pitch elementals: no. (maybe endurance.)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
give me price of progress

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
wasteland should be printed into all formats to teach five color soup players the meaning of fear

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Print Painter and Grindstone

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

While Timeless is suffering from the same thing other Arena formats do – half the games are against what's top ranked on mtgdecks.net – but at least for now seemingly most people piloting it don't have a clue what they're doing. My deck based around token generators shouldn't beat a deck running counterspells up the wazoo, but hey if you want to waste them all by turn 3 be my absolute guest. Thank you sir for letting me flip my Legion and drop a wedding announcement uncontested.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Arena suffers from people using good decks?

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

resolving chalice of the void against all these lurrus decks is the best thing since narsets reversal though distortion

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Been trying to port the pioneer Neoform Velomachus deck to timeless to get some mileage out of my time warps and I gotta say that even with the premium blue cards I don't think it's got the legs to ladder well, at least not in Bo3. Funny as hell when a necro player passes with a full hand and never gets another turn, though.

kalel posted:

- young wolf: injection for yawgmoth (another surprisingly legal arena card)
Good news, it was on the same SoI bonus sheet as Snapcaster and is already in arena.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Is there something in standard Knights at the moment? Between Roaming Throne and Cavern of Souls it feels like tribal (or is it Kindred now?) decks are having a major revival but I can't quite find the killer element to Knights - but I'm sure better deck builders than me might be able to...

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BioThermo posted:

Good news, it was on the same SoI bonus sheet as Snapcaster and is already in arena.

son of a gun!

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Another KTK Premier

Draft: https://www.17lands.com/deck/f529120cdb4546178f54d7136ef1a24c

Opened a P1P1 Duneblast and nothing in pack 1 suggested Abzan (or at least WB) wasn't open. Really regret spec'ing on Butcher of the Horde in P2P1 over Chief of the Edge. To be fair, I wasn't deep in green at that point, but Chief was the much safer and equally as good choice. Really should have reviewed Limited Grades right before this draft.

Now looking at this, does Duneblast even make sense in this deck? I have no big top ends, just some warriors and outlast creatures. But I don't have anything better in the sideboard. I suppose it could work as an emergency button in case the board state deteriorates.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Eej posted:

Arena suffers from people using good decks?

Yes, if you just want to play jank and not get steamrolled, generally you're gonna have a bad time.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Venuz Patrol posted:

wasteland should be printed into all formats to teach five color soup players the meaning of fear

strip mine !!! strip mine !!!! strip mine !!!!!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Thought scour and spell snare would be good roleplayer additions to timeless. When I was checking if they were craftable they didn't seem to be there at least :shobon:

I'd be so down for price of progress and/or back to basics though

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rap Game Goku posted:

Yes, if you just want to play jank and not get steamrolled, generally you're gonna have a bad time.

Isn't that what like, Brawl is for

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Rap Game Goku posted:

Play unranked and play jank anyway. Hell, play it in ranked and give no fucks. You can quit at any time. Get Thiughtseized? Hit da bricks. Requeue. It's not like there are real people inside the computer game.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I sent my lovely Midweek Magic pirate deck into the play queue and was actually doing OK. Then someone lived the turn 3 Picnic Ruiner swing for 15 double strike trample dream and just wrecked me.

I thought that looked absolutely awesome so now I’m trying to do it down in the Platinum ranked BO1 turd mines. I got really excited - was about to untap on turn 3 for a potential 20 damage swing with Picnic Ruiner, and of course they had Leyline Binding up with just 1 mana open and 2 lands played. Oh well.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Is there something in standard Knights at the moment? Between Roaming Throne and Cavern of Souls it feels like tribal (or is it Kindred now?) decks are having a major revival but I can't quite find the killer element to Knights - but I'm sure better deck builders than me might be able to...

I think the problem is that the human synergy tends to take over and has the stronger options. Granted I was trying to force knights last set, so maybe there are some new pieces to help bump it up.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think there’s enough existing matter for a bunch of Timeless-unique aggro/tempo and control decks to exist, I’d like to see stuff added to make more Prison and Combo decks viable. Chrome Mox, Mox Diamond, Ancient Tomb would be fun, and maybe some weird stuff like the good initiative cards and Forth Eorlingas!

I’m curious if WotC has their sights on anything to ban/restrict. Right now, I don’t want to see anything go.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Give us Basalt Monolith. And hell Grim Monolith while you're at it, it doesn't count as printing on MTGA does it

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

fadam posted:

I think there’s enough existing matter for a bunch of Timeless-unique aggro/tempo and control decks to exist, I’d like to see stuff added to make more Prison and Combo decks viable. Chrome Mox, Mox Diamond, Ancient Tomb would be fun, and maybe some weird stuff like the good initiative cards and Forth Eorlingas!

I’m curious if WotC has their sights on anything to ban/restrict. Right now, I don’t want to see anything go.

I definitely think Necro could be restricted. Should it be? I dunno. But it seems like it fits very nearly in the same mold as Channel. It's not as explosive or as deterministic, but black is already very, very good without it.

It's nostalgic as hell for sure, but it's been restricted in Vintage for 23 years.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Deck
4 Deathrite Shaman (RTR) 213
1 Swamp (UST) 214
3 Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath (THB) 229
1 Island (LTR) 265
4 Oko, Thief of Crowns (ELD) 197
4 Brainstorm (STA) 13
4 Fatal Push (KLR) 84
2 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
3 Minsc & Boo, Timeless Heroes (HBG) 243
1 Forest (UST) 216
4 Lightning Bolt (STA) 42
4 Orcish Bowmasters (LTR) 103
1 Demonic Tutor (STA) 27
4 Polluted Delta (KTK) 239
3 Drown in the Loch (ELD) 188
3 Questing Druid (WOE) 234
2 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
1 Zagoth Triome (IKO) 259
1 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
1 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
1 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
4 Wooded Foothills (KTK) 249
2 Bloodstained Mire (KTK) 230

I have been tinkering with 4c control builds and have settled on this for the main deck right now. I have been battling with it in the top 100 for the last day or so and it fairs really well. I have 3 veils, 3 thoughtseize as sideboard staples and everything else has kind of rotated. I generally pack some sort of board wipe and some sort of graveyard hate but I’m deciding on which I like there. Also liking sheoldred a edict for that annoying deck that mulligans to some sort of Leyline plush the way to cheat out geist on turn 1.

Main deck is so good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i think banning or restricting brainstorm would force some decks to consider if splashing blue is worth it just for counter magic rather than it being a no brainer and might weaken bowmasters a little bit but I agree definitely this early they shouldn't touch anything