Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
How do you know what is and isn't a debuff for the effects that care about these things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Zwiebel posted:

How do you know what is and isn't a debuff for the effects that care about these things?

Debuffs are listed together under a header when you inspect the character (Clara's mark is filed under "other effect"). It also looked like all debuffs have a red down arrow on the icon.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Star rail keeps doing everything genshin should have done years ago, I love it 😻

Zwiebel posted:

One easy way is to examine someone in combat

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Genshin has heard the community's cry for parity and has altered plans to include a free 5* next patch as well -- Qiqi (not permanent).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

NeonPunk posted:

We're getting Dr. Ratio for free?! Oh no, that's horrible news! Nobody is going to roll on his banner and Star Rails will drop in the apps rankings for couple of weeks!

No, but seriously that's amazing 🤩

What's even more amazing that they're creating another new SU event, Gold and Gears that's going to be permanent like Swarm that's gonna bring us what I'm assuming the Erudition path. That's gonna be fun

Don't worry, it just means people will spend their Ratio rolls on his LC which is cheaper to get (63 soft pity and 75/25 chance of winning on pity)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Baiard posted:

Genshin has heard the community's cry for parity and has altered plans to include a free 5* next patch as well -- Qiqi (not permanent).

More like Dehya

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Ryanbomber posted:

3 debuffs isn't too hard to hit - it looks like he supplies one on his own with one of his traces, so you only really need 2 - but another trace wants 5 debuffs for the max effect, so running with extra debuff is still probably a good idea

I just checked and Clara's mark isn't considered a debuff, which kind of puts a wrinkle in my "just throw every followup character on one team" plan :(

I went for E1S1 Topaz because I like her character and design and I liked that both her cone and E1 provide party-wide damage increases. And now I'm being immediately rewarded, because E1S1 Topaz provides 3 separate debuffs for Dr. Ratio.

For the record, if you have the Resolution Shines Like Pearls of Sweat light cone, it adds another debuff to any Nihilty character's kit. Pela with Resolution Shines plus Dr. Ratio himself is enough to guarantee his followup, though you won't max his self damage buff as quickly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kale posted:

Yeah Western social media is kind of taking the news rather predictably, by which I mean doing what it always does and turning around and finding something else to poo poo on and "imply" poo poo about how their posting enemies are doing basically anytime anything good happens with something else and being very tedious about it.
:ironicat:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Eej posted:

Don't worry, it just means people will spend their Ratio rolls on his LC which is cheaper to get (63 soft pity and 75/25 chance of winning on pity)

If I manage to get Kafka early I might try to get Ratio's cone... Feels weird to go for cones as a f2p but I'm kind of glad I got Topaz's cone. I haven't grabbed Cruising in the Stellar Sea yet though so if I don't get his cone he can just have that.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My Topaz is stuck with an S5 Swordplay. Ratio's cone would be good for her as well as him.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

If we don't have Silver Wolf she's a perfect partner for Dr. Ratio yeah? I'm nowhere near close to a pity and like there's a 0.1% chance I get lucky but if given the choice between her or Ratio's LC she's probably the stronger bonus?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Bad Video Games posted:

My Topaz is stuck with an S5 Swordplay. Ratio's cone would be good for her as well as him.

Ratio's cone specifies you need to attack an enemy with the Ultimate to proc the DMG/DEF bypass buff, so half of the cone's effect would be wasted on Topaz

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

If we don't have Silver Wolf she's a perfect partner for Dr. Ratio yeah? I'm nowhere near close to a pity and like there's a 0.1% chance I get lucky but if given the choice between her or Ratio's LC she's probably the stronger bonus?

Yes, Silver Wolf is an excellent partner for Dr. Ratio. She fully powers up his debuff synergies and she can make sure he's always hitting a weakness. His cone is very good, but unless you're like me and have literally no 4* hunt light cones, SW is likely the better investment.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

SW is also very strong outside of ratio teams. its hard to see a universe where silver wolf isnt one of the better units in the game for the rest of the game's life.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

All of that said, I wouldn't pull SW unless you actually want her. Those are pulls that could go to Ruan Mei, Ratio e1, Blade, Kafka, etc. I mean, Ratio will work fine with Gui, Pela, or Sampo and a copy of Resolution.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Yeah the most important thing is that you like a character. I think I end up liking characters 50% for their aesthetics and 50% for having fun mechanics. Silver Wolf is pretty neat and the weakness implant is fun, but there's plenty of other good characters too if you don't get her.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

blizzardvizard posted:

Ratio's cone specifies you need to attack an enemy with the Ultimate to proc the DMG/DEF bypass buff, so half of the cone's effect would be wasted on Topaz

Also, poo poo. I knew his lc made follow-ups better.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Hm. Noted. I'm pretty apathetic to Silver Wolf just as a character so I'll see how I feel as I go.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Hm. Noted. I'm pretty apathetic to Silver Wolf just as a character so I'll see how I feel as I go.

I've ended up with two characters I don't really like. Jing Yuan because it was my first banner, and Kafka, who showed up 40 pulls early. I still don't really use Jing Yuan, and I only started using Kafka because she works well with Topaz. I really like Topaz.

Only pull for the 5 stars you really want. Don't even talk yourself into "building pity". That's how I ended up with Kafka.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 16, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The only pull I've sort of regretted is Huohuo. She does her job and the buffs are there but she's not as comfortable as the people's healer Luocha and invincibility cheat code Fu Xuan. Even in a team of Huohuo/Jingliu/Bronya/Tingyun it feels bad sp wise. Like I could just change Tingyun for Hanya but the entire point is to run all the energy recharge to try and keep Jingliu in her buffed state as long as possible. Silver Wolf, as my account got more dps so I'm not relying on her weakness app, feels like a niche character currently. Though that's more for her single target nature. Right now MoC is cleave focused. Two elites of a decent but not extreme amount of hp. So it can feel like Wolfie gets her dps setup just in time for them to die. If, or more hopefully, when we get some heavily single target content her value will come back. Even without weakness implants she's like a 50% effective damage boost.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I realised why I was having such trouble with the towers. My two main parties are Topaz/Kafka and Jingliu/Blade.

I initially thought the trick to it was to limit break to swap it back, I didn’t realise it was tied to turn order specifically rather than last ultimate.

Aaand both teams I was running are constantly shuffling the turn order with follow ups

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

In 2 pulls after logging in, lmao.

My luck in Star Rail is oddly ridiculous compared to Genshin.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Silver Wolf will always be valuable because of break team. Even in multi-target fights, she can shut down the more difficult opponent to make the content slightly easier. I rarely use her for weakness implant anymore.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eimi posted:

The only pull I've sort of regretted is Huohuo. She does her job and the buffs are there but she's not as comfortable as the people's healer Luocha and invincibility cheat code Fu Xuan. Even in a team of Huohuo/Jingliu/Bronya/Tingyun it feels bad sp wise. Like I could just change Tingyun for Hanya but the entire point is to run all the energy recharge to try and keep Jingliu in her buffed state as long as possible.

I'm not surprised she doesn't feel comfortable in that team, that team is pretty SP hungry. Jingliu never wants to not spend a skill point when not buffed, Bronya's running effectively neutral or negative depending on how often you're giving Jingliu turns, and Tingyun is at best a +1 SP every 3 turns character(-1 SP for skill, +1 basic, +1 basic).

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Kanos posted:

I'm not surprised she doesn't feel comfortable in that team, that team is incredibly SP hungry. Jingliu never wants to not spend a skill point if she can get away with it, Bronya's running effectively neutral or negative depending on how often you're giving Jingliu turns, and Tingyun is at best a +1 SP every 3 turns character(-1 SP for skill, +1 basic, +1 basic).

Yeah I would throw in Hanya instead of Bronya or Tingyun

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tarezax posted:

Yeah I would throw in Hanya instead of Bronya or Tingyun

I'd say ditch Bronya, because of how valuable energy regeneration is to Jingliu to extend sicko mode.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU-UJFKMR8c

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Planetary relic farming is actually driving me insane. Been farming World 7 SU for about a week, and I've literally gotten every single 5-star main stat piece possible EXCEPT the two that I'm looking for: Ice Rutilant Sphere (Jingliu) and ERR Broken Keel Rope (Bronya).

Corrosion farming never felt this tedious. I see now where all my future Self-Modeling Resins are going.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I have one Ice sphere and treasure it greatly.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

qbert posted:

Planetary relic farming is actually driving me insane. Been farming World 7 SU for about a week, and I've literally gotten every single 5-star main stat piece possible EXCEPT the two that I'm looking for: Ice Rutilant Sphere (Jingliu) and ERR Broken Keel Rope (Bronya).

Corrosion farming never felt this tedious. I see now where all my future Self-Modeling Resins are going.

I feel you. My continued search for Glamoth wind and lightning orbs keeps giving me Imaginary instead. It's maddening.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

qbert posted:

I took a second look at my Jingliu and realized I shoved an Atk% sphere with crit/crit on her because I guess Ice never dropped and I gave up.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bussamove posted:

I feel you. My continued search for Glamoth wind and lightning orbs keeps giving me Imaginary instead. It's maddening.

It's particularly maddening for me because my Kafka is only at 135 speed with her current rope and orb that have 4 Speed each. Trying to get a lightning orb with atk%, speed, and some effect hit is making me want to commit crimes.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

qbert posted:

Afaik ERR ropes are the lowest percentage chance out of any stat to appear on any piece (3-5 percent ish) so if you have any self modeling resin they're probably the best use of it.

imweasel09 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 16, 2023

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
My luck is I’ll get all the right substats on all the wrong relics. Ice/crit/crit?

Too bad it’s belobog.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

qbert posted:

Pop resin on planetary sets. Caverns can be blazed through and provide fodder for xp and and remnants at worst.

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

"Ingenio stat sine morte decus."

Bad Video Games posted:

I think I'm going to call him done except for traces. His crit rate is a bit low, but his Talent will add another 25%. I'm going to eventually give these boots to Clara, but I have a pair of speed boots for him. They only lower his crit by 4%, so they're still decent. He also needs a better rope and orb, so it's back to farming Salsotto.

Use crit rate body instead unless you're putting Yukong into his team.
His ult needs to crit on the first hit badly.

Also until 1.6 the 6 extra hits of his ult would target dead enemies unless they're already dead after the first (280%) hit lands. That's a heavier penalty if it doesn't crit.

Bad Video Games posted:

Looking at Dr. Ratio's kit here:

https://www.gameleap.com/guides/honkai-star-rail-dr-ratio-kit-skills-materials-and-banner

He has a 40% chance to launch a follow-up after using his skill. This increases by 20% for each debuff the target has. So his bis support is probably Silver Wolf. With both of their techniques active and SW having Revolution Shines, his follow-up is guaranteed. Welt also provides 3 debuffs, between his Technique, Talent, and Ult.

Other good supports are Pela, Guinaifen, Luka, Sampo, and Serval. Each provides 2 debuffs.

I'm sure I missed some characters.

His skill provides 1 constant debuff so 2 more from other team members are sufficient (but 3 or 4 would be better ofc).
Topaz with E1 or her signature LC (as Proof of Debt is automatically added when you switch target) is the best. The 3rd slot can be Ruan Mei or Asta as they provide buff for all team members.

qbert posted:

So Topaz/Ratio/Ruan Mei/Sustain a good team?

The best sustain would probably be Huohuo as this team would be slightly short of energy.

Eldsluft fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 16, 2023

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
Some characters debuffs are secondary to their kit and they aren't deliberately building any hit rate. A base 100% chance to debuff with no hit rate at all and no pre-existing -effect res is actually a 60% chance to land the debuff on the tough MoC bosses, takes 67% ehr to guarantee it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

And some of those debuffs are automatically applied bypassing all effect hit chances. All of Topaz's, for example (her base kit, her E1, and her LC effect are separate debuffs that all bypass hit chances).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Eldsluft posted:

Use crit rate body instead unless you're putting Yukong into his team.
His ult needs to crit on the first hit badly.

It's much easier to find 20-30% crit rate in substats than it is to find 60% damage. He good.

If I'm that worried about it, I could just farm Celestial Differentiator instead. We'll see how he performs in the new mode.