Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MJP posted:

and I forget who it was that was at the horrible TV station suck in the South finally getting out and into better job & gender

Frosty Witch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Oh man I forgot about the person at the TV station. Some of those stories were absolutely wild.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The saga continues -
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020965&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=25#post536002605

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
met with our outgoing greybeard 1:1 to talk about printers (specifically universal print on our VM server since I haven't touched it yet) and he's a lot easier to talk with when my boss and coworker aren't around

i now know both what servers we have and what we're running on them, nobody else bothered to tell me

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

you are now the print server flamekeeper. wield this power responsibility.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

you are now the print server flamekeeper. wield this power responsibility.

Poor bastard.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

SyNack Sassimov posted:

This thread seriously discussed learning AD for like three pages in what is almost the year 2024 :psyduck:

And yes, I mean, I know it's still in use at a ton of places and there's reasons you might want to get familiar with it, but still, seems very much like diving headlong into a dying industry. The death may take 20 years and it will never truly die (there's still companies using Lotus Notes and Novell, right? Not to mention Fortran & COBOL hanging on in finance), but who would choose to go into AD work at this point if there's any other option?

We've got two AD environments left and thank Christ one of them is finally going away next year, ideally April but probably summer. The other is a tiny client that hates change but whatever, I mostly don't deal with them. Other than that it's all Entra all the time and I love it, other than the annoyances of clients who insist on using Google Workspace which can suck an entire bag of dicks. And Microsoft doing stupid renames.

Don't get me wrong, I liked and still like AD for a lot of reasons, but these days with remote work and cloud-first approaches it's just extra effort and pain to have all of that sitting on local infrastructure (even that "local" infrastructure is VMs on AWS), needing to be maintained, and back-ending all of your cloud identity.

At my job, 16-18 of 20 clients are all on premise AD. The death of on premise is overstate sometimes, I think

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

tokin opposition posted:

so instead of hiring another helpdesk person (which we actually need) they're gonna look for someone willing to do work-to-hire, non-management position on sharepoint, cybersecurity, AAD migration, and helpdesk, all in one role. Am I way off base in thinking that it's a weird rear end hodgepodge that they'll never fill with anyone competent?

but apparently SSO is inherently insecure so maybe I just don't know anything about computers and my boss is right

That.... that's my current job.

I'm expected to do:

MS365 monitoring
Proofpoint
SentinelOne
Webroot
Axcient X360
Some phone system we've implemented
SonicWall
Auvik
Teams phones and SIP devices
Help Desk (remote)
Help Desk (on site)
Help Desk (Bench)
Residential (same as above)
Refurbishing busted Apple devices for resale
CloudRadial
Two CRMs (Connectwise and Repairshopr)
Network planning config and installation

Etc.

They're doing too much.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Because one group didn't read their emails or set reminders on a web cert and it expired, it has been decided that its simply too difficult for other people to track that, and its now my job. I don't run the website its on, or even know what it is, but I have to make sure the people that admin this product can track something that happens once a year. Or something.
Also I might have to handle the accounting for this, even though we have a department that handles that already. Simply because we spend money in there faster then it goes in.

I'm starting to get so much "Other duties as assigned" projects on my lap that I've started to not be able to do my main job.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I saw that LinkedIn has moved the goalposts and declared their cloud migration successful without fully migrating to the cloud. I think for sure that companies with an existing premise footprint are probably never going to become fully cloud native. I don't think the Cloud is going anywhere, but I wonder if we're seeing a shift in the rush to the cloud. I think reports of the death of the data center are greatly exaggerated, and that includes AD.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

FISHMANPET posted:

I saw that LinkedIn has moved the goalposts and declared their cloud migration successful without fully migrating to the cloud. I think for sure that companies with an existing premise footprint are probably never going to become fully cloud native. I don't think the Cloud is going anywhere, but I wonder if we're seeing a shift in the rush to the cloud. I think reports of the death of the data center are greatly exaggerated, and that includes AD.

IME the first few years of VMware were the same way - the idea was everyone would rush to virtualize their servers and shove them in an MSP's data center, but not a lot of people did that, and the few that did regretted it. Also a lot of poo poo didn't work right with Vmware when it launched, which is similar-but-not-same to the challenges of doing a full cloud migration.

At least with voice/video, there's not a ton of incentive to migrate. Ucaas doesn't save money over an on-prem environment, and it really doesn't save money over sweating an ancient PBX. The vast majority of C-types see IT as a cost center, so they're always going to go with whats cheapest. From a technical perspective, adding offices or doing an M&A is way fukken easier on cloud, but cloud still sucks poo poo at things like lobby phones or analog lines or integrated devices. Thats not getting into that most voice/video environments at large organizations are going to be 10+ years old at a minimum - all the people who did the install, all the people who know the workarounds and weird configurations , they're all long gone. Simple stuff like migrating the recordings from the auto-attendant and the new system doesn't quite support the exact same features in exactly the same way... and the person who recorded the prompts left five years ago. (You have absolutely no idea how political an office can get when deciding whose going to record the auto-attendant greeting)
There's also this overwhelming feeling of inevitability w/r/t to migrating to MS Teams voice, and teams voice loving sucks.

That doesn't get into the nuts & bolts of a voice migration, like figuring out if you're keeping the same carrier or doing a LNP port or whatever. Migrating voice to the cloud is a shitload of work for very few tangible benefits. Ultimately I think a lot of local services will move to dedicated devices similar to Mini PCs or raspberry pis with hybrid integration into the cloud.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

I'm expected to do:

MS365 monitoring
Proofpoint
SentinelOne
Webroot
Axcient X360
SonicWall
Auvik
Help Desk (remote)
Help Desk (on site)
Help Desk (Bench)
CloudRadial

Etc.

They're doing too much.

If it helps you two at all, that was my career path. I started in third party call center for Belkin, BFG, Westell, and everything CDW sold (which still existed in the US, this was before offshoring everything support really took hold) and made it my mission to listen to anyone who knew more than me. I didn't become a serious devoted expert on any of the technologies, but good soft skills along with having the ability to be asked about something and saying "sure, I've seen that before" got me a director gig with no college degree.
It absolutely sucks while you're doing it, but it teaches you to be able to learn new poo poo on the fly, which is incredibly valuable.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

I'm expected to do:

MS365 monitoring
Proofpoint
SentinelOne
Webroot
Axcient X360
SonicWall
Auvik
Help Desk (remote)
Help Desk (on site)
Help Desk (Bench)
CloudRadial

Etc.

They're doing too much.

my condolences. don't look for a new job in seattle, wa at a nonprofit, it will not be worth it to work here

honestly my general advice is to avoid nonprofits unless you are profoundly sapphic

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Vampire Panties posted:

IME the first few years of VMware were the same way - the idea was everyone would rush to virtualize their servers and shove them in an MSP's data center, but not a lot of people did that, and the few that did regretted it. Also a lot of poo poo didn't work right with Vmware when it launched, which is similar-but-not-same to the challenges of doing a full cloud migration.

At least with voice/video, there's not a ton of incentive to migrate. Ucaas doesn't save money over an on-prem environment, and it really doesn't save money over sweating an ancient PBX. The vast majority of C-types see IT as a cost center, so they're always going to go with whats cheapest. From a technical perspective, adding offices or doing an M&A is way fukken easier on cloud, but cloud still sucks poo poo at things like lobby phones or analog lines or integrated devices. Thats not getting into that most voice/video environments at large organizations are going to be 10+ years old at a minimum - all the people who did the install, all the people who know the workarounds and weird configurations , they're all long gone. Simple stuff like migrating the recordings from the auto-attendant and the new system doesn't quite support the exact same features in exactly the same way... and the person who recorded the prompts left five years ago. (You have absolutely no idea how political an office can get when deciding whose going to record the auto-attendant greeting)
There's also this overwhelming feeling of inevitability w/r/t to migrating to MS Teams voice, and teams voice loving sucks.

That doesn't get into the nuts & bolts of a voice migration, like figuring out if you're keeping the same carrier or doing a LNP port or whatever. Migrating voice to the cloud is a shitload of work for very few tangible benefits. Ultimately I think a lot of local services will move to dedicated devices similar to Mini PCs or raspberry pis with hybrid integration into the cloud.
My boss (IT director) was cool and chill until he seriously seriously single-handedly hosed up our ancient pbx to VoIP phone migration... And left it still hosed up 6 months later in various ways. His departure was... forcibly assisted. There are so many behind the scenes ways to screw up voice, it really is a bloody minefield.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Vampire Panties posted:

Ultimately I think a lot of local services will move to dedicated devices similar to Mini PCs or raspberry pis with hybrid integration into the cloud.

Why mini PCs instead of the traditional SMB/Edge servers, a segment that Intel is still updating even though it's getting more niche every year? They're still pretty cheap too, if Intel is still updating them and Dell, Lenovo, and HP still keep stuff like the R250 around, somebody must be buying them.

I guess HP hasn't done a Micro server this time around, but they've got entry rack / tower still.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Redoing our phone system is going to be a 2024 project for us. We are currently paying around $3000/mo. for 70 on-site employees, and I'd estimate half of them haven't used their phone once all year.
It would be cheaper to upgrade everyone to E5 licenses from Business Premium and use an operator connect service. Especially when our hybrid WFH policy is loosely enforced, and people work from home half the time anyways.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're otherwise happy with the Business Premium license then get Teams Phone Standard as an add-on and get the voice service from an Operator Connect partner of your choice.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-teams/microsoft-teams-phone#heading-oc4df0

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

tokin opposition posted:

Remembering that I was reading that thread in middle school and feeling a mix of shame and pride that I eventually followed my heart into computer touching.

Also offering my services as a professional gender swapper, I'll get you out of that beat up old role and into a sports car of a self-identity with no money down!!

I got caught (either by traffic snooping or a co-worker goon) posting angrily about the sysadmin above me at a job who refused to let me look into any method of bulk deploying the SAP Basis client to 80 desktops. He, and my boss, wanted me - the sole desktop guy at the company - to walk up and install it. This was 2009-2010. There was no reason for this.

I was made to apologize to him. I never found out how they got me.

That guy's outright refusal to consider that maybe there's better uses for everyone's time, including low-level computer touchers, and dare I suggest learning, training, and growth opportunities by simply hearing out your underlings and if you have to refuse them, at least giving some details why, is a major driver as to why I'm absolutely militant about teaching any skill I have to any co-worker that wants to learn it. Revenge is a career choice best served cold.

Mark, if you're reading this, I resent the poo poo out of you and while I don't think I'd take a bullet for you, I would at least apply pressure to the wound.

I also refuse to believe that any goons were reading that thread in middle school. Every goon emerged in the world fully formed, like Athena from Zeus' forehead, between age 19-28 in the years from 1999-2012

Frosty is second only to I think mllaneza or one or two other goons from that thread who I unequivocally hope, wish, and encourage for absolute joy and happiness; they deserve it. I'm gonna have to read the recap of their adventures leading up to this.

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

At my job, 16-18 of 20 clients are all on premise AD. The death of on premise is overstate sometimes, I think

On-prem AD will die in the same year that Linux desktops are viable

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
On prem AD isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

On prem servers are a red flag for an incompetent workplace and the flag is only getting redder and bigger as the years roll on

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

SyNack Sassimov posted:

This thread seriously discussed learning AD for like three pages in what is almost the year 2024 :psyduck:

And yes, I mean, I know it's still in use at a ton of places and there's reasons you might want to get familiar with it, but still, seems very much like diving headlong into a dying industry. The death may take 20 years and it will never truly die (there's still companies using Lotus Notes and Novell, right? Not to mention Fortran & COBOL hanging on in finance), but who would choose to go into AD work at this point if there's any other option.

We've got two AD environments left and thank Christ one of them is finally going away next year, ideally April but probably summer. The other is a tiny client that hates change but whatever, I mostly don't deal with them. Other than that it's all Entra all the time and I love it, other than the annoyances of clients who insist on using Google Workspace which can suck an entire bag of dicks. And Microsoft doing stupid renames.

Active Directory is still that big, important and useful even decades later in the era of the cloud. Sure, it's just a directory service but it's often tied into everything else from printers to finely-crafted GPOs that do something that just isn't available in Entra ID. Plus, you've got every corporation that has made their own IAM solutions that are directly integrated into AD along with god knows what else.

Don't get me wrong, the writing is on the wall for AD but bringing that down is going to take a lot of time. And there are still occasional updates,

https://x.com/PyroTek3/status/1709993222569615716?s=20

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

If you're king of IT in tyool 2024 and are in charge of building out the infrastructure of a brand new company do you still make on prem AD?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

If you're king of IT in tyool 2024 and are in charge of building out the infrastructure of a brand new company do you still make on prem AD?

"it depends"

for the average bullshit startup with "knowledge workers" ? no

but there are still a number of industries that require on prem infrastructure to be in place

but it would definitely by syncing to entra

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

A brand new company? It if it is cloud only with nothing On-Premises then Entra ID and no AD.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's a fun academic question but ultimately not very useful. The majority of companies already exist, and already have on-prem infrastructure. The hardest part of IT infrastructure is... doing it, so the ability to actually affect a migration is key to the question, and experience shows that it's really difficult for any organization to just completely shift the way they work and move to something new, especially when what exists still works.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

the difference from AD to Entra ID to the end user is negatable, this is the same line that justifies using FORTRAN still. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta41xU-tkFA

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

On prem servers are a red flag for an incompetent workplace and the flag is only getting redder and bigger as the years roll on

:wrong:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

We use on-prem AD :shrug: We have it synced with Entra and all that but yeah. This is my first IT job but I've never felt like it was archaic or difficult to understand

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

actually it's using computers that's the red flag. on prem or cloud has nothing to do with it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

We have 130,000+ endpoints. We're not migrating away from on-prem AD, we're going to lifecycle it out. This might happen by 2035. We aren't even getting Autopilot rolled out for DEP for new devices next year. Some people are gonna try, but nahh.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mllaneza posted:

We have 130,000+ endpoints. We're not migrating away from on-prem AD, we're going to lifecycle it out. This might happen by 2035. We aren't even getting Autopilot rolled out for DEP for new devices next year. Some people are gonna try, but nahh.

130,000+ endpoints? Yeeeeeeesh! Do you have an entire team dedicated to AD, or is it a "everyone needs to know AD" type of thing?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we're at 80000-ish and we have a whole "identity" team that manages aad and ad

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

this summer they finished decommissioning the local office servers but they're still on ad they just talk to cloud hosted vms now

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
There are some weird use cases for full on prem, even in 2023. A friend of mine worked for a company that still has on prem exchange as of like two years ago at a couple hundred sites. I thought it was stupid, but it turned out they were a high end chemical manufacturer, and being able to say "none of this data ever leaves this site on any way over the internet, here's the design" made compliance way easier. There will probably always be fully closed system use cases, but hopefully they keep shrinking.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, Active Directory will continue like mainframes. There are some use cases where it really, really makes sense and there isn't any direct upgrade/replacement.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

To keep the AD chat going I just remembered that something like 3-4% of the entire server market (Gartner Study 2016) consists of non-X86 processors. That's stuff like IBM Power, HP Itanium, Sun SPARC or strange custom Fujitsu chips. The best way I've understood this is through the concept of "data gravity" where when you start building software, it attracts more software. And these systems existed before computers were even IBM Compatible or the existence of companies like Microsoft, Apple, AWS, Google, etc.

I'm sure at point AD will go the away but it's still far out. Entra ID or Azure AD isn't even a decade old. It's the same reason why these platforms are still in production today because they work well and there's so much risk when migration especially something that is actively serving customers.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 17, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hughmoris posted:

130,000+ endpoints? Yeeeeeeesh! Do you have an entire team dedicated to AD, or is it a "everyone needs to know AD" type of thing?

We have IAM people. We have AD people. We have Security people who create GPOs. This might be in 3 figures worth of people before you get to the contractors who (eventually) handle tickets that can't be handled by automation.

I'm just off in a corner managing a large OU with inheritance turned off trying to let research actually happen.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

For all of you that work in AD and reside in the US or Canada... Are you all in management or working on something unique and requires a TS? While my experience is limited, I've seen that kind of work get continually outsourced overseas.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 17, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

Oh you sweet summer child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It’s a pretty bold blanket statement. It also unfairly lets organisations off the hook who have just done a lift and shift to EC2 without understanding what they’re trying to achieve.