Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RareAcumen posted:

I hope Control 2 takes place outside of The Oldest House or some off section of it that's more flexible so I can pick up and throw a Baby Grand piano at whatever the monster of that game is.

Okay here's my pitch, hear me out:

Control 2 is set in a high-end part of town, with all the areas based on absurdly expensive houses on Zillow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Cleretic posted:

Okay here's my pitch, hear me out:

Control 2 is set in a high-end part of town, with all the areas based on absurdly expensive houses on Zillow.

The boss is a sentient McMansion

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Dienes posted:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Dienes posted:

A DOOM house?!!?//?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The Sunkest House

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well done lmao

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's bad game design to make a fight literally unwinnable.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Its a house, not a gazebo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I hope Control 2 takes place outside of The Oldest House or some off section of it that's more flexible so I can pick up and throw a Baby Grand piano at whatever the monster of that game is.

But doctor, the monsters are pianos

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Byzantine posted:

it's extremely vulnerable to fire and electrical damage

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

bawk posted:

it's extremely vulnerable to fire and electrical damage

And to sinking into a Swamp

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tunicate posted:

But doctor, the monsters are pianos

Control 2 is set in Big Boo's Haunt

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ghostwire: Tokyo: The pacing in this game is...odd. I expected a slightly too long cutscene-heavy intro, sure, but in this case the game does the oops you've been separated from your spirit partner routine almost immediately. Compare to a similar plot beat in Shadow of War where it comes at the 85% mark. The real point being, it's less about going against formula and more that it drops you into a really obnoxious oops all of your cool powers are gone setpiece that just isn't very fun. And it ends up being resolved almost immediately, in a very unsatisfying way, and all as a clunky means of tutorializing yet more mechanics anyway.

A more general complaint, the game exists in this uneasy state where you're fully expected to abuse your mobility to get up onto rooftops, hop fences, kinda do whatever. But for one the world design is detailed and realistic rather than video game-y so navigating can be tricky due to the visual noise, random props everywhere, etc. And your actual mobility is so stiff and awkward that it constantly feels like I'm doing something wrong. The "pull yourself over this ledge" animation frequently breaks entirely and I just magically warp up to higher ground. Your grapple points are random tengu flying around and often they don't stay still so it's possible to grapple up and not actually land on stable ground. Some areas are only accessible by window washer type lifts, which fly up and down at 100 mph and don't waste your time. But others require climbing ladders where you climb rung. by. rung. in first person, manually.

Parts of the game progression are rigidly designed, where they've built the way you open up more of the world (torii gates, aka your standard Ubisoft towers) into the flow of the story missions and each one tends to go hand in hand with introducing another core mechanic. Which can feel a bit stifling but I don't entirely hate it. But then in other places it feels like they lacked a better place to slot something in so halfway through a lengthy climb up a building there's a random mini-shrine just so they can quickly introduce the mostly-pointless prayer bead "slap these on to gain a tiny bonus to X/Y/Z thing of your choosing" equipment system.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly, I'd be fine if Control was the Luigi's Mansion of Remedy's franchises. Jesse just going along and constantly stumbling across new weirder houses to exorcize the not-ghosts from.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly, I'd be fine if Control was the Luigi's Mansion of Remedy's franchises. Jesse just going along and constantly stumbling across new weirder houses to exorcize the not-ghosts from.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the radio in saints row 4 is still buggy as poo poo years and console generations since release

the shuffle algorithm is all fucky and will play certain songs almost incessantly

the alternative rock station has a bunch of poo poo mixed in from the classical station - as much as I enjoy classic literature, an intentionally bad dramatic reading of Jane Austen is the last thing I want after something like Watch the Duck or AWOLNATION.

also there’s no way to hide completed challenges so when you’re going through for unlocks you have to scroll through the whole list one by one to see what’s actually left

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Rockman Reserve posted:

the radio in saints row 4 is still buggy as poo poo years and console generations since release

the shuffle algorithm is all fucky and will play certain songs almost incessantly

the alternative rock station has a bunch of poo poo mixed in from the classical station - as much as I enjoy classic literature, an intentionally bad dramatic reading of Jane Austen is the last thing I want after something like Watch the Duck or AWOLNATION.

also there’s no way to hide completed challenges so when you’re going through for unlocks you have to scroll through the whole list one by one to see what’s actually left

I don't remember those bugs back when the game came out, did they manage to just keep breaking more and more of it as time went on? Or were those added in the remaster?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was disappointed when Control turned out to not be a simple vignette cruise of weird poo poo and we were really supposed to give a gently caress about nameless organization and lady telekinesis or w/e.

It's the exact same problem the actual SCP poo poo had-- everyone starts taking it too seriously, tries to define characters instead of letting it be pure anthology, mythologizes it to hell and back, and it sucks all the joy and color right out of a wonderful camp concept.

That jank indie game "SCP Containment Breach" was way way more fun, albeit the blink mechanic was properly loving annoying/terrifying.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Looking forward to the day when game designers in the metroid/vania genre realise that not every boss needs multiple phases

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ilmucche posted:

Looking forward to the day when game designers in the metroid/vania genre realise that not every boss needs multiple phases

Blame the Souls games

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Yeah, more tag team bosses please.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

Blame the Souls games

Even Metroid went kind of apeshit with that before Souls was a thing.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah, more tag team bosses please.

The third to last boss in Eden Ring having a cutscene midway through that makes you think it's going into a duo boss but then it's actually just a phase change :pusheen:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Morpheus posted:

Blame the Souls games

All bosses in Elden Ring 2 will have minimum 5 phases. Yes even the tutorial boss.

The entire game takes place in a poison swamp.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

kazil posted:

All bosses in Elden Ring 2 will have minimum 5 phases. Yes even the tutorial boss.

The entire game takes place in a poison swamp.

And at last, video games will be good

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The poison swamp is also a multi phase boss

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Leal posted:

The poison swamp is also a multi phase boss

That's Bed of Chaos

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Are multi-stage bosses not a pretty well-established phenomenon? Like, every 3D Zelda game has multi-phase bosses.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Next we'll complain about a 3d platformer with a boss that does a shockwave attack...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What's the deal with FPS bosses who you need to shoot upwards of 5 or 10 times even though they're just some guy?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got his health bar down to the e in Some, it was so annoying!

I genuinely miss talking like that as a kid about videogames, it's really funny to measure an enemy health bar by how close you got to their first initial. :3:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

With the Souls games at least, it's less that the bosses have multiple phases and more that they have secret full health bars

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The counterpoint is in Tears of the Kingdom, when Ganon just goes "gently caress you" and grows a new health bar all the way out to the side of the screen. I'd be mad, but I've gotta respect that guy's comedy chops

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I wanna see a game where for its final phase/its last desperation move when you get its HP to zero, the boss straight up reaches into the UI, snaps your HP bar in half, and jams the bit it broke off under its own name.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

The ideal boss fight is one where you enter the boss arena and they fall over and fart.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I wanna see a game where it reads your personal info to find your address and sends a SWAT team to your house just as you're about to defeat the final -- Wait, hold on, there's some commotion outside I'll brb

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

bossy lady posted:

The ideal boss fight is one where you enter the boss arena and they fall over and fart.

Monster Hunter, confirmed to have the best boss fights

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

Are multi-stage bosses not a pretty well-established phenomenon? Like, every 3D Zelda game has multi-phase bosses.

kazil posted:

With the Souls games at least, it's less that the bosses have multiple phases and more that they have secret full health bars

yeah, at least in DS1 you (mostly) could tell how far along you were in the boss fight based off of the health bar it first shows. I think the fights that break this rule are the Bell Gargoyles (1.5 health bars total, you get surpised 1/3 of the way through the whole fight) and then again in Ornstein and Smough (you know there's 2 full health bars to empty at the beginning, but if you spread the damage between them then you could actually end up emptying 2.5-ish health bars without foreknowledge)

I think it was Bloodborne's DLC where there was more than one boss that had a full health bar, cutscene, second full health bar. Those carried over into the main game of DSIII, and it got so ridiculous that there was a boss in the first DSIII DLC who had three back-to-back bossfights/health bars to deal with, which was a funny middle finger to the player base but became a recurring problem

I know that Fromsoft did not pioneer the trend, they're just usually good at playing clever pranks on the player so seeing the same prank show up over and over again in their later games fuckin sucks

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm stuck at a boss fight now in Luigi's Mansion 2 that's aggravating in a different way. Suddenly I'm in first person view, chasing and shooting hot coals at a rotating monster face that's made out of a bunch of pieces of ice. You have to hit all the pieces of ice within a set time, as the monster's moving away from you and the shot timing changes. And it resets if you don't hit it fast enough. And your gun overheats enough to end the game if you miss the second try. And you have to complete this three times, with more pieces of ice to clear out each time :negative:

It's one those things that's so aggravating I might just quit here. It's not fun, it's nothing like the game's main mechanic, and it takes way too long to slog through it all just to die in the last phase. It just feels so at odds with the rest of the game, a real "what were the devs thinking?" kind of moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm stuck at a boss fight now in Luigi's Mansion 2 that's aggravating in a different way. Suddenly I'm in first person view, chasing and shooting hot coals at a rotating monster face that's made out of a bunch of pieces of ice. You have to hit all the pieces of ice within a set time, as the monster's moving away from you and the shot timing changes. And it resets if you don't hit it fast enough. And your gun overheats enough to end the game if you miss the second try. And you have to complete this three times, with more pieces of ice to clear out each time :negative:

It's one those things that's so aggravating I might just quit here. It's not fun, it's nothing like the game's main mechanic, and it takes way too long to slog through it all just to die in the last phase. It just feels so at odds with the rest of the game, a real "what were the devs thinking?" kind of moment.

Aaaaand I beat it, picking it back up after making the complaint. I thought the round was completely doomed and was gonna switch to something else after the game over screen, but there it is. Never underestimate the power of getting all huffy about something in the game complaints thread :chord: