Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kanos posted:

It's the same theme as X-Men.

And it runs into the same problem as x-men because like, someone uncontrollably emitting gas from their body that dissolves your flesh isn't just being different. And in the case of the coordinators, the show makes a point that they aren't just athletically better, stronger, and more durable - but smarter and healthier. They're just straight up better people which makes the entire conflict kind of weird in the first place. Lebron James could beat my rear end at any sport, but that's because he's been doing that poo poo for his whole life and I haven't. But like, I can still play basketball at least. Meanwhile the show is pretty explicit that mobile suits are just somehow too complex for a natural to properly pilot and despite studying and developing mobile suits, the people in orb literally needed a coordinator to make their partially automated operating system so they could. It's not just that coordinators are better people, it's the comedic degree to which the show, shows them as being better that's the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Congratulations, you also missed the point of X-Men!

The point that SEED is trying to make is that human beings are human beings and should be entitled to human consideration for each other even if one is faster/smarter/stronger than others and the villains on both sides of the conflict have completely lost sight of that and are consumed by fear of the other. The climax moment of the natural/coordinator relations in SEED is when Athrun, a coordinator, joins hands with Cagalli, a natural, to save the world. It doesn't matter that Athrun can kick Cagalli's rear end five ways from Sunday in martial arts or that he's a better pilot than her.

Lebron James is naturally gifted at basketball - he's spent his whole life busting his rear end to master the sport so he's extremely practiced at it, but there are legions of people who have spent their whole lives doing that too who aren't remotely as good as he is because they lack his inherent talents. This does not mean that Lebron James is a better person than those people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Within the confines of the show they actually do make a point that Naturals can be extremely good at things that Coordinators are not. Someone brought up the "I wonder if Lacus' voice is the product of genetic engineering" thing earlier but the major point of that was that Lacus is a good singer because she puts time and effort into it, not that she is a good singer because of her genetics. Nicol was better at playing the piano than being a pilot and that is what he really wanted to do. People can be good at things in the CE while still being a Natural, and in places where you're not getting over the top discrimination in one way or the other the differences are not as extreme as presented. The obvious intent of SEED is that genetics might make you better at certain things but it doesn't make you a better person.

The show suffers because so much of the conflict in the show revolves around direct 1-to-1 battle both in a literal sense and in a thematic sense, and the end result is that someone who isn't piloting is made to feel less effective. On paper "Cagalli gives her suit to a better pilot so she can focus on leading her country" is not actually a bad plot beat, but within the context of Destiny the problem is that the Akatsuki is a giant glowing golden representation of her will to stand up and fight and lead her country, so her giving it away feels bad thematically and it means that she effectively gets written out of the last arc of the show because she isn't a carrier captain or pilot and so can't directly influence things. (Compared to SEED where she is on the final battlefield and is able to both contribute to fights and to fly up to Athrun and tell him he's a loving moron.)

The heavy Coordinator bias towards pilots also ends up meaning that Coordinators dominate the parts of the show where ideals clash in the form of giant robot fights. Of all the pilots onscreen the only ones who are not drugged up super soldiers or Coordinators are... Cagalli and Mwu, aside from the extremely brief period where Tolle was piloting a Skygrasper and the Astray Girls. And of the two Cagalli is the one with a whole lot more plot weight, which means for good or ill she's really expected to do a whole lot of heavy lifting for representing the Natural side. Even if Mwu is a better pilot on paper, Cagalli needed to be out piloting because her golden mech that represents her ideals clashing with the forces she opposes is how a Gundam show is written. And they still had SEED mode sitting in the wings to bust out if they needed to justify why she can actually survive against Shin for long enough for them to have a Gundam argument!

Like straight up the final battle against Shin absolutely should have involved Cagalli as well as Athrun because that is what the show starts with, Shin yelling at Cagalli and his anger at her/Orb and all of that. Shin losing shouldn't have just involved Athrun cutting his machine down, it should have been Cagalli finding some way to express her regret and ideals to Shin, because "Shin is absurdly angry at Orb" is a major part of his character. This is why one of the things Super Robot Wars likes to do to show Shin's character growth is him showing up to save or help Orb when it is in danger. The angry young woman who struggles with how she can uphold the ideals she struggles with versus the angry young man who suffered the consequence of her father doing the same are natural goddamn rivals.

Edit: Like, Fukuda's thing about "Cagalli is the protagonist of Destiny" is annoying because it should be true. Everything about Destiny is written in such a way that Cagalli and Shin would be natural rivals, not Kira and Shin or even Athrun and Shin. Athrun should have been the bridge between Cagalli and Shin! The writing makes so much more sense if you assume Cagalli and Shin are counterparts.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 16, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nuebot posted:

And it runs into the same problem as x-men because like, someone uncontrollably emitting gas from their body that dissolves your flesh isn't just being different. And in the case of the coordinators, the show makes a point that they aren't just athletically better, stronger, and more durable - but smarter and healthier. They're just straight up better people which makes the entire conflict kind of weird in the first place. Lebron James could beat my rear end at any sport, but that's because he's been doing that poo poo for his whole life and I haven't. But like, I can still play basketball at least. Meanwhile the show is pretty explicit that mobile suits are just somehow too complex for a natural to properly pilot and despite studying and developing mobile suits, the people in orb literally needed a coordinator to make their partially automated operating system so they could. It's not just that coordinators are better people, it's the comedic degree to which the show, shows them as being better that's the issue.

I always use the example of Michael Phelps since he's like a once-in-a-lifetime anomaly and no amount of training will ever make someone on his level.

But on the topic of healthiness, the Coordinators can't properly reproduce. It's never talked about enough, and there could have been interesting drama in Destiny with Kia and Lacus not being able to have children or something, but the idea is that the Coordinators are gonna all die out relatively quickly because the only way they can maintain their numbers is a weird government-directed program. At least that's how I remember it in SEED, dunno if Destiny acknowledges this problem still exists.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I always use the example of Michael Phelps since he's like a once-in-a-lifetime anomaly and no amount of training will ever make someone on his level.

But on the topic of healthiness, the Coordinators can't properly reproduce. It's never talked about enough, and there could have been interesting drama in Destiny with Kia and Lacus not being able to have children or something, but the idea is that the Coordinators are gonna all die out relatively quickly because the only way they can maintain their numbers is a weird government-directed program. At least that's how I remember it in SEED, dunno if Destiny acknowledges this problem still exists.

It is literally the main villain's motivation.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kanos posted:

In the context of the original statement, if you're looking to win the final battle and your choice is "Cagalli goes to the ultra-important final battle in the super mobile suit" or "Mwu goes to the final battle in the super mobile suit", it makes no sense to send Cagalli, even if she can beat a couple of grunt coordinators(of which ZAFT is deploying an indeterminate amount). She's not gonna blow up 30 guys in one go like all the other real named people, and if an enemy ace like Shinn or Rey finds her she's just going to die(as almost happened at ORB when Shinn found her).

The idea they were trying to hit on isn't that coordinators aren't objectively physically superior, it's that naturals and coordinators are both human beings. Kira can kick Sai's rear end with one hand tied behind his back and run circles around him in a mobile suit, but Kira can't deal with people very well and sucks rear end at expressing himself and making his feelings understood, as some examples. Lebron James can beat your rear end at basketball but that doesn't mean he's inherently worth more than you are. The root of the conflict in SEED is both sides forgetting this - coordinators because they're huffing their own farts about the physical superiority and naturals because they're terrified of that physical superiority.

It's the same theme as X-Men.

Mob Psycho 100 would be the more apt comparison imo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It is literally the main villain's motivation.

Durandal? I thought he just thought people would be better off when sorted into roles and stuff. Like, everyone, Coordinator or Natural. He had basically taken over the whole world by the end, hadn't he?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought the George Glenn program in SEED was (according to the vision of Big Boss George Glenn) that the Coordinators would pioneer new realms of experience but would become part of humanity and hook up with Naturals, eventually mixing all the good stuff into humanity at large.

Which has problems given the, uh, eugenic overtones, but be that as it may.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Durandal? I thought he just thought people would be better off when sorted into roles and stuff. Like, everyone, Coordinator or Natural. He had basically taken over the whole world by the end, hadn't he?

Durandal was in love with Talia but they couldn't have children so their duty meant they had to break up so she could marry someone who could. Durandal took from this 'everyone will be happier if their entire life is controlled by their genetics' because it was the only way he could cope with having to give up the woman he loved put of necessity.

Nessus posted:

I thought the George Glenn program in SEED was (according to the vision of Big Boss George Glenn) that the Coordinators would pioneer new realms of experience but would become part of humanity and hook up with Naturals, eventually mixing all the good stuff into humanity at large.

Which has problems given the, uh, eugenic overtones, but be that as it may.

Coordinators were, per George Glenn' supposed to help and facilitate(or rather coordinate) space travel and communication with alien species. He never intended them to replace humanity but to help bridge the gap between humans and potential alien races. Evidence 01 was a huge deal to him and he didn't realize humanity wouldn't see it his way.

He would have loving loved Setsuna.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 16, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've got a hankering to watch Char's Counterattack again. I wonder what initial audiences' reactions were to the film. It feels way more like a direct sequel to 0079 than a conclusion to three different tv series that preceded it and I'm wondering if audiences felt the same way.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

I've got a hankering to watch Char's Counterattack again. I wonder what initial audiences' reactions were to the film. It feels way more like a direct sequel to 0079 than a conclusion to three different tv series that preceded it and I'm wondering if audiences felt the same way.

I think that was the intention honestly, given that it's marketed that way in the trailers i.e. "the conclusion to Amuro and Char's rivalry", which can only refer to 0079 since they are allies in Zeta and don't appear in ZZ (beyond the OP). While you can head-canon some reasoning to Char's actions by including Zeta and ZZ, you also don't actually need to if you ignore their existence entirely and the film makes just as much sense. I'm also pretty sure I've seen mention before that Sunrise wanted to make it to capitalize on the original show's audience now being young adults and being a grown up film for them, since Sunrise as a studio had always wanted a big movie project going off that documentary that was on YouTube for a while about the original show's production, so making a sequel more directly building off the original show than the sequels would make sense.

Plus, as much as people laud Zeta, the original show is and always has been far and away the most popular entry, and while Zeta reached highs of maybe 9 points in the ratings and is often seen as the most successful entry because of it, the original show had audience shares of nearly 30% for some episodes in the couple of years after it's original run during rebroadcasts. It's why Bandai continue to milk the poo poo out of it in various ways even now too, including why for literal decades every UC supplementary animation was heavily tied to the One Year War and even now, most sidestory content still is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hey you know how the first English volume of the Beltorchika's Children manga kept getting delayed and delayed like forever?

It is beginning again with volume 2.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gripweed posted:

Mob Psycho 100 is also, ultimately a show that pitches the idea that hard work, effort, personal commitment, and most importantly personal choice are more representative of a person than their inborn talent. It also definitely makes the point that wherever you go, there you are; people are ultimately just people for good or ill and their abilities, superhuman or not, are merely one part of a whole and don't, can't, won't, and shouldn't wholly define them.

SEED does pitch that a couple of times, but the problem is that SEED and especially DESTINY are series where what they show and what they tell are badly at odds. ImpAtom brings up a good point with the optics around Cagalli and the Akatsuki. On paper written down it can make sense, but on the screen as a show of this genre with these particular tropes and narrative devices and established genre shorthands and the symbols they've established it really doesn't work. When you write it all down, I think I can get why someone would say that Cagalli was the protagonist of DESTINY, but seeing it on screen? There's not a chance in hell I would walk away with that assumption. I walked away from DESTINY with the feeling that Cagalli was decidedly a secondary character, someone vastly diminished from her role in the original that amounted to little more than a plot device because that's what DESTINY showed me.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gripweed posted:

That is a solid comparison but I have no idea if any given person has seen or read Mob Psycho 100 to get the reference(they should).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

NikkolasKing posted:

I'd just like to point out that this whole disagreement started because I thought the way coordinators in seed are portrayed was over the top and cartoonish. Anyway:

The phelps comparison, still, doesn't quite work because he's good at swimming. If he didn't maintain his training he wouldn't be a world record holder. He's not just innately the best at swimming, he just has traits that give him an edge over other people on par with him. Those traits don't also, for an example, make him unnaturally good at chess or coding, or able to knock a dude out with a precisely thrown handgun from across a room. And if coordinators were specifically good at specific things, that'd be one thing. But they're not. They're just flat out better at everything than normals are, and the show constantly reinforces this. Kira sure isn't a trained soldier but he's stronger than most people he knows, can do things they literally can't like pilot a mobile suit - and do it while programming; he can also rapidly recover from illness and injury that would leave a normal bedridden for days. That's not just having a slight advantage. And even other coordinators, people who aren't specifically trained in specific fields, are shown being insanely talented at basically everything they do. And it's not something that really works with real world comparisons because the idea that Lebron James or Michael Phelps are somehow just innately born with a super predisposition to basketball or swimming is really loving weird and isn't how people work in the real world. You don't pop out of the womb with levels in dodgeball or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/phantomnald/status/1736015108541686050

Nuebot posted:

I'd just like to point out that this whole disagreement started because I thought the way coordinators in seed are portrayed was over the top and cartoonish. Anyway:

The phelps comparison, still, doesn't quite work because he's good at swimming. If he didn't maintain his training he wouldn't be a world record holder. He's not just innately the best at swimming, he just has traits that give him an edge over other people on par with him. Those traits don't also, for an example, make him unnaturally good at chess or coding, or able to knock a dude out with a precisely thrown handgun from across a room. And if coordinators were specifically good at specific things, that'd be one thing. But they're not. They're just flat out better at everything than normals are, and the show constantly reinforces this. Kira sure isn't a trained soldier but he's stronger than most people he knows, can do things they literally can't like pilot a mobile suit - and do it while programming; he can also rapidly recover from illness and injury that would leave a normal bedridden for days. That's not just having a slight advantage. And even other coordinators, people who aren't specifically trained in specific fields, are shown being insanely talented at basically everything they do. And it's not something that really works with real world comparisons because the idea that Lebron James or Michael Phelps are somehow just innately born with a super predisposition to basketball or swimming is really loving weird and isn't how people work in the real world. You don't pop out of the womb with levels in dodgeball or whatever.

This is actually not true. Coordinators are not good at everything. They have a set of traits but not all of those traits come through accurately or properly and the specifics depends on the person. It's entirely possible for Naturals to be better that Coordinators at things. Like a Coordinator is likely to be better if their parents custom-tailored their genes to give as many traits as possible that are optimal to being a world class swimmer, but that doesn't mean every Coordinator is going to be better. Even among Coordinators there are significant differences in talent and skills.

That's in fact the entire point behind the Super Coordinator project. Coordinators are subject to variation and change based off their parents, birth conditions, genetic quirks and other things. Kira Yamato is the exception because he came out exactly 100% as intended with no variation whatsoever because he was born via an artificial womb using illegal technology. Kira is basically the idealized form of what a Coordinator would be and even that took a bucketload of multiple failed tries.

Hell, it's worth noting that Rau and Rey (and Prayer) are not actually Coordinators. They're Naturals, because Al Da Flaga is a weird lovely dude who never wanted his pure genes diluted, which is why he wanted perfect clones instead. (And he hated Mwu because he was 'tainted' by his mom's DNA.) Despite that they are more than capable of keeping up with Coordinators, though a good chunk of that is likely due to them being Newtypes.

If you go into Astray it goes even further. Elijah, Gai Murakumo's pal, is a 'failed' Coordinator for example. He's a Coordinator who ended basically on the same level as a Natural. He's a subpar pilot who gets better only because he works his rear end off despite being a Coordinator, and there's a number of Coordinators who are great scientists but basically crap at physical activity because of genetic quirks or their parent's choices.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 17, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A Natural can defeat a Coordinator simply by never saving anything for the swim back.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

https://twitter.com/phantomnald/status/1736015108541686050

This is actually not true. Coordinators are not good at everything. They have a set of traits but not all of those traits come through accurately or properly and the specifics depends on the person. It's entirely possible for Naturals to be better that Coordinators at things. Like a Coordinator is likely to be better if their parents custom-tailored their genes to give as many traits as possible that are optimal to being a world class swimmer, but that doesn't mean every Coordinator is going to be better. Even among Coordinators there are significant differences in talent and skills.

That's in fact the entire point behind the Super Coordinator project. Coordinators are subject to variation and change based off their parents, birth conditions, genetic quirks and other things. Kira Yamato is the exception because he came out exactly 100% as intended with no variation whatsoever because he was born via an artificial womb using illegal technology. Kira is basically the idealized form of what a Coordinator would be and even that took a bucketload of multiple failed tries.

Hell, it's worth noting that Rau and Rey (and Prayer) are not actually Coordinators. They're Naturals, because Al Da Flaga is a weird lovely dude who never wanted his pure genes diluted, which is why he wanted perfect clones instead. (And he hated Mwu because he was 'tainted' by his mom's DNA.) Despite that they are more than capable of keeping up with Coordinators, though a good chunk of that is likely due to them being Newtypes.

If you go into Astray it goes even further. Elijah, Gai Murakumo's pal, is a 'failed' Coordinator for example. He's a Coordinator who ended basically on the same level as a Natural. He's a subpar pilot who gets better only because he works his rear end off despite being a Coordinator, and there's a number of Coordinators who are great scientists but basically crap at physical activity because of genetic quirks or their parent's choices.

Honestly the show is really muddled on this. George Glenn is described as follows:

"He explained that his body surpasses that of unaltered humans in every aspect-strength, intelligence, and creativity."

He was an MIT Olympian who broke football records while being a fighter pilot and inventing space colonies.

Which sure as gently caress sounds like 'we are genetically better than you at anything'. Some coordinators are better than others at some tasks, but only a handful of non-augmented naturals regularly keep up with coordinators, and most of those are Al La Flaga, his kid or his clones.

While Destiny does show Lacus as floundering when put into a cockpit, I'd argue that is simply unfamiliarity. She'd been in it for as long as it took to fall from orbit. I'd be willing to bet Lacus could be a competent fighter given training.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It's also notable that, compared to past shows, most Naturals just... suck. Like, you look at random GM or Zaku pilots, they die like flies, but they still tend to outperform mook Coordinators, who just stand there and wait to be lasered. When that's the level above and beyond the EA, it's kind of sad.

I'm not working on full information, mind, since I just watched the movies, but the whole thing with naturals not being able to pilot MS really stands out. It seems to exist primarily to make Kira important in the same way as Amuro (The Only Pilot), but it pushes the EA from feeling weaker than ZAFT to feeling weaker than any other Gundam faction. A minor issue when they're on the same side as Kira (the faction the hero belongs to being as much or more impediment than help is a cherished Gundam tradition) but it becomes a major one when they're the main villain faction, since incompetent opponents make the protagonists much less impressive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

It's also notable that, compared to past shows, most Naturals just... suck. Like, you look at random GM or Zaku pilots, they die like flies, but they still tend to outperform mook Coordinators, who just stand there and wait to be lasered. When that's the level above and beyond the EA, it's kind of sad.

I'm not working on full information, mind, since I just watched the movies, but the whole thing with naturals not being able to pilot MS really stands out. It seems to exist primarily to make Kira important in the same way as Amuro (The Only Pilot), but it pushes the EA from feeling weaker than ZAFT to feeling weaker than any other Gundam faction. A minor issue when they're on the same side as Kira (the faction the hero belongs to being as much or more impediment than help is a cherished Gundam tradition) but it becomes a major one when they're the main villain faction, since incompetent opponents make the protagonists much less impressive.

It's not quite that. Naturals can pilot MSes but they don't have the data they need to actually make them work as well as they should. This is one of the things SEED borrows from the original Gundam, where Amuro's learning computer data was given to GMs to make them combat ready a lot quicker. (Obviously errata stuff has long since rendered this meaningless since you had Gundams and GMs on every corner of the globe well before Amuro first got into the Gundam.) From there on it's basically the same exact deal as OG Gundam: The Earth has a lot of newbie pilots, ZAFT has a much smaller number of more experienced pilots.

It shuffles it around a bit but it's basically just taking the idea of the Learning Computer's Combat Data and putting it way more front and center. Which is why you have the joke/notjoke in Astray where Lowe is literally using the RX782's (or some thinly veiled copy's) Learning Computer to let him pilot the Astray despite being a Natural.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

It's not quite that. Naturals can pilot MSes but they don't have the data they need to actually make them work as well as they should. This is one of the things SEED borrows from the original Gundam, where Amuro's learning computer data was given to GMs to make them combat ready a lot quicker. (Obviously errata stuff has long since rendered this meaningless since you had Gundams and GMs on every corner of the globe well before Amuro first got into the Gundam.) From there on it's basically the same exact deal as OG Gundam: The Earth has a lot of newbie pilots, ZAFT has a much smaller number of more experienced pilots.

It shuffles it around a bit but it's basically just taking the idea of the Learning Computer's Combat Data and putting it way more front and center. Which is why you have the joke/notjoke in Astray where Lowe is literally using the RX782's (or some thinly veiled copy's) Learning Computer to let him pilot the Astray despite being a Natural.

The idea that the RX-78-2's learning computer was necessary to make the GM's usable because of it's combat data was itself errata, and not actually a consideration in the original show. The learning computer was mentioned all of twice in the original show, once in the first episode when Amuro is reading the manual and once in episode 4 at Luna II, where Amuro tries to excuse his performance to the rest of the White Base crew by highlighting it; which Ryu immediately puts down as him being modest. Beyond that, it never comes up again, and Amuro's performance is instead explained by constant training, either through explicit mentions of him doing a lot of training during the first half in the White Base's simulators or montages of him training specific moves like trying to get his docking/undocking time with the core fighter down, and Newtype perceptions once they leave Earth again.

It's also worth noting that while Zeon did have more experienced pilots, they didn't actually have that many themselves, bearing in mind that the war had been at a stalemate for 6 months or more and that the Federation had virtually no presence in space, which is where Zeon mostly used mobile suits in the original show (M'Quve being the only commander on Earth we're shown with a significant mobile suit force) so most Zeon pilots only real experience was in actually moving the mobile suit and not much more because they hadn't even really been fighting other ships or fighters given the state of the conflict. None of the other pilots shown on Char's ship while pursuing the White Base to Earth seem like combat veterans for instance. You obviously have a few actual veterans from the early war, like the Black Tri-Stars, sprinkled around, but for the most part Zeon seem to be relying on inexperienced pilots during the original show too. Hence Tem's comment in the first episode that both sides are using kids as young as Bright now.

tsob fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 17, 2023

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Kanos posted:

Congratulations, you also missed the point of X-Men!

The point that SEED is trying to make is that human beings are human beings and should be entitled to human consideration for each other even if one is faster/smarter/stronger than others and the villains on both sides of the conflict have completely lost sight of that and are consumed by fear of the other. The climax moment of the natural/coordinator relations in SEED is when Athrun, a coordinator, joins hands with Cagalli, a natural, to save the world. It doesn't matter that Athrun can kick Cagalli's rear end five ways from Sunday in martial arts or that he's a better pilot than her.

Lebron James is naturally gifted at basketball - he's spent his whole life busting his rear end to master the sport so he's extremely practiced at it, but there are legions of people who have spent their whole lives doing that too who aren't remotely as good as he is because they lack his inherent talents. This does not mean that Lebron James is a better person than those people.

I just finished SEED myself, and that's how I viewed the Natural/Coordinate conflict. With the added "War is Bad" as both sides start to escalate atrocities, justifying it as trying to end the war swiftly, until the finale where Earth Forces are firing nukes at the colonies while ZAFT aims its space laser at Earth to completely wipe the other out.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

tsob posted:

It's also worth noting that while Zeon did have more experienced pilots, they didn't actually have that many themselves,

That’s no longer true, they had like a dozen Johnny Riddens running around.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Riding around, surely.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ojjeorago posted:

That’s no longer true, they had like a dozen Johnny Riddens running around.

The whole post was in reference to the original show, not how that's been changed over the years.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think that observation may have been somewhat facetious

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
The problem here- well, its only sort of a problem- is that the OYW and the treatment of Zeon vs the Federation is based on the bad and inherently flawed 1960's view of WW2 History. The one that was colored and based on the post war memoirs of many German officers and incorporated myths like "It took 12 Shermans to kill one German Tank", while also relying on Axis Propaganda treated as fact like "The Allies only won by having numerical and materiel superiority and relying on human wave attacks- they were never as good as soldiers as us". It runs through all of Gundam, really, and SEED isn't even the worst offender of it. It just does it because its uncreatively aping the OYW from Gundam, and in the OYW, every Postwar Memoir and war era piece of copium written by the Japanese and Nazi German military about why they're losing is true.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

...is that how gundam treats the OYW? my understanding was the zakus were essentially allegorical to the "Mitsubishi A6M Zero" which a quick check on wikipedia says "In early combat operations, the Zero gained a reputation as a dogfighter,[2] achieving an outstanding kill ratio of 12 to 1,[3] but by mid-1942 a combination of new tactics and the introduction of better equipment enabled Allied pilots to engage the Zero on generally equal terms.[4]" which seems fairly accurate to how gundam has treated OYW depictions of zeon military capabilities. mostly the OYW seems to have disproportionately extended the period of time the zaku/zero held supremacy?

now i'm no historian and wikipedia isn't exactly an ironclad source but i am interested to hear the ways in which the original depiction of the OYW was influenced by effectively postwar fascist propaganda

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 17, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it's more nuanced than that. When propaganda appears in 0079 it's usually countered with stark reality. You can talk up the supreme power of the Tiger Tank or the Ki-84 and the superior fascist engineering but all that means nothing when Kycilia is stuck throwing novice student pilots into Gelgoogs because all of those indomitable Zeon aces are dead at the hands of the Gundam. The various mobile armour / suit of the week engagements track pretty close to the production issues that plagued the Axis powers where so much was invested into a new war winning wunderwaffe that stripped resources away from tried and tested machinery and usually didn't amount to much in the way of shifting the strategic balance.

There's also the question of intent. What might be intended by the show originally in 1979 doesn't necessarily mean that modern audiences will draw the same conclusions. Tomino flips between being exceedingly blatant with his messaging and also letting things stand on their own for viewers to interpret. So in that latter grey area it might be easier for a modern viewer to recognize fascist bullshitting for what it is whereas a viewer at the time the show aired might not see it that way just because they grew up surrounded by mid 20th century historiography about WW2.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 17, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

honestly fivemarks keeps coming into the thread once in a blue moon to say that gundam is obviously and plainly fascist and i'd really like to hear them substantiate these kinds of claims and analysis. i feel like every time i look into the gundam/fascism apologia cross section i'm left concluding that it really doesn't track at all outside of some very surface level elements, but the whole gundam glorifying zeon thing is a pretty popular viewpoint (sometimes from people i otherwise think highly of the opinions of) so it'd be nice to see what i'm missing from that interpretation.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i know* the answer is "igloo" but these conversations are very rarely actually about igloo

*haven't seen it so i guess i don't actually know

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

i know* the answer is "igloo" but these conversations are very rarely actually about igloo

*haven't seen it so i guess i don't actually know

The answer is also 0083! And a bit of The Origin as well (though that's in a very different way and definitely not what fivemarks was talking about)

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

ninjewtsu posted:

honestly fivemarks keeps coming into the thread once in a blue moon to say that gundam is obviously and plainly fascist and i'd really like to hear them substantiate these kinds of claims and analysis. i feel like every time i look into the gundam/fascism apologia cross section i'm left concluding that it really doesn't track at all outside of some very surface level elements, but the whole gundam glorifying zeon thing is a pretty popular viewpoint (sometimes from people i otherwise think highly of the opinions of) so it'd be nice to see what i'm missing from that interpretation.

I'm not even saying its fash- I'm saying that the OYW is clearly based on WW2, but because it was written in the 1970's, its made with a 1970's Japanese history of WW2. Which, because all history of WW2 up until maybe the 90's incorporated things that were factually untrue, its going to include things inspire by the untrue stuff. Like the Honorable Zeon Officer Who doesn't like the Gihren stuff but is an Honorable Soldier, for example- that's clearly based on the way Rommel -and a lot of German officers- were viewed by the history of the war at the time Gundam was being written.

Edit: That the "Clean Wehrmacht" and "Good honorable non-nazi german officer" myths came about after the war and entered pop history of the war doesn't make Gundam fascist because Tomino was inspired by that widely accepted history when he wrote Gundam, either. And that's not a bad thing on Tomino, either, its easier and more effective to tell a "War is Bad" story when you can point to the side that would be bad on first blush but then go "It has honorable and noble people working for it."

Double Edit: Just to super clarify, I don't think Gundam itself is inherently fascist or nationalistic or promotes the idea of a Master Race in general. I think certain Gundam Entries ARE very fashy (0083, Unicorn, IGLOO), and others are dangerously master race-ey (SEED and Destiny, in particular)- but this is me noticing the similarities between the Cold War Historiography of WW2 and how 0079 portrays the Federation and Zeon in the OYW.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 17, 2023

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I watched Narrative this morning and it’s really funny that the first thing Banagher says after stepping out of the cockpit at the end is “even so,” a real “stop trying to make fetch happen” moment.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I watched Narrative this morning and it’s really funny that the first thing Banagher says after stepping out of the cockpit at the end is “even so,” a real “stop trying to make fetch happen” moment.

Banagher loves three things.

Saying "even so!", giant guns, and Mineva. His work keeps him connected to all three. We should all be so lucky.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If only he could keep his mech arms connected to his mobile suit. Guess there were just a lot of leftover Silver Bullet arms laying around.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

has he tried just holding it with two hands?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Bond 10 on Gorgon today! Only ~300+ days of bond farming to go to get her to 120 (unless she's on a banner before then lol).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

Bond 10 on Gorgon today! Only ~300+ days of bond farming to go to get her to 120 (unless she's on a banner before then lol).

Gacha gaming is a disease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
More of a blight, really.