Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Crisp chat, motherfuckers (courtesy of my friend Andy)

I haven't had these for ages (no place locally stocks them) but they are pleasantly lethal. I find almost any spicy snack thats available in the UK has a kick to it but not enough if you really enjoy that sensation, but these were definitely up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Changing my name to Exceso Calorias

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

muy caliente!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Wachter posted:

Changing my name to Exceso Calorias

Exceso Calorias
Exceso Calorias
Exceso Calorias
Et Sodium

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

smellmycheese posted:

Unsurprising he felt ill. Those are past their sell by date

I'm pretty sure 20DIC23 is the sell-by date, so they'll become spoiled and inedible at midnight in 4 days (that's how it works right?)

FP is probably fecha de producción or similar

</languagenerd>

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Gorn Myson posted:

I haven't had these for ages (no place locally stocks them) but they are pleasantly lethal. I find almost any spicy snack thats available in the UK has a kick to it but not enough if you really enjoy that sensation, but these were definitely up there.

I find that it’s hard to judge from any kind of packaging whether something is actually spicy or not. Everything with a hint of a kick to it is advertised as CAUTION: THIS FLAVOUR IS AGAINST THE GENEVA CONVENTION skull-and-crossbones marketing shite, and it’s impossible to know whether they’re full of poo poo or if they’re actually going to kill me.

I like spice, but I’m not the kind of person who’ll happily eat chilis that were genetically engineered by sadists to push the boundaries of human pain, so trying something new is often a trial and error process filled with random bursts of disappointment and regret.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Surprise T Rex posted:

I find that it’s hard to judge from any kind of packaging whether something is actually spicy or not. Everything with a hint of a kick to it is advertised as CAUTION: THIS FLAVOUR IS AGAINST THE GENEVA CONVENTION skull-and-crossbones marketing shite, and it’s impossible to know whether they’re full of poo poo or if they’re actually going to kill me.

I like spice, but I’m not the kind of person who’ll happily eat chilis that were genetically engineered by sadists to push the boundaries of human pain, so trying something new is often a trial and error process filled with random bursts of disappointment and regret.

Thing is, human spice tolerance is so wide and varied there are many people who think flaming monster munch are intolerably hot. I have colleagues who can't handle black pepper (they also don't eat veggies either)

I love spicy food, and will regularly smother things in habanero sauce, I love the spiciest Madras I can get with nuclear hot lime pickle and will add double the amount of red curry paste to a Thai curry as I like it to look like this
and remove my face as I eat it.

However above that there's a whole world of insanity. If I go to the USA or South Korea, I do not order hot or spicy and even medium makes me sweat. The Korean black buldak noodles you can buy here are so spicy you start to see through time towards the end of them, and my indian sister-in-law chops up raw scotch bonnets into salad for example as she says they're "zesty"

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't like spice, I can tolerate a bit but don't actively enjoy it. I like a bit of tang though, I enjoy pickles and such.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Private Speech posted:

The best bit about it is the whole "my dad had a tool factory was a toolmaker so I come from a working-class family".

everything they do is based on the belief that british voters are thick as pig poo poo, op

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i prefer a wee korma or a mild chilli, my holes get plenty stimulated by means other than spices

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

i prefer a wee korma

I prefer chicken

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

crispix posted:

everything they do is based on the belief that british voters are thick as pig poo poo, op

we are, op

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Mebh posted:

Thing is, human spice tolerance is so wide and varied there are many people who think flaming monster munch are intolerably hot. I have colleagues who can't handle black pepper (they also don't eat veggies either)

I love spicy food, and will regularly smother things in habanero sauce, I love the spiciest Madras I can get with nuclear hot lime pickle and will add double the amount of red curry paste to a Thai curry as I like it to look like this
and remove my face as I eat it.

However above that there's a whole world of insanity. If I go to the USA or South Korea, I do not order hot or spicy and even medium makes me sweat. The Korean black buldak noodles you can buy here are so spicy you start to see through time towards the end of them, and my indian sister-in-law chops up raw scotch bonnets into salad for example as she says they're "zesty"

Good to see someone making good use of that mummy-juice they found.

I once agreed to a chilli eating contest involving a Carolina reaper, a bonnet, and a Trinidad scorpion. The reaper is technically meant to be hotter but something about the scorpion was just mind meltingly intense. One guy got involuntary cramping in his hands from it. I basically tried to drown myself in milk. It was very unpleasant but in a sort of fun way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

my holes get plenty stimulated by means other than spices
This is the sort of thing that we really need in the world food aisles.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I think we need to differentiate between heat and spice here, spicy things can be "hot" but not blowing your sinuses the gently caress out - eating dried out ghost peppers is the more "heat" side of this. Your exposure to it as a kid probably dictates how willing you are to do it now - I grew up all over the place and love things hot and spicy. Jalapenos and cheese on toast is ballin'

Conversely there have been plenty of times where something's been advertised as hot or spicy and it's been bland and tame, the UK not really being a major offender if you get authentic world cuisines - Vindaloos will blow your head off if you're not careful.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Microplastics posted:

I prefer chicken

i actually make it with quorn, op, i call it my quorma!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL :)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can't say you've tried spicy food until you've run a dozen habaneros through a meat grinder and fried them as a sausage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYuQSr34yvk

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Steir Korma

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
bake like a skelpt arse

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

I love spicy food but I don't eat that much of it because I cannot guarantee the type of spice I'm ingesting is going to get digested before its time for the train to leave the station.

The sensation of spice making it unscathed past the stomach and reconnecting with whatever receptors it attaches to further along is something I'm not able to describe much better than calling it "bowel nausea" and is a hell of a way of livening up team meetings when it starts up.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I know twitter embeds are still hosed, but this is a pro click. It's the video of Suella being pranked the other day

https://twitter.com/TheLastLeg/status/1736003322044133394

I love how they both just walk off at the end leaving her standing there.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

LoL at the sad little 'this is going to go viral isnt it' at the end.

I never used to like spicy food until i realised that there are different types and different strengths of spicy.

Now i like to cook mid tier spicy things that are flavourful, but I am not a fan of the kind of spicy that just hurts, you have to be an insane person for that sort of thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't at all like hot things, just kinda turns my tongue off and I can't taste anything. But there's stuff like paprika which is mostly just pleasant flavours.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Failed Imagineer posted:

Hey kid I'm a computer, stop all the downloading

Belated great post/av combo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tigey posted:

Belated great post/av combo

Lol

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

andyf posted:

The sensation of spice making it unscathed past the stomach and reconnecting with whatever receptors it attaches to further along is something I'm not able to describe much better than calling it "bowel nausea" and is a hell of a way of livening up team meetings when it starts up.

Bowel nausea is pretty accurate. You have taste receptors in your intestines, but they're not connected to the same part of the brain that the ones in your mouth are. In the same way you might vomit something that was very bitter or 'off', anything your guts tastes that might harm you gets very hastily moved through.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This should be entertaining

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Presumably they're mates.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Presumably they're mates.

I'm unsure. Mone isn't well liked even among Tory ranks. Regardless, I love watching entitled and very guilty people squirm on camera, so it should be entertaining

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Diet Crack posted:

Conversely there have been plenty of times where something's been advertised as hot or spicy and it's been bland and tame, the UK not really being a major offender if you get authentic world cuisines - Vindaloos will blow your head off if you're not careful.

Me and some mates went to Berlin the other year, and we noticed quite a few people having curry for lunch: that's obviously a thing there. So we found a popular place, got settled, were warned by the waiter that we'd chosen a particularly spicy selection... and then it was like eating tomato soup. Germans do curry, but they don't do heat, apparently.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Sigh, why does filling out this tax self assessment form make me feel like an idiot.

I gotta do it for claiming childcare and earning over 50k because it can't all be worked out automatically for some loving reason.

But it turns out it's not just that it's asking for.

In addition to the basics like asking for my total pay (which is a ballache because I changed jobs and salaries in 22/23) , but it also wants the cost of things like company perks (like private healthcare).

This should have been detailed to me in a p11d form, but I've never had one of those despite always having private healthcare with my companies.

It also wants me to detail poo poo like the interest I gained from my bank accounts (a whopping £76 for the year BTW).

The private healthcare and stuff like bank account interest has never come up in all the years I've never done a self assessment. Can I just ignore that poo poo or am I gonna get done for not declaring that £70 bank interest?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah tell me about it. It's a right ballache and coutts don't do you any favours with their illogical online interface, at least its easier to navigate than most of the Swiss banks I guess.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My friend's sister is in a restaurant in Horsforth and Keith is there. I would have to say something to him if I saw him.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

depending on how much over 50k you are, you can just up your pre-tax private pension contributions until your gross paid salary is at or just below 50k. bing bong

if you're way over 50k then wtf just pay for childcare

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/16/sunak-accused-toxic-rhetoric-after-warning-overwhelming-migration-europe

quote:

Sunak accused of toxic rhetoric after warning of ‘overwhelming’ migration to Europe

Rishi Sunak has been accused of adopting the “toxic” rhetoric of his former home secretary Suella Braverman, after he warned that migration would “overwhelm” European countries without firm action.

In remarks that will further inflame the Tory row over migration that has been raging for weeks, the prime minister said that “enemies” were “deliberately driving people to our shores to try to destabilise our society”.

Sunak made the comments at a festival in Rome organised by the far-right Brothers of Italy party, led by the Italian premier Giorgia Meloni. He said that both he and Meloni, with whom he has been forging a close relationship over hardline migration policies, were taking inspiration from Margaret Thatcher’s steadfast radicalism in their quest to do “whatever it takes” to “stop the boats”.

sigh

e A video snippet of the fascist dwarf. He's gone full Trumpian now: https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1736022284056314265

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 16, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

And why are so many migrants coming here, motherfucker?

Why are so many migrants coming here?

E: oh wait, he said that. "Enemies" are doing it. Well that explains everything then, no further questions.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 16, 2023

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Sunak loves being with that fascist Italian PM, he doesn't even to wear his high heels for the photo ops

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

kecske posted:

depending on how much over 50k you are, you can just up your pre-tax private pension contributions until your gross paid salary is at or just below 50k. bing bong

if you're way over 50k then wtf just pay for childcare

Yeah, I'm just over £50k and that's what I was planning to do, though I didn't think about that approach until recently and with just 3 months of pay left, I'd probably have to chuck loads in to bring me under for the year.

Which isn't gonna be possible cos my wife's on maternity leave and her pay drops to 50% from now until April (where it drops to 0%) and we still have a £1000 a month nursery fee to pay on top of everything else.

Annoyingly, some back of napkin sums for 2022/2023 put my total pay at something like £51k for the year with the job change too.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Do charity donations come off the total?

Or donations to a political party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

sebzilla posted:

Crisp chat, motherfuckers (courtesy of my friend Andy)

takis are super popular in los angeles, but the super flavored ones will cause lots of pain if you try to eat a whole bag in one sitting. for the original variety i honestly find the heavy use of citric acid to get the citrus taste more uncomfortable then whatever chili powder goes on it