Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They couldn't even clone their last game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
All I’m saying is that humans not bringing pets or bringing so few they die out in a couple generations isn’t that unbelievable. Speaking of, are there any chickens in Starfield? I honestly can’t remember. Any future with out buffalo wings isn’t a future worth preserving, I say.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Humans livably colonizing space isn't believable who cares about whether pets are believable lol

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are there any positives to this game. Is making the ship fun

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Robobot posted:

No dogs or cats is one of the most believable things about the emergency evacuation of earth. Why bring three dogs or six cats when you could bring another person? Why waste very limited resources on pets?

lol is this a serious question?

like you don't know anybody who prefers the company of cats and dogs to the company of people? someone would choose the longterm company of a cat or dog over an endlessly chattering, complicated human in a heartbeat? especially people deeply involved in the relevant scientific and academic fields?

do you think all humans faced with the prospect of evacuating from earth would so consistently choose humans over pets thinking logically and purely about resource consumption and not reacting emotionally to the situation or putting their feelings first, and that would happen so consistently that dogs would literally go extinct?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Aesop Poprock posted:

the ship builder is imo, the most fun part of the game. the problem is, there's not really much to do with your ship once you've built it, other than stand around in a shipyard and admire it. the space combat still sucks no matter what you build, and that's pretty much the only activity involving your ship like at all.

also, you can make ships that look cool on the outside, but you have little to no control over the resulting interior layout. so if you are making something big, i hope you like ladders.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:frogbon:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Earwicker posted:

like you don't know anybody who prefers the company of cats and dogs to the company of people? someone would choose the longterm company of a cat or dog over an endlessly chattering, complicated human in a heartbeat? especially people deeply involved in the relevant scientific and academic fields?

do you think all humans faced with the prospect of evacuating from earth would so consistently choose humans over pets thinking logically and purely about resource consumption and not reacting emotionally to the situation or putting their feelings first, and that would happen so consistently that dogs would literally go extinct?

i dunno about robobot but im bringing my freaking dog over anyone else in my life first lmao

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I heard someone describe the game as a worse star citizen which made me wonder what star citizen even looks like in 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Aesop Poprock posted:

I heard someone describe the game as a worse star citizen which made me wonder what star citizen even looks like in 2023

ive never played star citizen but i was under the impression you had to spend real money on each individual spaceship you get in that game which seems mind-bogglingly dumb to me. starfield is bad but at least all it cost me was time.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

If we were evacuating the Earth I would put any random flea-riddled stray mutt off the street onto the ship over literally every single SA poster combined including myself and you all would agree I was making the right choice

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

:haibrow:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Robobot posted:

No dogs or cats is one of the most believable things about the emergency evacuation of earth. Why bring three dogs or six cats when you could bring another person? Why waste very limited resources on pets?

Why we couldn’t have alien dogs or cats though, that’s the question. Design a couple fun alien pets. Isn’t even that hard. Just make something with big eyes and a happy smirk with too few or too many legs and call it a day.

Imagine a dog might be nice on a ship as a break from all the lifeless spaced out apes. The humanlike species in Starfield aren't as complex or nuanced as human beings, can't assume they can even tell the difference between another of their species and a dog.

If Starfield had humans I would expect at least one ship of horses and horse girls and a giant saucer dog park full of dogs and dog lovers. There's a cat ship too but it's only in the game via rumours as it's doing its own mysterious thing unseen.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Asterite34 posted:

If we were evacuating the Earth I would put any random flea-riddled stray mutt off the street onto the ship over literally every single SA poster combined including myself and you all would agree I was making the right choice

Nobody ever argued goons were humans

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Earwicker posted:

ive never played star citizen but i was under the impression you had to spend real money on each individual spaceship you get in that game which seems mind-bogglingly dumb to me. starfield is bad but at least all it cost me was time.

I think the story sold to backers is that once the game is released you will be able to fritter away endless hours doing tedious insufferable activities to slowly earn in-game currencies to eventually buy the ships and insurance for the ships. If this were a real game, then that would essentially be the same sucker deal as most f2p type whale games. Buncha goobers with no regard for their own time doing the most trivial and repetitive nonsense for way too many hours so that a dingus with 500 bucks to waste can clown on toilers.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Earwicker posted:

No, in fact I’d prefer to have pets in space as well since I like dogs. But I could see if such a far fetched situation ever happened people might not be given the option to bring their pets.

I just find it a weird gripe is all. It’s an exploration game with no exploration. I’m more annoyed there’s no cool caves or research facilities or environmental storytelling more so than not being able to see poorly modeled cats falling through the floor of my ship or a dog clipping into a shelf and sending dozens of books flying around the room at light speed…….you know what, I’m wrong. There should have been dogs and cats in the game.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Robobot posted:

No, in fact I’d prefer to have pets in space as well since I like dogs. But I could see if such a far fetched situation ever happened people might not be given the option to bring their pets.

I just find it a weird gripe is all. It’s an exploration game with no exploration. I’m more annoyed there’s no cool caves or research facilities or environmental storytelling more so than not being able to see poorly modeled cats falling through the floor of my ship or a dog clipping into a shelf and sending dozens of books flying around the room at light speed…….you know what, I’m wrong. There should have been dogs and cats in the game.

It's less that specific gripe, and more that it's a thing you can point to that's emblematic of the larger problem: Bethesda made a universe of dead-eyed boring cultureless homunculi, and rather than, you know, not do that, they made lore that lazily justified it after the fact

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Aesop Poprock posted:

I spent the majority of my play time saving up money to make a cool ship. I bought a cool ship and put all my level up points in Piloting. My cool ship was basically a super heavy fighter with 0 cargo or non weapons stuff. I did a quest line where I got to be a Starship Designer.

I got lost in the ship they gave me from that quest line. You had to exit the ship through a hidden ladder in like the pantry of the kitchen of the map room of the cafeteria.

Then towards the end of the game I had squirreled away about a million space dollars, a fortune. I could finally build whatever ship I wanted. Then I realized that the big unique ship components were scattered across the galaxy and that I couldn’t just shop for them from the ENORMOUS SHIP BUILDER I SPECIFICALLY HAULED RAW MATERIALS AND CONSTRUCTED ON CALLISTO.

By then I realized it wouldn’t matter. No ship I could construct would be meaningfully different from my super heavy fighter in terms of dogfighting. I could cripple myself and remove the Particle Beams, which inexplicably have 4x the range and 2x the damage of every other weapon in the game. I could make the interior a huge mess of rooms and ladders. I could fast travel upwards of two dozen times to all the various shipbuilders to grab all their fun components. I could install a mod to try and centralize the components and briefly brick my game, which I did. I uninstalled it and admitted that I was dumb and stupid.

Then the game takes away your custom ship and gives you an epilogue ship that is 100% barren and useless. What a fitting metaphor.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Asterite34 posted:

It's less that specific gripe, and more that it's a thing you can point to that's emblematic of the larger problem: Bethesda made a universe of dead-eyed boring cultureless homunculi, and rather than, you know, not do that, they made lore that lazily justified it after the fact

yeah, also nothing about Earth and the evacuation thereof makes any kind of sense

like, ok, I understand the environmental havoc humankind is wrecked, the oceans dried up and the planet turned into a desert and everyone left. but if you acually land on Earth, it's like a cue ball. No ruins, and it's completely flat anywhere you land. So not only is every trace of human infrastructure including huge cities like NYC completely wiped out with no trace but also... somehow... every mountain on the planet has been flattened. Land in the middle of the Himalayas and you'll still be looking at a flat, endless expanse of desert. there's absolutley no kind of environmental damage humans are capable of that would flatten all of the mountains on the planet, and erase all traces of the former continents. it's just pure laziness.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Earwicker posted:

yeah, also nothing about Earth and the evacuation thereof makes any kind of sense

like, ok, I understand the environmental havoc humankind is wrecked, the oceans dried up and the planet turned into a desert and everyone left. but if you acually land on Earth, it's like a cue ball. No ruins, and it's completely flat anywhere you land. So not only is every trace of human infrastructure including huge cities like NYC completely wiped out with no trace but also... somehow... every mountain on the planet has been flattened. Land in the middle of the Himalayas and you'll still be looking at a flat, endless expanse of desert. there's absolutley no kind of environmental damage humans are capable of that would flatten all of the mountains on the planet, and erase all traces of the former continents. it's just pure laziness.

Lol even worse, there are a handful of locations with snow globes to collect on Earth. A generic wasteland with a single building inexplicably left standing. Nothing to a really do or explore at them, just a single lovely building of presumably arbitrary scale plopped down.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Procedurally generated worlds? So 2010s. Starfield is the first game to procedurally generate its entire development.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Robobot posted:

Good boy.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Khanstant posted:

Lol even worse, there are a handful of locations with snow globes to collect on Earth. A generic wasteland with a single building inexplicably left standing. Nothing to a really do or explore at them, just a single lovely building of presumably arbitrary scale plopped down.

Whomst amongst us does not have a deep emotional connection to the Burj Khalifa, and seeing it rise all lovely above a barren sandy wasteland makes you weep.

Look upon my trunkless legs. Look upon my lovely loving game and despair.

Good thing they let you land anywhere on Earth (and it all looks the same) so some loving nerd can datamine the locations in the game files and tell you to land on coordinates 42.234 -21.4556 to see a real hosed up Taj Mahal. Oh wow hope I can find a bunch of random loving books checked out from the library in people’s lockers and desks that tell me how to drive my spaceship over to loving St Louis. Turns out the Arch is a real piece of poo poo in TYOOL 2378 or whatever. The pathos

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
People love Earth, and there are complete topological maps of the whole thing. Even in barren wasteland form, going to the coordinates of cool locations or mundane local ones would be interesting for people. Especially since you can build a base, weak as that element is. They make up the rules and design, nobody forced them to never make a single full planet with a set map.

If nothing else sticking in a real earth topographic map into any explorable game is gonna get social media engagement from people posting pics of whatever that game has for earth areas.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Khanstant posted:

People love Earth, and there are complete topological maps of the whole thing. Even in barren wasteland form, going to the coordinates of cool locations or mundane local ones would be interesting for people. Especially since you can build a base, weak as that element is. They make up the rules and design, nobody forced them to never make a single full planet with a set map.

If nothing else sticking in a real earth topographic map into any explorable game is gonna get social media engagement from people posting pics of whatever that game has for earth areas.

yeah they could've just made a cheap google earth ripoff and then aged it into poo poo or something.

also, if they were too lazy to bother rendering any semblence of real geography they could've just... made a space game without the Sol system, there are plenty of those.

i didnt play long enough to see if they bothered with any geograpgical features on Mars like Olympus Mons or the Marinara Valley

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

they didn't, it's all poo poo, that's why they're getting on twitter to get mad at everyone

if they'd done the bare minimum with Sol landmarks you'd have heard about them

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

probably top shelf rear end cocaine though

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i did check out Io to see if they'd done the famous volcanos but of course not, it was just another cue ball

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

So we're all agreed that if Starfield had just been like Skyrim x KotOR: Universes Collide and had three well-developed worlds, with three playable races, and you have a different start with each on each of the different planets. And that's basically it. Just give it some polish, give it a space opera story with some key locations and points of interest scattered between a bunch of interesting hubs of various sizes, and Bob's your uncle.

Eventually, the three stories all hit the main quest, and at that point you're basically questing like Skyrim, and it all leads to a good, evil, or selfish end quest and ending. Right? Like this is just really obvious stuff Bethesda could've done to make a game with pace and structure, and that still provided the things people still, inexplicably, want from a new installment of The Bethesda Game.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Time_pants posted:

it all leads to a good, evil, or selfish end quest and ending. Right?

Fallout 3 and 4 did away with that and you're never getting that from Bethesda again

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Strategic Tea posted:

It's fascinating that Bethesda created a completely generic, utilitarian, cultureless world with no traditions or beliefs or identity beyond 'bougie urban renewal scheme' or 'cyberpunk 2077'.

But that instead of this being an accident they created very deliberate lore to explain that everything that makes life worth living was specifically destroyed on earth.

There is also Firefly space cowboys.

Also, you have a group of people capable of space flight, can build mechs and spaceships, but their capitol city still has dirt roads.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think the funniest thing about Starfield is that weird club that people keep showing in videos where sexless, boring looking people dance around in lovely suit looking things and that's supposed to be the 'alien sex club' thing. Howard and all the people who have any creative control have been completely neutered. Have some muscle men if you're scared to be cancelled by people who hate the typical strip club thing. Take a risk and make a story around it. They seem to be completely out of touch and it's both sad and funny.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Tarkus posted:

I think the funniest thing about Starfield is that weird club that people keep showing in videos where sexless, boring looking people dance around in lovely suit looking things and that's supposed to be the 'alien sex club' thing. Howard and all the people who have any creative control have been completely neutered. Have some muscle men if you're scared to be cancelled by people who hate the typical strip club thing. Take a risk and make a story around it. They seem to be completely out of touch and it's both sad and funny.

they thought people liked Cyberpunk because of the neon lmao

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Time_pants posted:

So we're all agreed that if Starfield had just been like Skyrim x KotOR: Universes Collide and had three well-developed worlds, with three playable races, and you have a different start with each on each of the different planets. And that's basically it. Just give it some polish, give it a space opera story with some key locations and points of interest scattered between a bunch of interesting hubs of various sizes, and Bob's your uncle.

Eventually, the three stories all hit the main quest, and at that point you're basically questing like Skyrim, and it all leads to a good, evil, or selfish end quest and ending. Right? Like this is just really obvious stuff Bethesda could've done to make a game with pace and structure, and that still provided the things people still, inexplicably, want from a new installment of The Bethesda Game.

i mean, that would certainly be better than the existing starfield, but still not really that great imo

the biggest problem with skyrim is that you are immediately faced with this big choice, whether to support the empire or the rebels in the civil war, and it doesn't really matter at all what you do. it doesn't meaningfully change how anyone in the world perceives you or interacts with you (outside of camps of enemy soldiers specifically), it doesn't affect where you can go or what's happening in the world, there's little indication in the gameworld of the back and forth of a civil war going on, there's utterly no difference in your experience in that world whether you are in a region controlled by the empire vs. one controlled by the rebels, and once you are victorious for one side or the other... it again doesn't matter. nothing really changes in the gameworld at all.

the last bethesda game in which your choices matter in any sense was new vegas

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Earwicker posted:

the last bethesda game in which your choices matter in any sense was new vegas
New Vegas wasn't developed by Bethesda . You need to go back to Morrowind for when they at least locked you to at most one great house.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

RichardA posted:

New Vegas wasn't developed by Bethesda . You need to go back to Morrowind for when they at least locked you to at most one great house.

it was, however, QA'ed by Bethesda so they could gently caress over Obsidian

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I skipped Oblivon because it sounded very bland and boring. I got into Skyrim and sunk 100's of hours into it, and never completed any of the main or faction quests apart from the Thieves guild once.

I played 6 or so hours of Starfield (with one restart) and gave up.

I have to wonder how long Microsoft will keep Todd around before he fails them for the last time. Do you think he'll be around for Elder Scrolls 6? I suspect they might...scale it down a bit.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Comstar posted:

I skipped Oblivon because it sounded very bland and boring. I got into Skyrim and sunk 100's of hours into it, and never completed any of the main or faction quests apart from the Thieves guild once.

I played 6 or so hours of Starfield (with one restart) and gave up.

I have to wonder how long Microsoft will keep Todd around before he fails them for the last time. Do you think he'll be around for Elder Scrolls 6? I suspect they might...scale it down a bit.

skyrim wasn't a failure tho, it has major flaws gameplay wise but all the suits care about is money, and skyrim is literally one of the best selling video games of all time.

from a financial perspective, starfield and fallout 76 were both failures, but they made a ton of money just releasing skyrim over and over again, and i think there's still a pretty huge fanbase that will buy elder scrolls 6 just because its elder scrolls, even if it turns out to suck

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

hopefully microsoft learns from this and just transfers the Fallout IP to inXile and Obsidiahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha microsoft are a bunch of loving morons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I reinstalled Morrowind and it kicks so much rear end it's unreal. What a phenomenal game.