Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kanos posted:

This is a self-fulfilling prophecy. "no one's heard of this IP, so we can't make games in the IP, ensuring no one's ever heard of it". It also ignores that the Battletech fans that do exist are huge evangelists, a basis for word of mouth that would not exist for a fresh IP.

Battletech(the HBS game) sold extremely well for a game based on a niche IP - far greater numbers of sales than could be reasonably supported by the vanishingly small number of grogs reminiscing over the good old days of MW2 while rolling dice and looking at record sheets - suggesting that maybe people just like good-looking, well-made games that feature grungy ponderous giant robots shooting each other. I don't think there's any basis for an AAA budget GAAS game in the Battletech universe, but I think there's absolutely a market for smaller titles(such as Battletech itself).

Quoting because i agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A big stompy robot game came out recently and sold really well despite having an even more niche IP.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
AC is extremely not stompy robot gaming, man, come on. That's mecha and you know that's a whole different can of worms

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I guess you could Ship of Theseus a non-ES mech into one.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Kanos posted:

This is a self-fulfilling prophecy. "no one's heard of this IP, so we can't make games in the IP, ensuring no one's ever heard of it". It also ignores that the Battletech fans that do exist are huge evangelists, a basis for word of mouth that would not exist for a fresh IP.

Agreed. Reminder that Mechwarrior was a big thing back in the Y2K times. They used to hand out MW2 with AOL trial discs. They included trailers for MW2 Mercs in the "welcome" discs packaged with IBM towers. There was a lot of press around new graphics cards being able to support Mechwarrior games. It was on the top shelf at Best Buy and poo poo.

The simple fact is that PGI et al just doesn't know what they're loving doing in terms of marketing and games as a business.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My pessimism is rooted in the opinion that geeks overestimate the actual popularity of many of their interests. Almost everything that isn't pushed to the point of being inescapable never makes it into the zeitgeist.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Also, executives are generally morons who would sooner burn money trying to chase whatever trend-of-the-day genre is getting all the attention than capturing underserved markets.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Battletech has enough of a fan base to make smaller scale games quite profitable, but it's a mature fan base that's not liable to suddenly grow by orders of magnitude so it'll never pull AAA bonanza millions. That's the kiss of death for executives dreaming of giant ever increasing profits.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Disagree there too, zoomers and millenials love board games the more needlessly complicated the better. Also look at AC6. You can get normies super excited about a dead franchise as long as the developers earned their cred. It really is just that Russ is the Denethor of Battletech.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

Russ is the Denethor of Battletech

New thread title pls mods

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Marx Headroom posted:

Agreed. Reminder that Mechwarrior was a big thing back in the Y2K times. They used to hand out MW2 with AOL trial discs. They included trailers for MW2 Mercs in the "welcome" discs packaged with IBM towers. There was a lot of press around new graphics cards being able to support Mechwarrior games. It was on the top shelf at Best Buy and poo poo.

The simple fact is that PGI et al just doesn't know what they're loving doing in terms of marketing and games as a business.

Our family computer came with MW2 bundled and then the upgraded version later on came with Mercs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

toasterwarrior posted:

AC is extremely not stompy robot gaming, man, come on. That's mecha and you know that's a whole different can of worms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDHbDbPydZ4

Star Man posted:

My pessimism is rooted in the opinion that geeks overestimate the actual popularity of many of their interests. Almost everything that isn't pushed to the point of being inescapable never makes it into the zeitgeist.

This isn't an unproven thing shot in the dark, though. We have multiple Battletech IP games released in the last five years that have solid quite well within their niche. MW5 is an exceedingly mediocre game but it still sold well enough that they're still pushing out expansions for it.

Again, Battletech IP will probably never draw Biggest Game Ever numbers, but most games never will and can still be considered successes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

I gotta respect the bit

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Chronojam posted:

Our family computer came with MW2 bundled and then the upgraded version later on came with Mercs.

Your family had more money than mine lol. I had to make do with the Welcome to IBM Aptiva disk featuring the Mercs trailer and clips from a Phill Collins music video. My friend up the street did get Mercs bundled with their computer like you though!

Like can you imagine Alienware advertising their laptops with Mechwarrior 5? SA Mart threads selling extra MW5 keys that came with their graphics card? This kind of stuff actually happened with Mechwarrior! That's why grogs look back at MW2 days so fondly: it was a phenomenon. You, your cool techie uncle, and the kids up the street were all playing mechs.

Nobody at Activision was like "well this is a niche franchise we can't expect too many sales." It's just a huge bummer that even the fans are feeling this way now.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Decided to revisit MechWarrior 5 and got it for a buddy to do coop. I'm doing my part!

TentPegg
Sep 22, 2012

I keep looking at it and then I worry about having a negative experience compared to my rose tinted glasses of playing all other mech warriors from MW2 onwards.....

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

You can get it like 30% of the way to an acceptable mw game if you put a bunch of mods on it. It's supposed to be more fun coop but i haven't tried that and i haven't played since an update broke most of my mods about 10 months back

Stravag fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 5, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

TentPegg posted:

I keep looking at it and then I worry about having a negative experience compared to my rose tinted glasses of playing all other mech warriors from MW2 onwards.....

It's an okay play if you can get it on a deep sale. It's not remotely as good as the older games, but if you mod it up you can get a couple dozen hours of stompy shooty robot gameplay out of it, especially if you've got some friends playing it.

It's bad because it's a deeply flawed and disappointing entry in a series of generally extremely well regarded games rather than because it's a completely unplayable mess. Basically a 5 or 6/10 game in a series of 8 or 9/10s.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

So I didn't mean that the Battletech IP is particularly well known, what I mean is that it is a fully fleshed out IP that is already proven to be engaging with audiences; the setting, the fictional history and politics, the nature of warfare etc. And then there's a whole load of mech designs (most obviously the Madcat) that are extremely iconic and look loving cool.

All that stuff is literally decades of work of IP that's being left on the shelf.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Stravag posted:

You can get it like 30% of the way to an acceptable mw game if you put a bunch of mods on it. It's supposed to be more fun coop but i haven't find that and i haven't played since an update broke most of my mods about 10 months back
It is more fun in coop but don't make the mistake of thinking that has something to do with the game itself: every game is more fun in coop

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alchenar posted:

So I didn't mean that the Battletech IP is particularly well known, what I mean is that it is a fully fleshed out IP that is already proven to be engaging with audiences; the setting, the fictional history and politics, the nature of warfare etc. And then there's a whole load of mech designs (most obviously the Madcat) that are extremely iconic and look loving cool.

All that stuff is literally decades of work of IP that's being left on the shelf.

It's a nice little IP. But it's owned by MS, who just spent $60 billion on Call of Duty. That's the scale they care about. They'll listen to offers, especially if it leads to more fodder for XBGP. But they aren't paying attention to it.

For other publishers, whether another mega-AAA or a mid-major like Paradox, licensing it from MS is not really an attractive deal. You have to pay MS for it, but that's not the biggest drawback. It's that you're investing in a competitor's IP. You miss out on a lot of value.

If you make a hit game with Battletech you get to say "we sold 10 million copies and made $15 million profit on our game".

If you make a hit game with your own IP you get to say things like "we made $10 million profit from Spaceballs The Video Game, which means Spaceballs The Franchise is now 69% more valuable according to GAAP, adding $10 million to our IP asset value." Then they go around saying "we increased valuation by $20 million" which makes the stock go up.

So that leaves true indies, or maybe a small studio that MS happens to acquire. The pool of potential devs is pretty small.

And that doesn't even cover how slow plodding mech cockpit sim isn't a genre I can see selling tons of copies in today's market, regardless of how good a game it is. You could make the best possible version of MW5 and it wouldn't sell as well as AC6.

edit: all that said, Paradox were still dummies not to pay MS their 30 pieces of silver and do Battletech 2 if HBS was pitching that vs "unknown original pastiche IP".

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 5, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

AC was considered a turbo-niche franchise that was also dead until AC6 itself came out. The last Armored Core game before AC6 was Verdict Day, which came out 10 years ago.

It turns out that a lot of IPs and genres are "dead" until someone takes them and makes a not lovely game with them. Remember when turn based strategy games and RPGs were "dead" because they were supposedly too slow and boring? Because that's happened several times, even going back to the late 90s. The Infinity Engine real time with pause concept was originally developed because there was a perception that turn based games were outmoded in 1998.

Hell, we don't even need to guess to determine if people would buy a slow stompy robot game in 2023, because MW5 exists and is still selling well enough to warrant continued DLC expansions despite being a pretty mediocre game at best.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 5, 2023

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Kanos posted:

AC was considered a turbo-niche franchise that was also dead until AC6 itself came out. The last Armored Core game before AC6 was Verdict Day, which came out 10 years ago.

It turns out that a lot of IPs and genres are "dead" until someone takes them and makes a not lovely game with them. Remember when turn based strategy games and RPGs were "dead" because they were supposedly too slow and boring? Because that's happened several times, even going back to the late 90s. The Infinity Engine real time with pause concept was originally developed because there was a perception that turn based games were outmoded in 1998.

Hell, we don't even need to guess to determine if people would buy a slow stompy robot game in 2023, because MW5 exists and is still selling well enough to warrant continued DLC expansions despite being a pretty mediocre game at best.

I find a lot of time that when a game franchise or genre is declared dead, the loudest voice reading the obituary out loud are the publishers themselves, desperately trying to convince everyone that it truly is dead simply because they're only making Some Of The Money instead of All Of The Money off it, because anything that isn't a Massive Blockbuster and shoe in for GotY is beneath their notice.

And then without fail, when some indy developer gets a hold of the franchise/genre and makes a gigantic splash with it, they're left sitting there with a Shocked Pikachu face.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

drat that's a good gimmick

I wonder what other stages you'd actually be able to complete in an Atlas Challenge Run

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Must be nice to be in a position Games Workshop is in where their IP's rights aren't split between two or more rights holders depending on the medium, let alone one that is the developer of the largest operating system platform in the world and a major video game home console platform.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My saved game managed to break Battletech so hard that it crashes Steam whenever I try to load it.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Your save file is lostech

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Updated BTA3062 and replaced all of my C3 units with C3i.

HUGE improvement. A couple Stormcrow spotters can dash in and set up shots for my heavies. I found a WoB Streak SRM carrier with C3i and it is deadly in an urban map.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

PhotoKirk posted:

Updated BTA3062 and replaced all of my C3 units with C3i.

HUGE improvement. A couple Stormcrow spotters can dash in and set up shots for my heavies. I found a WoB Streak SRM carrier with C3i and it is deadly in an urban map.

my last 3062 run was as Wobbies and C3i is crazy good. I kept a FS9-B pretty much the whole run as my spotter / back stabber. with not losing evasion and having the bonuses from the piloting line makes it basically impossible to hit

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Complications posted:

Battletech has enough of a fan base to make smaller scale games quite profitable, but it's a mature fan base that's not liable to suddenly grow by orders of magnitude so it'll never pull AAA bonanza millions. That's the kiss of death for executives dreaming of giant ever increasing profits.

There’s been a pretty large push of people sick of games workshop towards battletech. This is entirely anecdotal but our big gaming tournament place has started doing Battletech in the last year.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

c3i rules

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Rhymenoserous posted:

There’s been a pretty large push of people sick of games workshop towards battletech. This is entirely anecdotal but our big gaming tournament place has started doing Battletech in the last year.

Yeah I wouldn't call it a leading indicator, and maybe its selection bias, but I've played CBT with 3 people in the last year who explicitly wanted to try Battletech because Warhammer wasn't doing it for them. A big regional group popped up last year that does canned food drive tournaments and whatnot.

It's funny to be at tables with one person who doesn't know what PPC stands for, sitting next to some dude with a Ral Partha Crusader.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So today I learned there's a submod that goes with BEX that lets YOU choose where to drop your lance during missions...

https://github.com/mcb5637/BTX_CAC_Compatibility/tree/v0.1.21.8

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So today I learned there's a submod that goes with BEX that lets YOU choose where to drop your lance during missions...

https://github.com/mcb5637/BTX_CAC_Compatibility/tree/v0.1.21.8

oh hell yeah, guess it really is going to be a BEX run for 24. I haven't touched it in like 2 years. so there should be enough new stuff to chew through

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I know companies don't sell IPs unless they have to, but I do wonder what it would cost to buy the Shadowrun and Battletech licenses for PC games. Presuming it isn't in the hundreds of millions.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
BTA 3062 also has the ability to manually choose your drop zone, and it is required for a full 16 unit drop in urban maps because you will eventually spawn kill one of your units.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

BTA 3062 also has the ability to manually choose your drop zone, and it is required for a full 16 unit drop in urban maps because you will eventually spawn kill one of your units.

well ya and so does RT but I'm just happy BEX got it. all 3 projects have been going on for a long time and it's good they each have a niche

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

evilmiera posted:

I know companies don't sell IPs unless they have to, but I do wonder what it would cost to buy the Shadowrun and Battletech licenses for PC games. Presuming it isn't in the hundreds of millions.

It would probably be lower eight figures. Microsoft hasn't taken advantage of the IP in years, and cash now vs. profits later is a big business bias.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

oh hell yeah, guess it really is going to be a BEX run for 24. I haven't touched it in like 2 years. so there should be enough new stuff to chew through

Just a heads up if you do want to use CAC, you'll need to delete the modtek folder that comes with BEX, and download modtek 4.1.0 from github https://github.com/BattletechModders/ModTek/releases/tag/v4.1.0. 4.1.0 goes directly into the BattleTech folder and not the Mods folder.

As CAC wants the newer modtek, if you don't you won't get most of the CAC mods to work right.

I'm not sure if you can still disable the newer BEX turrets in the newest version like you used to as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Sorry for the double post but just a heads up, if you're going to update this game to 1.9.3.7 BEX + Bigger Drops + CAB AND CAC-C compatibility, you'll probably need to do a clean reinstall of everything, including the base game on Steam. Spent hours the other day trying to clean out the mod folder to reinstall everything and just ended up sweeping and restarting from scratch, stuff finally worked.

To get CAC-C compatibility with BEX you will need Modtek 4.1.0 off of github, as CAC-C doesn't work with the modtek injector that bex automatically comes from.

Also, I'm running this mod as well. https://discourse.modsinexile.com/t/the-big-deal-add-on-for-battletech-extended-3025-3061/631 It's got a comaptibilit with BEX + CAC-C, seems pretty cool, more flashpoint content is always good.