Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is it hacked or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Lord Lambeth posted:

I've been trying to make use of my old, scuffed up 3DSXL lately. The other day, I tried to turn it on. The 3DS will light up with a blue light, but the screen doesn't come on.

I've heard this is a black screen of death for the 3DS? does anyone have any advice to get it working again? or should I try mailing this to someone, maybe nintendo.

Turn it off, remove the SD card and try again without the card. You may also want to let the battery discharge completely and then power it on after recharging from zero. If neither of those work, yeah, it may be honestly dead.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

hatty posted:

Is it hacked or anything?

No hacks, never jailbroken

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Are hacking questions OK in this thread? Finally giving it a shot after years of dragging my feet and of course I'm running into a problem during the CFW setup, and the official Discord isn't being that helpful...

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Are hacking questions OK in this thread? Finally giving it a shot after years of dragging my feet and of course I'm running into a problem during the CFW setup, and the official Discord isn't being that helpful...

Sure, shoot them up. Were you following the https://3ds.hacks.guide/?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Saoshyant posted:

Sure, shoot them up. Were you following the https://3ds.hacks.guide/?

I'm attempting a first-time CFW install on an Old 3DSXL, running 11.16.0-49U firmware and going with this guide (the one you posted). Section 2 Step 5 reads-

quote:

Do not press any buttons or touch the screen - ensure that you see the Mii Maker icon [in Data Management -> Nintendo 3DS -> Extra Data]

Does the entry for the Mii Maker data have to be on-screen during this step, or is it enough that the data are present in this menu? I'm hitting an infinite loading error on Step 13 of this section, and the only deviation in Section 2 that I can think of is the fact that my console's Mii Maker data are way at the bottom of the list, which would necessitate pressing buttons or touching the screen in order to scroll over to it and have it on screen like the instructions seem to demand.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oof, this process got way more complicated than I remember it being in older firmware revisions. Sorry, I can't help because I've never used this specific method -- a shame your 3DS was fully updated, an older method might have been much easier.

Did you get through step 10 "MSET9 successfully injected"? If so it might be you don't have all the required files in the correct location and named as such.

You might also need to repeat the Mii Maker portion of the guide again.

Also, a video might be useful to check exactly when the things described are actually being done by someone else. Found this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLefbewpODA

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks, but I actually found a workaround by formatting a second SD card and using that to do the initial install, then swapping back to the my original SD card for the remainder of the setup. Seems to have worked so far...now what do I do with all of this hacked stuff? :v: Checkpoint will allow me to copy a save file from a cartridge onto system storage, correct?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Checkpoint will allow me to copy a save file from a cartridge onto system storage, correct?

Yes, and vice versa.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

C-Euro posted:

Thanks, but I actually found a workaround by formatting a second SD card and using that to do the initial install, then swapping back to the my original SD card for the remainder of the setup. Seems to have worked so far...now what do I do with all of this hacked stuff? :v: Checkpoint will allow me to copy a save file from a cartridge onto system storage, correct?

The Finalizing Setup page from the 3DS Hacks guide gives a short summary on what the apps do. I see they do no longer list Twilight Menu++ which is a mostly used as a frontend for nds-bootstrap, which allows you to load DS/DSiWare from the SD card. It also has various built-in emulators, although I can't speak about their quality. It can be gotten through Universal Updater (which is listed on that page), a great way to explore other homebrew.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 4, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've never been able to get Universal Updater to work, it always throws some generic connection error whenever I try. I'm connected to the internet, and I'm not console banned from the Nintendo online service (though I'm pretty sure that doesn't even matter), so I have no idea why it doesn't work. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I'd really like it to work, because I have a New 3DS, with the annoying micro SD slot, so I'd really like to have a one-stop shop for Luma and Twilight Menu updates so I don't have to download everything on my PC and then fire up the ftp server on the 3DS to transfer everything over.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

When I start Universal Updater it briefly shows the Homebrew Launcher splash image, so I imagine the latter has to be installed for the former to function (always happens if you follow the 3DS Hacks guide).

When you open Universal Updater, go to settings and then "Select Unistore", does it list "universal-db.unistore"? Do you have it currently selected? It's the main unistore, the only one there by default. I don't know if it can be accidentally removed, but you can have different ones (like the one for Twilight Menu++ skins) and only one can be active.

And if none of that helps I would try setting up a New Internet Connection, even if nothing has changed since you previously setup your wi-fi connection. It wouldn't be the first time I've heard that fix something for whatever reason.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 4, 2023

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Turn it off, remove the SD card and try again without the card. You may also want to let the battery discharge completely and then power it on after recharging from zero. If neither of those work, yeah, it may be honestly dead.

Hey, this ended up working! thanks! I thought I was never going to play SMTIV: Apocalypse again.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've got a 3DS and a WiiU still getting regular active usage, mostly from my kids. The batteries on both are tired. Does anyone have a recommended source for replacement 3DS or Wii U batteries? I'd guess that all the old Nintendo stock is old and has lost capacity just from age, so hopefully someone is making 3rd party replacements of decent quality?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The 3DS, 2DS and New 2DS XL* models use the same battery (CTR-003) that is also in the Switch Pro controller. I assume that makes their stock fresher, whether first or third party.

The New 3DS XL and 3DS XL use the SPR-003 model. The smaller New Nintendo 3DS uses the KTR-003 model (and it's not on Nintendo's store).

*If you've got a New 2DS XL keep in mind the battery is a bit trickier to remove, to the point Nintendo themselves don't even give you a tutorial on their site and just say it can't be removed.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Twerk from Home posted:

I've got a 3DS and a WiiU still getting regular active usage, mostly from my kids. The batteries on both are tired. Does anyone have a recommended source for replacement 3DS or Wii U batteries? I'd guess that all the old Nintendo stock is old and has lost capacity just from age, so hopefully someone is making 3rd party replacements of decent quality?

Mierenneuker posted:

The 3DS, 2DS and New 2DS XL* models use the same battery (CTR-003) that is also in the Switch Pro controller. I assume that makes their stock fresher, whether first or third party.

The New 3DS XL and 3DS XL use the SPR-003 model. The smaller New Nintendo 3DS uses the KTR-003 model (and it's not on Nintendo's store).

*If you've got a New 2DS XL keep in mind the battery is a bit trickier to remove, to the point Nintendo themselves don't even give you a tutorial on their site and just say it can't be removed.

Nintendo does have some 3DS batteries in stock right now under Replacement Parts on their store, if they work for the 3ds model you have: https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/hardware/parts/#p=1&sort=df&f=replacementPart&replacementPart=Nintendo+3DS%2F2DS+parts

I bought new batteries for my original 3ds and N3dsXL a few months ago and theyre working great.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

Thanks! I've got a n3DS and a n2DS XL, but the n2DS is pretty new and not hurting as much as the n3DS.

It looks like I can choose between a E-YIIVIIL brand or WUHAO.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Twerk from Home posted:

I replaced my old wiiu battery that was starting to expand with a UCEC brand one off Amazon, seems to be doing fine after a full year and definitely is a longer lasting battery than the original

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
I got this WiiU battery off Aliexpress this summer. It works so much better than my Christmas 2012 original game pad battery.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKCEFtW

I assume the Amazon ones are just dropshippers and probably the same thing, so if it's cheaper why not.

I am still kicking myself for not getting the OEM extended battery from Nintendo way back when, though it would also probably be junk today.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bought the official extended battery to play BotW when it first came out because I was sick of having to put the pad on charge every 4 hours, once I'd finished with that I didn't use my WiiU for like 12 months or more and next time I did it would no longer hold a charge lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I completely forgot I am the OP of this thread. I’ve been out of the 3DS game since the Switch came out, but I recently picked one up for super cheap off FB Marketplace.

I forgot how much I like this system, I’ve always been a fan of the glasses-less 3D, and now that we’re in the age of having to strap a VR headset to your face to experience stereo 3d, the display is almost even more impressive in its simplicity.

Anyway, the 3ds is really good and thank you for reading my livejournal. I’m off to play Mario Golf World Tour.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I, also enjoy the 3d.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I like it when it's used to really give the game depth, but very few third-party games actually do the concept justice, it's telling that the best uses of it I've seen are remakes of (at the time) over ten-year-old games Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask and Star Fox 64.

Also having it on for too long gives me headaches, so I tend to turn it on for a while to remind myself what it looks like and then turn it back off before the pain starts.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

The original 3DS’s 3D was a neat gimmick but it was too fiddly, and I always wished they’d used the same amount of pixels for a sharper picture instead. But the “Super Stable 3D” in the New 3DS (XL) was revelatory. Now I wish they had used a higher res screen AND had the 3D at the same time, lol.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hey so if I found my long lost 3ds and it spent time in a puddle of vinegar and it opens to a blue screen of death how turbofucked am I? do I have any way to repair it and/or system transfer or is my poo poo just lost forever?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Commander Keene posted:

I like it when it's used to really give the game depth, but very few third-party games actually do the concept justice, it's telling that the best uses of it I've seen are remakes of (at the time) over ten-year-old games Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask and Star Fox 64.

Also having it on for too long gives me headaches, so I tend to turn it on for a while to remind myself what it looks like and then turn it back off before the pain starts.

I used it a lot more when I got a 3DS XL (much more stable 3D), but mostly this was my experience. It was a neat thing to look at for awhile but I found myself playing with it off most of the time.

My 3DS is now falling apart so I moved my library over to the Deck instead. So now I can't even use the 3D anymore! Oh well.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

Hey so if I found my long lost 3ds and it spent time in a puddle of vinegar

you're not supposed to pickle your 3ds

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Hey so if I found my long lost 3ds and it spent time in a puddle of vinegar and it opens to a blue screen of death how turbofucked am I? do I have any way to repair it and/or system transfer or is my poo poo just lost forever?

I've watched videos of someone repairing 3DS devices, and liquids are the main source of permadeath I'm afraid...

However, getting a blue screen is a far better result than no screen at all! I've got no specific advice how to deal with that blue screen (does it give you error codes?), although if you had no custom firmware installed you might end up going down the route of using the NTRboot method to change stuff.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 17, 2023

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

YggiDee posted:

If you get another machine and call nintendo, they can transfer your ID to it. You'll lose all your saves, but all your digital purchases will come over with the new account.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

YggiDee posted:

A puddle of water would be mostly unsurvivable, a puddle of light acid I would assume is a death sentence

However, you might want to flush it out with distilled water to get the vinegar out, and see what happens. Maybe the blue screen goes away, but I wouldn’t count on it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Your Computer posted:

you're not supposed to pickle your 3ds

Thread title

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

A puddle of water would be mostly unsurvivable, a puddle of light acid I would assume is a death sentence

However, you might want to flush it out with distilled water to get the vinegar out, and see what happens. Maybe the blue screen goes away, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Even if that resurrects it don't count on it being around for very long - have a second one ready to go and transfer everything. If it fails then yes, follow the advice to have the mothership move the account for you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I completely forgot I am the OP of this thread. I’ve been out of the 3DS game since the Switch came out, but I recently picked one up for super cheap off FB Marketplace.

I forgot how much I like this system, I’ve always been a fan of the glasses-less 3D, and now that we’re in the age of having to strap a VR headset to your face to experience stereo 3d, the display is almost even more impressive in its simplicity.

Anyway, the 3ds is really good and thank you for reading my livejournal. I’m off to play Mario Golf World Tour.

I keep taking my 3DS on trips and never playing it, but my upcoming trip is gonna be different dammit.

If I somehow manage to get a Streetpass in the airport I may die of happiness.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was traveling all over the country for work when the 3ds was in its prime, and I got so, so many street passes. It was always really fun to check them in my hotel once I settled in.

I really wish Nintendo would have made something similar for the Switch.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Random comment, but I like Super Mario 3D Land. It was obviously a prototype for 3D World, but I like the colourful visuals and the '2.5d' concept. It seems quite maligned, for some reason.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

JustJeff88 posted:

Random comment, but I like Super Mario 3D Land. It was obviously a prototype for 3D World, but I like the colourful visuals and the '2.5d' concept. It seems quite maligned, for some reason.

Aw, was it? I really liked it, one of the few 3DS games I've played all the way through so far. It was like having 3D World in your pocket (and in 3D!).

Yoshi's Island is also pretty fun, I was a good chunk of the way through it but sold all of my carts when I moved. Tried dumping the save but I don't think it worked.

C-Euro posted:

I keep taking my 3DS on trips and never playing it, but my upcoming trip is gonna be different dammit.

If I somehow manage to get a Streetpass in the airport I may die of happiness.

Getting a USB cable to charge it with instead of having to bring the factory one with wall wart definitely made me bring mine more places. It's not like the factory charger is huge, but it is a little awkward compared to just plugging it in to my laptop or travel USB hub.

At home I have one of those AliExpress charging cradles so it lives on my nightstand, always nice to have a fully charged 3DS at the ready for some Piccross.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

If I want to sell off my 3DS Physical game collection, is ebay the best way to go? Any other option I should look at?

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

JustJeff88 posted:

Super Mario 3D (Land) loving rules and the 3d does help. I'm playing Crash Bandicoot 4 and that game is one big optical illusion.

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 18, 2023

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

JustJeff88 posted:

the only reason I remember it getting maligned is because it rolls credits super early and a lot of people didn't realize that literally the entire back half of the game is after that. I loved it when it came out and I still think it's pretty great even through 3d World does everything bigger and better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

JustJeff88 posted:

I've seen nothing but praise for it here.