Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Mebh posted:

my indian sister-in-law chops up raw scotch bonnets into salad for example as she says they're "zesty"

Scotch Bonnets are quite hot either way of course, but the zesty thing is true, fresh raw chillies have a more zesty citrusy flavour and less heat or spice compared to when they are cooked.

Oh a snipe, there are many countries that call themselves the 51st state, they are all pathetic claims, except Puerto Rico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Do charity donations come off the total?

Or donations to a political party?

Wouldn't be surprised. There was a section to say if you've donated to charity.

The bit that's pissing me off the most is that it's asking this that and the other thing, then stating that you should find it in the such and such section of your such and such form.

It's like it's assuming everyone's on a standardised pay system (which it loving should be) when instead it's actually all loving privatised invoicing systems so no two companies have the same pay slip design/content.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Kin posted:

Sigh, why does filling out this tax self assessment form make me feel like an idiot.
If you earn less than 150k can't you just report cash? As in, you just tell them how much money came into & went out of your accounts this year? Or do you need to claim stuff back?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If you earn less than 150k can't you just report cash? As in, you just tell them how much money came into & went out of your accounts this year? Or do you need to claim stuff back?

This is for self-employed. I don't think Kin is self-employed. You have to do this sh*t if you claim child benefits/tax reliefs etc.

I use cash basis for my self-employed lark, mainly because I've made a big loss over the past few years (thanks, Covid) so I can offset self-employed earnings in the current year - beginning to pick up again - against previous years' losses. If I went the £1000 route, I wouldn't be able to do that (and I've now exceeded the £1k anyway for this current tax year).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 16, 2023

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The language on that page seems to imply self employment.

I'm in the unfortunate position of earning just over the salary threshold at my job while claiming child benefits.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Oh a snipe, there are many countries that call themselves the 51st state, they are all pathetic claims, except Puerto Rico.

a Shameful snype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dw_aj68Gqg

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
The Juice have done a new (3 minute) video on UK politics. Definitely worth a watch if you'd like to know more about fuckpigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sRoYvFTE3c

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

xtothez posted:

The Juice have done a new (3 minute) video on UK politics. Definitely worth a watch if you'd like to know more about fuckpigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sRoYvFTE3c

The only Fukpig I recognise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6PuPdSsXY

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Any other leader etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/16/labour-lead-slips-to-13-points-poll-nhs-priority-sunak-rwanda

quote:

Labour’s lead over the Conservatives is now at 13 points, the lowest since before the party conferences, according to the latest Opinium poll for the Observer.

NHS waiting times remain the main priority for voters, followed by cutting inflation and dealing with the cost of living, with fuel costs in third. However, cutting illegal immigration is now fourth after Sunak’s decision to prioritise his bill designed to ensure asylum seekers can be deported to Rwanda. Some 36% selected it as a priority before the next general election, up from 33% in mid-November.

Meanwhile in Palestine:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/16/idf-says-hostages-it-killed-were-bare-chested-and-waving-white-flag

IDF killed 3 hostages who were bare chested and waving white flag. Which goes to show they have a shoot to kill policy and having mistaken the hostages for Palestinians killed them.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 16, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.ft.com/content/92b27f17-9ddb-4638-8ebf-9e4a0b59ebd0

quote:

Rory Stewart, the former cabinet minister who ran for the leadership of Britain’s Conservative party in 2019, has declared he would be interested in serving in a Labour government led by Sir Keir Starmer.

Stewart’s comments are unhelpful for Rishi Sunak, whose Conservatives end 2023 divided over migration policy and trailing Labour by 20 points in the polls.

The prime minister has been trying to hold his party together and focus on what he hopes will be a political rebound in 2024, but some Tories are countenancing life after a Labour election victory.

Starmer has been trying to woo former Conservatives in recent months, including by praising Margaret Thatcher for “setting loose Britain’s natural entrepreneurialism”.

Stewart suggested he was impressed by Starmer when he was asked at a live podcast show at the Albert Hall on Thursday night if he would consider taking a ministerial role in a Labour government. “Yes,” he replied.

Alastair Campbell, Stewart’s co-presenter on the “Rest is Politics” podcast, said: “It was interesting that one of the loudest cheers of the night came when he said he would happily be a Labour minister in the Lords.”

Stewart told the Financial Times: “I’d always be tempted to go back into government, but not sure I’d really do it. I would honestly have to see what kind of government it was. But yes, I am definitely jealous of friends who are ministers.”

Spies-R-Us :toot:

e: I guess we're going to see more and more important ministerial roles given to unelected and mostly unaccountable Lords, especially since the Tories have got away with having the Foreign Secretary as Lord Pigfucker. I love our healthy democracy

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 17, 2023

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Kin posted:

I'm in the unfortunate position

yes earning over 50k sounds simply unbearable

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Any other leader etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/16/labour-lead-slips-to-13-points-poll-nhs-priority-sunak-rwanda

Meanwhile in Palestine:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/16/idf-says-hostages-it-killed-were-bare-chested-and-waving-white-flag

IDF killed 3 hostages who were bare chested and waving white flag. Which goes to show they have a shoot to kill policy and having mistaken the hostages for Palestinians killed them.

God, the language around this one. It's so obvious that the IDF thought they were Palestinian civilians (and thus could be shot on the spot with complete impunity); so much tortured English to try and obfuscate this simple point.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

God, the language around this one. It's so obvious that the IDF thought they were Palestinian civilians (and thus could be shot on the spot with complete impunity); so much tortured English to try and obfuscate this simple point.

These military aged males are no longer alive.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The BBC headline is all like: "Israeli hostages in a state of non-life after IDF bullet-related incident" and gently caress me, I'm so loving tired of the shameless bullshit.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

fuctifino posted:

https://www.ft.com/content/92b27f17-9ddb-4638-8ebf-9e4a0b59ebd0

Spies-R-Us :toot:

e: I guess we're going to see more and more important ministerial roles given to unelected and mostly unaccountable Lords, especially since the Tories have got away with having the Foreign Secretary as Lord Pigfucker. I love our healthy democracy

When you consider the calibre of the average labour or conservative MP these days, its hardly a surprise they have been forced to start looking outside parliament to fill cabinet posts.

In fact it probably just reinforces your point about state of democracy even more, just from another angle

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Pistol_Pete posted:

Haaretz article had a bit more detail in their reporting, and this one was... i can't say 'worse' than that, but even more insane, i think: they killed two of the hostages (barechested and waving a white flag) on the spot, but the third guy survived and ducked into a nearby building, obviously terrified and distressed; he yelled for help in Hebrew, poked his head out of the building and then went back in again. the IDF troops decided that this meant he was a Hamas operative trying to lure them into the building as part of a trap (?), so then they went into the building (??), hunted him down and killed him as he continued to yell for help. just complete madness.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yeah it's enraging and horrifying. Like... What's the end game? Do they just want to kill people irrespective of who they are? Because that's what it looks like.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mebh posted:

Yeah it's enraging and horrifying. Like... What's the end game? Do they just want to kill people irrespective of who they are? Because that's what it looks like.

They were saying the endgame is the end of Hamas.
'Hamas' is anyone adult size not wearing IDF army gear.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

:whitewater:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
"The end of Hamas" is also complete bullshit.
Bombing Gaza into oblivion and turning a blind eye to violence in the West Bank is going to do wonders for Hamas' long-term recruitment.
Which I suspect is the point. There's no need to focus on fixing domestic issues as long as you still have an enemy to fight.
I wonder if Netanyahu will send Putin a hamper by means of saying thanks for that message.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Apraxin posted:

Haaretz article had a bit more detail in their reporting, and this one was... i can't say 'worse' than that, but even more insane, i think: they killed two of the hostages (barechested and waving a white flag) on the spot, but the third guy survived and ducked into a nearby building, obviously terrified and distressed; he yelled for help in Hebrew, poked his head out of the building and then went back in again. the IDF troops decided that this meant he was a Hamas operative trying to lure them into the building as part of a trap (?), so then they went into the building (??), hunted him down and killed him as he continued to yell for help. just complete madness.

The third kill was obviously an attempt to cover it up.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Like it's kinda insulting to even debate about it. If that's the point we are at, we should abandon the idea of meaning. The IDF can just do whatever the gently caress they want forever because we can't conceptualise their actions any more with our dumb dumb brains.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's pretty consistent with the state of barely contained terror/bravado that conflict situations often elicit. Makes you prone to assuming everyone/thing is out to get you and if you hesitate or deviate from your chosen course it will go worse for you, so you make stupid decisions and stick to them.

Similar thing I think that leads to US cops killing so many people, they get told that everything is a deadly threat and they should respond to threats by killing them.

The organizations that put people in those situations don't want to be seen as carting around a load of unstable murderous nutters so they invent gibberish explanations for the actions and the press doesn't want to conscience the possibility that the enforcement arms of the state are formed out of incompetent and violent idiots, so they just repeat the nonsense uncritically. At each point between you probably have a lot of refusal to acknowledge the reality of the preceding steps that got you there, lots of nonsense ideas and justifications repeated until they ring true enough to let the decision makers continue to believe they're somehow in the right.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 17, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

When the official story is that irredeemable, I wonder how bad the real story will turn out.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Pistol_Pete posted:

The BBC headline is all like: "Israeli hostages in a state of non-life after IDF bullet-related incident" and gently caress me, I'm so loving tired of the shameless bullshit.

quote:

One of the soldiers, the official added, felt threatened, as the men were at a distance of tens of metres, declared them "terrorists" and opened fire. Two were immediately killed while the third, wounded, returned to the building.

A cry for help was heard in Hebrew and the battalion commander ordered the troops to cease fire. The wounded hostage later re-emerged, and was shot and killed, the official said.

Cameron has officially now said he 'would like' a ceasefire. Germany has also now called for one.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 17, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

sebzilla posted:

Crisp chat, motherfuckers (courtesy of my friend Andy)

I've never had these (don't think they are sold in Finland) but if we take flamin hot cheetos as a benchmark, how do these rank in comparison?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

happyhippy posted:

They were saying the endgame is the end of Hamas.
'Hamas' is anyone adult size not wearing IDF army gear.

And also the children, who otherwise will grow up to be the next generation of Hamas.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Did we all enjoy Baroness Mone’s spirited defence of being a blatant thief with Laura Klientssberg?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Didn't watch. Was it funny?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mega Comrade posted:

Cameron has officially now said he 'would like' a ceasefire. Germany has also now called for one.

Wonder why they didn't want a ceasefire when it was 'only' thousands and thousands of Palestinians being slaughtered? But now they do.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wonder why they didn't want a ceasefire when it was 'only' thousands and thousands of Palestinians being slaughtered? But now they do.

because now the houthis scaring everyone away from sailing through bab-el-mandab is costing people money

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My best guess would be global mounting pressure and Israel repeatedly failing to keeps it's word on minimising casualties, they arnt even pretending to try.

Israel is even testing the USAs patience.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

DreddyMatt posted:

I didn't watch but I read a summary and I don't find it funny, I feel really sorry for her. She is so hard done by. Poor lady.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Reset the clock.

quote:

Party sources made clear on Saturday that Keir Starmer was not intending to revive a second stage of the Leveson inquiry into press standards – abandoned by the Tories in 2018 – nor would Labour oppose current Conservative plans to weaken the press regulation regime in the media bill now going through parliament.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/dec/16/labour-backs-away-press-reforms-after-prince-harry-phone-hacking-victory

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I can't believe Kieth doesn't have the spine to fight the press.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

DreddyMatt posted:

Her trying to look sad but failing because the vast amount of facial surgery she’s had doesn’t permit any movement was quite amusing

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

smellmycheese posted:

Did we all enjoy Baroness Mone’s spirited defence of being a blatant thief with Laura Klientssberg?

It sounds... unsatisfying.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The tldr is that 'yes we repeatedly lied about everything, and yes we made stacks of cash. but we did it to protect our family, and that's not a crime :('

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Many non-criminals are saying the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Having read this article, the part at the end is most interesting.

Basically Harry has three other tests coming up against other Newspapers (namely the Mail and the Sun)
If they go in a similar way, then I guess Labour will have to ignore three different calls to reform the Media.