Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

https://noisypixel.net/sea-of-stars-patch-removes-the-completionist/

Lukewarm RPG Sea of Stars will remove the NPC based on Jirard the Completionist. The youtuber was found sitting on a decades worth of viewer donations, having never actually given any money out until he was caught.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Takes No Damage posted:

This is an image of a post that I own and it is theft. Please delete that image or I will have no other choice but to report you to the mod team for punishment.

Takes No Damage posted:

.............gently caress, it's me :(
:hmmyes:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

:smugdog:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Lukewarm RPG Sea of Stars will remove the NPC based on Jirard the Completionist. The youtuber was found sitting on a decades worth of viewer donations, having never actually given any money out until he was caught.

That'll show em

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I didn't know there was a QWOP pizza simulator.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

To actually feel this schad I would have to understand who is this idiot and why he was a NPC on that game in the first place

No I won’t google it

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

ToxicFrog posted:

I didn't know there was a QWOP pizza simulator.
Flash in a pan...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Did the designers remove the jorp NPC in their last game (The Messenger)?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

GrandpaPants posted:

the jorp NPC

that's a laffo right there

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Elias_Maluco posted:

To actually feel this schad I would have to understand who is this idiot and why he was a NPC on that game in the first place

No I won’t google it

30 seconds on wikipedia tells me that his mom died of dementia in 2013, his dad started a charity for it in 2014, they collected over $600k from viewer donations, and gave $0 of that to charities as of 2022 despite their website showing several organizations being listed as having been donated to, and despite the org paying out tens of thousands in "administrative expenses." Someone found a tax reporting form showing $0 in donations and contacted him about it in Nov 2023. A few weeks later he posted a video apologizing and resigning from the board of his charity, and in early Dec 2023 the Association for Frontotemporal Degeneration confirmed it had received $600k from them.

tldr: lovely grifter milks sympathy from his mothers death to start a "charity" that he collects money for them pays himself out of, gets caught, resigns from charity and finally donates the money.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That idiot didn't realize that you actually start endowments that way. You just have to write up a plan to spend the "interest" instead of the initial principle. Then you can claim that you're creating an investment to make bigger impact further in the future. That lets you hire your buddies as board members and consultants to talk about spending it. Bing bong most charities are bullshit. This is also how college scholarships work.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Elias_Maluco posted:

No I won’t google it

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Seems pretty extreme to me.

Yeah, didn't donate the money, but also didn't spend the money and sent it out shortly after being called out. I think if Jirard was actually interested in scamming people he'd have embezzled the cash.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The General posted:

Yeah, didn't donate the money, but also didn't spend the money and sent it out shortly after being called out. I think if Jirard was actually interested in scamming people he'd have embezzled the cash.

Nah, if you play gently caress gently caress games with donations having your vanity character removed from some game seems like a pretty reasonable reaction.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

The General posted:

The total amount raised was ~$650,000, he donated $600,000 and the rest went to ~~administrative expenses~~ (to himself I assume)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

davidspackage posted:

"GIVE ME BACK MY APE!!"

- Mel Gibbon, Ransom (1996)

i :lol:ed at mel gibbon

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

The General posted:

Yeah, didn't donate the money, but also didn't spend the money and sent it out shortly after being called out.

He actively raised money during charity streams by talking about the important work they were doing with organizations all around the world, while not doing anything. He claimed to be one the main funding partners with UCSF, while never giving them a penny. They also included a statement on their website from the supposed UCSF president. But the president they used was removed from UCSF over finances in 2007 (they started fundraising in 2014). He repeatedly talked about monetarily helping families who had suffered from the impact of the disease, while not providing a single cent. There's also tens of thousands of dollars that are missing. During charity drives, he repeatedly spoke in past and present tense about all of the important work and impact the charity had caused.

I think the charity was grossly mismanaged and that he repeatedly lied and benefited from doing so. It helped him cultivate a brand of being a good guy that does good things, boosted his image and profile, led to him meeting and establishing relationships with folks in Hollywood, etc. That money was never going to go to where it was supposed to go without public pressure and damage to his reputation. I hope YouTuber middleman charities loving die because they're harmful. Run a stream that donates the money straight to a cause!

biceps crimes has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Dec 17, 2023

The General
Mar 4, 2007

quote:

There's also tens of thousands of dollars that are missing.
That's news to me. From what I had heard, all the money was accounted for, just not sent out until very recently. And I agree, middlemen are garbage.

Somebody else said administrative fees got paid out, and yeah. Welcome to basically every charity ever. I still laugh when I think about the bunch of nerds who had a meltdown when they found out GDQ staff gets paid.

At the end of the day, I just believe Jirard to be extremely incompetent and not actively malicious. I feel like even if it was a long con, after 5 or 6 years he'd have starting dipping into the funds. But maybe it took the extra week after being called out to divest where the money actually went to send it out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeah man whomst amongst us wouldn't have collected six hundred thousand US dollars in the name of charity and then sat on it for over half a decade

The time for giving him the benefit of the doubt is long past.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

The General posted:

That's news to me. From what I had heard, all the money was accounted for, just not sent out until very recently. And I agree, middlemen are garbage.

Somebody else said administrative fees got paid out, and yeah. Welcome to basically every charity ever. I still laugh when I think about the bunch of nerds who had a meltdown when they found out GDQ staff gets paid.

At the end of the day, I just believe Jirard to be extremely incompetent and not actively malicious. I feel like even if it was a long con, after 5 or 6 years he'd have starting dipping into the funds. But maybe it took the extra week after being called out to divest where the money actually went to send it out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How many times have you had your wallet inspected?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

No more than five times. Six tops.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The General posted:

administrative fees got paid out

quote:

he'd have starting dipping into the funds.

:thunk:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Look at every charity ever. Administrative fees get paid out. That's why you start one, so you can take your legal cut off the top. And why I agree middleman orgs are bullshit. Just you should actually be doing something with the bulk of it. In the end, I am just easily impressed and easy going. Jirard got called out, did some stammering and made some dumb statements and sent out $600k.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

The General posted:

not actively malicious

you understand that he repeatedly and knowingly lied about his charity's activities and actions in order to solicit further donations from the public, who were donating with the understanding that their donations were going toward a good cause? and that he benefited from his knowing and repeated lies?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I just clicked last post and haven't read are we talking about Plinkey?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You can give him the benefit of the doubt and still take away his tribute NPC because you have determined not to honor people who are too incompetent to transfer money in a timely way.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Ashcans posted:

You can give him the benefit of the doubt and still take away his tribute NPC because you have determined not to honor people who are too incompetent to transfer money in a timely way.

Yeah even if his only crime is being an idiot, he was a massive loving idiot about this and deserves consequences, this being a rather light consequence too.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The General posted:

Look at every charity ever. Administrative fees get paid out. That's why you start one, so you can take your legal cut off the top. And why I agree middleman orgs are bullshit. Just you should actually be doing something with the bulk of it. In the end, I am just easily impressed and easy going. Jirard got called out, did some stammering and made some dumb statements and sent out $600k.

Explaining how he dipped into the funds doesn't mean he didn't. Removing his vanity npc isn't an extreme reaction to this.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Sweet god just execute him or something. Anything except this!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
https://i.imgur.com/hCbzifP.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/N3T8Mqn.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/2WMXwa9.mp4

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
wtf lol

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
ptsd is no laughing matter

well, except for those guys apparently

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lmfao

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Maybe she's part red panda?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/yYnS9D2.mp4

Has sound.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah man whomst amongst us wouldn't have collected six hundred thousand US dollars in the name of charity and then sat on it for over half a decade

The time for giving him the benefit of the doubt is long past.

He sat on the money. For a decade. Specifically the last decade.

He destroyed close to 200k through inflation.

E. I was blinded by shock and made dumb assumptions. He didn't actually accumulate all the donated money all at once, did he.

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Dec 17, 2023

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The General posted:

The money thats missing is from his charity golf tournament. Basically it was making money that was also supposed to go to charity and at some point stopped making a penny otherwise the big pot of money would have been larger. So what happened to the cash that sponsors were paying to have tables and contributed to the tournament?

Linked timestamped video about the Golf Tourney by Jobst with some numbers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ6tYkStri4&t=226s

Blackchamber has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Dec 17, 2023

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Also the guy is on video saying many times over many years that all admin fees would be handled by the people themselves and that every single cent would go to the charity. He was also recorded saying several times that the charity wa the biggest sponsor of someone, even though that was obviously a total lie as they'd never donated anything to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

BOB SAGAT