Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

stealie72 posted:

That's basically everywhere past the last bus stop. The average person in downtown Jackson Mississippi has a more progressive mindset than the average person in Massachusetts farmland.

I can believe it. Had a job in early 2021 that required me to drive around large parts of rural western Mass and there was no shortage of Trump banners and even the occasional Confederate flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, my parents retired to rural Central NY and it's chuddy as gently caress. So many homemade trump signs.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm cool with the cities, it's specifically the people in between that are backwards and regressive.

Whether it's WA, NC, FL, or TX I've yet to drive through a rural area and not see a bunch of trump bullshit.

Hicks seem to embrace being regressive shitheads.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I dread 2024, the fact that we have to fend off Trump yet AGAIN is just loving insane to me.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Mustang posted:

Hicks seem to embrace being regressive shitheads.
This has pretty much always been true and the republican party has been happy to embrace this for a century.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Yeah there are tons of great people in the south and its a far cry from a "cesspit", though that lind of language has been used for generations to describe the many communities of color that exist there. America's many problems are not relegated to "the south" by any stretch of the imagination.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 17, 2023

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Definitely not talking about them.

Specifically it's the small town white folks of North and South Carolina that my family has lived in for centuries. Without fail the few times I go back and visit someone I previously thought was a decent human being will say something racist or homophobic. It's like a switch was flipped in 2016 and now they get to openly say every hosed up thing that comes to mind.

Personally I've given up on that part of America, I think they're a lost cause. The small towns of other parts of America don't seem much different, other than being much less religious. Just as backwards though.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Giving up on those folks is what got us in this situation and further giving up will not improve things, hth

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
It's a tough sell to care about people who want you dead.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Tough to feel sympathetic to folks that deny the humanity of gay and trans people, or try to sweep away the history of their black neighbors because it might make a white person uncomfortable. They're actively choosing to be like this, they're responsible for their own choices. They can choose to be better (they won't).

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Mustang posted:

Tough to feel sympathetic to folks that deny the humanity of gay and trans people, or try to sweep away the history of their black neighbors because it might make a white person uncomfortable. They're actively choosing to be like this, they're responsible for their own choices. They can choose to be better (they won't).
It's hard to think they ate redeemable when they lose their poo poo publicly at the slightest hint of decency while bitching about the woke mind virus. I get they have brain poisoning from the right wing mediasphere, but again, they choose to ignore the part of their beloved Bible where Jesus tells them to be chill and where Yaweh tells them to be nice to immigrants.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Kith posted:

Giving up on those folks is what got us in this situation and further giving up will not improve things, hth

In 2021, I was on a bike tour that went through a really wealthy part of New Jersey (still close enough to NYC to be considered part of the city's suburbs) and came across numerous huge fancy houses with huge TRUMP 2020 banners and Thin Blue Line flags. These houses had to have been worth millions, and the late-model BMWs, Suburbans and Teslas in the driveways didn't point to anyone facing "economic anxiety."

At this point, if someone is still a Trump supporter, they're openly admitting that they're cool with the xenophobia, authoritarianism and violence that he's unabashedly offering. I'd rather give up on those folks then legitimize them.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

In 2021, I was on a bike tour that went through a really wealthy part of New Jersey (still close enough to NYC to be considered part of the city's suburbs) and came across numerous huge fancy houses with huge TRUMP 2020 banners and Thin Blue Line flags. These houses had to have been worth millions, and the late-model BMWs, Suburbans and Teslas in the driveways didn't point to anyone facing "economic anxiety."

At this point, if someone is still a Trump supporter, they're openly admitting that they're cool with the xenophobia, authoritarianism and violence that he's unabashedly offering. I'd rather give up on those folks then legitimize them.

at this point?? it has always been the case, or did you forget how excited his base was when he used the term shithole countries?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Even in the Trump infested wastelands of Upstate NY, I didn't hear white people casually throw around the N word like I did during my 2 days in Austin, the liberal Mecca of Texas.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Elviscat posted:

Even in the Trump infested wastelands of Upstate NY, I didn't hear white people casually throw around the N word like I did during my 2 days in Austin, the liberal Mecca of Texas.

Austin oddly might vote higher split dem vs GOP, but it always feels more conservative than El Paso, just based on how many moderate dems and conservative white (caucasian) transplants are in Austin.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

cool cool thanks for telling the 40% of us that have to live here and aren't regressive shitheads that we're a write off

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Currently visiting my folks who retired to coastal NC and can confirm this state is a cesspit full of the worst of us. Truly an abominable experience, and we're in the most progressive part. For reference I live in Kentucky for fucks sake

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

cool cool thanks for telling the 40% of us that have to live here and aren't regressive shitheads that we're a write off

True, I'll admit there's decent people in all parts of the country, but it kind of pisses people off reading about all these new laws red states are devising to target and erase some of the most marginalized groups in our society.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

at this point?? it has always been the case, or did you forget how excited his base was when he used the term shithole countries?

I'm willing to look slightly less askew at people who wrote off Trump's comments in 2016 as campaign bluster, voted for him, and then were horrified enough when they realized he was serious to not vote for him again in 2020.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you don’t like the American south you can do two things about it:

Leave (:byewhore:)
Or
Improve it (:lol:)

Either way, for fucks sake can we mention the American south and not just react like those “Mine” pelicans with cesspit and shithole?

Seriously you guys look like stupid assholes, and I should know, I’m a stupid rear end in a top hat.

Your hatred of the south is not a current event, either.

Back to posting current events:

Anyone see anything about that Synagogue President in Detroit?

It (thankfully? I dunno) was just a robbery gone bad and not a hate crime, whatever we’re defining that nebulously as now. So at least it wasn’t something zany that stirs up the already heated and angry opinions some people have about Arabs, or Jews, or Muslims.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

shame on an IGA posted:

It's in time like this you can take refuge in the passage found in the New-New Testament Book of Bigly Revelations Passage 14:88 "lol, behold" and Trump said "Kill them all, God will recognize his own losers"".

Dont worry we all lose if Trump takes the helm again.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Northerners already tried this once

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

shame on an IGA posted:

What's the difference between the South and Syria? People don't feel they have to live in Syria

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

If you don’t like the American south you can do two things about it:

Leave (:byewhore:)
Or
Improve it (:lol:)

Bitch lol "ugh if u don't like it y don't u do something about it" said every white guy to the minorities. gently caress outta here you can do better because I seen it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Some more great and expected news out of the south.

https://bsky.app/profile/jessdkant.bsky.social/post/3kgppbxam3i2m

"Missouri HB.1739 contains provisions for the immediate dismissal and 4 year suspension from employment for any nurse, teacher or social worker who calls a student a name other than that which is on their school registration forms, or fails to report a non-cis identity."

"school" nurses or all nurses? how would a nurse at a hospital have any idea whats on a school reg form.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I read through the bill itself to see how lovely or overhyped it was and the quote is pretty accurate, and its a pretty bad bill.

The bill prohibits/punished any "school official" from doing those things and lists teachers/nurses/social worker as examples.

In additional to what was already pointed out, it also requires students only be referred to as their "correct" biological sex pronouns as "Entered at or near the time of the student's birth".

The required reporting mentioned is
code:
If a student approaches a school official to express discomfort or confusion
 about the student's documented identity, the school official shall notify the student's
 parent of the discussion within twenty-four hours.
 3. If a student asks a school official to refer to the student using personal
 pronouns that are associated with a gender other than the student's documented
 identity, the school official shall notify the student's parent of the discussion within
 twenty-four hours.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are cis, gender-conforming kids whose birth certificates were amended due to errors made in filling out or transcribing the document.

I’ve heard of discrepancies existing when they go to get a driver’s permit.

I don’t think that legislators thought this one through very well.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 18, 2023

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That assumes they thought about it at all beyond "how can we legislate trans kids into not existing any more".

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Platystemon posted:

There are cis, gender-confirming kids whose birth certificates were amended due to errors made in filling out or transcribing the document.

Zamujasa posted:

That assumes they thought about it at all beyond "how can we legislate trans kids into not existing any more".
It's this.

The only thought process was that their shitheel base hates LGBTQ+ people and they don't give a poo poo what they break proving how filled with hate they are too.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

There are cis, gender-confirming kids whose birth certificates were amended due to errors made in filling out or transcribing the document.

Government being stupid, bad and a giant inconvenience to everyone is basically their whole shtick at this point though. It must be super liberating to go through life while having no scruples or conscience at all

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
They don't see it that way. They see themselves as the pinnacle of morality, and any deviation from their norm is misguided at best and satanic at worst, and they're not inclined to give the benefit of the doubt.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Missouri is the Midwest’s Mississippi.

They came drat close to having a law requiring AR-15 ownership after either the pulse shooting or Vegas, or choose your least favorite mass shooting (don’t) and it probably was that one.

Missouri also has legal marijuana for anyone of age. Truly a land of contrasts.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Missouri is the Midwest’s Mississippi.

They came drat close to having a law requiring AR-15 ownership after either the pulse shooting or Vegas, or choose your least favorite mass shooting (don’t) and it probably was that one.

Missouri also has legal marijuana for anyone of age. Truly a land of contrasts.

“Everyone must maintain an AR-15 and attend drill one weekend a month and two weeks a year” is the best way to interpret the second amendment if we’re going down the “it means an individual right to a gun” path.

Then to implement gun control you just need to have PT standards!

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The one secret trick to slim down the gravy seal operators from Meal Team 6.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
government mandated pt standards would kill 3/4 of the country via calisthenics

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

hobbesmaster posted:

Then to implement gun control you just need to have PT standards!

Yeah, no honest peasent needs a crossbow or metal tipped arrows or bolts. When the landed gentry walks by you should just assume the submissive position like the goatman. Anal stretching is mandatory.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

those well regulated militia clowns wouldnt do pt, theyd sham their way into being medically excused

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Steezo posted:

Yeah, no honest peasent needs a crossbow or metal tipped arrows or bolts. When the landed gentry walks by you should just assume the submissive position like the goatman. Anal stretching is mandatory.

:chloe:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Foreshadowing for February current events:

Texas power plants have no responsibility to provide electricity in emergencies, judges rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Texas keeps getting cooler