Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I would absolutely watch an Aronofsky children's film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I have met multiple people in the world who described Aronofsky as “subtle”.

The conversations that followed were neutron-star dense with terrible film opinions.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
mother! is amazing. The allegory is on the nose, but it really just uses that as a framing for one of the best depictions of nightmare logic ever. I've never seen another movie so accurately nail anxiety dreams, partially in the absurd escalation of events, but mostly in how she's always in the wrong, no matter what, and nobody will ever back her up on anything. I always think about the bit where she wants to use her own bathroom, but there's a huge line-up for it, and when she cuts in line everyone yells at her. It's just so well done.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

mother! is amazing and one of my favorite films

Beau is Afraid is amazing and one of my favorite films

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

black swan is good. im gay.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm gay too but the story behind Aronofsky buying the rights to Perfect Blue only to directly copy shots from it for use in Black Swan means I'll always hate him for it :colbert:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

maybe someday we will get the mythical one good Aronofsky movie

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
he also made The Whale, which is such a huge piece of poo poo that it automatically invalidates everything else he's done

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Whale was loving terrible but I saw it back to back with The Menu at a festival and am convinced that is the definitive way to watch both.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Black Swan and the Wrestler are fine even if neither wowed me. Requiem certainly made an impact if nothing else. Mother bored me once the allegory became obvious. I don't feel like I have a strong opinion of Aronfsky really except that he's a little too artsy and dark for my tastes.

I hated Perfect Blue.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I feel like for The Wrestler to really work, you need some amount of grounding in pro wrestling, because the whole thing is eerily true to life for so many true stories. Also it's very funny that a movie nominated for multiple Oscars also featured Necro Butcher.

It's me, one of those weird people who loved Beau is Afraid and hated mother!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think the problem with Aronofsky is that if he hits 'fine' (and worse, peaks at 'fine') it's a net negative. The bar is higher for him, for whatever reason. Like if Nolan or Scorsese makes a movie where the best review says it's 'watchable' that would be pretty scathing I think.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I feel like for The Wrestler to really work, you need some amount of grounding in pro wrestling, because the whole thing is eerily true to life for so many true stories. Also it's very funny that a movie nominated for multiple Oscars also featured Necro Butcher.

It's me, one of those weird people who loved Beau is Afraid and hated mother!

I think it certainly helps but like the story of a beat down man just hanging on and unable to let go should probably be accessible even if you don't care or know anything about wrestling. Then again I'm wrestling fan so maybe I'm wrong and there's too much wrestling or inside stuff? I dunno,. But it feels like a wrestling movie the same way Friday Night Lights is about football or something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn’t care much about the allegory in mother. I liked it because it portrays nightmare logic in a way that feels so real.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Beau is Afraid was def better than mother! because unlike mother! it didn't take itself at all seriously

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The first act of beau is afraid is one of the best things I have ever watched, the second is great and everything beyond that was just boring. I honestly don’t even remember how the movie ended cause I was so tapped out by the end.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The first act of beau is afraid is one of the best things I have ever watched, the second is great and everything beyond that was just boring. I honestly don’t even remember how the movie ended cause I was so tapped out by the end.

for me it more neatly divided into first half great, second half lame but i more or less appreciated how all over the place it was. it definitely wore its length better than Midsommar.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I'm gay too but the story behind Aronofsky buying the rights to Perfect Blue only to directly copy shots from it for use in Black Swan means I'll always hate him for it :colbert:

At some point I'm going to actually have to dedicate some time to learning what all went on with this, because while the end result certainly didn't serve Satoshi Kon as much as he might have wished, the various anecdotes I've been told have made it hard to tell how much of went on was actually unethical.

Like, I've been told on multiple occasions something along the lines of "people figured out Aronofsky stole those scenes after he loudly told everyone who'd listen to him." Is that Aronofsky being an rear end in a top hat or is that him being above board and giving attribution to a fellow director? How much of this is theft vs what would be a tribute if the other person were also a Hollywood director?

To be clear, I haven't watched Black Swan* and I haven't really looked into what happened myself. It's just how the situation is usually described seems ambiguous in a way I haven't seen acknowledged.

*edit: or Requiem for a Dream

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 17, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It happened way before Black Swan, there’s a scene lifted shot for shot from Perfect Blue in Requiem for a Dream and i think that’s when he bought the rights

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

EDIT: Updated version, top two rows are Requiem, bottom three are Black Swan.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Schwarzwald posted:

At some point I'm going to actually have to dedicate some time to learning what all went on with this, because while the end result certainly didn't serve Satoshi Kon as much as he might have wished, the various anecdotes I've been told have made it hard to tell how much of went on was actually unethical.

Like, I've been told on multiple occasions something along the lines of "people figured out Aronofsky stole those scenes after he loudly told everyone who'd listen to him." Is that Aronofsky being an rear end in a top hat or is that him being above board and giving attribution to a fellow director? How much of this is theft vs what would be a tribute if the other person were also a Hollywood director?

To be clear, I haven't watched Black Swan and I haven't really looked into what happened myself. It's just how the situation is usually described seems ambiguous in a way I haven't seen acknowledged.

I think the story's been distorted by being passed around word of mouth over the years. My understanding is that Aronofsky composed some shots in Requiem for a Dream that took inspiration from Perfect Blue because he was a fan and admitted as such. Then a few years later he supposedly gets the remake rights to Perfect Blue because he was a fan and presumably was interested in producing a remake.

A few years after that Black Swan is released and everyone goes, "Oh! This must have been what eventually became of that Perfect Blue remake he was considering." But then somebody asks him about it on the record and Aronofsky's like, "Nah."

...Which leaves everyone scratching their heads, because Black Swan feels for all the world like a clever live-action stealth pseudo-remake of Perfect Blue (in fact, I personally went and saw it in the first place almost entirely because so many people made the comparison), and you'd think there'd be absolutely no reason why a self-professed Perfect Blue fan who allegedly had the legal right to remake Perfect Blue would ever need to deny having made a clever live-action stealth pseudo-remake of Perfect Blue.

Also, if Black Swan wasn't what he eventually did with Perfect Blue, why did he acquire the rights to it in the first place? It's just a confusing situation that nobody's ever cleared up.

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 17, 2023

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Watching A Wounded Fawn based on thread's advice and it's kind of Evil Dead meets reverse Home Alone in Act 2. Anyways the post processing, lighting and set design all mix well to give a convincing film look.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Oh now there's a laser lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'll put in as much as I can as soon as I can.

Which won't be much but hopefully every little bit helps.

👏👏👏👏👏👏

Every bit means the world to me. I’ve been slacking on the campaign . Had job stuff to do and am just overwhelmed with what I would have to do that I just gave up lol.

But I’m gonna try and jump back on this week. I’ll make a thread here. Might go bad. Idk. But what I have to do to make this thing work is just being Mona Lisa saperstein from parks and rec lol

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

veni veni veni posted:

I didn’t care much about the allegory in mother. I liked it because it portrays nightmare logic in a way that feels so real.

Absolutely. The allegory stuff if fine but it's straight forward and not super interesting, the real meat is the suffocating anxiety of it

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Crescent Wrench posted:

EDIT: Updated version, top two rows are Requiem, bottom three are Black Swan.

I don't think this addresses my question.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Someone up thread said that It’s A Wonderful Knife is kinda the least of the “high concept slasher comedies” and it definitely is, but I think that’s because it’s so barely a comedy that the absurdity of a bunch of it sticks out more and I kinda ended up digging it for that. I mean, by about halfway through I was getting Freddy’s Dead vibes from the weird low-key apocalyptic “this is what happens when a slasher doesn’t get stopped” angle and yet also that the whole thing being so silly that their darkest timeline was literally just that everyone sits around in the dark and also does crack now instead of weed. And yet it’s played straight as an arrow which just kinda loops it back around to being funny.

Weird loving film, I liked it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nikumatic posted:

Someone up thread said that It’s A Wonderful Knife is kinda the least of the “high concept slasher comedies” and it definitely is
speaking of the subgenre of "old movie? put a slasher in it!" stuff, TOTALLY KILLER really surprised me because I thought they'd be all in on Saved by the Bell and hypercolors and side ponytails and windbreakers and instead most of the jokes are about how actually the 80s were kind of hosed up. (the running gag of the school secretary just giving out important/private info was a highlight)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nikumatic posted:

Someone up thread said that It’s A Wonderful Knife is kinda the least of the “high concept slasher comedies” and it definitely is, but I think that’s because it’s so barely a comedy that the absurdity of a bunch of it sticks out more and I kinda ended up digging it for that. I mean, by about halfway through I was getting Freddy’s Dead vibes from the weird low-key apocalyptic “this is what happens when a slasher doesn’t get stopped” angle and yet also that the whole thing being so silly that their darkest timeline was literally just that everyone sits around in the dark and also does crack now instead of weed. And yet it’s played straight as an arrow which just kinda loops it back around to being funny.

Weird loving film, I liked it.

:same:

I guess I just want more stuff filling the void of Happy Death Day if we're not getting more Happy Death Day films (we should definitely still get more Happy Death Day films)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Saw Krampus with very little information going into it other than it was about the Krampus, and, uh, that is not the way I thought that whole thing was gonna go

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Krampus rules, Christmas classic imo

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought Freaky was a good entry into the "Classic films but they're slashers now". I didn't really care for Totally Killer, but I did like Its a Wonderful Knife.

There's a bunch of them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Phy posted:

Saw Krampus with very little information going into it other than it was about the Krampus, and, uh, that is not the way I thought that whole thing was gonna go

CelticPredator posted:

Krampus rules, Christmas classic imo

Hell yeah. Assuming Phy is talking about the good one and not the cheap knock off store brand one from around the same time. Though I guess I can't judge since I never watched it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The one I saw had Toni Colette, Adam Scott, and Champ Kind, so I'm guessing it's the good one

Phy fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 18, 2023

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Krampus is great and even a bit scary. Lots of good doom implications

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Phy posted:

The one I saw had Toni Colette, Adam Scott, and Champ Kind, so I'm guessing it's the good one

Yes from the director of trick r treat

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Medullah posted:

Hell yeah. Assuming Phy is talking about the good one and not the cheap knock off store brand one from around the same time. Though I guess I can't judge since I never watched it

There’s an anthology with a big buff, sexy, Krampus on the cover- A Christmas Horror Story, that’s actually not terrible

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Krampus is such a Gremlins movie I love it

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dang, god bless the kids and all that poo poo but that Five Nights at Freddy’s movie is boring as heck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. It is. It has about 2 seconds of interesting cool moments which is when the yellow rabbit did the scream pose. But that’s it.

But idk whatever. They can have their bad horror too idc lol