Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nichael posted:

Mayim instead of LeVar was an odd choice considering how eminently likable the latter is and how not the former is.

netizen posted:

Whereas Mayim was never really liked and has a sort of forced lizard-person demeanor.

yeah lizard-person is a good descriptor. she's never been likeable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nichael posted:

why? he's likable?

i have a feeling the Very Serious Jeopardy Fandom does not care for things like being likeable, or fun of any kind.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bazingas btfo'd

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

netizen posted:

Ken's just better at the job than she was. He's charismatic and has a good report with the contestants on top of being a Jeopardy! legend. Whereas Mayim was never really liked and has a sort of forced lizard-person demeanor. I never got why they kept her around for so long when everyone clearly liked Ken better.

It's actually kind of incredible how badly they botched the whole Jeopardy host thing. They knew Trebek had cancer for a long time you'd think they could have handled it better.

For those not up to date on Jeopardy lore, the former Executive Producer of Jeopardy was Mike Richards, a scummy sort of dude who had previously hosted game shows and aspired to host Jeopardy. It appears that the entire rotating host gimmick was his idea to create an opening/excuse for himself to host a few weeks and then at the end of the process announce himself as the new host. Similar to, as Ken Jennings put it on a podcast, Dick Cheney tasked to find the best Veep for GWB and then concluding it was himself.

I think Mike Richards got through one (1) day of shooting as the official new host until one of the various scandals/issues from his past (I forget which one) gained traction and he was fired.

From there Sony got Mayim Bialik who they apparently wanted from the start because she was famous and had played a smart person on a popular sitcom, but since she was already somewhat busy on another sitcom she couldn't commit to the entire season so when she was unavailable they decided to have Ken Jennings fill in who is who everyone except Sony wanted in the first place.

..... When Pat Sajak announced his retirement Wheel of Fortune's EP simply hired Ryan Seacrest a few weeks later and then went back to counting their money in Beverly Hills.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

1glitch0 posted:

For those not up to date on Jeopardy lore, the former Executive Producer of Jeopardy was Mike Richards, a scummy sort of dude who had previously hosted game shows and aspired to host Jeopardy. It appears that the entire rotating host gimmick was his idea to create an opening/excuse for himself to host a few weeks and then at the end of the process announce himself as the new host. Similar to, as Ken Jennings put it on a podcast, Dick Cheney tasked to find the best Veep for GWB and then concluding it was himself.

lol, I had forgotten about that guy. If I remember correctly he was trying to play like he was "stepping up" to fill in for Trebek during this trying time when it was obvious he wanted the job.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

dr_rat posted:

i have a feeling the Very Serious Jeopardy Fandom does not care for things like being likeable, or fun of any kind.

What? Spending countless hours memorizing useless facts to be good at trivia isn't fun enough for you?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

netizen posted:

lol, I had forgotten about that guy. If I remember correctly he was trying to play like he was "stepping up" to fill in for Trebek during this trying time when it was obvious he wanted the job.

I forgot about that part. Yeah he was making the brave sacrifice of rushing in to host when Trebek couldn't!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I didn't know until a few years ago that people watched Jeopardy outside of waiting rooms.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

I'm a baby and couldn't handle it

:sad: it’s good. keep on trying

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont remember if i mentioned it here or somewhere else but i kept expecting the grandpa to go "why is everyone acting like ill be horrified my granddaughter is gay i follow her social media how could i not already know" and they literally dont even resolve the subplot i cant even remember whether they say it to him and cutaway before he can react or it just never comes up

The girlfriend introduces herself and the grandpa doesn't give a poo poo, there's a quick shot of the girlfriend and the grandpa having fun at the end.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

love a good joep ep

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Nichael posted:

I didn't know until a few years ago that people watched Jeopardy outside of waiting rooms.

https://twitter.com/starsandstripes/status/1735659406669283436

it gets even worse. this ss looking dude might be the season champion.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nichael posted:

Multiple goons have been on Jeopardy somehow

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Multiple goons have been on Jeopardy somehow

I know someone from lefty volunteering who was on and did pretty well too. She's very nice and cool. I just had no idea that it was an oddly relevant thing for normal(-ish) people to care about.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

it’s a fun show to watch

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

netizen posted:

Ken's just better at the job than she was. He's charismatic and has a good report with the contestants on top of being a Jeopardy! legend. Whereas Mayim was never really liked and has a sort of forced lizard-person demeanor. I never got why they kept her around for so long when everyone clearly liked Ken better.

It's actually kind of incredible how badly they botched the whole Jeopardy host thing. They knew Trebek had cancer for a long time you'd think they could have handled it better.

i seem to remember trebek told them multiple times "ok so when i die you gotta give the show to ken ive been grooming him for years now and hes great at it" and this was just sort of ignored so some rear end in a top hat producer could set up an audition where everyone was set up to fail to he could use that as an excuse to take over the show himself

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

just a episode in and Gen V is so good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I used to watch jeopardy every day at a previous job bc it was on during my regular break time. It's a drat fine show.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Popy posted:

it's fun and good

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Popy posted:

it wasn't what I expected but it was great

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's too bloody. yuck

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

i didnt want to see patrick schwartzeneggers fire penis

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
I have bad news for you on the penis front.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
watching The Outsiders and marveling at how clear every line of dialog is

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

live with fruit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kddZsqjuWuo

"Set your Disney+ profile to TV-MA to stream"

cross posting from TVIV because this is a really funny pivot from Disney to repeatedly stress this TV show is just too badass for normie MCU people

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Remember that one time you watched the Disney channel late at night and they played Beneath the Planet of the Apes and you got nightmares for weeks?

Yeah, Marvel Studios’ Echo is just. like. that.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Laterite posted:

the Very Serious Jeopardy Fandom did not like LeVar for some reason (:shuckyes:) and that was that

he spent like a year promoting himself as the obvious replacement for trebek on twitter and poo poo and then when he got the chance during the special guest host period he wasn't that good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
he should just rehost the inevitable netflix gritty prestige reboot of Reading Rainbow instead

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

he spent like a year promoting himself as the obvious replacement for trebek on twitter and poo poo and then when he got the chance during the special guest host period he wasn't that good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy_sMrsOVJU&t=22s

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I actually really liked It Chapter One and It Chapter Two was straight up one of the worst movies i’ve ever seen

My exact sentiment.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Popy posted:

ive been watching jack reacher and i still dont think i know what military police are suppose to do

maybe catch the guys stupid enough to get caught moving heroin idk

It's always amusing when TV shows portray ex military police like they're some sort of supercop, with incredible investigation skills and badass fighting chops.

I had a great time with season 1 of Reacher, which was patently ridiculous and knew that it was. Favourite moments:

* Even Reacher's parents call him "Reacher"
* How the show stops occasionally for the characters to explain the plot out loud
* Reacher constantly and casually committing crimes because, you know, he needs to so he can solve this other crime

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nonathlon posted:

* Reacher constantly and casually committing crimes because, you know, he needs to so he can solve this other crime

Hey, it was good enough for the A-Team.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

nonathlon posted:

* How the show stops occasionally for the characters to explain the plot out loud

This is an On Cinema "Tim Heidecker" production.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Nichael posted:

This is an On Cinema "Tim Heidecker" production.

For real. It walks a perfect line between sincerity and self-parody, it is great.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Saw Dune again last night, needs more war for Dune part II

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Saw Dune again last night, needs more war for Dune part II

i have good news about Dune Part II: Oops All Terrible Purpose!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

nonathlon posted:

It's always amusing when TV shows portray ex military police like they're some sort of supercop, with incredible investigation skills and badass fighting chops.

I had a great time with season 1 of Reacher, which was patently ridiculous and knew that it was. Favourite moments:

the books are like this too and theyre all very fun

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah i've read two of the Reacher books and they're airport fiction dialed up to insane levels, fun stuff.

haven't seen the show but the first Tom Cruise movie is good, second one was pretty lame

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Nichael posted:

yeah it's poo poo tier even among prime time game shows. just a complete cheek rear end format and game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

yeah it's poo poo tier even among prime time game shows. just a complete cheek rear end format and game

a classic indigi terrible opinion. i was beginning to think our tastes had gotten too similar and you crank out a banger like this