Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

FFT posted:

So does the episode where the pilot's introduced, to be fair.

The first episode is opening the door to "there are other aliens and such in the milky way" which you COULD work with
They just don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It’s weird because the Galaxy is previously a harsh place with gouald everywhere, few friends and danger all over. But also, there’s a lot of fun characters and space racing? It doesn’t really mesh.

The rest of the universe is danger and slavery. Apart from the racing system. It’s very much a Star Trek plot.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

well why not posted:

It’s weird because the Galaxy is previously a harsh place with gouald everywhere, few friends and danger all over. But also, there’s a lot of fun characters and space racing? It doesn’t really mesh.

The rest of the universe is danger and slavery. Apart from the racing system. It’s very much a Star Trek plot.

Yeah, it was a bit silly. But fun. As to how space racing system could exist, to that I say "it's a big galaxy". Or maybe another galaxy. For all of SG1's adventures, for example, they had only begun scratching the surface of all the available gates they could visit.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

redshirt posted:

Yeah, it was a bit silly. But fun. As to how space racing system could exist, to that I say "it's a big galaxy". Or maybe another galaxy. For all of SG1's adventures, for example, they had only begun scratching the surface of all the available gates they could visit.

I think I expected more surprise I guess
Realistically the only aliens we've met are the Nox, Asgard and Goa'uld. Oh and the Unas I guess? But they all get quite a lot of description and discussion when they're found

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Taear posted:

Realistically the only aliens we've met are the Nox, Asgard and Goa'uld. Oh and the Unas I guess? But they all get quite a lot of description and discussion when they're found

There were those 2 bounty hunters in Season 9 or 10 that were aliens.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

My memory was "their systems don't have active stargates" and the wiki says "The Serrakins [the reptilians with the head thing going on] came centuries ago to this planet and helped the Hebridians [the humans] to get free from Goa'uld control. They also offered technological advancement."

Reptilians? Introduced shuttling to a literal prison planet??

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

redshirt posted:

There were those 2 bounty hunters in Season 9 or 10 that were aliens.
The galaxy's worst bounty hunters that were introduced as smugglers in the same episode that introduced Vala, S08E12: Prometheus Unbound?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FFT posted:

The galaxy's worst bounty hunters that were introduced as smugglers in the same episode that introduced Vala, S08E12: Prometheus Unbound?

Oh yeah, those same dudes were gonna take possession of the Prometheus.

They were amusing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

FFT posted:

My memory was "their systems don't have active stargates" and the wiki says "The Serrakins [the reptilians with the head thing going on] came centuries ago to this planet and helped the Hebridians [the humans] to get free from Goa'uld control. They also offered technological advancement."

Reptilians? Introduced shuttling to a literal prison planet??

You'd think that'd make them pretty important, I dunno
Or at least the Goa'uld be mad as gently caress at them

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There was that insect like alien that could make people think he was one of them

Everyone thought there was another guy in SG-1, and Hammond's like "Nah uh" and Daniel's like "Yeah that guy we've served with on PX3-976"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

redshirt posted:

There was that insect like alien that could make people think he was one of them

Everyone thought there was another guy in SG-1, and Hammond's like "Nah uh" and Daniel's like "Yeah that guy we've served with on PX3-976"

I think one of the least realistic things in the show is how they remember all those alphanumeric codes over time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I think one of the least realistic things in the show is how they remember all those alphanumeric codes over time.

We don't see how much time they spend reading mission briefings and having meetings and such. I bet there's a lot.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

redshirt posted:

Rick and Morty ripped this off with Mr poopy butthole

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

Remembering the planet names as just a string of code instead of having any nicknames for anywhere at all. Or using the names the natives use even - although that applies mostly to Atlantis since at least in SG1 they say Chulak and etc.

You know for me the least realistic thing is sometimes how long they take to work things out.
We know that they're all big nerds, they make references to star wars and trek and etc etc all the time. And yet the amount of time it takes Daniel to go "holy poo poo is this a parallel universe" is colossal. It's like the people writing the show think we're idiots and have to have it REALLY rubbed in before a "big reveal" of the most obvious thing in the world. Even as a kid at the time I remember thinking that.

It ties into when something weird is happening and nobody believes our characters. You're seeing Wraith at night? Clearly you're mad, speak to the therapist

Armacham posted:

Rick and Morty ripped this off with Mr poopy butthole

It's a homage to a concept that's used over and over and over in sci fi media and they did it pretty well I think, it's a good episode.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Taear posted:

Remembering the planet names as just a string of code instead of having any nicknames for anywhere at all. Or using the names the natives use even - although that applies mostly to Atlantis since at least in SG1 they say Chulak and etc.
Dakara gets named dropped a lot. Other than that, I'm blanking on planets with names other than designations. Tollana was the Tollan homeworld I think, but that was like a real new name for a new world, and I don't think SGC used the name. Oh, also Abydos. Now destroyed RIP.

quote:

You know for me the least realistic thing is sometimes how long they take to work things out.
We know that they're all big nerds, they make references to star wars and trek and etc etc all the time. And yet the amount of time it takes Daniel to go "holy poo poo is this a parallel universe" is colossal. It's like the people writing the show think we're idiots and have to have it REALLY rubbed in before a "big reveal" of the most obvious thing in the world. Even as a kid at the time I remember thinking that.

It ties into when something weird is happening and nobody believes our characters. You're seeing Wraith at night? Clearly you're mad, speak to the therapist

Yeah, this is always done for some story purpose. The WORST example of this IMO is when that Ancient follows Sam through the Gate and then stalks her, taking a human form. No one at the SGC believes her, and they send her for a mental exam and secretly surveil her. The lack of trust in Sam of all people is preposterous.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

^^the Ori arc had a bunch of named planets, like the ones when they try to find the Sangraal. Anubis had Tartarus and there was the domed ancient place where they got the ZPM to power the antarctic chair for the first time. Jonas' planet had a name, as did the planet where the prometheus got blowed up over. I'm sure the majority are indeed random strings though.

snergle posted:

lol i said that guy looked to much like musk for my to like him when you guys were ranking favorite gouald.

im making my way through season 7 i fell asleep during the episode when sam is standed alone on the prometheus in that wierd gas cloud nebula thing. I didnt fall asleep because the episode was boring i was just tired. gonna fire that up tonight / tommorow. i did like the female jaffa camp episode right before this. i think the loki episode was recent to. that was a fun episode. the two parter where you see anubis's super soldier was cool but the daniel parts drug that down. also the 2nd felcher episode is the worst. it some how beat out the other felcher episode for 3rd worst to me. i think if i rewatched the mongol episode i might dislike it less then i currently dislike the 2nd felcher episode i hope he is never used again

the race episode was fun and it was cool to see those guys again but it was pretty meh outside of the cool call back and the frenemy who is like i may be a bad pilot and a terrible navigator but weapon systems thats an art form as he mcguyvers their communication array to shut down the cheaters ship.

Well I disagree heartily with you but you've seen the last of Felger yes.

Taear posted:

I dunno what your threshold for meeting is, but there's the Foothold aliens, the Native American gods in the trinium episode, the terraforming spaceship aliens, the phase shifting suicide bomber ones with the bald kid, crystal alien from s1, crystal skull aliens and probably a bunch more.

Leandros fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 17, 2023

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

re: the lovely CGI dragon, I just saw some CGI bats in S3's New Ground and they looked about the same fidelity, except 7 years older

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I liked the concept of Felger more than I liked actual Felger. That episode with the Avenger virus is pretty cringe, and I try not to use that word very often. The plot in many ways involves Felger lusting after Carter (a plot I hated in SG1) and Felger being oblivious to his assistant lusting after him. It's just awkward all around, and I get what they were going for, it just doesn't click for me.

I'd put it in my bottom ten episodes, I think.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Beachcomber posted:

Also how long it takes them to set up an Alpha Site, and how they don't run the gate program out of there.

Kinsey had a point in the first season that fetching a bunch of dangerous items/microbes/people/black hole connections and immediately exposing Earth to them was not a good plan.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

PittTheElder posted:

Also how long it takes them to set up an Alpha Site, and how they don't run the gate program out of there.

Kinsey had a point in the first season that fetching a bunch of dangerous items/microbes/people/black hole connections and immediately exposing Earth to them was not a good plan.

This is also a thing about SGU. Granted, I don't think we ever see a direct gating attempt from the Destiny to Earth, but they always say or act like their attempts to connect are "We're gating back to the Earth!"

Seems like the safer bet would be "We're gating back to the Omega Site on M49-931, which has been earmarked an emergency arrival gate point for potentially compromised teams to redirect to. Once we're screened and marked clean, we go back to Earth." Maybe that's what they're doing, but they never say it because everyone knows. That, or they HAVE to go Earth because the Earth gate is the only one with direct access to a combination of Human, Ancient, Goa'uld, and Asgard tech on site to handle anything unforeseen in such a large jump.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Beachcomber posted:

I actually like how this is handled. Daniel remembers the codes for planets with significant archeological/sociological importance. Sam remembers the sites that have scientific value. Cam remembers everything because he was a massive nerd after his crash and memorised every single mission file.

Jack, of course, barely remembers what he had for breakfast.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

We don't see how much time they spend reading mission briefings and having meetings and such. I bet there's a lot.

Theoretically, sure. But on the other hand,

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Leandros posted:

I dunno what your threshold for meeting is, but there's the Foothold aliens, the Native American gods in the trinium episode, the terraforming spaceship aliens, the phase shifting suicide bomber ones with the bald kid, crystal alien from s1, crystal skull aliens and probably a bunch more.

This is going to sound like a cop out but MOST of the other aliens we see in that case are kinda unknowable powerful god aliens.
The ones with the bald kid (the reetu?) they just forget about even though you're expecting them back, I guess they didn't like the effect they had to use?

redshirt posted:

Dakara gets named dropped a lot. Other than that, I'm blanking on planets with names other than designations. Tollana was the Tollan homeworld I think, but that was like a real new name for a new world, and I don't think SGC used the name. Oh, also Abydos. Now destroyed RIP.

Yea as I say, mostly considering Atlantis here. Even the Genaii homeworld doesn't get a name

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
stupid, sexy, Jackson :mad:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

crispix posted:

stupid, sexy, Jackson :mad:

Look the show just wanted to realistically depict how hot archaeologist and linguists are. All that sitting in dark rooms reading dusty old books just makes people hot as hell, and I'm just glad the show was brave enough to represent that, rather than just doing the easy thing casting your typical plain and unhealthy pale typical hollywood actor.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

jackson starting to get shots where he's working out late in the series is always funny.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

SRQ posted:

jackson starting to get shots where he's working out late in the series is always funny.

lifting like a quarter of what teal’c is.

the most unrealistic thing of the whole show is how nice all their homes are. unless they get an insane amount of combat pay I don’t think the air force pays THAT well

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

TK-42-1 posted:

the most unrealistic thing of the whole show is how nice all their homes are. unless they get an insane amount of combat pay I don’t think the air force pays THAT well

They're all secretly selling alien technology to the private sector.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

TK-42-1 posted:

How big a raise do you get for each time you save the world?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

Jackson should be making bank, he's a private contractor. Teal'c is essentially confined to base, loosely. I'd love to know how much he is paid. Is it in dollars, or in Jaffa Bucks? He buys things, so he has some dollars.

Sam's place is a small house, but nice. She drives a nice car. What do Captains/Majors/Lt. Colonels make?

Jack might be the only real unrealistic one. He went through a divorce soon before the show starts. I don't know the details, but it can't help his bank account. But his house is really nice, in a seemingly quiet upscale neighborhood. I mean, not like "mansion" nice, but like a "Mike Brady design" nice.

He also has a cabin on a pond.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I presume Jack cleaned out his wife in the divorce. He spent it all on the f250 and the pond.

Carter is a huge success and a generals daughter, house is nice but pretty big for one person. It’s such a 90s/2000s TV house. Her home and clothes really don’t match the character. Sometimes she’s a motorcycle nerd who lives for science, sometimes she dresses like she’s on Seventh Heaven.

Jackson was an outsider archeologist theorist and somehow had that cool inner city apartment, despite being missing for a year+ on abydos.

They seem to eat every meal on base or offworld, that must keep the jello budget down. You’d save money on a gym membership too, as being near Teal’c gives you osmosis gains.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

^^^ maybe she's pocketing half of Jacob's salary (with the rest going to her brother), not like he has anywhere to spend it.

Well he's a reactivated Colonel, so he's probably making close to the upper end of the pay grade, which would be ~$150,000 in 2023 dollars.

The biggest question I had about the civilian world is where that mean neighborhood is that Tealc escaped to when he got stung by that space mosquito.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 18, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's funny when they show the Atlantis crew back home because Weir's house just seems to be a small room

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Wonder what off world hazard pay is like. Maybe there's some saved the world stipends

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

redshirt posted:

Jackson should be making bank, he's a private contractor. Teal'c is essentially confined to base, loosely. I'd love to know how much he is paid. Is it in dollars, or in Jaffa Bucks? He buys things, so he has some dollars.

Sam's place is a small house, but nice. She drives a nice car. What do Captains/Majors/Lt. Colonels make?

Jack might be the only real unrealistic one. He went through a divorce soon before the show starts. I don't know the details, but it can't help his bank account. But his house is really nice, in a seemingly quiet upscale neighborhood. I mean, not like "mansion" nice, but like a "Mike Brady design" nice.

He also has a cabin on a pond.

Officer pay and housing allowance is pretty good, you can definitely afford a decent house if you want to make that a priority. Using 2023 pay charts, an O-4 with 10 years service (reasonable for Carter at the midpoint of the series) earns $8,254 a month in basic pay, and a $2,364 housing allowance for Colorado Springs. Plus I have to imagine they're getting some kind of harzardous duty pay; the Air Force pays a hardship bonus when their people go TDY to a Navy base so going to another planet probably meets the same requirements.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

They also all live in and around Colorado Springs, which I can't imagine is/was that expensive in terms of housing prices. Jack pulling down 6 figures from the start of the series would probably let him afford his house easy.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

As people have said Jackson is probably making plenty of money given he's a private contractor.
The rest of them make plenty of sense when you consider they probably stay on base most of the time and have extremely little expenses.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also they probably all made plenty of cash on the side selling US military secrets to the Goa'uld.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I have so many questions about Teal'c's life on Earth. And in the SGC.

Is officially part of the Air Force? A private contractor? Is he free to leave the base and visit the city?
Where did he get that cowboy outfit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

redshirt posted:

I have so many questions about Teal'c's life on Earth. And in the SGC.

Is officially part of the Air Force? A private contractor? Is he free to leave the base and visit the city?
Where did he get that cowboy outfit?

He's actual enrolled in the coast guard in order to save costs, and makes enlisted pay.
O'Neil found out about this when he was in charge and had him commissioned under the name Teal Silk.