Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Invalid Validation posted:

I had an order I received like a month ago that still shows it hasn’t left China so who knows. More than likely if it wasn’t a scam you’ll receive it eventually.

Yeah thought so, I'm not really worried about getting scammed so much as my package falling off the back of a truck somewhere along the line. Literally and figuratively, lol

I did order a fun super famicom colered GBA shell that arrived in 10 days! The lens cover is scratched to hell but it's otherwise perfect so for 5 bucks I ain't complaining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Punkinhead posted:

I did order a fun super famicom colered GBA shell that arrived in 10 days! The lens cover is scratched to hell but it's otherwise perfect so for 5 bucks I ain't complaining

You sure it's not just protective film on top that looks scratched up?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

They will also burn out over time.

:same:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Cached Money posted:

You sure it's not just protective film on top that looks scratched up?

Sadly yeah, but I'm gonna drop a backlit screen into it anyways and I'm sure the kit comes with a new lens

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

kemikalkadet posted:

Hopefully if they do actually send tool steel it'll be the grade they say or you'll have a frustrating time hardening it. Did they specify the grade?

No. Hopefully it holds an edge.

HSS White Steel Piece Knife Embryo CNC Turning Tools High Performance
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNIBZHm

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

PokeJoe posted:

No. Hopefully it holds an edge.

HSS White Steel Piece Knife Embryo CNC Turning Tools High Performance
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNIBZHm

Ah right it's HSS, it should already be hardened. I was thinking of the stuff you buy annealed for making blades like O1, which is a lot easier to shape but need hardening yourself. HSS will take a lot of grinding but it's hard to gently caress up the temper on it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

Can't be worse than the fingernail shredder

Oh, why not?

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

While we're on knife talk, what do people think of those pocket knives that use scalpel blades? I've seen plenty of those listed, but never looked for the blades for sale. The premise makes sense to me, being able to replace rather than sharpen some unknown quality crap steel.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Big Mac posted:

While we're on knife talk, what do people think of those pocket knives that use scalpel blades? I've seen plenty of those listed, but never looked for the blades for sale. The premise makes sense to me, being able to replace rather than sharpen some unknown quality crap steel.

What's the advantage compared to a snap-off?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
For those following the poo poo insoles saga, a new development! Super soft pain!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
This is wild but maybe a bit to expensive for me.

Kinocean New Offshore Water Parks Underwater Viewing Submarine Hybrid Pontoon Boat For Sale

I like this samurai sword umbrella but we’re entering summer here so not buying it yet.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Double posting

I saw this shark and instantly bought it while distracted by how dumb it looks / before my brain could talk me out of it.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's the advantage compared to a snap-off?

They tend to be more pocketknife shaped, folding, small things compared to a snap off box cutter.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMLoEqG probably I'll just order this or something similar come payday.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Big Mac posted:

upsides:

scalpel blades are Very Sharp out of the package.

replaceable, so if you dull it, you swap in a new one.

size is small, def smaller than a "standard" construction style utility razor

downsides:

cutting only. no prying or or even scraping (which you can do with a utility razor)

so its a tradeoff, depends on your intended application.

mystes
May 31, 2006

don't they also become dull very quickly (like they're really only intended to be used a single time before being replaced)?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Big Mac posted:

They tend to be more pocketknife shaped, folding, small things compared to a snap off box cutter.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMLoEqG probably I'll just order this or something similar come payday.

Oh that small OK.

I have a retractable knife from like the 60s or 70s that has a blade that looks pretty much like that ; can't find it now to check if it's the exact same shape. It's branded with some camera store's logo so I guess it was used with film or photographs. (Used to belong to my great aunt. She was an astronomer so did a lot of photo stuff.) I wonder if I can still get blades for it, because it is a very handy size - larger than that but mostly wider. The slim Olfa snap-off I have is very lightweight but is way longer.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Samurai sword umbrellas always seem like a fun idea, but in practise i think it'll depend on how heavily-armed the cops are in your area.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

mystes posted:

don't they also become dull very quickly (like they're really only intended to be used a single time before being replaced)?

Yes but you can buy a box of 100 blades from your local medical supplier (or eBay) for a few dollars so you can afford to be cavalier with them. They're also slightly flexible so have a tendency to snap / shatter if you apply to much force at the wrong angle. Great for precision work but nowhere near as durable or multi-purpose as a box cutter.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

DRINK ME posted:

Double posting

I saw this shark and instantly bought it while distracted by how dumb it looks / before my brain could talk me out of it.

I bought one for son and one for nephew during the great tortilla blanket binge the other night.

I had a pocket knife/box cutter for a while years ago. Limited utility except for cutting, quite small, so could stay on key chain. Probably also lost eventually because small.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I've been debating getting into "Diamond Painting" for a while, now, but it seems like a big commitment to get one of those huge poster-sized kits. So, when I found this A5-sized Diamond Painting cover notebook, I thought I'd start small and see if I like it. I needed a notebook like this, anyway (it's surprisingly difficult to find a notebook with blank pages, ie. no lining/dots!).
This is the model I ordered:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

cyberia posted:

Yes but you can buy a box of 100 blades from your local medical supplier (or eBay) for a few dollars so you can afford to be cavalier with them. They're also slightly flexible so have a tendency to snap / shatter if you apply to much force at the wrong angle. Great for precision work but nowhere near as durable or multi-purpose as a box cutter.

It also depends greatly on the medium your working with, I use scalpels for paper craft and they last quite a while before I need to replace them.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

In my experience those surgical blades last a good while if you don't try to cut something too hard with them. Great for paper, plastic, etc.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They last a few minutes on wood, but you only want them for the fiddly bits. As a penny component you can't expect much more.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

I've been debating getting into "Diamond Painting" for a while, now, but it seems like a big commitment to get one of those huge poster-sized kits. So, when I found this A5-sized Diamond Painting cover notebook, I thought I'd start small and see if I like it. I needed a notebook like this, anyway (it's surprisingly difficult to find a notebook with blank pages, ie. no lining/dots!).

Looks cool - I ordered several ages ago not really considering the time investment and that my kids might not bother. Oops. Maybe over the holidays…

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Wow they combined paint by numbers with micro plastics, great job China

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Armacham posted:

Wow they combined paint by numbers with micro plastics, great job China

Those are clearly macroplastics.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

sleepy gary posted:

Those are clearly macroplastics.

TBF many of those look like they’d be under 5mm in size and as such qualify as microplastics.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I'd much rather have mesoplastics from Ali products than mesothelioma.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Does anyone have a good source for Tiffany "inspired" sunglasses? I found a pair I really like, but would be wearing kind of on a lark, and $225+ is way, way too much to pay for that nonsense. I ran an image search through Ali and didn't get quite close enough in looks.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Tiffany lamps or the 1987 Mall Tour Tiffany?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Tiffany lamps or the 1987 Mall Tour Tiffany?
As in the forgotten Trump child.

No, it's actually the Tiffany you'd have breakfast at.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hirayuki posted:

As in the forgotten Trump child.

I just looked them up. They look cool but wow what a racket. Sunglass Hut wants like $500US. 😬

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Hirayuki posted:

I think I remember that film, and as I recall we both kind of liked it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

fischtick posted:

I think I remember that film, and as I recall we both kind of liked it.

Imagining the singer of that song going “that Mickey Rooney does the best impressions!”

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Happy with my latest haul from Ali. Was looking at random diecast cars then fell into a rabbit hole of finding 1:64 dioramas of convenience stores, McDonalds, etc.

Story time - early in the year I visited Japan, rented a classic car and by happenstance found myself at a 7 eleven with a group of drifters that owned the same car, and they invited me on a cruise to the mountains. As a dumb westerner with an affinity for Japanese cars, this was incredible.

When I saw this 7 eleven diorama I decided to make a little memento to that adventure on my shelf. I even found some closely matching cars!

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 22, 2023

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Isometric Bacon posted:

Happy with my latest haul from Ali. Was looking at random diecast cars then fell into a rabbit hole of finding 1:64 dioramas of convenience stores, McDonalds, etc.

That is so cool. Seeing things like this, until 2 minutes ago I had no idea existed, but done so well, that made me smile.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Neat

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Isometric Bacon posted:

Story time - early in the year I visited Japan, rented a classic car and by happenstance found myself at a 7 eleven with a group of drifters that owned the same car, and they invited me on a cruise to the mountains. As a dumb westerner with an affinity for Japanese cars, this was incredible.

When I saw this 7 eleven diorama I decided to make a little memento to that adventure on my shelf. I even found some closely matching cars!

This belongs in the #blessed thread

#AliExblessed

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 22, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You can rent AE86 in Japan? That's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Best post in this thread, no contest. An AliExpress purchase to celebrate the power of friendship??